TWO

The Selected

Hongbin and I spend the entire time in front of the TV, so we're not doing much. A local TV station is doing a live report at location about what the Cha family is announcing. The Cha family have announced lots of things, such as paying a visit to everyone in the kingdom and celebrating birthdays of some of the Cha members and prince Hakyeon's birthday is one of those which is up soon. Hongbin and I look at each other and we shake our head, we don't care about it.

Hongbin never liked the Cha family like I did, but his parents were the reason why Hongbin is very much against the royal family. His parents disagreed with something , I don't remember what, and Hongbin's parents went to the royal palace to let their voice be heard. But the Cha's didn't appreciate it, because they were banned from this kingdom and they died shortly after they were banned. Since then, Hongbin wants to take revenge on the royal family and he wants to kill every single member of the royal family. I understand why he seeks for revenge, but I told him to consider this. Because he might end up like his parents and I don't wanna lose my only friend.

Then, the royal family announced something that make our eyes go wide. The King announces that it's time to step back and that he is going to look in the kingdom for someone to be the heir. The firstborn child of the family could do it, but the King wants an heir who is coming from the kingdom itself. Because we have an idea of what is actually going on. But both Hongbin and I are not going to take this, because we have nothing with the royal family and their luxurious lifestyle.

''Heh, they better pass me. I'm not going to do that .'' I say to break the silence between me and Hongbin. Hongbin agrees and admits he has the same thoughts. I hope that someone else in the kingdom is going to rule over this kingdom, but it's not going to be me or Hongbin. We have nothing with the royal family and we are very much against their way of ruling over us vampires.

On the TV, we can see that vampires go insane by this announcement and everyone is raising their hand as if they want to say that they are the perfect candidate. But I'm sure they will select wisely, hoping that they won't regret their decision. I understand they want to choose wisely, but they don't have to pick me or Hongbin. Because we are not going to fulfill that position and I don't want to change too much, because I don't wanna lose Hongbin. Hongbin is one of my only friends I have and he is also the only one that fully acceptedd me as who I am. 

The camera zooms in on the royal family and all of them are smiling and I wonder everytime whether their smile is a real smile or whether their smile is just a fake one to put up at the world outside the palace. I really wonder how their personality is like behind closed doors. Are they still the same as they show here on the balcony or are they acting like arrogant types?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hongbin gets up from the couch and walks to the kitchen to get us something. It's been a few hours since I've had something, so I'm okay with it. I keep watching the entire nonsense on TV and it's time for the children of the Cha family who get the opportunity to speak towards the vampires. The Cha family consists of four children, 3 boys and 1 girl. While looking at the TV, I focus on the Cha children and I roll my eyes as soon as the girl starts to speak. Geez, she looks arrogant and she talks in an arrogant way too.

When Hongbin returns, the youngest of the Cha children ,prince Hakyeon, starts to speak and he mainly talks about the search for the new heir. He says that he prefers to have a male vampire to take the position as heir to the throne, but that he doesn't mind if his family would choose a female vampire to be the heir to the throne. I don't care about this at all, because I am pretty sure that I won't be chosen. Hongbin then hands over my glass with blood and he then sits down next to me.

''Ugh, prince Hakyeon was talking about the search of the new heir. He prefers a male vampire to be chosen, so we are at a higher chance of being chosen.'' I tell Hongbin and he groans. I understand his reaction, because I am like that too. I don't want to be chosen either. I take a sip from my drink and I look at the screen again. The Queen says that they will make their way to the city within a few minutes. Wait what? They are going to visit vampires? No way!

''Oh God, really? I am so not ready for this.'' Hongbin groans and I nod when I look at him. I am not ready for that either and I think I'm going to find a spot to hide myself at, because I don't want to be noticed by the royal family again. Hongbin hasn't noticed by the royal family yet, but I don't hope for him that they will choose him as the heir to the throne. I mean, Hongbin isn't even a type to rule over something big as the kingdom. Not that I'm a type for that either, but I don't want that either one of us is going to be chosen.

When the royal family enters the palace again, the TV reporters wrap up the live report and Hongbin changes to another Channel. I groan and I look up at the ceiling. Hongbin and I are not interested at all in whatever the royal family wants, but we have to keep up with the news. Because we sometimes have a conversation with vampires who sometimes ask if we have seen something on the news about the royal family.

''Well Hongbin, we have to hide ourselves I guess. Because I am not going to take the throne, so I hope they will select someone else to be the heir to the throne. I hope the same for you ofcourse.'' I tell Hongbin and Hongbin giggles. Hongbin nods and admits that we should hide ourselves. But I have to go through this crowd, because I have to go home aswell and Wonshik is waiting for me. Wonshik had promised me to come over today, so I have to go home within a few hours.

''Oh, I wish I could hide here. But a friend of mine is coming over to my place, so I need to make it through the crowd.'' I continue and Hongbin nods, before he pouts. Yeah Hongbin, I wish I could hide here. But I need to go home at some point and also for when dawn is kicking in. I don't hope that either I or Hongbin will be selected as the heir to the throne. We will not fulfill that position, forget it!