The Plan

On Thin Air

“Where are you going?” his father asked when he started shuffling to his feet. Momentarily forgetting that he was in the company of lunch.

“It’s just…” he couldn’t figure out what to say. His heart was hammering. All he could hear and see was Sangki in his house, and Namjoo was alone.

“Sit down, we’re not done yet.”

His foot was arched, ready to spring his body up. The elders’ grim eyes sat on him quietly waiting for him to proceed. Becoming a gravitational pull pressing down on him. Sehun sunk down on his seat, pressured to obey. An inner voice wouldn’t shut up though.

“Sangki is at the house,” Sehun said. “I should go.”

“What? Already?” his father asked, which surprised him. Sehun stared at him inquiringly. “We said we’d come together later.” Looking at Namjoo’s father, “Didn’t we?”

“Ahh…yes,” the other man nodded his head.

Sehun looked from one to the other. “What are you talking about?”

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Just a few minutes ago Namjoo had opened the door for her uninvited guests. Now she was seated adjacent to them on the sectional couch flicking her nails together. Forget nervous. She didn’t know how to react to the man who had harassed her a few days ago. To the wife who was oblivious to it.

Namjoo stared at the floor wondering why Sehun wasn’t buzzing her back. The damn idiot just sat at his desk all day long. He had to have looked at his phone.

“How have things been with the house?” Seoyun perked up.

“It’s fine.” Namjoo quickly answered then turned when the doorbell rang. Hoping it was Sehun she excused herself to open the door. Wishing she could have choked herself earlier, because Sehun had keys to the house.

“Why, Namjoo, you are home,” it was her step-mother.

Namjoo stared back at mother and daughter. It would make more sense if they were celestial beings who had landed on her doorstep. By accident or with intent to abduct her for an experiment. That would have been better, but her step-mother and step-sister couldn’t just waltz here.

“Would you move?” Hea asked.

She honestly shouldn’t have, but she stepped aside from blocking the doorway. The women filed in. Chins high as they infiltrated her home.

“I’m thirsty. Tell the maid to get me some water,” Hea ordered as she passed. Further down the hall she chirped, “Mom, lets go in there. It looks like they’re already here.”

Namjoo stared after them. Worse than worse, she felt like she was back at home. It was an indescribable feeling that made her feel like she was in the dumps.

Closing the door she walked off into the kitchen, went through the cabinets, and filled the glasses with water.

“What are you doing?” Hyesoo walked in from the pantry room. Shuffling over she insisted, “Let me do it.”

“Keep yourself busy,” Namjoo instructed. “I can do this.”

“Yes…” she hesitantly replied as Namjoo hefted the tray and turned to walk out.

Hea raised her brow when Namjoo returned to the lounge. “Have you lowered yourself to doing such menial tasks?”

“Your father would be embarrassed,” Kim Jiyoo quietly mumbled underneath her breath.

“I believe lifting a hand to help around in the house is something everyone should do,” Seoyun interjected.

Hea snorted appalled. “What is she talking about?”

“Ignore her,” her mother quietly whispered. “She grew up in a different class.”

“Oh…I see.” Hea opened with awe and nodded. Looking at Seoyun, “You must work so hard.”

Sitting down, Namjoo peered at the only couple in the room. Sangki looked bored as hell. Certainly he didn’t care about coming to his wife’s defense. If Seoyun heard a thing said about her she looked unaffected. The poor thing too accustomed to being stared down.

Smiling thinly, Namjoo shot, “I also heard an interesting story that our mother came from a different class.” Exaggerating, “Oh, mother, you must have worked so hard. How many times must you have lifted your frail fingers to do work for others.”

Hea’s gaze turned stern, but her mother was angrier that Namjoo dared to bring it up again. Her long fingers curled up on her lap. Lower lips trembled as her brows pulled down. A dark shade of pink started spreading underneath her skin. Looking like she might explode. One more win for her for causing embarrassment in front of Sehun’s family. Across from them Sangki watched with a crooked smile, amused.

“I heard you left the party early, Namjoo,” Hea leaned forward to look at her. “Was it because father punished you again? For dressing like a skimp? I mean, it’s ok to embarrass yourself, but what about your husband?”

“We left early.” Namjoo turned to see Sehun walking into the room. Without looking at her he rounded the couch and sat down beside her. “If anyone said anything, I also had a word with him, too.”

Namjoo blinked feeling both their legs and arm brush. She also realized Sangki was staring at them now.

“Did you come from work?” her step-mother wondered. “Is it all right for you to leave so early?”

“I excused him,” a lower voice answered. They turned to see her father walking in with Oh Shiwoo on his tail. Just as fast, Namjoo turned away from the sight of them.

Why were they having a family reunion and she didn’t know a thing about it?

“What is this?” Kim Bonhwa demanded sinking into a chair. “It’s barely dinner and everyone has already arrived. We had to cut lunch early.”

No one replied.

“Now that everyone’s here, we should go check up on the guest rooms,” Sehun suggested. Getting to his feet he glanced back at her. Playing along, Namjoo scurried after him.

Farther up the stairs out of earshot she asked, “Guest rooms?”

“They have something to talk about.”

“What’s so important everyone has to be here?” Namjoo frowned. She was irritated and trying not to be irritated.

“It’s…” he turned around to look at her. Inhaling his words he climbed up the rest of the stairs and walked toward her room. “Grab your clothes.”

“What?” she gasped. “We have to, again?”

“They’re staying two nights.”

Namjoo’s mouth opened so wide her jaw could have broken. Knowing their nosey family, Namjoo gathered her things by the bunch. Hea would not get off her back if she discovered her belongings in another room. Or what a storm her step-mother could cook up to get back at her if she knew she and Sehun didn’t share a room.

Better to be safe than drown in uneventful family drama.

Gathering a bunch of her clothes into her arms she lifted them off the pole and turned around bumping into Sehun. The hangers clattered noisily together. She hadn’t realized he’d come into her room. He seemed surprised, too but said nothing and took the clothes from her. Shoving aside the urge to ask why he’d followed she grabbed the rest of her clothes. Tossing them onto his bed she jogged back out. Overwhelmed by a sense of foolishness as she threw her makeup and perfume into a pillowcase because she could not think of anywhere else to store them.

They were so pathetic. Hiding their secrets together and putting on a front. If anyone saw her they’d think she was robbing the owner of the house. This was so silly! She hated her family for doing this to her. Making life so difficult. If they married her off to Sehun their ties should have ended there. Those people just had to keep coming after her like fleas.

By the time she returned to the master bedroom Sehun was hooking up her clothes into the walk-in closet. Leaning against the doorway she heaved a plentiful sigh. Upon hearing her he turned.

“Don’t you feel stupid?” Namjoo asked.

His eyes grazed over her then to the pillowcase in her hand. “What’s that?”

“My stuff,” Namjoo claimed tightening her grip around it.

“Is that everything?”

“Yes.”

“Then lets head downstairs before they find a reason to come up here.”

As he passed Namjoo pressed her lips together. Damn it all. Tonight she had to sleep with him again.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

“The only point about getting married is starting a family,” Kim Jiyoo contentiously jumped into the lecture at the dining table. Dinner was being served, so they were all gathered in one room waiting for the table to fill up.

Like on numerous occasions he and Namjoo sat nearest their fathers. Sangki and Seoyun across from him. His older brother had connivingly taken the spot in front of Namjoo. In reply they’d shot each other a stare without a word.

“Or does Namjoo have a problem?” her step-mother provoked.

Kim Bonhwa cleared his throat. “I’m sure she doesn’t.”

The father shot his daughter a contriving stare. Namjoo sat beside him unmoving. Sehun couldn’t add anything in her defense. That would mean they’d already tried. Coming to that conclusion would only give them an opening to ask more questions. Trapped, he sat there mute as they continued pounding them with the demand for a child as if they were a delivery service that couldn’t operate efficiently.

“There is a cabin out by the reservoir that belongs to our family,” his father started, “lets decide on a weekend to blow off some steam. The weather is perfect this time of the year to go bird watching and fishing. We can even have a barbeque.”

At once, Namjoo’s father agreed. “A trip sounds like a great idea. The children can go enjoy nature. I’m sure it must be stressful in the city. It’s polluted, constantly noisy.”

“Of course, of course. A trip would refresh our minds.” His father gladly added. “You remember the cabin, Sehun? Your mother used to love camping around the reservoir.”

“Oh…” he muttered, but actually couldn’t remember anything about camping. He had a room there he knew. The lock to the bathroom in his room remained broken for years.

“Lets set the date for next week,” his father decided on the spot. “Sangki and Seoyun will stay behind in case any emergency with the company comes up.”

“What?! Why?” it was Sangki. “Why are you excluding us from a family vacation?”

“It’s for the new couple obviously,” Hea muttered loudly enough for everyone to hear. “They’ll remain top priority until they pop a baby.”

“Hea!” her father scolded.

“I don’t want to go,” Namjoo finally spoke up.

Her father sighed deeply. He was going to be upset, maybe angry. At both of his daughters. “You have no choice. Go on the trip as an apology to your mother. You started it, you end it.”

Hea pouted. Namjoo glared.

“Now, now,” his father tried, “everyone calm down. I’m sure we all have disagreements.”

Sensing the shift of topic, Sehun stiffened in his seat. As if to point out that not only was Namjoo’s family problematic but his was too.

Coolly glancing straight at him, he said, “I heard you and Sangki fought. You know your older brother’s personality. Give way to him since you got the house.”

His brow deepened in retaliation. Flabbergasted by what he just heard.

“Sehun didn’t do anything wrong,” Namjoo shot. The smirk that had been reigning over Sangki’s lips curled away.

Everyone stared at her. Each of their eyes beholding a variety of condescending emotions. Becoming more agitated by the second.

“I said he didn’t do anything wrong,” Namjoo repeated defiantly.

“How dare you talk like that to your father-in-law?” Jiyoo hissed. “My god, know to be embarrassed.”

He watched Namjoo tighten her jaw, refusing to back down.

“I’m sure there must be an explanation.” Seoyun’s mouse-like voice interrupted. “Lets not argue. I’m sure there must have been a misunderstanding.”

Sehun’s eyes veered in the direction of his older brother.

“Why aren’t you two talking?” his father interrogated.

For dignity he didn’t want to speak up. Reprimanding Sangki would be a dream come true, but if he talked about what happened that day to Namjoo she probably wouldn’t recover.

“That’s right, it was just a misunderstanding. Two brothers getting a little rough with each other is normal, isn’t it?” Sangki coyly smiled. “No hard feelings, right brother?”

Sehun didn’t reply, which his father accepted as forgiveness on his part.

“All right, now that that’s over,” Oh Shiwoo changed the topic, “about the cabin…”

Dinner was the most distasteful he’d had since moving in.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Everyone split up after they finished dinner. He assumed Namjoo would escape to the master bedroom to avoid her family, but she stayed behind to gather the dishes. He helped.

“There’s a lake by the cabin,” he calmly began. “It’s shallow enough for a swim and also deep enough for fishing. I could teach you to fish.”

Peering up at him she said, “You know they’re planning something, if what Hea said wasn’t obvious enough.”

Returning to the task at hand she turned away, took a side step farther from him.

“Are you angry I came late?” he asked.

Noisily tossing a fork onto her pile of plates, she lifted her head up. Speaking through gritted teeth, “I am irritated.”

“Now, now, you two,” Auntie Park walked over, took the plate he’d been holding out of his hands. “Go on up. Everyone’s already disappeared. Shake it off, honey. Don’t let the negative energy get to you.”

Allowing the kitchen lady to take the pile of dishes from her Namjoo wheeled around to walk off. Stuck together for another night he followed her up the stairs at a slower pace. By the time he reached his room the bathroom door was closed, and the shower was running.

Namjoo took her sweet time washing up. He tried not to look too hard when she stepped out in her tee and shorts. Oblivious she walked past. Hurrying into the bathroom he stripped out of his clothes and jumped into the shower. When he walked out Namjoo was unexpectedly still up. Sitting at the edge of the bed staring out the glass door that led to the balcony.

The bed weighed down when he sat on the opposite end. Silence buzzed. More peacefully compared to the buzz their family had created earlier. The air that had been full of tension was nowhere here. They were just two people whose lives meant nothing. Placed together in a union to procreate.

Sehun peeked over his shoulder to see that Namjoo hadn’t budged. Curious about what was going through her mind. Was it the same as his? Then she moved and crept under the blanket. Deciding it was finally time to call it a night he got up to flick the lights off. The stillness continued. They were laying a good space apart not touching, but he was fully aware of her presence.

“About what you said earlier,” he spoke up, “I was thankful.”

“I was only saying the truth,” Namjoo said. “I’m sick of them coming over.”

Breathing a laugh he agreed, “Me, too.”

That was the end of the conversation he thought. She was just going to go to sleep like that. Then she said, “I’m not upset.”

He moved his head to look in her direction, but not fully. He got a good view of the moon’s rays bouncing into the room, the shadow of Namjoo’s head. She was on her back. The glow of light shining in her pupils, but she wasn’t looking at him.

“I mean,” she clarified, “I’m not upset that you came late. I know you were busy with work.”

“I saw your message,” he told. They turned to peek at each other. Warmth threaded through his chest. They could talk, too he realized. Civilly. Sharing the same cramped space under the same blanket. Like this was so normal.

Then Namjoo turned away and shifted onto her side with her back to him. He turned away as well.

It was warmer when he woke up in the wee hour of the night. He had twisted and to his side. Opened his eyes to find Namjoo crookedly sleeping a little closer. Her head was buried a little lower on the pillow just beside his shoulder. Softly breathing unaware of him. Thanks to the moon he got an exact view of her sleeping features. Could smell the after wash flowing off her. As each second ticked his senses awakened a little more.

But they weren’t at the stage where he could curl up into her. Even though it was a dangerous thought he merely watched until he fell asleep again.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Namjoo only awoke when her head dipped a little lower down the pillow. Awaking when her head bumped into something. Confused she blinked. At first recognizing something very warm. Sliding her head up she listened to Sehun moan sleepily when her hair brushed his cheek. She paused in case he woke up.

She stared at the bulge of his shoulder. Recognized the warmth vibrating off his solid body and wondered how she had moved so far from her side into his. Namjoo blinked into the crook of his neck. Discovering it hard to admit that this felt nice. Shifting a little she glanced up unable to see his face.

Pulling her knees up she lay silently. Smelling his musky scent with her head an inch from his shoulder.

When she woke up Sehun was gone. Feeling better this morning she washed up and changed. Planning to head downstairs until she heard voices coming from the third floor. Curious she took the stairs up. Careful to remain out of sight she stayed nearby the wall. With each step up she could hear the voices clearer, but that wasn’t what mattered when she saw Hea tiptoeing, pressing her face up into Sehun’s, and clutching onto his arms.