twenty-one

What If....
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

21.

 

I look up, stealing a glance at my friend who is talking on the phone. Then I look down again, my hand softly caress Hyun Joo’s head while the boy enjoys his slice of pepperoni pizza. Today is my day off and I agreed on accompanying Baekhyun to bring his kids out, since their mom needs to get some work to be done by this evening. Originally Baekhyun wanted to go out with the twins alone but of course, that idea has been declined immediately so here I am, together with my friend and his twin kids, sitting in a fast food restaurant right after arriving at the department store.

According to Baekhyun’s plan, he intends bringing them to cinema, catching up a movie then to the arcade so that they could have more fun.

“Looks like you just got quite a serious conversation there. What’s up?” I shoot a question soon after Baekhyun returns to the table we are sitting at. That guy looks a bit flustered then quickly, he shakes his head off and shrugs.

Baekhyun reaches out for a cup of water to take a sip as he answers, “Nothing. Just some work stuff.” That was so suspicious of him, like he wants to get off hook immediately but I had to ignore that, perhaps Baekhyun is not ready to tell me anything yet. Or maybe he would never open up to me. Then the young man gazes at his daughter and son who are lost in their world of meals. A soft chuckle escapes from his mouth then sighs, “Your mom would kill me if she knows Dad fills your stomach with these.”

I couldn’t help but to join him laughing at that statement as an agreement. These kinds of fast food – our lives would definitely be in danger if she finds out we stuff their kids this way. I would agree that the meal is quite unhealthy but it’s not like they eat this every week. And those little kids don’t deserve to miss the world out by not having any kind of fast food.

“It’s okay, Dad. We are good at keeping secrets. Aren’t we, Oppa?”

Hyun Joon bobs his head rapidly and take the second slice of pizza but instead of taking it into his mouth, that little boy lifts it up and offers it to his father. “You should have some, Dad. I know you haven’t eat anything since last night.”

Both of us are surprised by the mindful act from Joonie and so Baekhyun coos, “Oh my God, I have a really nice son.” He ruffles Hyun Joon’s hair lovingly and kindly declines, “I’ve ate this morning, when you haven’t wake up yet. Now just eat comfortably, okay?”

“You better don’t tell lies~,” Jooie squints, immediately bursts out a hearty laughter as she earns tickles on the waist by her father for that witty comment, joined by Hyun Joon as he watches the interaction. Without me even realizing, I also curl a smile with heart full of relief on the sight of Baekhyun and his children. I have known him for such a long time and seeing his extremely tough journey, especially after being diagnosed as a cancer patient – he deserves this kind of happiness. Pure form of delight is pouring from Baekhyun’s face ever since the misunderstanding is resolved and the family reunites.

And I am more than glad to witness it; the joy of my beloved friends as I wish for the same as well, deep in my heart.

Baekhyun snaps me out of my reverie as he calls my name and speaks, “What’s up with you now? I heard about the birthday present thing, and I know you well, hyung.” Baekhyun pauses for a while to take a sip of his drink before continues, “That isn’t some plain ‘family arrangement’ thing anymore for you, isn’t it?”

Obviously, I was flustered by his assumption since I think it might be right but to be modest, a faint laugh escapes my mouth with a lazy comment. “I don’t know, you may call it courtesy. But it could be true too, I guess? Perhaps I…like her.”

“The latter one sounds more convincing.”

“That isn’t wrong…right?” I ask hesitantly, as that is what I am feeling. Is it okay for me to like her, even when we are in that kind of situation. “But…” I stir the coffee pointlessly and sigh, “…I was the one who said I wasn’t into this relationship. Plus, I don’t think she would feel the same.”

“I couldn’t guarantee you anything.” Baekhyun keeps his silence upon that for a bit while, glancing out of the window then gives me a beam of reassurance. “But if she’s the one…she’d see your sincerity. That’s what I’m sure of.” Shortly after that, I see the teasing in Baekhyun’s gaze as he squints at me and starts cooing. “Seems like you are really in trouble, hyung.”

“I guess I am.”

As we choose silence right after it, I watch Baekhyun quietly intertwines his fingers with Jooie's ponytail, playing with it and he glances over to his son who is focusing to the food, a corner of Baekhyun's lips pulled upwards then he talks, "He's really acts like his mother when it comes to food, isn't it?"

My head bobs immediately then I tilt to the left, asking him one question. "Haven't you guys planned anything yet? About, you know...getting married?"

He shrugs and crosses his arms across his chest. "I don't think we've talked about that. So, nope. We didn't planned anything."

"Then haven't you?"

A meaningful yet sneaky beam rises up right away, lifting up his face and soon as I see that, that smile creeps out mine too. I know that look. Baekhyun rises an eyebrow to me then glances to his kids, calling out their names. "You guys told Dad you are good at keeping secrets, right?"

 

 

“You don’t look so good today, are you sure you’re going to be alright?”

I don’t even bother to turn to him when I raise up my hand with an ‘okay’ sign for answering the question that Chanyeol has been asking for the umpteenth time. My eyes and mind is still focusing on what’s appear on the screen, giving my full concentration to the design I am working on.

It was hard for me, especially since I am an amateur but I am doing my very best for a good result as a token of gratitude to Chanyeol because he is always there, lending a hand even without me asking for it. To me, Chanyeol is like a magician. He could make everything happens in the next second after saying it, and always appears whenever someone is in need. Probably I should call him as Genie next time.

“You sure you don’t want anything? Takeout food?”

“Nope.”

“Really? Or

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter