fifteen

What If....
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

15.

 

Both of us turn our head, the sound of door being knocked distract us out from our conversation then have us staring on each other for a good few seconds. I meet a gaze of Baekhyun’s, seeing strains in those eyes. Indeed, that guy must be feeling tensed now, by the fact that he is going to meet two little person of his life. The one that Baekhyun has supposed to aware of their existence since years ago. Even he already met Hyun Joo several times before, this still could be new for him, enough to give him chills running down his spine.

“It’d be fine, trust me. Everything is going to be okay.” I squeeze his hand gently, curling up a smile with a hope to reassure that trembling heart. “They’ve loved you from the start. I promise you I’d taught them that.”

He looks up, “Y-you did?”

“Of course, they need to know the personality of their father, at least.” I pat the back of his palm gently before getting up to open up the door. “Are you ready for this?”

“Um…maybe?” The crease on his forehead appears as I get closer to the door. “Wait.”

My steps halt, turning my head to him.

“Should I be standing up? Or just sit normally?” He asks, sincerely looking for an answer. “Don’t tell me to stay here on this bed. I can’t let the kids see their dad like this.” Baekhyun keeps on getting up from the bed, then walks to the couch. Here and there inside the room, deadpanning me.

His real behavior is starting to show up, giving gladness in my heart, delight in my soul.

So a chuckle comes out as a respond before I continue walking towards the door. “Do whatever you want, B. You can also hide behind the curtain if you feel like it.” My smile widens as I see the twins soon as I unlock and slide the door open.

“Mommy!”

And so Joonie and Jooie wrap their arms around my legs, definitely blossoming a happy beam on my face. I squat down to hold the kids in my arms then my head tilts up to look at the person who send them here. “Where’s Chanyeol?”

“Probably still downstairs. He said he’ll come later.” Minseok squints as if he is trying to remember something. “Also, I think we should talk after this, in private of course. Just…” he glances at the twins and smiles before lovingly patting them on their head. “…enjoy your family time first.”

To be honest there are worries rising in my heart soon as the doctor has mentioned about the ‘talk’ we will be having later but I had to shove it off in order to live in this moment. “Thank you, see you later.” Warmly, he waves Joonie and Jooie goodbye before excusing himself from us, for us to have our moment. Also, my attention is already focusing to the kids especially when I feel a tug on the sleeve of my blouse.

As I look down, my eyes meet a pair of curious eyes of Hyun Joo. “Mommy, where’s Dad? He’s not on his bed…”

My head is faster to turn around to search for that man as my hands closes the door behind us at the same time. I am almost scared of any bad possibilities of Baekhyun has suddenly gone from my sight but that nerves has immediately being flown away as my eyes catch the extremely familiar and obviously known silhouette behind the curtain.

Baekhyun is hiding there, for real! That knucklehead.

Two sides of my lips pursed as I am trying not to laugh when my hand raises to point my finger to that shadow by the blinds. I lean in to my daughter as I whisper, “You should say hi.”

Even without command, the girl knows what she’s doing. Hyun Joo covers to conceal her giggles as she tiptoes towards her father. And when their distance are close enough to each other, that little girl sneakily lifts up the curtain and peeks to the other side. Soon as the person behind it is revealed, a wide grin creeps on Hyun Joo’s face as she softly calls, “Dad?”

I see tense in that man’s face immediately loosens before he leans in and hesitantly asks, “C-can you…sa-say that again…?”

“Dad!”

Instinctively, Baekhyun opens his arms as his daughter jumps into them – and tears stream down from both of us adults’ face. He squeezes his eyes shut while hugging Hyun Joo tight, embracing that daughter of his with much love and longing. All of those feelings from these whole five years, also from this morning when he found about the kids have been spilled in that hug. Baekhyun had told me of how much he yearns to have his own children and he thought that he would have no hope when he was diagnosed a year ago. And I know now he is worried of the possibilities of not being able to see the kids growing up but…no.

We will face this, we definitely will endure this dashingly.

That is my only wish now.

That father and daughter’s hug loosens after quite a while before both of them turn their head to my direction, gazing at the boy who is still hiding behind my legs, those little fingers of his tug on my skirt. Hyun Joon is looking up at me, his eyes full of wonders and worries – also tears, maybe his feelings get carried away as well when he witness his sister’s and his real father ‘s long-awaited reunification. Thus my hand reaches for his, squeezing it lightly and quietly nods with a beam as a sign of reassurance for the little boy to go and get the father’s love that he deserves.

Seeing his son is still contemplating, Baekhyun gets up and closes the distance between us before squatting down again – for him to approach that boy from the eye level. Baekhyun’s eyes trails from the boy’s pair of orbs down to the chin, one by one of the boy’s features and when Hyun Joon hugs me tighter, a smile curls on his face. That man shifts his gaze at me as he brea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter