Chapter 5

A Hunter's Secret

Kangmin didn't want to be a ball of sadness, but he found himself being in his own bubble of sadness despite Hakmin reassuring him that judgement would be saved until Taeseon was told of Kangmin's preferences. Siwoo tried his best to cheer up the youngest, and Kangmin was afraid. Kangmin was afraid of Siwoo's reaction and he didn't want to tell him. It seemed that Hakmin had kept his promise of not telling anyone else, as Siwoo was still oblivious to why Kangmin was quieter than usual.

"Kangmin!" Siwoo called from behind Kangmin's closed door. "What?" Yelled Kangmin as he looked back towards the door. "The door's open," he called. Siwoo opened the door, spotting Kangmin sitting at Hohyeon’s desk on Hohyeon’s gaming computer. "Going out today?" He asked. "I might," said Kangmin as he shrugged. "What's up?" He asked.

"You going to the lake?" Asked Siwoo. "A bit later, why?" Asked Kangmin. "Wondered if I could go with you today," said Siwoo. "We haven't really spent much time together and Hakmin's avoiding you like the plague apparently," he said. Kangmin sighed, nodding. "Sure," he said. "I guess you can come out with me later," he said. "Great! Just let me know when you head out," said Siwoo as he closed the door behind him.

Kangmin looked back at the main computer screen, putting his headphones back in as Chan just stared in disbelief. "Is he always like this?" Asked Chan. "As far as I know yeah," said Kangmin as he chuckled some. "Come on, I want to show you something," said Chan as he moved his character in front of Kangmin's as they played the game Dayz. "Where are we going?" Asked Kangmin as he moved his character. "Follow me," said Chan as he moved his character. Kangmin moved his character and they ran out of the town they were in after looting it.

"God damn it," said Kangmin as he found his character dying from a gunshot from behind them. "Hurry and get my stuff Chan!" He said. "I'm trying!" Said Chan as he moved to kill the person before going to quickly loot Kangmin's stuff. "Can you respawn nearby?" He asked. "I can try," said Kangmin as he tried to respawn somewhere. "Aw damn it," he said. "I'm over by the big ship," he said. "I'll try and get over there, wait for me okay?" Asked Chan. "I'll try," said Kangmin as he went to loot the ship.

After about 20 minutes Chan showed up while Kangmin had his character hidden from the zombies. "I'm here," said Chan. "Where are you?" He asked. "Over here," said Kangmin as he moved into Chan's view. "Alright, let's go towards the airfield," said Chan as he dropped Kangmin's stuff down. Kangmin moved to pick up the stuff, and they continued playing for another couple hours.

"I'll see you later then," said Kangmin as he left the game, stretching in the chair. "Good luck to you," said Chan. "Thanks," said Kangmin as he hung up the call. He got up, turning off the computer and stretching before heading out of the room and downstairs to find dinner.

"Had fun?" Asked Siwoo as he spotted Kangmin. "Yeah," said Kangmin as he shrugged. "What's for dinner?" He asked. "Curry," said Siwoo. "Cool," said Kangmin as he went to get a bowl of rice and curry. He went to sit at the table and ate his food, with Siwoo joining him after a few minutes with his own food.

"So why is Hakmin avoiding you like the plague?" Asked Siwoo, causing Kangmin to almost choke on his food as he coughed. "Ah, well it's just Hakmin," said Kangmin as he chuckled awkwardly, taking a sip of his drink. "You know how he tends to get," he said. "I've never seen him completely avoid you though," said Siwoo. Kangmin hummed in response.

"Kangmin," said Siwoo. "Don't think your sobbing didn't go unnoticed yesterday," he said. Kangmin looked down. "What happened?" Asked Siwoo. "I'll tell you later," mumbled Kangmin. "Did Hakmin hurt you?" Asked Siwoo. "No!" Said Kangmin. "He didn't hurt me," he said. "Not in the way you're thinking," he said. "Then why is he avoiding you?" Asked Siwoo. "I'll tell you later, I promise," said Kangmin. "I'll hold you to that promise," said Siwoo. Kangmin nodded, looking down at his food.

After dinner Kangmin went to wash the dishes before going out to the backyard to see if it was raining or not. When it didn't look like it was going to rain anytime soon Kangmin shouted into the house saying he was heading out to the lake. He wanted some time alone before Siwoo joined him, wanting to get his thoughts together and find a way to tell him.

Siwoo ended up joining him an hour later as Kangmin sat on the boulder looking out at the water. "So what happened between you and Hakmin?" Asked Siwoo. "You two used to be great friends and now it changed within the span of 24 hours," he said. "I may have said something that changed his view of me," said Kangmin as he shrugged. "What'd you tell him?" Asked Siwoo as he climbed up onto the boulder and sat beside Kangmin.

"Can you promise me something first?" Asked Kangmin as he turned to Siwoo. "Sure," said Siwoo. "Don't tell anyone else what I'm about to tell you?" Asked Kangmin. "I want to tell them myself," he said. "Well, who knows already?" Asked Siwoo. "Jihun, Hohyeon and Hakmin," said Kangmin. "And the pack," he added. "Well, except for Kihyun but I'll tell him when he gets back with Jisung," he said. "I see," said Siwoo. "Alright," he said. "You have my word," he said.

"Well, I'm different from other people," said Kangmin. "How so?" Asked Siwoo. "I'm not like you, when it comes to looking for a wife/husband or whatever," said Kangmin. "Oh," said Siwoo. "I see," he said. "So what are you then?" He asked. "I don't have a desire to be in a relationship," said Kangmin. "So I'm not looking for a relationship in general," he said.

"That explains why Hakmin's become cold towards you," said Siwoo. "He wasn't too happy with the idea was he?" He asked. Kangmin nodded. "I'm sorry Kangmin, but I'll have to agree with him," said Siwoo. "Oh," said Kangmin as he hummed. "Nothing against you or anything but," said Siwoo as he scratched the back of his head. "It's just hard to wrap my head around it you know?" He asked. "I'll save judgement for when Taeseon says something though," he added. "Because who knows, Taeseon might accept you, and with that we will too," he said. Kangmin nodded. "So you're saying no, but you're not really saying no until Taeseon makes his decision?" He asked. Siwoo nodded. "Hakmin said the same thing," mumbled Kangmin.

"It's not always bad," said Siwoo. "I never really said no, and neither did Hakmin," he said. "Don't go and cry in your room okay?" He asked. "I know you talk to Chan and the neighboring 'shifters," he said. "Look at this with confidence alright?" He asked. "They're helping you in coming out to us, I think that's brave," he said. Kangmin nodded.

"It's not going to be easy," he said. "Because I have Jisung, Hyunwoo, Wooyeop, Hayoung and Taeseon to come out to next," he said. "Right," said Siwoo. "But don't forget, you have us," he said. Kangmin nodded. "Even though you said no you're still my teammate," he said. "Exactly," said Siwoo. "I think it'll take Taeseon kicking you out for us to really not accept you," he said. Kangmin nodded.

"Well," said Siwoo as he stood, stretching. "I'm heading home," he said. "Don't stay out too late okay?" He asked. Kangmin nodded and waved Siwoo off as Siwoo headed home. Kangmin was left to sit there for another couple hours and contemplate what Siwoo had told him as he stared out at the water.

When Kangmin got home he ran up to his room, avoiding Siwoo and Hakmin as much as possible as he went to grab a change of clothes and shower. After showering and changing clothes Kangmin went to see if Chan or Kino were available, sitting at his desk and plugging some headphones in. He browsed the internet as he waited for a response, humming to himself.

Jinho answered again, along with Chan so Kangmin started the call, waving to Jinho, who was on Kino's Skype account and Chan. "How'd it go?" Asked Jinho. "Siwoo said no," said Kangmin. "But he said the same thing as Hakmin," he said. "Waiting until Taeseon says something before making a decision?" Asked Chan. Kangmin nodded.

"Also sorry for calling late again," he said. "It's okay, really," said Chan. "Donghun had a talk with me after our gaming session, he's okay with it," he said. "I had to tell him why I was having talks with you though," he said. "He said he was okay with me?" Asked Kangmin. Chan nodded. "He promised not to tell anyone else however, he wanted to leave that to you, if you were to come over again," he said. Kangmin nodded.

"You know what I feel about this," said Jinho. "I don't want to see you go through what Kino did but I can't help but be reminded of what he went through when he came out to us," he said. Kangmin hummed, looking down.

"Can you promise me something?" He asked suddenly, looking back up at the screen. "What's up?" Asked Chan. Jinho tilted his head to the side. "Can you be there? For when I come out to Taeseon I mean," said Kangmin. "I don't think this encounter is going to end very well," he said. "Sure," said Chan. "I'll have to run it through Donghun to be completely sure but," he said. "I think Kino'd be fine with it," said Jinho. "If anything, if he can't make it then we'll come ourselves," he said.

"Bring Changgu along will you? I'd like to finally meet the dog who's kept Kino going after everything," said Kangmin. Jinho chuckled. "If Kino lets him," he said. Chan and Kangmin chuckled.

"Well, 5 more people to go," said Chan as they went back to the topic on hand. "Who's next?" Asked Jinho. "I don't know, it depends on who comes back next," said Kangmin. "I hope I don't go insane before then," he said. "You won't," said Chan. "You have our moral support," said Jinho. Chan nodded in agreement. "Thanks guys," said Kangmin.