Loved Ones

Heir by Blood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yoongi closed the book he had been reading aloud to Jimin and kept it on the small bedside table, then dimmed the light of the lamp placed on it. He rubbed his hands over his tear-worn eyes and yawned, sitting down beside Jimin, who was now asleep. He was too afraid to lie down next to Jimin, who was still in a lot of pain, or he might have fallen asleep then and there. Yoongi had had two sleepless nights and now that Jimin was finally in a more stable condition, he felt his body giving in to the mental and physical exhaustion.

He looked at the small couch placed near the window and sighed.

"I'll have to crash there for the night. I can't stay awake anymore." He said to himself, yawning again.
The door creaked open slowly behind Yoongi and he rubbed his eyes again, expecting either Sehun or Luhan to walk up beside him and check on Jimin, like they had been doing over the last two nights.
"He fell asleep." Yoongi said, yawning, without turning around.

The reply came after a little pause.
"It's okay. I just came to see him." 

Yoongi's sleep lurched out of his system at the sound of Jungkook's voice. He got up and turned, his muscles going tense, unconsciously. His breathing had escalated.

Yoongi gulped looking at Jungkook, as their eyes met. Jungkook's face held no trace of emotion. It was just the same as he had seen it every time back the castle, when he hadn't been aware of his true identity. Yoongi remembered how deeply unsettled he had been by the look in those compelling blue eyes.
Yoongi felt no words come out of his mouth.

Jungkook held his gaze, his own eyes perfectly serene as always, no way of knowing what was going on in his head.

"I-...I was just about to leave." Yoongi said. 

"You don't have to leave because I'm here." Jungkook said, his voice neutral and low. "He would want you to be here anyway."

"I....I'll l-leave for now," Yoongi said. "You can sit beside him for a while."

He started to walk towards the door. He had just walked past Jungkook, when the latter spoke.

"Thank you."
Yoongi stopped in his track, shocked. He turned back, but Jungkook didn't. 

"Thank you...for coming to our help." Jungkook said, his back to Yoongi.

Yoongi was thrown off by Jungkook's words. He stood, dumnfounded, unable to respond.

"I'm grateful for it. We wouldn't have made it without your help."

Yoongi was still silent, shell shocked at Jungkook's words. Jungkook did not turn, he kept his head bowed, his eyes on Jimin's sleeping form.

"Jungkook..." Yoongi sighed. "I..."

"I'm grateful that you're here...that you helped me save Jimin hyung...He needs you and I'm glad he finally has you here with him....But I also know...that it still doesn't change anything."


"Wh-what...what do you mean?"
 

"It doesn't change the fact that we're still each other's enemies." Jungkook said. "And I would never expect you to fight on my side. Coz I know you're still loyal to my brother, deep down."


Yoongi looked at the broad strong shoulders of the young man in front of him and smiled. The picture of decades ago,  that he had retained in his mind, emerged - a little pair of blue eyes always sparkling with wonder and delight. The child everyone, including himslef, had once loved with all their hearts...
It was not hard, but next to impossible to compare that image with the man in front of him. 

"That's not right, Jungkook." Yoongi said. Unlike Jungkook, he failed to keep his voice emotionless and neutral. 

Jungkook did not respond or turn to face Yoongi.
"Jungkook, you're wrong-...you have me wrong." Yoongi realised he was struggling to keep his voice from choking and struggling to form proper words. 

"Jungkook, you might have grown up, but you're still the same for me, you'll always be..... I...I don't expect you to forgive me...I'd never expect that...but I just want you to know that-..."

He walked up to Jungkook and before thinking twice, he placed a hand on his shoulder. Jungkook flinched at his touch. Yoongi could hear his loud intake of breath. For a moment, he was scared that Jungkook might turn and strike. But he just stood silently, his back still facing Yoongi.

"I don't expect you to forgive the person who's responsible for every suffering in your life. And no matter how many times I say sorry, it's not going to change anything. I don't expect you to forgive me when I never could forgive myself." Yoongi said. "I've made mistakes for the longest part of my life.

 

Unforgivable mistakes...but not anymore. I failed at my duty when you were little...when you needed my protection. But I'm not going to keep on making that mistake." 

He let his hand fall from Jungkook's shoulder. He sighed and moved back a few steps. He was about to turn away when Jungkook spoke.

"Really? And when the day comes...when you watch me and my brother in a fight..." Jungkook said. "What will you do?"

He turned and faced Yoongi. In the small distance between them, Yoongi stook a step back. The look in Jungkook's eyes startled him. 
"What will you do that day?" Jungkook asked.

"You're known as the wisest person amongst my brother's council-men. You would know better than anyone-...that that fight...would end in at least one death. Seokjin's your best friend, so you know him best. And you may have gathered a small idea of what I'm like as well, over the past few days. So you know neither of us will hesitate in taking the other's life."

Yoongi felt his hair stand on end at the tranquil ease with which Jungkook's words flowed, in spite of the fire in his eyes.

 

"And I can promise you this much. After everything he has done...after what he did to Luhan hyung...after what he let that worm Kiwoon do to Jimin hyung...when it comes to the point where I get the chance to kill him...I won't let it go."

Yoongi's words were lost, looking at Jungkook's face now. The control that he always had over his face was gone. It was the same look that he had had a few days back, when Yoongi had come to the convent of the Occulis, to warn him.

"And I know what you will do." Jungkook said. "He will plead for your help. When you see him about to be hurt, you will rush to save him. That's what you will do. And..."

Jungkook clenched his jaw, his eyes going red.

"And he'll ask you to help him kill me. And guess what..." Jungkook said. "You will."

"No...Jungkook, I -..."

"You can only betray a person once in their life. Not twice." Jungkook said. "The second time, they already know you. And probably...noone knows what you are capable of, more than me."

"Jungkook, you're thinking wrong. I wouldn't..."

 

"You were right that night. I do hate you. More than my brother. At least Seokjin never pretended to care about me." Jungkook said. "That's what you did twenty years back. That's what you are doing now. But like I said...you can't stab a person in the back twice."

 

The sound of a small cough behind him made Jungkook blink. He seemed to come out of a trance and looked back. In the faint light, Yoongi could see Jimin grimace as he stirred a little, meaning he had been woken up and his pain must be rising again.

“Hyung!” Jungkook was at Jimin's side in the blink of an eye. Yoongi could not help but marvel at the total change that had come in his voice in an instant.

“Jungkook? When did you come in?” Jimin whispered, his grimace slowly settling into a half-smile.

“Uh…I just came in to check up on you. Hyung, do you need something for the pain? Should I call Sehun hyung?” Jungkook asked.


“Aish, Jungkook…” Jimin chuckled, even as he crinkled his nose in the pain. “Stop treating me like a senile old granny. I’m fine!”

Jungkook sighed and sat down next to Jimin. Yoongi watched Jimin's fond smile as his eyes followed Jungkook.

“You look like you're in pain, hyung. I really think I should at least-…”

“Kookie, shut-…” Jimin's words died at his lips as his eyes landed on Yoongi. Jungkook's height had been blocking him from view till now. Jimin's eyes widened to the size of saucers. They moved from Yoongi to Jungkook, back and forth a few times.

“Yoongi!” Jimin's voice came out as a hoarse, half-choked whisper.

“Uh…hey.” Yoongi said, waving a hand.
Jimin's eyes further widened, seeming about to pop out of their sockets.

Jimin looked back at Jungkook and the terror on his face was evident. Yoongi thought he looked nothing short of comic.

“Jungkook…” He whispered, a pointed look passing in his eyes for his friend.

“Hmm?” Jungkook was making an effort to be casual.

“Aish!” Jimin sighed, rolling his eyes. He seemed to give up all pretense and his face twisted into a frown. “Why are you two in the same room?!”

Yoongi couldn’t help but stifle a laugh. Even after the pain that Jungkook’s words had given him, Jimin's bluntness was enough to lighten up the situation.


“Jungkook?” Jimin tried to sit up.

“Don’t!” Jungkook attempted to push him down. But Jimin pushed his hand away, sitting up, the effort bringing a deep grimace on his face. 

“Aish, hyung!!” Jungkook threw his hands up on frustration.

“Jungkook...assure me you didn’t try…even once…to kill him?” 

Yoongi pressed his lips together, stifling down a grin. Jimin was really one of a kind. 

“Hyung…” Jungkook said. His voice held a smile in it, which surprised Yoongi. There was no way to tell the anger that his voice had held just a minute ago when he spoke to Yoongi.

But there was no way Yoongi would ever be able to forget that look in his eyes either. He would never be able to erase that look from his mind. 

Jungkook had spoken of hatred. But his eyes had told a different story

... Anger...pain...

 

“I'm only concerned about how to get you up and walking-…and bossing and threatening us around-…again.” Jungkook said, grinning. “I'm not focussed on killing anyone for the time being.”

Jimin's face seemed to relax a bit. He looked to Yoongi. Yoongi read his look. He wanted a confirmation of the same. Yoongi smiled at him.

Jimin let out a deep breath of relief. Jungkook did not say anything, and Yoongi could not see his face. 

An awkwardness hung in the air amongst the three of them.

“I think I should go.” Jungkook said. He rose from his place.

Jimin caught his wrist and stopped him.
“No…” he said. “It doesn’t work that way.”
Jungkook’s sat down but his shoulders were taut, his manner resistant.

 

“Okay…” Jimin released a deep sigh. He was preparing himself to say something important, which was obviously going to be unpleasant for him. 

“For once and for all…I need to talk to you both about this.” He breathed in deeply, with his eyebrows knit together, as if fearing that they might have a reaction to his words. “I need…I need you both to…I need to…Aish! I need you both in my life, alright?” 
Yoongi gulped. There was no visible reaction from Jungkook.

“So…you both are gonna have to find some way…to…I don’t know, just exist around each other…without…you know.” Jimin shrugged. "Any murders."

Yoongi felt something tigthen inside his chest. Jungkook's words still seemed to echo in the room, heard only by him.


"I hate you the most in the world.  At least Seokjin never pretended to care about me."
"You can't stab a person in the back twice."


"Hyung, its okay...Me and...Yoongi hyung are fine."
Yoongi's head jerked up in shock at the term Jungkook had just used. "Hyung"!

 

He's....He's lying to pacify Jimin. 
Yoongi "hyung"....
But of course, he used it earlier too...when I went to warn him at the convent.
"Lets hope you are strong enough to do it this time...hyung!" 


Your hatred is justified, Jungkook. But you're wrong about me. 

Jimin gave Jungkook a very blank look for a while. Then his nostrils flared and he started laughing, grimacing the very next moment from pain. He placed a hand on his chest and looked up at Jungkook.

"I'm not stupid, Jungkook." Jimin said. "And you don't have to fool me-..."

"Jungkook's right." 
Jimin froze, looking up at Yoongi, his eyes like that of an anxious kitten. Yoongi could see Jungkook's neck go stiff, but he didn't turn.


"We're okay." Yoongi said. 
Jimin kept staring at him with wide eyes, mouth slightly open.

"Yeah..." Jungkook whispered. "The past is the past. We've put it behind us."

Jimin's eyes turned to him, still big and round in disbelief.

"We're both concerned with your health right now. That's all that matters. So...we're okay. It's...not going to be an issue, hyung. We both can be...civil for you, at least."

Jimin blinked several times.
"But...Kookie..."

"It's okay, Hyung. It doesn't matter. He's-..." Jungkooks jaw stiffened once before he continued. "...On the same side now. So...I don't have a problem with him."
Jimin raised his eyebrows, his eyes boring into Jungkook's, as if he could will him to spill the truth.

"Jungkook..."

"Hyung. really." Jungkook squeezed Jimin's hand. "I mean it."

Jimin studied Jungkook's face with a confused look for a while. Then his face softened and a smile lifted his lips.

"Umm...okay, I wasn't execting that." Jimin said, sighing. 

"Hyung, umm...Sehun hyung was calling me for something earlier. He wanted to talk to me about something important. I actually forgot." Jungkook said.

"Of course you wouldn't remember to do any of the important stuff, without me to boss you around." Jimin grinned.

Yoongi watched them silently, a bit in awe of their interaction.

"That's why you need to keep in mind what I told you last night." Jungkook said.

Yoongi watched Jimin's smile disappear and his face go pale at this.

"I'll come back tomorrow, Hyung." Jungkook said and got up to leave. 

As he passed Yoongi on his way out, their eyes met and the look he held in his eyes had a message. He wasn't to disclose the conversation between them to Jimin.
Jimin sighed as he watched Jungkook disappear out the door.

Yoongi walked over and sat down in front of Jimin.

"What did he ask to keep in mind?" 
Jimin's eyes had been on the door till now. He looked at Yoongi, as the latter spoke.

"Ugh..." Jimin rolled his eyes. "He's crazy...It's ridiculous."

"Why?...what is it?"

"You won't be able to believe it. It's so..." Jimin rolled his eyes again, throwing up his hands. "He wants me-...no, he ordered me to stay away from any battles in future."

Yoongi's felt something in his chest jump at Jimin's words.

"What?" He whispered.

"I know right?! How can he be so stupid?! He does not want me to fight!...who the hell is going to protect him, if I don't...and if I don't even get to stay by his side in any fight-...Aish, this boy is so..." Jimin made a frustrated noise.

Yoongi gulped. He could not say anything.

You would risk your life but not your friend's.
 

"Yah, what are you thinking?!" Jimin slapped Yoongi's knee with his hand.

"Uh...nothing." Yoongi shook his head.

"Ahem...as for stupid your act earlier. Why? You both think I'll throw a fit if I know you're at each other's throats?" JImin said, smiling in a sarcastic manner.

"You didn't need to lie, really."

"Wha-...No, Jimin ah...we weren't lying." Yoongi said.

"I've told you this earlier, I'm gonna say it again. You at lying, Yoongi." Jimin said, sighing.

Yoongi opened his mouth but then closed it without saying anything, lowering his eyes. 

Jimin sighed loudly. He slid closer to Yoongi on the bed and took his hands in his own.

"Give him some time." Jimin whispered.
Yoongi looked up and met Jimin's eyes. "I don't think that's going to help, Jimin ah." 

"It's a lot to forgive, Yoongi. But...I know he will...I know him." Jimin said, smiling. "He will forgive you...just give him some time."

"I have the feeling that Jungkook is never going to forgive me, Jimin. And I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't. He has the right not to." Yoongi whispered. 

He looked down at Jimin's hands encircling his own. He turned his hands over, running his fingers over the very faint scars that had not disappeared completely yet.

"You both are a lot alike." Yoongi said. "Fearless and loyal."

Jimin grinned. "

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter