Power and the protector

Heir by Blood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Jungkook’s POV]

I stopped myself at the last moment, realizing what I had been about to do. I stopped with my hand an inch away from Taehyung’s lips…I never knew controlling myself could be so difficult. Just as I stopped, curling my hand into a fist to drive the situation into my own head, which had apparently stopped working…he smiled in his sleep. The pink lips curled into a smile – just the hint of a smile.. And I don’t know why my heart…the heart of stone…seemed to jump in my ribcage. I removed my hand and gripped the bed-sheet, breathing deeply, to keep my identity, my truth anchored. I had become a silly teenager, indulging in the mindless euphoria, immersing myself in a futile lovely dream.
Taehyung had fallen asleep, last night, with his head in my lap. And I sat there, listening to him talking till he fell asleep. 
What was wrong with me?
This boy, whom I’ve grown up hating every moment of my life. The face that I have always had in my mind’s eye – the one responsible for my pain.
Only I had never thought that it would be so beautiful.
Why did he have to be so pretty?
And why did he have to be so nice?...I hated him. Why was he nice?
“We’re equals…” 
Why did these words ring in my head so clearly?...He’s no equal of mine. It wouldn’t take me more than a minute to take his life. And yet, his words had this much effect on me…how?

“I wouldn’t have been alive if it weren’t for you…”

His voice…beautiful just like him…it’s still crystal clear in my ears as I lift my hand without thought, as if it were being lifted my ghostly puppet strings and touch his golden hair. 
I feel like my heart was gripped by an invisible hand and shaken in it’s place as a thought that made me weak clouded my mind…
Can I maybe…not hate Taehyung?

I retrieve my hand immediately. 
No…hatred fuels my strength. 
It’s absence makes me weak. 
And…whatever it is that I’m feeling right now…this silliness of my young mind…this is making me weaker than I ever knew I could possibly be. It doesn’t make any sense.

But…Taehyung had no role to play in it right?...It was Seokjin’s decision. He is the one who chose Taehyung over me. 
Taehyung isn’t much older than me. He was only a child then. He had no fault…

I breathe in deeply again, trying to brush away these thoughts from my head. His scent, so sweet and intoxicating, doesn’t help either.

No…Taehyung may not have been the one making the decision. But Seokjin chose him over me. I hate Seokjin and Taehyung is what he loves the most.
And if hurting him is what hurts Seokjin the most, so be it.

…..

I look up as I hear someone’s arrival and see the pretty faced pixie standing right in front of the door. Jimin averts his eyes from mine and I feel the same sense of amusement as I did last night. I’m careful not to make my smile obvious when I bow my head and wish him a good morning. It would have been difficult, even for someone without my eyesight, to miss the color deepening in his cheeks. I smile a little more, looking straight into his eyes and he looks away again. I watch the ripple in his throat as he swallows.

The signs are so obvious and typical. It’s always the same, with each of them. And it’s always so easy…a prolonged smile, a few sweet words. A fleeting touch. That’s all it takes. So easy that it gets boring.
With Seokjin’s cousin though, it’s going to be fun.
From what I’ve heard before I set foot here, there’s no love lost between Jimin and Seokjin. But taking Jimin away from Yoongi…now that’s going to be a lot of fun. The first stone has been set down. Now, it won’t take too long. A little more than the usual amount of persuasion might be needed in Jimin’s case, though. Feisty…I smile to myself as I think how much more fun this is going to be. He’s in love with Yoongi. But how strong is that love?...Strong enough to stand in front of me?
 The high minister’s life resides in this silver haired pixie, just like Seokjin’s life resides in Taehyung.
Seokjin and Yoongi. The two who sold my life. 
No, I won’t kill either of them.
I’ll make sure they stay alive. And savour every moment as they die from pain. By losing the ones they love the most.

I won’t kill Jimin though. That doesn’t make sense. Having someone with his strength and skills, as much as I’ve heard of him…He’s more useful alive and on my side, than dead.

Jimin looks at Taehyung’s sleeping form and up at me, a soft frown on his face.
“Wake him up. He needs to be in court in an hour.” He says.

Somehow, Jimin seems a bit subdued in comparison to last night. The same rigid and cold face but, somehow, the arrogant confidence isn’t intact. I wonder what happened last night between him and his warlock boyfriend.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………........................................................

 

“Your highness, Prince Taehyung hasn’t had much sleep last night. He fell asleep very late. I think you should give him some more time to sleep.” Jungkook said, not breaking eye contact with Jimin.

“That’s not possible.” Jimin said and in a second he was next to Taehyung. “The court has never delayed a session for someone’s illness.”

 He leaned and extended his hand to touch Taehyung’s arm but it was stopped by Jungkook’s hand which closed around his wrist. Jimin looked at Jungkook, shocked. No one, at this castle or in his own homeland, had dared to do this to him, not even when he was a child. His immediate response was to pull his hand away and to grab the insolent boy’s neck with his other hand. But he gasped as he was able to do neither. His eyes widened as his right hand, which Jungkook had grasped earlier, did not move more than an inch by his effort. His other hand which had tried to attack, was now in the grip of Jungkook’s other hand. Jimin’s face was a picture of shock as his arms went limp and he stared at the face of the raven haired boy in front of him, whose face hadn’t twitched a muscle. The dazzling sapphire blue pair of eyes remained fixed on Jimin’s face.

“Then they must start doing so from this morning.” Jungkook said. There was no anger in his voice, it was perfectly calm. But the ring of solid authority and confidence left Jimin silent. Jungkook let go of Jimin’s arms. Jimin took a step back, blinking in dumbfounded confusion.
 Jungkook bowed his head, hiding his smile.

“I’m extremely sorry for what I just did, your highness.” Jungkook said, his voice low and discretely sweetened. “I’m just concerned for prince Taehyung’s safety. He was really weak last night. I just think he needs the rest.”

Jimin’s eyebrows knitted together and his face was full of pained confusion.
“How did…how did you…” Jimin looked down at his hands and then at Jungkook.

“Once again, I am very very sorry for this impudence. I would understand if you choose to punish me. But I did not mean to insult you, your highness.” Jungkook said. He looked up at Jimin and his face was suddenly pure and angelic like a child. The cool authoritativeness that had been there a minute ago was suddenly gone and the young face suddenly reminded Jimin of a little child. The pretty eyes were a strange mix - innocent and hypnotizing at the same time.

Jimin blinked and shook his head. He gulped and looked away from Jungkook, down at Taehyung.
He cleared his throat. “Never mind. Just make sure he wakes up in half an hour.” Jimin said.

“I will, your highness.”

………………………………………………………………………………………………….......

 

 

 

Yoongi leaned against the stone walls of the arched window that was right beside the chair which would have been occupied by Seokjin on other occasions. His gaze on the lush green picture outside was listless, his eyes vacant. For the first time, he found that he could not focus his thoughts. His mind was a chaotic mess, full of thoughts and conversations, flitting in and out, one replaced by the other, always leaving the previous one incomplete and unresolved. 

“I’ll wait for you at the clearing in the forest, from where the angel of the north tower is visible. Make sure he doesn’t cry…he rarely does…”
……


“Yoongi, you are the only one who can save me from this. I will die if Taehyung doesn’t live. I will take my own life…”
….

“He’s your brother Seokjin! Your own blood…And even if he weren’t, how can you even think of doing this? It’s not your place to decide who gets to live-…”

“So you will just abandon me, Yoongi? After all the years of our friendship. This is your loyalty?” 

“Loyalty?!...How is this about loyalty?” 

“It is…In return for everything we have ever done for you, Yoongi, I ask just one favor from you. Have I ever asked you for anything before? No…never. You know that. And now that I ask you for something, for the first time…after everything we did for you…you say no!”

“Seokjin…you’re asking…for a life! An innocent life…a baby’s life!”

“I can get Jungkook back safely. Sehun is just a warlock, he’s no match for me. Once he heals Taehyung, I’ll get Jungkook back from him.”

“What if you can’t?”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………


“Sir, I’m sorry but this part of the castle is off limits to guests. You can’t be here.” 

“I’d be gone without another word if I were you. I don’t want to have to tear the head off of some servant of Seokjin’s on my first day here.”

“I’m not a servant. I’m the High Minister. And you’re at the wrong place.”

“Then you should keep it in mind to not get on my nerves from now on. I’m guessing my dim witted cousin hasn’t told you that I’m gonna be living here from now on. And NO ONE one dares to talk to me this way, witch.”

“No wonder you’re so ill-mannered then. Coz no one dares to talk sense into you. But I’ll gladly do it from now on.”

“Wh-wh-what did you say?!”

 

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“Don’t call me that highness stuff. Call me Jimin.”

“But you’re a prince. I must-…”

“Will you show me around this castle or do I have to take a tour myself?”

“I’m the High Minister.”

“So what? You don’t know this castle?”

“That’s not what I mean-…”

“Then start walking. Show me around this place.”

“Aish seriously…why me?”


…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

 

“Are you and Seokjin like…a thing? Are you a couple?”

“What?! No! Prince Jimin! How could you even-…”

“Aish don’t seem so shocked. Everyone in the castle thinks so and you know that pretty well. Stop blushing like a little girl.”

“It’s not true, your high-…um, I mean Jimin shi, it’s a silly rumour. Just because I have been Seokjin’s best friend since our childhood, they have fun linking our names.”

“But do you…do you…do you feel that way about him?”

“What?! No! Ew!”

“Okay. Then…about anyone else?”

“Wh-what?”

“Are you single or not, Yoongi? It’s a simple question, don’t act dumb.”

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………


“Meet me here tomorrow as well.”

“Jimin ah, I’m not sure if I can-…”

“None of your prickly noblemen come this way. It’s a hidden place, I discovered it. And as for tomorrow, yes you’re sure.”

“Jimin ah! Why don’t you understand? I’m not free to do as I wish. This isn’t going anywhere.”

“I don’t care where it’s going. Right now, I know I’m right where I want to be.”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

 


“You could have gotten rid of this bruise in a second with your magic…didn’t you notice it?...does it still hurt?...I’m sorry again. I don’t know what do…I’ve never been with anyone who’s not a vampire before.”

“It doesn’t hurt.”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………


“You wouldn’t have left Seokjin alone this way, would you? But you can leave me! What the hell am I to you?”

“Please…”

“Tell me, once and for all. One year back I told you that I love you… and you didn’t say it back. And I didn’t mind. But I can’t take it anymore! I don’t care about your stupid code and rules, I don’t care about the future! I don’t care what you’re allowed to do and what you’re not. I just want to know what you feel.”

“Jimin ah…”

“Do I really matter so little to you?”

“Jimin ah, you’re the only one in the world who matters to me. I love you.”

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

“I guess there’s really no way to not see your face if I’m living here.”

Yoongi turned at the sound of the voice to see Jimin standing at the foot of the mahogany table, casually leaning against a high backed chair. He had his eyes fixed on Yoongi and his face was indifferent. Yoongi glanced at the door once out of habit.

“They aren’t here yet. The session’s been post-poned by an hour.” Jimin said, pulling back the chair and sitting down in it.

“Post-poned?” Yoongi said in a small voice.

“Yes, post-poned. Because Taehyung, who is supposed to preside over the meeting is not in perfect health.” Jimin said, playing with a small wolf shaped wooden figurine on the table in front of him. 

“What?...Who post-poned-…”

“I did.” Jimin looked up at Yoongi, his eyes containing the look that always meant: “Do you want to challenge that?” And that would be the end of it, because the person in front of him would have backed away by now.
Anyone except for Yoongi, that is, who would have just laughed indulgently on any other day. But this morning was different and he just nodded, before turning away towards the window again. But his attention was on the person at the other end of the room, whose eyes he could still feel on himself. 

“I know that under your best friend’s rule, this could never be done. Because protocols and rules are more important than people of course. But, as long as he’s gone, I don’t see why that can’t change.” Jimin picked up the wolf figurine and rolled it around in between his fingers. “And if you ask me, things need to change here. A lot needs to change.”

Yoongi stayed silent. Seokjin had not been found yet. That was one of the weights that was still pressing down on him amidst everything.

“I know you’re worried about him. Considering your world revolves around him. But I think the best thing that could happen to this dominion is Seokjin never coming back.”  Jimin said.

Yoongi turned to face him. Jimin smiled, seeing his expression.

“That hurt, didn’t it?” Jimin said.

“Jimin ah-…” Yoongi stopped recollecting last night’s conversation. Jimin forbidding him to take his name. “All things considered, please don’t say that.”
Jimin’s smile widened. “Why not?”

Yoongi sighed, closing his eyes. It wouldn’t be any use to argue with Jimin right now, he knew that well.

“Have you thought what might have happened to him? What made him leave? And why he’s still missing?” Jimin got up from his place and started walking, slowly towards the window in front of which Yoongi was standing.
“Have you thought that it might have something to do with your little secret?”

Yoongi turned his head sharply towards Jimin. “Wh-what?” He asked softly.

Jimin’s face, which had been cold and indifferent a while ago, had a bitter smile now. 
“You know what I mean. What if his past came back to him?”

“What do you mean?”

“It’s pretty obvious that Seokjin isn’t missing out of perfectly natural reasons. He wouldn’t be gone for this long without any word to Taehyung. He’s gone coz something happened to him.”

Yoongi tried to say something but stopped as Jimin came up right in front of him. 
“And I can’t think of anyone with the power to detain him against his will. Maybe…maybe except…his brother?” Jimin raised his eyebrows. 
Yoongi blinked, his face shocked.

“Wh-what are you saying, Ji-…” Yoongi swallowed, avoiding the address. “What do you mean his brother? Are you talking about Jungkook?...I told you what happened. He’s not alive.”

“Are you sure? Did you see him die?”

“No, but…”

“And what magic do you think could kill the son of the strongest surviving Centanaio and the most powerful witch known till date? How easy do you think it would have been?”

“There are ways. Of course, it’s difficult. But Sehun’s skills aren’t like anything I’d ever seen either. He’s capable of it. It would have been next to impossible if he were an adult. But a baby-…”

“What if he didn’t die Yoongi?” Jimin asked.

Yoongi looked at him first with a blank face as if he doubted whether he might have heard wrong. Then he shook his head and asked with a confused face, “What…Why are you saying this suddenly?”

“Coz I think maybe your worst night mares maybe coming true.” Jimin said, the side of his lips curving up into a small bitter smile.
Yoongi felt a chill run down his body.

“What?” His voice was a rough whisper.
“I think your little plan might not have been so fool proof either. And there’s more that happened twenty three years back than you both know. And the results are coming to you now. Or should I say they already came to Seokjin.”

 

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

 


“Prince Taehyung?” 

Jungkook moved his leg lightly, hoping to nudge Taehyung out of his sleep. But Taehyung did not respond.

How can someone sleep so soundly? I never do.

“Prince Taehyung…” Jungkook raised his voice by a few decibels. “Taehyung!” 
Taehyung barely twitched a little in his sleep, huddling his shoulders and snuggling closer to Jungkook. Jungkook clenched his jaw. He took in a deep breath and raised his hand. 
After hesitating for a few seconds, he lowered his hand to Taehyung’s cheek and tapped it. The pale white skin of his cheek was warm and flushed. Taehyung seemed to respond to his touch, and his face twitched as if something cold had touched him. His eyelids fluttered and he opened his eyes slowly. He turned to look up at Jungkook. When their eyes met, he smiled slowly. 
Taehyung removed his head from Jungkook’s lap and pushed himself up with his left elbow.

He still seems to be weak.

“Hey…Good morning.” Taehyung said, rubbing his eyes and yawning. He stretched his arms and started rubbing the back of his neck. His attention had been caught by the black tattoo on Jungkook’s wrist again.

“Good morning, Prince Taehyung.” 

Suddenly, Taehyung went still and his eyes widened. His head shot up and he stared at Jungkook with a shocked look.
“Oh !” He said in a small voice.

“What?” Jungkook laughed.

“I put my head in your lap and fell asleep. ! You had to sit there?...You couldn’t sleep at all!” Taehyung’s cheeks became red. “I’m so sorry!”

“Prince Taehyung, it’s okay. I don’t sleep much anyway.” Jungkook said.

“Oh…yes, of course your kind doesn’t need sleep much. Not like me.” Taehyung said, nodding pensively, looking down. He raised his eyes again, looking at Jungkook’s wrist again. He looked up to meet Jungkook’s eyes and asked, “Um…I hope you don’t mind me asking. That-…that symbol….the falcon and the snake….I’ve seen it somewhere. I don’t remember where, but…sometime long back. Maybe when I was a child.” Taehyung inclined his head and gazed at the tattoo again, narrowing his eyes.

“Did you?” Jungkook asked. “I was given this tattoo when I was a child. It was…a family ritual you may say. An initiation. You can think of it like a baptism.”

“Oh…that’s nice. So what does the symbol mean?” Taehyung asked.

“It’s a family emblem. It’s been carried for many generations. I’m not much sure of the significance.”

Taehyung’s face changed, confusion changing his features into that of a pouting child. 
“But it’s on your skin. Isn’t it strange that you should carry something as a part of you without identifying with it?”

Jungkook’s face did not change. He continued to smile.
Now you’re going to lecture me about my identity? Nice…

“I don’t have to. I carry it because my elder brother believes in it. I could have removed it otherwise.”

Taehyung seemed to feel embarrassed. “Oh…I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. I’m sorry if I have.”

“Of course not, your highness. It’s perfectly fine. You don’t have to be apprehensive in talking to me. You can say whatever you want.”

Taehyung grinned. “Please don’t call me your highness. Neither Prince. Just Taehyung. And…about that, I’m sorry again. But…I’ve always thought that every person is different. You’re hyung must be an awesome brother and awesome person. But…you’re not him. Just like, my Jin hyung is amazing, I love him. But, I’m not him. I’m the exact opposite of everything he is.”

Jungkook blinked. Taehyung’s words had hit him hard and he didn’t know why he couldn’t erase them from his mind.
 
“So, I just thought. Why would you carry a symbol that represents your brother’s beliefs? If that’s-…” Taehyung pointed to the tattoo on Jungkook’s wrist. “Not who you are.”

Jungkook opened his mouth to speak but no words came out.
Why…don’t I know what to say to that?
I thought I was smarter than

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter