For Love's Worth

On Thin Air

Suddenly, it felt like the world was opening up under her feet. Ready to swallow her into its unknown depths.

Speechless she stared at her father. Today she couldn’t figure him out. The man she had so much animosity for.

“Do you think I’ll let just any man treat you so lowly?” her father gruffly asked. “Enough. Pack and leave that house. I’ll figure everything out for you.”

Her impatience had thawed. Namjoo was no longer in the mood to humor him. She stood and grabbed the knob.

“You are an insolent fool!” her father raised his voice. “His son disrespected you! You think his brother won’t be the same? Blood doesn’t lie, Namjoo. You can break everything in my house, but don’t forget this is my house and I am your father. I can replace whatever you step on, but what will they do?”

Everything about her from head to toe grew terse. A flush of emotions flurried through her. Weaving a tight ball in her chest. Twisting the knob she left her father’s office.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Early morning it was. His father just left for work. Grumbling at the breakfast table, shoving away his half-eaten plate. Looking at him distastefully, like he was the biggest embarrassment to his family. That he was a sight the old man could not stand.

“The bastard,” Sangki mumbled holding the ice pack up to his swollen face. One of his eyes was completely shut. His lips was entirely blue-purple. His reflection was unrecognizable in the mirror. Identical to a rotten white onion.

He wanted to throw a rock into the mirror. Trample on everything in his home. Then remind his father which one of his sons still stood by him. Because it seemed unlikely Sehun gave any two cents about them anymore. He would turn his back on them because of that woman.

Does he even care to come back home just to see you?! Sangki wanted to screech. Did his foolish father believe that Sehun would always bow down at his feet? What kind of moron was his father to think Sehun could fix a like Namjoo? She would be the one grooming him to pull out that sword and stab the old man in the back.

Grabbing Seoyun’s foundation compact he threw it into the mirror. Causing a crack. Huffing like a wild beast. Thinking he could have had Namjoo. Tasted her flesh if they hadn’t been interrupted. It excited him just thinking about her fighting him when Seoyun lay there like a dead fish. Then he’d wait it out a month before telling everyone Namjoo loved him and was carrying his child.

His child.

Sangki breathed a laugh. That would be the biggest stab to Sehun’s back.

But reality sank in and he bit down on his teeth. Hard.

He hated him.

Sehun didn’t deserve the house.

Sehun didn’t deserve Kim Namjoo.

“Here.” Seoyun took the warm ice pack from him. Replacing it with a cool one.

“The ?” he cursed. “Make some noise when you come in the room!”

“I’m sorry. You seemed so dazed,” Seoyun softly said.

Sangki scowled at her and turned when there was a knock on the door. One of the housekeepers announced, “The Chairman is here. He would like to see you.”

The Chairman was Namjoo’s father. He wanted to see him? Oh Sangki? Now he liked the sound of that. Shoving the fresh ice pack into Seoyun’s hands he got up from where he was sitting on her vanity bench and walked out.

What if, he wondered, Namjoo’s father saw something in him? What if, he hoped, her father wanted him instead of Sehun?

He cackled underneath his breath. Consciously touching his swollen face as he entered the dining room, where Namjoo’s father was already sitting. Sipping from a warm cup of tea. Another porcelain tea cup was waiting for him across from the Chairman.

“Please excuse my face,” Sangki made himself comfortable into his chair. “I apologize that you have to see me like this.”

Namjoo’s father laughed. It came out sounding like a low rumble in his throat. Sipping his tea, “Brother’s scuffle huh?”

Shyly smiling, “Yes.”

“They say the one who started it suffers the most. Karma, I believe, is what it’s called.” Namjoo’s father calmly began. “I saw my son-in-law this morning. He still looks pretty fresh.”

Sangki’s cool stance faltered. “I’m sorry, Chairman. I don’t understand…”

He clamped his eyes as the warm tea splashed into his face. Burning his skin. The bruises on his face screamed. That fast, the Chairman reached across the table. Gripping onto the collar of his shirt. Yanking him forward.

“If my daughter was involved in this scuffle,” he threatened, “if my son-in-law or you dare put your vicious hand on her, you best find a place to hide.” Shoving him back into his seat the Chairman shot him a heavy stare. “As long as I am alive, my daughter can riot wherever she pleases, but I have never disowned her. If your family fails me, I am taking her back.”

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Namjoo laughed underneath her breath as she hurried down the stairs. Baffled. Stupefied. Feeling like she had been tricked. And for some strange reason, felt hurt.

Renounce the marriage?

Renounce the marriage?!

Who the hell did her father think he was to easily say those ty words to her?! After he’d made her marry into the Oh family! He had gone to all means thrashing her around to make the wedding day happen!

Renounce the marriage!

Namjoo brushed her hair back. Exasperated. Filled with disbelief. She couldn’t believe this. She couldn’t!

“Would you like some water before you leave?” A voice made her stop at the bottom of the stairs. Abruptly turning, Namjoo saw Leah standing in the hall smiling. A part of her broke for the familiarity of what home had been. With her best friend.

So suddenly, fresh tears erupted in her eyes. Rushing forward Namjoo hugged her.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

“You’re peculiar,” Leah commented coming to sit with her out back. Setting down the fresh glass of water with two slices of lemon.

Namjoo took a sip. Gasping from the fresh taste. “It’s delicious.”

“It’s water,” Leah blankly reminded.

Softly smiling, Namjoo wondered, “How have you been? Oh, are you dating the gatekeeper’s son?”

She blushed heavily. “No!”

Namjoo giggled. “Why not? He likes you.”

Leah’s eyes fluttered. “But I don’t think that’s how love works. If you let the other person love you more, it’s unfair, isn’t it? Rather I think it’s more about how it’s shown than the amount of love there is.”

The fluttering high Namjoo had just experienced died down. Pulling on another soft smile, she said, “I missed you.”

For a while it had felt like she’d had no close friend. Hyesoo and Auntie Park were her family, but no one could replace the woman she had grown up with. Hong Leah, her best friend. The person she was willing to give even her inheritance to.

“What?” she asked confused. “Is something wrong? Is your husband being an ?”

“Leah,” Namjoo blinked back tears, “I’m having a baby.”

The friend’s expression froze. Then widened. She let out a scream and kicked her feet up and down. The excitement too much for her body. Quickly covering to quiet herself, “Really?! Are you really?!”

Nodding, Namjoo pulled her phone out. Showing her friend the ultrasound picture in her phone gallery. “It’s still tiny, but it’s right there.”

Her friend screeched exhilarated. Stealing her phone to stare closer at the screen. “Oh my gosh,” she whispered. “It’s really there. Can you tell if it’s a boy or girl yet?”

“No, not yet.”

Leah nudged her ecstatically. “You’re going to be a mommy!”

“Right?” For some reason, Namjoo grew emotional again. She wiped the tears. “I’m going to be a mom.”

Her friend nudged her. “What is wrong with you? And what happened to your face?” Leaning forward she peered at her cut.

“Nothing.” Namjoo lied. “It was an accident.”

Putting an arm around her, Leah rubbed her shoulder. “You should be happy. Smile!”

Stretching her lips, Namjoo gave her a wide grin and they laughed together.  

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Pulling down the mirror Sehun glanced at his bruised face. The color seemed to have darkened after his father slapped him that morning. He’d been embarrassed walking into the meeting room. Each and every head turning to stare. Worse of all, Namjoo’s father hadn’t said a thing.

Sighing he closed the mirror and stepped out of his car. Practicing his smile as he walked up the stairs. The aroma of food assaulted his nostrils when he headed inside.

“So you’re home,” Auntie Park greeted warmly. Saying the obvious, “I think your wife is upstairs.”

Nodding he turned. Thinking he’d check the master bedroom for Namjoo before wasting his energy heading upstairs. Indeed Namjoo was in the master bedroom. Out on the balcony leaning against the railing. Sehun took a moment to admire the view of her. Noting that she was wearing a cardigan on this warm day. Concealing the bandages on her arm.

“You’re not in the kitchen,” Sehun said coming up to stand beside her.

“I figured, why not let them do their job without interrupting them.” Namjoo said. She glanced up into his face. Lightly touching his cheek. “It must hurt still.”

“It doesn’t bother me.”

He stared into her pretty eyes. Promising he would guard his home. He would protect her and their little one. He wouldn’t give up just because he was told to. He wouldn’t take off his ring or give himself to another.

Here, he was happy. Here, was where he wanted to be.

“Sehun.” His heart tingled at the sound of his name. The way her eyes lay on him made him hold his breath. Something in her expression lit up the rest of the world in a brighter hue.

“I love you.”

Awe struck him. His heart rate slowed. Quickly picking up the next second. Thumping faster and faster his lungs couldn’t keep up.

Trying not to smile too hard he turned away. Bashful. Overwhelmed with glee as his cheeks pulled up hurting the sore facial muscles. The bruises, the bruises his subconscious cried out but he couldn’t stop himself. His eyes dashed off toward the forest. Aware that Namjoo was still staring.

“What?” she asked leaning forward teasing him. “Your face is turning pink.”

Gently pushing her back he stole a glimpse of her after conjuring 5% of his courage. Saying in a lower voice than expected, “How…how did you know?”

Namjoo was still smiling too heavily. “What?”

All the joy in the world burst through him. The wait was always worth it.

“Me, too. Me, too.” He kissed her. “I love you, too. Namjoo.”

Pulling her into a hug he kissed her again. Flinching when she accidentally brushed his bruise. Then laughing together.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

After he showered that night he stepped out to find Namjoo reading a book. Crawling onto the bed he sat behind her. Pulling her between his legs and hugging her. Leaning over her shoulder he wondered, “What are you reading?”

Her hair brushed his cheek when she turned. Glancing into his eyes. Smiling so prettily it kind of hurt. Turning the book cover over she showed him the baby plastered across the cover.

“It’s your book.” She told.

Relishing in her star struck gaze, he grinned, “So, you found it?”

“You weren’t so secretive,” she told flipping the book back to the previous page she was on.

Sehun hugged her tighter. “I think there’ll be a bump soon.”

“Maybe.”

Burying his face into her jaw he drowned into the scent of her. As the warmth of her body reassured him she was still his.

“I saw my dad today.” Namjoo confessed. Closing the book she set it down. He lifted his head.

Namjoo’s father hadn’t said anything to him today. All signs pointed to a storm brewing.

“I have a feeling,” Namjoo told, “he knows something.”

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

That easily, Namjoo was on the tip of her toes again. Waiting for something to happen. Throughout the week Sehun’s face slightly healed. The bruises faded just lightly. And then they were called back home. Exactly as she predicted.

She and Sehun dressed in moderate black as if they were attending a funeral. Twining their hands as they walked up the staircase into her house. Leah was setting the lunch table when they reached the dining room. The friend offered her a curt nod without saying anything. The atmosphere was already tense.

Sehun’s family was already seated. Everyone waiting on them, because they had chosen to arrive late. Of course, intentionally.

They had prepared for their grand entrance since early morning. Helping him button his shirt. Sehun zipping up her dress. Eating a quiet breakfast. Now they were here.

Sangki’s eyes were both open. His nose was still taped up, but his face was less swollen. Although his dried lips needed ten dozen chapsticks maybe. Looking more like himself today than any other day. She thought he looked better like this. Handsomely bluish-purple. And for the first time, he wasn’t next to her. Instead, he was seated between Hea and his wife. With Hea, unfortunately, in front of her.

“You look swell,” Sangki greeted Sehun.

“And you, swell-er,” Sehun said.

Namjoo quietly laughed. Quickly restraining her composure wiping the smile off her face she straightened in her chair. Hea glared at her. Why? Namjoo supposed she would find out.

“Now that we’re all here,” her father started off, “enjoy your meal.”

No one touched their food.

“Why, Sehun, what happened to your face?” her step-mother wondered.

Her father cleared his throat to quiet her.

“Chairman,” Oh Shiwoo turned to his boss, “might I have something to say?”

“Go ahead,” her father said.

“I was thinking if we may talk about our children’s marriage.”

“Dad,” Sehun blurted. Namjoo stared at his father wondering what this may mean. Kim Bonhwa held up his hand to stop him. tightened, curious if this had anything to do with renouncing their marriage. If they would really put forth action to enabling it possible.

She glanced at Sehun. Anxious.

“I feel like the quality of my son’s life has been failing him. I am afraid to say this, Chairman, but I do feel that we rushed this marriage.”

Her father nodded. Considering. “I also feel Namjoo is not fit for this kind of life.”

Her brows twitched.

Oh Shiwoo smiled, glad for the understanding. “I would like to suggest, we adjust the family tree. If you will agree, I would like an exchange for Hea.”

“No!” Kim Jiyoo immediately refused. In contrast, her daughter remained calm beside her. “How dare you suggest such a vulgar idea!” Spinning to her husband, “Honey! What are you thinking about?! Tell him no!”

“I like it,” Hea spoke up, “the idea.”

“Hea!” her mother gasped.

Namjoo blinked. Mind blown.

What the hell?

Holding his hand up to silence his wife, the Chairman remained ever the calm man. Turning to his best friend, “Perhaps I should feel honored you would feel that way, but your sons are disappointing.”

Oh Shiwoo’s jaw dropped. “How can you say that?”

A laugh rumbled from within her father’s throat, as if he was enjoying this. “Their faces, have you seen them? So you say, the quality of your son’s life has deteriorated. What about my daughter?”

“Sir, that’s not what I meant. I wasn’t insulting…”

Again with that hand. Kim Bonhwa shook his head, “No hard feelings. I agree, we can quietly adjust the family tree.”

“Dad,” Hea spoke up, “I’d like to be given a chance.” Looking prettily at Oh Shiwoo, “They chose me first, didn’t they?”

Sehun’s father had the audacity to smile at her.

Namjoo was prepared to flip the table. They were all trying to ignite the fury in her. She would blow up. She would!

“We’re having a baby,” Sehun spoke up.