Married to the Mob - Chapter 5

Married to the Mob

The door to the bookshop burst open, startling Sunggyu and Sungjong.  They looked to see four men charging in, armed with metal poles and bats.  Before they could even ask what was happening, the men began pulling the books off the shelves and smashing everything in sight.

"What are you doing?" Sunggyu asked as he tried to stop them but was shoved roughly to the ground.

The men turned their attention to him.  They began kicking him while he was down.  Sungjong immediately got up and ran over to help Sunggyu.  He pushed one of the men aside before throwing himself on top of Sunggyu to shield the older man from his attackers.  Two of the men continued to beat the pair on the floor while the other two continued on with their smashing spree.

Seeing Sungjong receiving the brunt of the attacks, Sunggyu tried to push him off him but Sungjong refused to budge.  Sungjong was determined to protect protect the older man as best he could.

"Please stop," Sunggyu pleaded to no avail.  "Why are you doing this?"

"You can thank Nam Woohyun for this," said one of the men.


Woohyun stood under the running water with a smile upon his face as he recalled the surprised look on Sunggyu's face when he had kissed him earlier.  His thoughts were interrupted when he heard his phone ring.  He sighed as he turned off the tap and stepped out of the shower.

"What is it?" he asked when he picked up the call.

"Boss, where are you?" the voice on the other line asked.

"What?  Are you my mother now?" he retorted.

The voice let out a sigh.  "Are you okay?"

Woohyun frowned at the question.  "Why wouldn't I be?  What are you on about?"

"One of the clubs just received an anonymous phone call.  It sounded like a threat.  I thought you might be in danger."

Woohyun scoffed.  "Who would dare mess with me?  They must be tired of living."

"That's true.  I've checked all the clubs and venues, everything seems normal."

Just then a terrible thought crossed his mind.  "What was the message?" Woohyun asked in a serious tone.

There was a slight pause on the other line.  "Payback's a ."

Woohyun immediately ended the call.  He quickly got dressed, dashed out the door and sped through the streets on his motorbike in the pouring rain.


The moment Woohyun arrived at the bookshop, he knew something was wrong.  The sign on the door said that they were opened yet the the lights were out.  He pushed the door open with little effort since the busted door did not close properly.  His eyes widened at the sight of the wreckage inside.  What worried him most was seeing blood on the floor.  He frantically searched the place and called their names but was met with silence.  He immediately got back on his bike and rode to the nearest hospital.

He rushed into the hospital, drenched from the rain, looking pale with concern that even the nurse at reception was taken aback by his appearance.

"Are you okay, Sir?" she asked, thinking that he was the one in need of help.

"I'm looking for Kim Sunggyu.  Did anyone come in by that name?"  he asked hastily.

Seeing how frantic Woohyun was, the nurse quickly helped him look up the name.  "Ah, yes."

Woohyun ran down the corridor until he found the room where Sunggyu was being treated.  He froze at the door, eyes widened in horror when he saw the back of a person with their head wrapped in bandages.  His heart dropped at the sight.

"Woohyun, what are you doing here?" a voice spoke.

Startled by the voice behind him, Woohyun turned around.  Surprise and relief swept over him when he saw Sunggyu standing there with his walking cane.  He noticed the bruises on the older man's face and the bandaged on his arm.

Woohyun's eyes narrowed in anger before it turned to worry.  "Are you okay?" he asked, checking Sunggyu's injuries.

"I'm okay," Sunggyu replied.  "Thanks to Sungjong."

Woohyun glanced back and saw Sungjong walking towards them with his head bandaged up.

The young man glared at Woohyun in anger.  "What did you do?" Sungjong demanded angrily.

"Sungjong," said Sunggyu as he tried to calm the younger man down but Sungjong brushed him off.

"Those people said it was because of you that this happened to us," said Sungjong.

Woohyun could only lower his head in guilt.  "I'm sorry."


Upon exiting the hospital, Woohyun saw a tall figure waiting outside the main entrance but he walked on by under the pouring rain.  Seeing this, the tall figure opened up the umbrella in his hand and ran up to him, shielding him from the rain.  They walked over to where Woohyun had parked his motorbike.  The tall figure knew that his boss was angry.  He could see it in his eyes.

"Boss, where are you going?" the tall figure asked as Woohyun climbed onto his motorbike.

"Putting that bastard in the driver's seat," Woohyun stated before he sped off.