Undisclosed Acts

On Thin Air

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

After changing, Namjoo checked out her swollen ankle. Sighing, she dropped onto her bed. Staring at the ceiling. Wondering for the first time if she’d had any real purpose tonight.

“I never cheated on your mother.”

Was that the truth? Was she wrong?

What if Sangki lied just to get her into a deal with him?

Namjoo touched her stinging cheek. Thinking for the first time, too, of Sehun. Bringing her home without saying anything. Helping her with her hair. Did he know she only wanted to set the world alit tonight?

Her eyes slid toward the door. Wondering if he’d come by in the middle of the night. Make sure she was sleeping. Eyes back on the ceiling, Namjoo closed her eyes.

What did she expect? They neither knew each other any more than the first day they met. How was she supposed to continue living like this with him?

She missed her mother. A woman long gone.

Turning onto her side she curled up, hugging herself.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Sehun woke up at the break of dawn. No alarm. It was something internal in him.

The usual streak of moonlight landed on the empty bedside, on him. Blinking he stared up at the ceiling. Pushing himself up next and rubbed his eyes. A clump of Namjoo’s hairpins sat on his bedside table. He’d been unable to return it to her, because by the time he made it up the stairs her door was locked.

Getting up he headed into the bathroom to wash up. Dressing in shorts and a tee. Pulled on his tennis shoes and hit the grassy trail outside. A nonexistent lane that followed the woods out into the rolling hills.

On his right, the trees chased him like tall shadows. Overhead, the purple sky followed him. The stars stalking him as he huffed and puffed. Pumping the fresh air into his lungs as clarity seduced his brain. Jogging the far distance until his muscles were spasming and he bent over panting. Walking a few steps before he eventually tired.

Dropping with a heave he lay in the bed of grass. No ceiling to lock him in. A vast sky opened above him. Stars winking farewell because the sun was starting to assault the skyline. Far beyond him a certain orange glow was melting the streak of dawn away. It was an honest sight. The world waking again for a new day.

The view was magnificent as morning started transcending the entire earth. It was romantic out here. So far away from home. From the suffocating world of humans. Of expectations. The choking emotions.

Pushing himself up he sat to watch the sunrise. Timing five minutes in his head then got up and headed back home.

No one was up. Not even the housekeepers or the kitchen ladies. The house a mere ghost of a shell as he slipped his shoes off. Slowly heading up the stairs to shower and change. Not thinking. Not worrying. Until he reached the first door.

Namjoo’s bedroom.

He stared at the wooden block that secured her inside. Noticing that beneath the gap of the doorway the lights were on. No sound, which mostly meant Namjoo was still asleep.

Today, would she be miserable? Or would she continue to be angry? Play it cool like yesterday never happened?

Turning away he quietly headed to his room. Grabbing his keys after showering and changing, got into his car and drove off.

When he returned Namjoo was not yet up, but he recognized movement in the kitchen. He saw food on the counter, a cutting board, bowls, and pans.

“It’ll be ready soon,” the elder lady promised him.

“Take your time,” Sehun said.

He was wrong.

Namjoo was up.

Pausing at the top of the stairs of the third floor he found Namjoo lying on a large bean bag chair. In front of the window where the sun shone strongest. In a t-shirt and shorts with her hair dripping over the edge of the chair. Her long fingers slightly curved as it hung over the side. Her elongated legs slightly arched. She was so still as if she was a mannequin on display.

From where he stood she faced him with her uninjured cheek. Except he took notice of the swelling purple on her ankle. He glanced at the bean bag assuming she must have woken one of the helpers to help bring it up.

Turning away he leaned against the staircase with no desire to bother her.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Namjoo opened her eyes when she heard Sehun’s footsteps fade. If he wanted to come up he could have. She stared into the yellow orb on the other side, wondering how it could be so warm when everything felt so cold. Hanging her head back she closed her eyes again.

The table was being set by the time she got downstairs. Quietly sitting down she patiently waited for the rest of the food to arrive. Silence quivered. She heard Sehun scoot his chair back and walk away. Namjoo finally looked up when he slid something across the table.

“I just bought it,” Sehun told, “so use it.”

Her eyes landed on the ice pack. Listened to him thank the kitchen lady for the food and began putting food on his plate. Namjoo was sore. That was true. She felt so much like today. And she was kind of embarrassed at his kind gesture

Instead of thanks she said, “How kind of you.”

Their eyes met for a moment when he looked up. Taking a bite of his spoon he glanced down while mixing his food. “What’s with your ankle?”

“Nothing.”

“If it’s your father…”

“I said it’s nothing!” Namjoo raised her voice.

Sehun lifted his head up albeit calmly. The gaze in his eyes held a bit of surprise. She knew he wasn’t meddling, because so far he’d not said anything to her about her issues.

Pressing her lips together Namjoo lowered her head. She was overreacting because there were too many things going on in her head. She didn’t want to blow up. She wasn’t in the mood to.

“Can we just eat?” Namjoo asked grabbing her spoon.

She headed outside after breakfast. Leaned against the building with eyes closed. Shifting all her weight onto her good foot before finally sliding to the ground. Pulling her knees to her chest she buried her face in her arms. Unaware that Sehun was on the balcony above her staring across the land, sharing the kind of melancholic solace.

Sehun left for work early the following morning, which was also when the phone calls started. Sangki’s name flashed across her screen. He called five more times the next two days.

“Are you going to answer that?” Sehun eyed her from across the table at dinner one evening.

Flipping her phone over and repeatedly pressing the button to lower the volume, “It’s spam.”

Sehun shot her a frown. Namjoo glanced at her phone then at Sehun.

“So, your brother,” she began, “what kind of person is he?”

“You’ve met him, do you need to ask?”

Namjoo feigned a surprised laugh, “Well, it’s just…never mind.”

Grabbing his glass of water, he took a long sip from it. “Dad would like us to visit.”

Namjoo made a face of absurdity, but quickly released her frown, “But they visited not too long ago.”

“To have lunch,” Sehun explained. “My brother is in the talks of having a baby.”

This got Namjoo’s attention. She thought about what Seoyun had told her. “But I thought…”

“I don’t know,” he said, “but dad wants to have lunch. We’ll be there for an hour or two.”

Namjoo quietly swallowed. Eyes on her phone again then one more time on Sehun. Wondering if she should tell him about Sangki calling. Also wondering what he could do anyway.

As said, they drove over to the Oh manor. Taking a chill pill Namjoo followed Sehun up the stairs to his home. Lunch better be prepared, because she did not want to mingle while waiting. Entering the foyer, she turned to him, “Where’s the bathroom?”

“That way,” he nodded his head to his left. “We’re eating in the dining room.”

“I know where it is,” Namjoo remarked then turned down the hall. Closing the door to the bathroom she did nothing but stand around. She could talk, but she wished she had Eunwoo’s ability to improvise the way he always did to slide his way out of trouble, saving her a few times, too. Amazed because it was the first time she’d thought of him since getting married. She’d been feeling so locked in that not a trace of her other life popped in her head. As if the pressure of a daughter-in-law weren’t so mounting.

Sighing she washed her hands. They would come looking for her if she didn’t show up any minute. Drying her hands against her pants because she gave no what anyone would think she turned to open the door. Literally taken aback when she found Sangki on the other side. Leaning against the wall with crossed arms, head cocked. Most and foremost, blocking her exit.

“You surprised me,” Namjoo told.

“Did I?” he sounded amused.

Namjoo stared back inherently bored. Refusing to flirt with him. She was on her best manners because Sehun’s father was here. And she hadn’t told him about Sangki calling her. Or about the deal she’d made.

“So,” he edged closer nearly breathing into her face. Namjoo blinked. Wanting to recoil. “Where’s your phone?”

“Why?”

“I have to see if you gave me a dud,” Sangki said. “No one’s been picking up.”

“Maybe I’ve been busy.”

“Really?” he frowned. “But I heard you don’t work.”

Namjoo almost bit down on her teeth giving herself away. “Maybe you shouldn’t be calling like you have nothing else to do. Maybe you should be keeping your pretty wife company.”

Sangki’s eyes narrowed.

“Are you done yet?” Sehun interrupted.

They turned to see him staring at them from down the hallway. Breathing more lightly Namjoo managed to squeeze her way out from Sangki’s thick body and the bathroom. Making a show of grabbing Sehun’s arm when she reached him.

“Namjoo, hi. I’m glad you came,” Seoyun immediately greeted. Unlike her, Seoyun offered to help in the kitchen. The classy wife was in an apron and oven mitts. Setting down a steaming bowl of soup she removed the lid. “We prepared a lot today, so I hope you’re on an empty stomach.”

“Sure,” Namjoo replied, “I’ve had nothing since breakfast.”

“You’re eating well at home?” Sehun’s father questioned from the head of the table. “Come over anytime. Seoyun can cook for you. You should be eating a lot these days in order to have a child.”

That was it.

What would ruin the mood for today.

Hands stiff on her lap she blinked. Staring at the soup as if she could somehow conjure the ability to make it fly.

“Has there been any news?” his father questioned.

“No.”

“Has Namjoo been drinking the tonic?” his father was speaking to Sehun like she wasn’t present. She thought about the morning when Sehun was preparing to toss them. You don’t have to drink them he’d said. Thinking too late that she was grateful to hear him say that.

She looked at the person she’d been forced to marry. Watching him lie for her, “Yes.”

“What, we’re not eating yet?” Sangki sat across from her, not his brother. Namjoo found it odd, but no one made any comment. Calling out instead of going to get her, “Seoyun! Come sit.”

“Sorry,” she scurried over looking like a little girl who’d lost track of time on a hobby.

“What were you doing?” Sangki frowned at her irritated.

Namjoo gave them one glance before Sehun’s father spoke up again. Declaring, “Sehun and Namjoo are working on having a child. Now what’s this talk about a child now, Sangki?”

“A child?” Seoyun asked surprised. Her eyes glowed with confusion. Namjoo took a good note of it. Looking for guidance she asked, “What’s going on father?”

“We’re adopting,” Sangki announced.

The imminent shock coursed over them like a pending wave.

“Or maybe I’ll get a surrogate,” Sangki continued, “combine my with her eggs for a child of mine.”

The heightening tension was awkward. As if she was sitting right under a paint bucket shame poured over Seoyun. Crushed with the embarrassment of her inability to have a child. Having it blow up in her face when her husband announced the child would be his, not hers. The selfish decision that would grow a stake in their marriage.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

All his father did was clear his throat, mutter something like, “Figure it out among yourselves.”

That was it. Sangki could bring a pregnant mistress home and his father would tell Seoyun, deal with it.

The news hit hard, even for Sehun. That Sangki would resort to something like this.

When the table was cleared he and Namjoo remained sitting. Glued into his family drama awkwardly. They looked at each other once then away.

“Sehun,” his father called out, “I had the kitchen lady run out for some more tonic. Come bring them to the car.”

“I’ll be right there,” Sehun replied. He looked at Namjoo once again then got up.

One of the chauffeurs was already lugging a box of the tonic down the drive toward his car. His old man joined them shortly. Touching his shoulder as he unlocked the car.

“Don’t work too hard, son,” his father said. “Spend some time with your wife. That family needs to come first, you hear me?”

Sehun watched a butterfly flitter across the yard. “I understand.”

Patting his shoulder, the old man turned to head back inside. Closing the door, the chauffeur nodded at him before returning to work. Tend to the yard or wash the car or something to occupy his time.

Sehun turned back to look at the looming manor. Sticking his hand in his pocket he shuffled back toward the house. Intending to retrieve Namjoo and leave for the day like promised. Instead, as he passed the lounge room Sangki called out. He had a glass of gold liquid in his hand. An arm atop the piano as he leaned against it.

“Come talk with me, little brother,” Sangki said. “I hardly see your face anymore.”

Sehun peered at him with narrow slits. Deciding he had no choice he entered the room. A long ray of sunlight bounced across the floor. Dust swirled in its yellow wake.

“You’re still drinking in broad daylight,” Sehun stated.

“It helps cool nerves. You should try it,” Sangki said. Gesturing toward the brilliant glass of whiskey he asked, “You like a cup?”

“No.”

Scoffing with a smirk, “You wouldn’t understand.” Taking a sip of the whiskey, “Always the good boy. You can get someone to drive for you. Maybe my pretty sister-in-law. She seems exceptional.”

Sehun’s eyes grew on his elder brother. He’d seen the way Sangki had closed in on Namjoo earlier. And he hadn’t forgotten the absurd suggestion Sangki had made on his wedding day.

“I’d like it if you stay away from her.” Sehun said.

“We’re family, what are you saying?” Sangki held his arms out like he’d just blabbered nonsense.

Sehun wasn’t impressed. Sangki rarely took anything seriously. Only giving his two cents when it was something that concerned him.

“I’m leaving.” Sehun said. When he turned around Sangki said, “Have you slept with her yet?”

Whirling around he looked at Sangki who wasn’t 1% drunk yet, but really he didn’t need the alcohol to be a jackass. The glass landed atop the piano with a clink. Stepping forward so they were face to face and his breath reeked in front of his nose, Sangki’s stare penetrated his eyes.

“You’ve always been lucky, little brother,” Sangki said in a low voice. “But I really think you don’t deserve that luck.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Sehun said.

Grabbing his collar Sangki tugged him forward. “You have everything you ever need, so don’t act stupid with me.”

“Let go.” Sehun ordered.

“I’m going to beat you this time,” Sangki hissed. His fist tightened over his shirt. “I’m going to take everything from right under your nose.”

“Let go of him.”