Married to the Mob - Chapter 7

Married to the Mob

Woohyun's eyes shot open.  He stared up at the high ceiling above until he realised where he was.  He was in the bedroom of his luxurious apartment.  He sat up and noticed that his wound had been dressed.  Just as he was about to climb out of bed, the double doors to his bedroom opened and in stepped his subordinate.

"You're up," his subordinate commented before walking over to the other side of the room.

The subordinate pulled back the curtains to let in the morning sun.  The floor-to-ceiling windows revealed the breathtaking view of the city below.  Woohyun squinted his eyes and raised a hand to shield the bright light.

"What time is it?" Woohyun asked.

"Almost lunchtime," his subordinate replied casually.

Woohyun gasped and immediately climbed out of bed.

"Where are you going?" his subordinate asked, trying to stop him.

Woohyun frowned.  "Why didn't you wake me up earlier?  Now I'm late."

"Late for what?"


As Woohyun ran passed the park, he glanced at the bench where Sunggyu would be but found that it was empty.  Of course he wouldn't be here, thought Woohyun.  It's this late already.

He continued on, running through the streets until he arrived at the bookshop.  There was a closed sign on the door.  He stood in front of it and took several deep breaths.

"Woohyun," a soft voice called out.

Woohyun turned round upon hearing his name.  He let out a sigh of relief when he saw Sunggyu standing there.

"What are you doing here?" Sunggyu asked.

"I...I came to apologise," Woohyun replied as he lowered his head.  "Sorry.  It's my fault that this happened to you."

Sunggyu smiled.  "There's no need to apologise."

There was a moment of silence.

"How are your injuries?" Woohyun asked, looking at the older man's bandaged arm.  "Does it hurt?"

"Nothing to worry about," Sunggyu assured him.

Despite Sunggyu's words Woohyun could not help but feel guilty.  "How is Sungjong?"

Sunggyu smiled.  "He's a tough kid.  He'll recover in no time," he said.  "But Woohyun, I am worried about you.  Who were those people?  Are you in some kind of trouble?"

Woohyun looked at Sunggyu, not knowing what to say.

Sunggyu saw the hesitation on Woohyun's face and decided it was best not to press the matter.  "It's okay.  You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

"They're loan sharks," Woohyun replied.

Sunggyu seemed surprised and worried.  "Loan sharks?  How much do you owe them?  I have some money saved up.  I can help you pay."

A smile appeared on Woohyun's lips.  He was happy to hear those words from the older man, not that he needed help paying any debts but just knowing that Sunggyu was willing to help was enough to make him fall harder for the older man.  "It's okay," said Woohyun.  "I spoke to them already.  They're willing to give me some more time."

Sunggyu wasn't convinced.  "Borrowing money from loan sharks is not a good idea."

"I can pay it off," Woohyun assured him.

Seeing how stubborn Woohyun was, Sunggyu let out a deep sigh.

"Sorry," said Woohyun.

"I've already said that it's not your fault," said Sunggyu.  "If you keep apologising, I will get angry."

"Sorry for kissing you the other day," said Woohyun.

Woohyun's words made Sunggyu remember that moment which had caught him by surprise.

"You must have been shocked and disgusted but I..." Woohyun paused a moment.  The thought of Sunggyu hating him pained him.  "I like you."

Sunggyu's eyes widened at Woohyun's unexpected confession.

"I don't want to be hated by you," Woohyun added.  "If you don't want to see me again then I won't bother you again."

Woohyun lowered his head and looked to the ground, preparing himself for rejection.

After a moment of contemplation, Sunggyu let out a resigned sigh.  "I don't hate you," he said.  "And I didn't hate that kiss."