Married to the Mob - Chapter 17

Married to the Mob

The blade ripped Sunggyu's shirt, pierced his skin and plunged into his stomach.  Woohyun stood frozen in shock.  Sunggyu's actions had caught him by surprise.

When the attacker pulled his blade out, Sunggyu clutched at his stomach and stumbled a few steps back.  Woohyun came back to his senses in time to catch Sunggyu as the older man collapsed into his arms.  Woohyun stared in horror at the blood gushing out from Sunggyu's stomach.  Fear struck him then.  He had never feared anything in his life but seeing Sunggyu covered in blood, terrified him.  He placed a hand over Sunggyu's wound to try and stop the bleeding while his tears threatened to fall.

"Sunggyu," Woohyun cried as he held Sunggyu tight, ignoring his surroundings.  At that moment, nothing else mattered to him.

Sungjong arrived at the scene to find Sunggyu and Woohyun surrounded by a group of masks men.  He frowned in anger upon seeing Woohyun cradling a bleeding Sunggyu in his arms.  Useless!

Sungjong's presence was followed by the sounds of police sirens echoing across the night sky.  Upon hearing the sirens, the group of men withdrew from the scene.

"Sunggyu!" Sungjong shouted out as he rushed over to Sunggyu and Woohyun.  He seemed surprised when he saw the extent of Sunggyu's wound.  He was even more surprised when he saw that Woohyun was in a state of panic.


"Things didn't go to plan,"said Sungjong in a low voice while on the phone.  "No, he's still alive."  He ended the call and walked over to where Woohyun was.

Woohyun was frantically pacing up and down outside the ER while gripping Sunggyu's walking stick in his hand.  Unable to wait any longer, he reached for the door but was stopped.

"What are you doing?" Sungjong scolded.  "You can't go in."

"I have to see him!" Woohyun insisted.

Sungjong seemed surprisingly calm.  "You'll only get in the way," he said.  "Let the doctors do their job."

Woohyun debated with himself before finally letting out a resigned sigh.

Sungjong looked at Woohyun and frowned.  "Don't you think you're overreacting?  You've only known him for a short time."

Woohyun was quiet for a moment.  "It's all my fault.  This is the second time he has saved my life."

"Second?" Sungjong asked.

Woohyun nodded.  "Though he doesn't remember it, Sunggyu saved my life a long time ago."

Sungjong's eyes widened with surprise.  "He saved your life?"  he questioned.  "So you're only being nice to him to repay a debt of gratitude?"

"No, that's not the reason," Woohyun retorted.  "I-"

Their conversation was interrupted when the door to the ER opened and a surgeon stepped out.


He opened his eyes and found himself lying on a bed in a darkened room.  He had no idea where he was.  He tried to get up but found that he had no energy to do so.  He felt weak.  It was unlike him.

"Sleeping beauty is awake," spoke a voice.  "That's too bad.  Sleeping beauty needs to sleep."

He struggled to see who it was in the darkened room.

"Who-"

Before he could speak another word, he felt a prick in his arm.  By the time he realised what was happening, it was too late.  Whatever he had just been injected with was making him drowsy.  The last thing he knew before he lost consciousness was someone's lips pressed against his.