twenty-nine

What If....
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

29.

 

Chanyeol halts his steps upon hearing Ye Eun’s request. He turns to face the lady who is standing by the door of her apartment unit, and she is giving him a thin smile as if she has not just stated a heartbreaking suggestion. The man blinks a few times, still not believing his ears but he knows that the situation isn’t lying towards him when he meets Ye Eun’s eyes that stares at him, very calmly.

“Let’s end all this, I say.” Ye Eun said it again as if she’s stating the weather today. She shrugs, “I know well that I’m not the woman you love.”

She sounds so relaxed, making it harder for Chanyeol to say something. “B-but, Eun…” He finds himself stuttering, not able to do anything about it.

His guilt piles up, this is all his fault. Chanyeol knows well that his feelings for her is long gone. Even when they met again after years at the hospital lobby, his heart feels empty. And what has made him miserable when he saw Ye Eun with Minseok was realizing that his heart is not affected by it. Chanyeol found out that his heart is not beating for Ye Eun anymore, but for another person.

That is why, when that person came to his house that day and asked him to tell her everything about meeting Ye Eun once again, he actually told her the story halfway. Chanyeol had purposely made it sounds like he felt troubled over seeing Ye Eun with somebody else while the truth is he found himself not feeling anything about it, and instead, he envied seeing Joonie and Jooie meeting their father again. He felt something strange upon witnessing the family reunites.

That feeling is not what he was supposed to feel as a decent person, if he is one.

“You love her, right? The twin’s mother.”

Chanyeol bites his inner cheeks. He feels embarrassed by that for Ye Eun had already knew the truth. He fell for someone who could never be his – Chanyeol knows that fact too well. All this time, he has been denying his feelings for that lady and convinced himself that Ye Eun is the woman he loves. And when Ye Eun wanted to start it over again, he accepts it to prove to himself that he is in love with the former. For countless times, he tries to dig his love for her but it is not there.

That love for Ye Eun has stopped, too far in the past and could not be reached anymore.

“I’m sorry.” That is all he could say. Perhaps he doesn’t even deserve to ask for an apology. “I’m so sorry for all this time. It seems like–” The man ruffles his hair, eyes b with tears. “–I’ve hurt you, again.”

“No, Chan. That’s okay, I’m really fine with this. It happens.” The lady takes a deep breath, then steps closer towards the man she loves, her hand timidly reaches out for him before she goes for a hug. “Thank you for all this time, Chan. I know you’ve been trying to love me again, it must’ve been hard for you. Right?”

The man’s heart could not hold it in anymore, those arms are shaking to give a hug in response, and his lips are trembling as he purses them together. Soon as Chanyeol shuts his eyes close, his tears drops. “I’m sorry but I have really tried. I’m very sorry, you really deserve more, Eun,” Chanyeol sobs like a child. Though he is not in love with her anymore, the affection for her is still there. Ye Eun colored his world, taught him to find joy and delights when everything was dull. She played a big part in his youth, indeed, the only thing is; they are all in the past.

“Thank you for being a part of my life.”

 

 

“Why you need to meet doctor too, Mommy? Are you sick somewhere?”

I chuckle then shakes my head before reaching out for my daughter’s head to her hair gently. Jooie’s hair color makes her look a lot like me but they are very soft which reminds me of her father’s. “Of course not, my dear. It just some stuff. You know, adult stuff.”

“Does passing out considered as ‘adult stuff’? Say it Mommy, you are simply refusing to tell me, right?” I cluck my tongue in disbelief when the little girl crosses her arms across her chest then puff her white porcelain cheeks. She turns her head, looking away from me which makes her pout more visible than usual.

This girl, really! Why does she reminds me of a certain someone?

And as I have already expected, it does not even take a second for the room to be filled by Baekhyun’s laugh. He is sitting on the couch with our son to help the little boy to do some coloring work from school, but still, that man would not leave us girls alone, especially when he finds a chance to pick on me. “Jooie darling, you really sound like someone I know.”

I was about to give a deathly stare at him but it is all gone when Hyun Joon excitedly cuts in, “I know who, I know who! Jooie talks like Mommy!”

Upon that, Baekhyun’s laugh intensifies that I would believe it if he says that his mouth sore from the post-chemo effect has already gone for good. “Seems like you are really enjoying this, Byun.”

“Oh, of course I do. I really do.”

I narrow my vision to Baekhyun for a second before huffing in defeat, no longer having the willing to bicker over it – particularly with Joonie had innocently meddle in the conversation. That little kid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter