sixteen

What If....
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

16.

 

“Don’t forget what Mommy said, go wash up. Then only we’ll have a meal.”

I hold on the doorknob, letting the kids to run inside and my head turns to look at Baekhyun who is having his eyes peeking inside that condominium unit. “So you live here…” he mumbles, just enough for me to hear it. Both of us then step inside the house and I lead the guy to the living room.

“Make yourself comfortable, B. It’s now your home too.”

He nods with a smile, his eyes haven’t done their job of exploring each corner in this space yet but they are gazing on me. Which explains well of why am I feeling fidgety out of sudden. Nowadays I find it is hard to read Baekhyun’s eyes, perhaps because we are now adults who have a lot in mind. That man takes a step forward, closing our distance before taking my hand and hold it tight.

My heart beats fast since I am curious – also nervous – to hear what he is about to say, but it all dies right away when all he utter is, “I think I’m hungry. When will we get to eat?”

Then he pouts, but I could see those devilish eyes are celebrating on his success of pulling on my legs.

“Mean.”

“Then what were you expecting from me just now?”

I turn my lips down and shrug. The hands of mine reach for the scarf around his neck, untangling the knot. Then I look up straight into his eyes while my fingers tug on the fabric that is still snaking around his neck – pulling him in a quick move yet very gently – landing a surprise peck on his tiny pink lips. “Maybe this?” My brow lifted with a saucy smile on my face as I give him a teasing look. “Okay now you should sit around, or do whatever you want. I need to cook something for dinner.”

As if nothing had happened, I move away from him, hanging his scarf on the coat hanger by the door before leisurely walk to the kitchen. Even I am not looking, I could still see Baekhyun has not moved from that position, probably is still taken aback by my sudden action. And my hands are already reaching for the pot, eyes aiming at the fridge to see what kind of vegetables I should put in the meal I wanted to make.

From the corner of my eyes, I see Baekhyun is coming. That guy then swiftly lands his bum on the island counter as he silently watches me minding my own business. I am having my face placed right in front of the opened fridge as I hear he asks, “Where did you learn to cook, anyway? Because as far as I could remember…”

“I was never good at it…?” I giggle after finishing his sentence then continues to answer, “Chanyeol single-handedly taught me how to do these stuff.”

“Oh, really…”

I am not aware yet that his tone has suddenly sounds uninterested so I mindlessly open up the story, “Well it was a very long time ago, back then the kids were just starting to learn eating something other than baby’s porridge. He took a lot pictures of them growing up…! I’ll show you the photo album tonight.” I am filling the pot up with water as I ask, “Would you be okay if make some porridge tonight? I heard from Minseok that Chanyeol looks unwell today, I’m thinking of giving him some.”

“Oh,” Baekhyun breathes. “Sure, go ahead.” Then he comes down, lazily walks towards me who is having my eyes on the carrots with another hand holding a knife. “Do you want me to help out with anything?”

Upon hearing that, my cutting movements half for a few good seconds, my mind do a very quick flashback of the disaster past experiences that we had gone through of Baekhyun and cooking. There is zero possibilities of me wanting it to happen again. No offense but he is really bad at it. Really.

Thus I put the knife down and meets his anticipating gaze. “No, B. It’s okay.” My hands on his arms, turning that man around and walk him out from that space. “You should get some rest, just turn on the TV and find something fun to watch.”

“I just stepped into this house a few minutes ago and you’re already abandoning me,” he frowns. “I bet you’ll gladly let Chanyeol help you in the kitchen if he wanted to. He sounds like he’s a very good cook, anyway.”

My steps that are heading towards the kitchen immediately halt before turning my body to face Baekhyun again. “Baekhyun…?” I call him softly however only gets a lazy hum as a reply. He isn’t looking, but I am more than sure that an upset expression is showing on his face right now. Baekhyun has gone from my sight, and the sound of television indicates that he has now in the living room, finding something to watch.

And I know I was kind of screwed up, but this time it feels amusing that I got to see that side of Baekhyun again.

I come back to the living room after I am done

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter