four

What If....
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

4.

 

I look away, still avoiding that pair of orbs of his and obviously I am not the only one to act that way as Baekhyun is also mindlessly stirring the drink that does not even need to be stirred. The air feel tensed as there are a lot of words that are still hanging and left unuttered between us. Hyun Joo is in Chanyeol’s office, as the man insisted earlier – that I need to have a talk with this guy who is sitting right across this small table. Chanyeol did not say anything about this, instead, he quietly distracted Jooie and eye-signaled me to confront Baekhyun. And I think he is extremely smart enough to see what type of the connection between me and Baekhyun have without the needs for me to tell him by words.

But, heck, what should I say in this situation? How am I supposed to act?

y? Just like how I acted on the past when I asked for the break-up?

Or am I bounded to be kind, because this whole mess is not Baekhyun’s fault in any possible ways. But if I treat him kindly, would he think that I’m being hypocrite?

While I was busy contemplating of what kind of act and character that I have to pull for dealing with this, the braver one between us opens his mouth, almost forcefully, “If you don’t have anything to say…”

“I do,” I even raised my hand up a little as a way to stop him from leaving, then I repeat my words in a lower voice – timidly. “Are you doing well now?”

“What?”

I pursed my lips together again, regretting for what I just questioned. Baekhyun faintly titters before turning to me and darts a disbelief look.

“Ridiculous,” he breathes. “Of course, I am doing great. So great but well,” he shrugs. “I could never beat yours. You seem to have a wonderful life with the chairman.”

My eyes shut close for a few seconds as I swallow the words that he gave me, the hatred that he sewed in each of them. Even in his gaze.

I deserve this, of course.

“I see that you even have a kid,” he halted for a few seconds before inaudibly adding, “With him.”

“Two, actually.” I foolishly corrected only that part with a smile. “Twins.”

“Oh, wow,” Baekhyun murmurs under his breath and lowers his head a bit, concealing the shaky pupils just behind the tips of his bangs. “You must be happy now.”

“I am.”

And by that, I meant it well. I am happy with the life I am having right now. But that is not all of it.

He takes in a deep breath and then let out a beam. A very wide one that it shows his white teeth which are perfectly-lined up, with a series of small nods in the end. “Of course.” Baekhyun looks very innocent as he always is when he smiles just now. “I guess I’m the only one who’s still stuck in the past then.”

“Baekhyun, I’m not here to talk about the past.”

“Me neither.” Those eyes are piercing right into mine. That is the moment I notice; the face is a lot smaller than before and the milky white skin is much paler than what I remember, that the color stays the same even when he is clearly holding in his flaming anger. “But seeing your face makes it pops out ridiculously,” he grits his teeth and that guy definitely gives me a good slap when he utters, “which irritates me.”

 

 

 

 

Hyun Joo is a very smart girl that I am beyond grateful for having her as my daughter. Just a little while ago, she was demanding at Chanyeol to fulfill his promise; for all four of us to have a day out to a theme park as a reward that the stomach ache that she was having this morning is already cured. Somehow now, after we picked her brother up from school, she takes a good look at my face and kindly says, “Daddy, it is okay if we go out and play on some other day. Mommy doesn’t look well now.”

And with that, we have already reach the parking lot of our apartment building.

My mind is hardly in a right place but I still hear when Chanyeol makes a request to Mr. Jung for him to bring the kids to the penthouse and stay to take care of them for a while so that me and him would have some alone time for us to talk.

It is quiet, extremely silent that it suffocates me to have ourselves locked in the car but I don’t think my legs have enough strength to stand up outside. Even when I was taking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter