Chapter 26

Glistening
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

With Chorong's help and trust, it seemed like it could really work. Bomi could still have her past and present homes in her life and not have to lose one. After worrying about the separation from her people for months, these possibilities gave her hope.

Namjoo was the first to greet them when Chorong and Bomi got back to the apartment, being casually downstairs. She was quick to notice how both had cried in the aftermath of meeting Hyunsik, and it was no wonder. Bomi's energy was drained, while Chorong was loosely pressed into her side.

At first Namjoo's attention had been on Chorong since the eldest had hidden in her room yesterday. Chorong was more focused on tending to Bomi though, and that made it apparent that whatever happened affected Bomi more.

They reassured Namjoo that it was nothing bad; Hyunsik just talked with them. Bomi hesitantly opened to say more words, but Chorong rubbed her back with a small look. "You don't have to push it. How about we talk about it later?"

Bomi nodded slightly, but she turned to Chorong, "I have to at least tell Joo... She can help."

Chorong hummed then. "Alright, go ahead."

So, Namjoo was told first. They had to convince her.

"They've been returning; so, it's true? I've heard but... I haven't been told fully that the union are that actively looking for nymph-kind."

The couple nodded their heads. "It's true."

"Okay. Okay, I get you two..." she said, seeming to eye Chorong with some surprise but didn't mention it. "Bomi unnie, I can't stop you from going if that's what you want. I've meant to protect you, but I know if you refused it or wanted to go back at any time, then it's not up to me. And since nothing much has happened in these months, it does make sense that your people have been coming back together… But do you trust this Hyunsik? Even though you said he's changed?"

"Yeah, I mean, it's still him. He's always been a community guy to our home in Lowes, so when this happened… I get why he's upset. It must be because of that. And he's like family, so I know he'd get me anywhere safely." Bomi took a breath, and her lip twitched with hopefulness. "I honestly… It would be good to go… I think it will make me feel reassured. But if it comes down to what Hyunsik said, then I will find a way back here even if he doesn't let me."

Namjoo nodded. "Okay. Then I'll see what I can do."

 

It was evening by the time Chorong and Bomi had calmed down and were ready to tell the rest of the girls about it too.

"Bomi unnie, you're going?"

Hayoung’s reaction appeared the biggest with big doe eyes and a crestfallen pout.

"Hayoung-ah, don't be like that. Be reasonable. You know it's hard for Bomi to choose that," Eunji tried to nudge.

"I know, but I can't help it that I'm just as surprised… I've been so used to Bomi unnie always being around."

And they all had to agree with their youngest's remark. Bomi had become like family.

"I will definitely find a way to return. I have to…" Bomi said sincerely, but her discomfort with the situation was shown in the way she sighed the most. "I don't even know for sure if it's the right idea… What do you all think?"

"It's not our decision to make, Bomi unnie," Namjoo reminded.

"But still. I want to know what you all think. It might… help."

"I can't imagine going without contact and not knowing how my family have been doing for so many months," Naeun said. "I get it if you go, unnie."

Eunji agreed. "That's what I think too. But do what you feel is right, Bbom-ah."

"Yeah. Don't be afraid of it, unnie," Hayoung supported. "Go see your family. That's what matters more."

"You guys, I won't be gone that long… even if I do go," Bomi said with a slip. The way she looked down afterwards, she must have known it too; that her words gave away what she expected would happen.

"But uh… Rong unnie. Have you already been through this, from this morning?" Eunji interrupted, making sure.

Chorong nodded.

"And you're…?"

"I am fine with it." She looked at Bomi earnestly. "Because I know Bomi wants to. It's just for a while. We'll still be together."

It was brave of her to say. And for the girls, seeing how easily Chorong accepted it was surprising.

"Whoa, unnie… Is it the first time…?" Hayoung blurted.

"First time for what? Hey, this is something to be proud of!" Eunji defended. 

"No, it's just, it's, I've never heard unnie sound this warm. It's a good thing. I think I feel more at ease knowing even our Chorong unnie is able to say it this comfortably and feel that way."

"Aigoo, kids… Enough about me…" Chorong said, embarrassed at their observations, but it only made Bomi turn around to her with a small smile.

"But I like hearing this… I feel at ease knowing this too."

 

~ ★ ~

 

After the quick talk with the girls coming home that day, there was a lot of support and understanding. As Bomi's assigned protector, Namjoo was surprisingly receptive, saying she respected Bomi's decision if that was what she wished.

They managed to find contact with Hyunsik again, who was delighted to hear of Bomi's change of mind, although the idea of a return trip took a little harder to convince. Hyunsik was reluctant, but ultimately said he would chat with the folks back home and try to prepare that favour officially for Bomi. That he would make an effort.

It was undoubtedly a fast decision they made, maybe because of the sudden turn of events, and Hyunsik clearly didn't want to stay any longer just for them. Nevertheless, they did have some time to discuss and pack, and for Bomi's cold to go down before then.

 

While helping Bomi pack for her travels, there didn't seem to be a lot she would need. Whether Bomi would even have to wear clothes when she got there was questionable, but they could at least sit and pick out some things that would be comfy for her to travel in.

Cross-legged on her bed with a towel over her shoulders, Bomi was drying her damp hair after a shower, and Chorong simply sat on the floor beside her. She folded the last set of Bomi's clothing and laid it out neatly in the duffle bag. "That's it, right?"

"That's everything."

"Hmm, then it looks like we're all done here," she said, zipping up the pack in front of Bomi, who sighed a little.

"I almost can't believe it's finally happening. Really… seeing them. It's a bit surreal now," Bomi said in thought, shaking out of her reminiscence. "Rong unnie, I didn't get to say thank you to you… I didn't even know if it was possible that we could do this. Can I even believe it? This trip… It feels like I'm leaving, but maybe it's more like… how people here visit their relatives for the holidays, since I'll be coming back after."

Chorong chuckled warmly and smiled up at her. "Yes, it's just like that. That's a good way to see it. I know it seemed like you had to choose because of me. To stay or to go… But nobody has to leave right now. I can understand that much.

"It makes me sorry that you thought of it that way, and I don't want you to lose something as important as family when they mean that much to you… It will be one less thing you have to worry about."

In these last few days that they spent together, Chorong had realised even more that it was never a debate on who to stay or who to go, but finding the trust and balance to accept each other in such a decision.

"Unnie… There is still something I worry about though."

There was a pause to Bomi's breath, looking at her. "I know you've been comforting me about this, and it's really helped, but I think I worry about you the most… It hasn't been that long since you let me know what scares you, and now you've been telling me it's okay to go… Unnie, I worry… You're going to be okay, right? Even without me here for a while. You won't… try to push me away? This won't change things?"

Chorong shook her head desperately. "It won't change things. It won't. I'm saying this honestly and I do mean for you to go happily… I trust you. I trust you a lot."

"I'll come back," Bomi said softly, and this was what she kept saying when it got to this concern. A hand reached down to brush Chorong's cheek tenderly. "It really shouldn't be this emotional, right? So why do I feel that way when I see you like this…"

"Soft," Chorong managed to mumble in her speechlessness with Bomi's change. "You really are like a baby."

"But don't you feel it too?"

The weight Chorong had been carrying seemed to dig deeper into her chest, pressing down and reminding her of that. Bomi stared thoughtfully and didn't let the expression sneak away from her sight. "There's a lot I'll miss once I'm away, so I understand… if you're hiding how scared you feel. Because I get that, too."

Chorong shook her head slightly, taking Bomi's hand on her cheek and gradually moving it away. Her fingers were cool to the touch but there was something in there to warm it up.

"I think I'll be able to work on being okay… I've got to be better with this kind of thing."

It's something Chorong has always been working through while they've been together, and Bomi has had to understand that, even when she thinks sometimes that Chorong is a bit too hard on herself. She was grateful for what she was doing.

Brown eyes warmly watched over her. "Yeah… We will be okay." It was quiet but comfortable. Chorong didn't feel the need to say more when they could have this kind of understanding. Just knowing each other's hearts, being selfless, clinging by the pinkie to the hour of their last evening.

Chorong leaned against the bed frame, only letting their hands hold them together. There was nothing to cry over, just… an understanding of what's to come was laced in their chests, worrying for the worries of the other.

"I'm worried about you, and you're worried about me. We're just a couple of worrywarts, hmm."

"Then let's not be worried about it anymore." Bomi smiled, offering a hand to pull her up.

"Yeah… I suppose it's about time we go to sleep," Chorong mused, taking her hand and raising herself up from the floor. Bomi, however, patted the spot on the bed by her side. Despite her confusion, Chorong's knees gave way to it and she sat there. "Hm? What is it~"

"I had something in mind first."

With her movements, Chorong was still slow to react when she leaned her head away with a flustered heat on her face. "Bbom-ah…" It made Bomi stifle a giggle as she kept leaning into a half-hug at Chorong's side, then gently hit her arm.

"Not like that… unnie." Her eyes, amused, and her words, slow with each break in between them. Although Bomi just said it wasn't, Chorong almost couldn't help expecting something seductive when it became this intimate, remembering how her voice could get like that. It made Chorong's heart flip a little.

"Then, what…?"

"Lie down." Bomi tapped the bed again, a demure smile forming at her girlfriend's cute apprehension as she held in her reason for this. Sure enough, Chorong slowly followed her request.

Bomi grinned and lay down too, shimmying up to her side. "Look at me~"

"Are you going to tell me what it is then?"

"That's for you to guess," Bomi whispered playfully, and it didn't take

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter