Married to the Mob - Chapter 14

Married to the Mob

Despite the situation he was in, Sungyeol remained calm.  "I don't know what you are talking about."

There was a brief moment of silence before one of the masked men stepped closer and stood in front of him.  Without warning, the masked man dealt him a punch in the jaw.  Sungyeol could taste blood in his mouth.

"Where is he?" the masked man repeated.

Sungyeol looked at the masked man and smirked before he spat out a mouthful of blood at the man.  This show of defiance did not sit well with his attacker.  For the next several minutes, Sungyeol was dealt an onslaught of attacks with punches to his face and stomach.  Being restrained to the chair, he was unable to move or do anything to evade the blows.  He gritted his teeth and bore the pain, refusing to allow his attackers any satisfaction from the pain inflicted on him.

After what seemed like an eternity, the beating finally came to a stop.  With what little strength he had left, Sungyeol raised his head to look at the masked man.

"Stubborn aren't you?" said the masked man.  "As expected of the Gyoha clan's right hand man."

With those words, the men left the warehouse.  It was only the that Sungyeol let his guard down.  His shoulders slumped as he spat out another mouthful of blood.  There was no time to be tied down.  He struggled furiously with the ropes that bound him until he heard footsteps approaching.  He came to an abrupt stop as he looked towards the door.  There was only one set of footsteps that he could hear.  He waited until a figure emerged from the shadows.

"Need a hand?" L asked.

Sungyeol frowned, looking the least bit impressed to see L approaching him.  "Why is it you?  What are you doing here?"

"I followed you," L replied as he began working at the ropes to untie Sungyeol.  "And it's a good thing I did."

When he was released from the ropes, Sungyeol struggled to stand straight as he clutched at his side.  Seeing this, L grabbed one of Sungyeol's arm and draped it over his shoulder to support his weight.

"You okay?" L asked.

"Fine," Sungyeol replied nonchalantly.  "Just some broken ribs."

L seemed amused.  "How can you say that with such a straight face?"

"Why are you helping me?" Sungyeol asked.  "You work for the Yang clan."

"Correction," L interjected.  "I work for money."

Sungyeol contemplated a moment.  "I'm not going to pay you money."

L smiled.  "That's okay.  You can pay me with your body."


He stood in the darkened lounge and looked at the empty sofa.  He glanced at the bedroom door and smirked before taking out his phone to make a call.

"It's me," he said.

"How are things?" asked the voice on the other line.

"He's with the brat," he informed.  "His memory has not returned yet."

"If it does, you know what to do."

"I don't need you to tell me how to do my job."