eighteen

What If....
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

18.

 

“That was so close just now…!”

Baekhyun turns and lifts an eyebrow, confused on me sighing out of relief. He hands the face mask packet to me and starts to put on his. “Why? Did something just happened that I wasn’t aware of?”

“Miss Han.”

“You mean, the lady…”

“Yes, his fiancée.” I pull the mask out from its packet and carefully put it on my face. From the eyes, I could see the curiosity in Baekhyun’s eyes melt into a smile when he looks at me. That guy joins me sitting with my legs crossed on the bed and shifts closer. He leans in and tuck the hair that falls on my face behind the ears while the other hand of his tapping on the mask, gently applying it on my skin. “Thank you,” I mouthed it with a beam – for his help – then continues, “And Chanyeol.”

His brows furrows, “Chanyeol?” Then Baekhyun lightly gasps, “Don’t tell me they had a thing in the past.”

“Bet.” I knew it, Baekhyun could read the situation in my mind. He is still witty, as always.

“What a small world we’re living in,” he murmurs to himself before landing his head right next to me. “Well, thank God.”

“I know,” I sigh. “We would be in a big trouble if Chanyeol showed up just now.”

While we were preparing for the dinner earlier, the ring of the doorbell made me thought that Chanyeol has arrived but that did not happened. As soon as I open the door, only Secretary Jung was there. And he was just stopping by due to his employer’s order, to deliver the presents for the twins. Also to give some food from his wife – which I find lovely. Based on what he told us, Chanyeol got an urgent call from the headquarters which needs him to be there.

He said there was an issue on something about their stockholders – which I don’t really understand but sounds concerning – thus Chanyeol might not be in reach for a few days.

Baekhyun and I were drown in our own ocean of silence in the next 10 minutes before he gets up to take off this thing on his face. And since I was reluctant to take off mine; which means I was too lazy to get my bum off the bed, Baekhyun pulls my hands and whine like a puppy – and I have no hearts to resist that kind of attempt. What a strong argument he made there.

“So, does Minseok knows?”

“Not yet, I think.”

“Minseok hyung and his fiancée got engaged because of their parents, right?”

“Yes, but they look like they are…in a good relationship. Don’t you think so, B?”

“That hyung was just nice to everyone, it’s hard to differentiate whether she likes her or not.”

“I know right,” I giggle, agreeing those comments from Baekhyun.

“About Chanyeol and Miss Han earlier…” he pauses. “Did they broke up in a good way? Or not?”

I squints at Baekhyun and cross my arms. “Is there any person who breaks up ‘in a good way’?”

“There is…!” He insists but quickly agrees, “But you have a point. Breaking up would forever be a nightmare to me.” Getting his words, I silently nod since my heart feels bad about it. To be honest, the guilt would forever be ther– “I didn’t mean to say anything about us in the past. I told you, that wasn’t your fault.” Baekhyun sounds like he was panicking as he notices that I turn quiet out of the blue. He knows what is in my heart. “I’m saying that it is a nightmare for me in the future.”

Then the man grips my hands as he holds them firmly. “I would never want to be apart from you again. From our kids.”

“Neither do I.”

We are both aware of what we are currently talking of, and we know what kind of situation that we would face very soon. Everything has been prepared, all his needs, the appointments, the check-ups, the money – everything about the treatment that he would receive starting the day after tomorrow has been well-readied. Only our hearts haven’t.

“I’m scared,” he smiles, sadly. And so I hug and kiss those fears away, then bob my head.

“Me too. I really am.”

“But I’d be here, always be here.” He leans in and lands a soft peck on my forehead before caressing my head very lovingly. I find warmness in his touch, sweetness in those eyes. “I promise.”

My lips purse together as I encounter his gaze then bobs my head rapidly. Then I wiggle to shift closer towards him to get into his embrace and rest my head on his chest. Baekhyun and I stay in a cuddling position for such a long time, lost in a deep silent with hearts full of woes and worries. And that is why we hold tight onto each other, with hopes that we will be alright. Even a tiny little bit of it would be nice.

Because we both know; in every fight, we are not alone.

If one of us gets hurt, the other person would feel likewise. And so will our children, which none of us would ever want that to happen.

“By the way…I’m forgetting on something.” I pull away and tilt my head above whilst still having our arms wrapped around each other’s body. With a hum from me, Baekhyun proceeds, “How will you earn money for the kids if you had already quit your job for me?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter