Liar

Heir by Blood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Yoongi]

 

There were around thirty to forty people gathered inside the hall. They all turned and bowed as Seokjin and Yoongi walked in. 

“Who are all these people? I thought we were here to meet your friend.” Yoongi whispered to Seokjin. 

“Our allies.” Seokjin said in a low voice, smiling. “Be seated.” He said in a louder voice, holding his hands up. 

The dark robed figures, most of them with hoods dropped to their shoulders receded to a number of high backed chairs placed around the length of the room and sat down. Only one of them, a short wiry figure remained standing. He turned towards Seokjin, as he approached and opened his arms wide. 
Yoongi watched with surprise as Seokjin gave a hearty laugh and embraced the person. 

“Haneul.” Seokjin said, taking the man’s hand in his. “My friend.”

“Your highness!” The man lowered himself to one knee and bowed his head. Seokjin turned to Yoongi and gave a meaningful smile.
Yoongi did not react or speak.

The man whom Seokjin had referred to as Haneul stood up and turned to Yoongi.

“Sir…My utmost respect.” 
He was about to drop to his knee again in front of Yoongi, but Yoongi stopped him by raising a hand.

“Please don’t…I’m a commner myself. And I’m immensely grateful to you, I hear you saved my king’s life.” Yoongi said.

“I was just doing my duty, Sir. It’s my duty to save our king.” Haneul said. 

Yoongi studied the man’s face.

Why isn’t he meeting my eyes when he speaks?...This is precisely the kind of person I’ve never been able to trust.
He’s lowering his eyes every time he speaks. 
And why does it seem like he’s trying to seem…a bit too loyal?

“Are you born and brought up in the capital?” Yoongi asked, trying to seem casual.

The reply came after a pause, with a very perfect smile and once again, lowered eyes…head lowered in what was meant to project respect.
“Yes, Sir.”

There it is again…
Meet my eyes…what are you hiding?

“What were you doing there that night?...I mean, I’m so glad that you were there that night. It’s such an amazing coincidence. But how was it that you ended up there?” Yoongi asked.

“I-…was…passing... through the woods that day. I was going to... a friend’s place.” Haneul spoke, in the same manner as before, still avoiding Yoongi’s eye. His smile hadn’t faltered for a second.

“Yoongi, enough questions-…” Seokjin interrupted.

“You came to Seokjin’s help against a large bunch of rebels.  You didn’t think before risking your life?” Yoongi continued, ignoring Seokjin. “Wouldn’t your family be worried if they heard this?”

Haneul glanced up, after the mention of the word “family” and Yoongi caught a brief glimpse of something in his eyes that sent a shiver through his spine. 

What was that?...A smile…a sneer?

“No, Sir. I don’t have any family.” Haneul looked down again and replied. 
Even though his eyes were down, Yoongi could not miss the change of his features.

“Yoongi, stop it. Stop questioning Haneul.” Seokjin shoved Yoongi’s arm with his elbow. He laughed lightly and reached over, grabbing Haneul’s arm. 

“Haneul …my friend, Yoongi is paranoid when it comes to my safety. Don’t feel bad.” He said.

“Oh no!” Haneul widened his eyes and shook his head vigorously. “How could I ever take offence at the respected high minister’s words?! He is one the most loved people in the dominion and I have so much admiration for him! I could set down my life for both you and the High Minister.” 

“You see, Yoongi! What did I tell you? A true loyal subject!”Seokjin said.

Yoongi studied Haneul silently.

A lot of devotion. A lot…
An amount that isn’t possible…without a motive.

“My friend tells me you told him some facts about the youngest Prince.” Yoongi said. “How is it that you know all of that?” 

“Yoongi, there’s time for all that-…”

“How do you know that Jungkook is involved with the rebels?” Yoongi continued, paying no heed to Seokjin. “How would you know all of this?”

“Sir, my brother was involved with the rebels. He is currently on the run. He told me all of this. He told me all this before he fled-…”

“Brother? Didn’t you say you had no family?” Yoongi asked.

A little silence.

“Sir…he disappointed me so badly. Joining the rebels. That I-…That I now consider that I have no family." Haneul said, eyes going down again.

“Why did your brother join the rebels? And how come you didn’t?” Yoongi asked immediately as Haneul finished speaking.

“Yoongi, what kind of a question is that?” Seokjin whispered, squeezing Yoongi’s elbow rather hard. 
Yoongi flinched but didn’t look at Seokjin.

“I am loyal to our one and only king, King Seokjin!” Haneul said, the smile coming on again.

“How did your brother know that it is indeed Prince Jungkook that is with them?...Leading them that too.” Yoongi continued.

“Prince Jungkook told them who he is of course…” Haneul looked up and met Yoongi’s eyes for the first time. The look in his eyes was a sarcastic one. He was mentally questioning the High Minister’s intelligence.

“Prince Jungkook-…” Yoongi spoke, keeping his eyes on Haneul’s. “Joined the rebels. Of course because he wanted to snatch the throne from his brother…and to take revenge on him.” 

There was a flicker that passed through Haneul’s eyes. 
Glee.

“Yes, Sir! That’s exactly what my brother told me! That’s exactly what Jungkook wants!” Haneul said.

“All that makes sense. But he disclosed his identity? The prophesied heir to the Centanaio dynasty. The greatest threat of the rebels. He stood amongst the rebels, told them who he was…that he was basically the one they have dreaded all their lives…the motive of the rebels being to wipe out the Centanaio clan…Jungkook is the one who makes that dream impossible.”

The change in Haneul’s eyes was unmistakeable and Yoongi caught it.
Haneul lowered his eyes again.

There…I saw that look.
I was right about you. You’re a liar.

“And yet, the rebels accepted him as one of their own. Even accepted him as their leader?...Wow…they didn’t even try to kill him?” Yoongi said, laughing lightly.

“Yoongi!” Seokjin’s voice was grave this time. “We are here to discuss about our plans to save the dominion from my brother’s hands. Not to harass Haneul…the one friend who came to my rescue when I needed it the most.” 

Yoongi shook his head. “I’m so sorry, Haneul shi. My intention was not to hurt you. I’m not sceptical…just wanted to make sure.” Yoongi shrugged.

“Well, I’m sure about him. And about the truth.” Seokjin said. He turned and looked around at the people seated around the room. “And these are my loyal subjects who have come to help me in this troubled time. Are you going to be there to help me too, or not?” He turned to Yoongi and his face clearly showed anger.

“Speaking of which, who are these people?” 

Yoongi now looked around and now, he could make out many familiar faces.
Several council members. Some allies, rulers of other smaller kingdoms who had pledged their allegiance to Seokjin…Jimin’s father was amongst them.
He turned his eye to the left and spotted Hoseok, who flashed him a bright grin. There was a sinking feeling inside Yoongi’s chest.


…………………………………………………………………………………………………………

 

 

“Does Jimin’s father know he’s fighting against his son?” Yoongi asked.

“We make choices, Yoongi. Priorities.” Seokjin said. “He made his. Just like his son made his own.”

“Seokjin, that man, Haneul is lying. I can tell.” Yoongi said.

“What, you can read minds now?” Seokjin scoffed. “Yoongi, I expected my best friend to be there beside me. But all you did today was humiliate Haneul. How could you? You saw how loyal he is-…”

“He’s not loyal. He’s putting up a show. For what reason, I don’t know…but I’m going to find out soon.” Yoongi said. “But what is wrong with you, Jin?! How can you trust one person and go against your own brother?!”

“That one person is the only one who came to my rescue when I needed it the most, Yoongi! When you should have come to my rescue! But you didn’t!” Seokjin shouted.

Yoongi’s mouth fell open.
“Jin…I tried to find you…like crazy. But I failed…I know I failed, but…”

“Yes, you didn’t rescue me. Haneul did. So, I trust him.” Seokjin said. “And the way you’re behaving, I’m finding it harder and harder to trust you. I’m getting the feeling that your loyalty has fallen weak, Yoongi. Are you sure you don’t want to cross over to my brother’s side?...Have you decided he is the stronger side and so-…”

Seokjin let out a loud breath and looked down, breathing hard, his face angry.

“So what is it this time?” Yoongi whispered. A tear fell from his eye and ran down his cheek as he stared at Jin, his eyes flaming. 

“What did you say?” Seokjin looked up, shocked.

“What do I have to do this time to prove my loyalty to you?” Yoongi asked. “Help you kill someone? Or give up my own life?”

“Yoongi…”

“Coz no matter what I do. No matter how many mistakes I make in life for you. It won’t be good enough to prove my loyalty to you, will it?”

Seokjin stared at him, his mouth open. 
Yoongi wiped away the tear from his cheek and looked up.

“And yes, I am still loyal to after this. After every failed attempt to prove my loyalty.” Yoongi said.

There was silence for a while. Seokjin walked up to Yoongi and embraced him.

“Please forgive me, Yoongi. You’re the one I need the most.” Seokjin said. “You’re my biggest strength, my good luck charm. Don’t be angry on me, friend. You know I can never survive without you. No matter how many people I have on my side. The day you leave my side…that day will be my downfall.”

 He let Yoongi go and looked at him with a dejected face.  “You won’t leave me, will you? I won’t survive without you beside me.”

Yoongi sighed, looking at Seokjin.

Your downfall…
But that will be my downfall too. How would I survive, watching you fall? How could I ever stand that?

“Yoongi?...You’ll be with me, right?”

“Of course.” Yoongi sighed.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………

 

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Jimin asked for what was the thirteenth time that day.

“Jimin hyung, don’t make me punch you.”

“We’ve gone on a hunt once before, Jungkook. And I watched you today…you didn’t look too strong. You were struggling! You’re weak.”  Jimin said.

They walked in through the back gates of the convent.

“I’m not weak. You are paranoid.” Jungkook said. “It’s just that I’m feeding after so long.” 

Jimin grabbed Jungkook’s arm and made him stop in his tracks.
“Jungkook…” 

Jungkook turned and looked at Jimin, taking in his worried face. He sighed.
“Jimin hyung. I’m okay.  Now that I’ve taken blood, I’ll be okay soon.” 

“Jungkook, why did you give your protection to Taehyung?” Jimin asked in a low voice.

“Because he would’ve died without it.”

“What about you?” Jimin asked. “Do you realise how many people must be after your life? Your immunity to silver was the one thing that eliminated any chances of them being able to hurt you.” 

“My shadow and shield feeling a lack of confidence?” Jungkook shrugged, grinning.

Jimin slapped his cheek softly and he chuckled. 
“This isn’t a matter of joke, Jungkook. You shouldn’t have made yourself vulnerable this way.” 

“Hyung, what would I do with a life without Taehyung?” 

Jimin sighed, looking at Jungkook.
“You’re the last person I would have expected to hurt yourself for love.” 

“Hyung?...when have you last talked to Yoongi?” Jungkook asked.

Jimin gulped and started to walk. “Why’re we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter