The Number of Heart Races

On Thin Air

Bewilderment crossed Sehun’s expression then it turned grim, that Sangki would dare to utter such disgusting words. Sehun nearly shoved him back into the vanity angry because he didn’t care about his wife. Poor, pitiful Seoyun who remained loyal to him even after all their hardships.

“What are you boys doing?” Their father asked from the doorway. “Sangki, get out and go sit down with your wife. You have to go up front now, Sehun. It’s beginning.”

Sangki didn’t spare him a glance as he turned to leave. Gaze square on the ground Sehun in a breath at the absurdity of what he’d just heard.

“Sehun,” his father called again with more urgency.

Lifting his head up he walked out with tense shoulders. For Sangki to think the women were cards he could flip, turn, and dispose at his will made him want to…punch a wall. He stood at the front under the brightest light in the room. An elder friend of his father’s who would officiate the wedding directly behind him.

Underneath his clothes his muscles vexed. Eyes swimming over their families at the front. Each of them watching. Beneath their gazes, he was curious, what was each of them thinking? Relief that he and Namjoo were finally marrying? How many of them secretly wielded their own motivations?

Soft music radiated through the speakers overhead. Everyone rose as the wide paneled doors opened. Bride appeared in her white dress, arm locked with her father’s. The only thing that made them alike today was the blankness in her eyes.

He made a discreet search for Sangki who was watching Namjoo with furtive attention. Maybe he didn’t have feelings for Namjoo, but today his fate was sealed with her. Lim Seoyun was his good friend, his older brother’s wife. Even with Sangki’s proposal he’d never be able to lay a hand on Seoyun.

In the blink of an eye Namjoo had closed the gap between them. Her father was handing her over. Hand underneath her arm in case she fled at the last second. Namjoo didn’t glance at her father or him. Eyes landing on a thin slice of space between their fingers, and for a moment looked sad. Sehun’s fingers cinched hers, her father backed away, and they turned to face the officiant.

They exchanged rings. Sliding the ring over her fourth finger. Sliding the ring over his fourth finger. Then groom was told to kiss the bride. Briefly their eyes met. Leaning toward her he locked his lips over hers. Eyes shutting for a split second before he withdrew. Namjoo steely stared up at him through the half opening of her eyes. He meeting her with an identical gaze.

The roar of applause from the guests made them turn. Both their fathers were clapping with tremendous smiles.

This was it.

It was done.

They were finally married.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Linking arms with Sehun they went around the ballroom. Greeting his relatives, listening to congratulations here and congratulations there. The same love each other, have plenty of kids, be patient with each other, don’t forget this day in the future and so on and so on.

Blisters were forming on her feet by the time Namjoo managed to reach the refreshment table. Grabbing herself a cup of mixed juice she gulped the entire thing down, gasping when she finished. Burping loudly and wiping with her arm. She wanted to tousle her hair, but it was so thickly held back by so many bobby pins she might just cut her hair when she got home.

Namjoo was sick of smiling every time someone approached her. Reaching for another cup she drained its entire content. Wiped with her arm again.

“There are napkins at the side,” a voice interrupted.

Namjoo rolled her eyes at the voice and turned to see Sangki leaning against the table beside her. Strikingly dressed and smelling of good cologne. Maybe his wife’s favorite.

“Your dress is revealing.”

“You have a problem?” Namjoo asked.

“Of course not,” he smiled. “You make it look good.”

Namjoo’s brow twitched. “What do you mean?”

He flushed then grinned sheepishly, “Did I sound like a ert?” he shook his hands, “Sorry if that came out wrong. Anyway, I want to apologize about the juice incident. Can we start over?”

Turning away Namjoo grabbed a napkin and began rolling it up. The wheels in her head spun faster. Burning sparks as it churned faster and faster.

She didn’t know Oh Sangki. What kind of person he was. His personality down to his true nature. There were few things she had collected so far and one of them was that he was a big flirt, and he was a mean jerk.

Boy she just loved men like him.

“My dear brother-in-law,” Namjoo turned back to him amused, “why would I hold that in my heart?”

Eager at her turnaround, Sangki shifted to fully exhibit himself. That he was tall. Handsome. Alluring. Namjoo smiled wider, coyly. Egging him on.

“So, we’re good?” he wondered.

“I don’t lie.”

“Good,” he slid closer till their arms brushed. “Tell me, how is it living with Sehun? Is he nice to you?”

“It’s,” Namjoo carefully thought this through, “fantastic.”

“He’s fantastic?” Sangki asked. “Like, beastly fantastic?”

Namjoo eyed him sharply. The wheels in her mind burning faster now. More seriously now, she asked, “What are you talking about?”

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

“The cake will be cut soon,” Sehun walked up to the round table where Seoyun was sitting. “Why are you sitting here alone?”

“Sangki went to the bathroom,” she explained. “You two look good up there.”

“Thanks,” Sehun said. Changing the course of topic, he said, “Listen, has Sangki been acting weird these days?”

“What do you mean weird?” she frowned.

Sehun glanced around the ballroom. At all the people whose faces and names he could hardly remember. Then through the gap of a middle-aged couple he caught view of the refreshment table.

“You said Sangki went to the bathroom?” he turned around to his sister-in-law.

“Yes.” She replied, lost.

“Come on,” Sehun urged her to get up and follow him.

What was Sangki doing? Trying to stab Seoyun in the back? And Namjoo, that idiot!

“Sangki,” Sehun interrupted them. His brother turned around as fast as the wind. Sighting him then his wife.

“You were here?” Seoyun innocently wondered. Looking at Namjoo with envy in her eyes, “You look beautiful, Namjoo.”

If they didn’t know better, Sehun would think she was trying to set the wedding afire with her dress cut so low. The mic crackled throughout the speakers shocking his ears. He literally jumped and turned to see the officiant on the stage with a microphone.

“Test, test,” he tapped the mic. “Hello everyone. We would like to thank you all for being here on this beautiful day. Lets give a round of applause to congratulate our new couple.”

Embarrassment flew through him when clapping echoed throughout the large hall. He didn’t know where to set his eyes, so he smiled awkwardly. He had no idea they were going to pull this. They were only going to cut the cake, eat, and leave was what he imagined.

“Will the bride and groom come up to the center?” the officiant said.

All heads turned to search for them. The embarrassment striked him twice more when people started glancing their direction. Murmuring one by one. What did they want now?

“Go on up,” someone he didn’t know urged with a wave of the arm.

Sehun glanced back at Namjoo who stared past him at the hundreds of people in the room then at him. Her eyes were bleak, void of humor.

He didn’t want to, but he had no choice. They were center of attention now. Extending his hand he waited for her. The pressure was mounting. Everyone was waiting on them.

Sehun doubted Namjoo but then she took his hand. Grabbing her dress to make the walk easier he led her to the center of the hall where the light shone brightest.

“Lets give the first dance to the bride and groom,” the officiant said.

Again, this was not according to plan. Sehun glanced up and around the room when the lights dimmed, romantically leaving the only light shining on them. A soft, mellow song vibrated through the overhead stereos. The entire room froze, as if waiting for the ballerina inside the music box to start dancing.

Twisting his hand so he could twine his fingers through hers Sehun slowly wrapped the other around the curve of her waist. Pulling her closer until her s touched him. Realizing they were trapped in the center Namjoo’s hand landed on his shoulder and they started moving.

The light weight of her hand made the warmth trickle through his suit. Growing hot neck down when his finger touched the skin at her back. It was the dress he blamed. His eyes settled on the makeup, the false lashes that made her eyes shapely. Feeling the tingle in his chest become stronger as they twirled through the room.

Namjoo’s lids fluttered when his finger touched the skin of her back again. Her eyes blinking up at him as if she could feel the strangeness spiking the air, too. Her fingers twitched, digging into his shoulder then loosening. Sehun’s heart raced, he wanted to say a little, but it was really racing. He didn’t want to sweat.

Finally, the song ended. Once again, the entire room burst into applause.

“For the next song, I’d like to invite everyone to join the bride and groom in celebrating their marriage!” the officiant excitedly screamed into the mic. Instantly, music started pouring out of the speakers before he or Namjoo could escape. A crowd of guests eagerly joined them imprisoning them on the floor.

Two hours later they finally cut the cake. Sehun was ready for bed by the time they were loaded into the car.

When they reached the privacy of their home they split up right away. Sehun actually fell asleep after his shower. Waking in the middle of the night and realizing he hadn’t turned the lights off. He was so drained his legs felt heavy. The wedding had lasted longer than he anticipated. As soon as he reached the light switch by the door he paused.

Randomly recalling the way his hand had traveled around the curve of her waist to hold her during the dance. Shaking his head to push away the remembrance of feelings he touched the light switch, pausing again. Opening the door he poked his head out to an empty hallway.

Earlier, Namjoo had immediately shut the door to her room. She had limped on her way up, but he hadn’t inquired if she needed assistance. Stepping out with a slow gait he walked toward the closed door, wondering if she had fallen asleep immediately like he had.

The silence buzzed around him like electricity. He stared at the white door. Heard nothing. Backing away he turned to head back to his room.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Her feet burned. The moment Namjoo retreated to the sanctity of her bedroom she dropped onto her bed, curled up, and hugged herself.

It was past midnight and she still hadn’t changed. The hem of her wedding dress hung off the edge of the bed as she lay on her side staring out at the night sky. Stars were twinkling. So bright. So full of life.

From since she moved in three days ago, Namjoo hadn’t unpacked. Her luggage still sat on the floor. Whatever she needed she would dig in for. Otherwise, there was nothing in her room to say it was hers.

Exhaustion wore her down, but she couldn’t sleep. She felt…amiss.

Her ears perked to attention when she heard footsteps outside the door. Her eyes moved to the corner of her lids waiting to see if anything might happen. Then the footsteps faded then she was alone again. Staring at the night sky like the void out there might fill the void in her.

As the depth of the night carried on Namjoo fell asleep at the awe of dawn. Waking when there was a knock on the door. Groaning irritated, Namjoo flopped onto her back. Persuading sleep to come back. Then the knock came again.

Pushing herself up Namjoo stared at the unused closet in front of her then to the door with one eye still clenched shut. Sliding off the bed she stumbled, nearly tripping over the hem of her dress. Though she landed with her hand smacking the door.

“Frick…” she cursed shaking the pain away and unlocked the door with the free hand.

“It’s afternoon…” Sehun stared back at her with pinched eyes. Noticing her state his eyes roved down the length of her body then back up to her tousled hair.

“What?” she snapped. “So I slept like this. At least I didn’t creep up to your room in the middle of the night.”

He blinked faster. “What are you talking about?”

Ignoring him, she turned around. “Take my pins out. I also need help ping my dress.”

“What?” he asked surprise.

Namjoo glanced over her shoulder at him, annoyed. “Can you just do it? I want to shower.”

She listened to him sigh which irked her even more, but then he started tugging at the bobby pins in her hair. Her scalp tingled now that her hair was finally free. The strands prickled her back and she turned around when Sehun latched onto the zipper. Their eyes locked from both surprise and the shiver she felt down her spine. Now it was her turn as her eyes fluttered and she turned back to the front. Embarrassed for the first time in front of Sehun.

The pull of the zipper made her purse her lips. A hand pressed into her thigh as her heart raced at the sound of the zipper going lower, lower, lower. As her dress came apart second by second by second. Nervous. in a hard breath as her heart pounced. Abruptly spinning around she didn’t catch the way Sehun jumped back surprised. Breathing hard she stared at him with unnecessarily wide eyes. Weirdly unable to think. Grabbing the door she shut it in his face and tried to catch her breath.

“Crap!” Namjoo hissed curling her hands up into fists. Pivoting she began shuffling toward the bathroom, but nearly tripped when her dress wouldn’t budge. Twisting around she realized the bottom of her dress was caught in the doorway.

God, she wanted to kill herself.

Yanking the door open she discovered a shocked Sehun still on the other side. Quickly gathering the lace into her arms she backtracked and slammed the door close. Face heating up from shame as she shuffled toward the bathroom.

Stripping at last she hopped into the shower swearing again. She had forgotten to take her makeup off. Gosh, what was going on with her this morning.

Creating a wet trail of soppy water she rushed back out toward her suitcase. Flipping it open for her makeup remover and made a mad dash back inside. Sighing when, at long last, she scrubbed the remnants of yesterday off. Suddenly thinking of how she had twirled around the dance floor with Sehun. His finger lightly brushing her . Thinking about him ping her dress.

Namjoo opened her eyes and let out a yelp when the shampoo slid down her face. Today was really not her morning.

After taking her sweet time blow drying her hair and dressing in jeans and a t-shirt she went downstairs. Food was on the table. Gone cold from waiting for her. Sehun was nowhere in sight.

“You’re up?” A young lady asked. Coming over to grab the dishes on the table she said, “I’ll reheat them for you.”

Namjoo watched her disappear into the kitchen then listened to the microwave hum. Scratching the back of her head she glanced around the quiet home, wondering if Sehun had left. The kitchen lady returned with the reheated food and Namjoo finally ate breakfast. Venturing outside when she finished. Swinging her hands back and forth gently clapping her hands when they met at the front then back again.

It was a warm blue day. Summer was on its way. Clouds streaked the sky today. Perfect for lunch outside. Maybe she’d inquire about it later. The grass was super green and soft beneath her bare feet. Felt like freedom.

The land stretched so far out she couldn’t tell where it ended. Namjoo thought she liked it here. This backyard would be her place. Sehun wouldn’t be able to have a say in it. Smiling, Namjoo tilted her head up toward the sun. To feel its warmth caress her skin. Deeply inhaling the fresh air she sat down and laid flat against the earth. She’d dream a little she decided.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

His heart was still jolting by the time he ran off to his bedroom. This was absurd was all he could think. Couldn’t be happening. Shouldn’t be.

At all.

Sinking down to sit on his bed Sehun glanced down at his hand. The hand that had ped the dress. Shaking his head he hopped to his feet and paced the room.

He refused to think about it. The way she smelled nice yesterday. When they danced and their bodies pressed. Trying to avoid eye contact but then also having eye contact. This morning she still smelled faintly of the same perfume. Thought of the way her hair bounced down her back when he removed the bobby pins.

Desperate for distraction he pivoted toward the balcony. Sliding the door open with urgency and stepped out. The breeze blew past allowing him an endless amount of fresh air. Closing on the railing he momentarily shut his eyes. Thinking of years past when he rode a cruise ship with his mother as a young boy. On the deck he stood nearest the edge where the water sloshed up into his face. The ocean cold and merciless. It had been thrilling to be so close to the waves, the darkness underneath. Relishing in the fact that his mother would keep him from falling, always.

Opening them when he wrapped both hands around the iron bars. He liked the view up here. So close to the sky and also far away. Thrilling.

The balcony would be his place.

Everything felt fresh off his chest here. The air so clean. The wind so free. His eyes traced the greenery afar. Dipping his eyes lower until he saw a long speck of white below. Took him another moment to recognize the dark hair splayed around the tiny head.

Blinking, Sehun stared.

It was Namjoo.

She had eaten probably. Finished showering and changing. Why lay on the grass? What was she doing?

Sehun ran his eyes over her. He understood her less the more time they spent together. Honestly, he didn’t expect anything from her. From not knowing anything about her really, his expectations weren’t high.

Except they were married now. Living together. Going from days without seeing her to seeing her every day now. Every morning. Every night.

They wouldn’t be able to ignore each other anymore.

There were no more excuses left.

Their fates were sealed as husband and wife.

Namjoo’s eyes opened. A whoosh of the wind rushed by. She blinked and then stared up at him.  


***it's not solidified, but the good heart pounding tension is there