ONE

The Selected

There they stand on the balcony, the Cha family. The Cha's rule over this kingdom for centuries and every vampire in this kingdom loves them, except for me. I never felt anything for the royal family and I never liked them, so why should I love them like everyone else? No one notices whether you love the royal family or not and no one should even care.

I'm at a cafe talking to my childhood friend Hongbin. Hongbin and I became friends ever since we were little vampires who had to explore more about our own specie. Hongbin's parents are friends with mine and that's how we became friends. Hongbin is like me, he isn't interested in the Cha's either. But that's why we live at the border of this kingdom, far away from the Cha family. I look through the window and I see a huge crowd of vampires pass by the cafe. I shake my head and I look at Hongbin, who shakes his head too.

''Vampires are so stupid, aren't they?'' Hongbin asks and I nod. Hongbin is right, because I can't believe either that vampires run to the balcony to see a glimpse of the royal Cha family. I don't like them and I will never like them, not even when they stand in front of me. Hongbin sighs and focuses on the cup in front of him. I point my ears and I listen to the conversations other vampires have in the cafe. There are many other vampires who don't admire the royal family that much, but they admire them on a distance. I giggle when I hear some conversations of young girls who want to marry one of the princes. Hongbin apparently has heard it too, because he giggles too and he looks at me.

''It's crazy right? Why would young girls want to marry one of the princes? I mean, they're not even that handsome.'' Hongbin admits and I nod when I put back down my cup. Hongbin is right about that, none of the three princes are that handsome to marry with. I'd rather marry Hongbin instead of marrying one of the princes. Not that I want to marry, but it's just that I choose Hongbin over one of those royals if I ever have to marry.

Hongbin and I continue to drink from our cups and it remains silent between the two of us, while the rest of the vampires in the cafe continue to talk about whatever they spoke about. Including the three princes. I roll my eyes whenever my ears pick up the conversations that are about the royal family. Some even talk about how much they look up to the royal family and others talk about how big their crush on the princes is. Well, I don't care about any of that and neither does Hongbin.

''Want to hangout at my place? Maybe we can watch a movie or so.'' Hongbin suggests and I look at him. I barely have seen Hongbin's place, so I really want to know how his place is like. I nod and a smile appears on Hongbin's face. It's been a while since Hongbin and I have done something together, so I'd love to watch a movie at Hongbin's house.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hongbin and I are on our way to Hongbin's place and we have to get through the crowd that still stands in front of the palace, admiring the royal family. Hongbin and I make our way through the crowd and we don't look up to the balcony, because we don't want to get the attention from the royal family. I guess they must realise that not everyone is a big fan of them and both Hongbin and I are two of those. But getting through the crowd isn't easy, as some vampires refuse to let us through.

''We just wanna go home, so get out of my way!'' I snarl at some vampires and the vampires do as I say, they clear the way for me and Hongbin. My ears point and I can hear from this distance what the royals talk about on the balcony. They must have seen me and Hongbin, because I hear them talking about me. I bite my lip, but I still don't look up. Hongbin grabs my arm and looks with a concerned expression at me, because he must've heard it too. I sigh when I look at Hongbin and I place a finger on my mouth, meaning that we'll talk about this as soon as we made it through the crowd and Hongbin nods. 

''They mainly talked about you, Taekwoon. Because I heard them talk about 'the tall one who tries to go through the crowd'. They don't even know you nor have seen you!'' Hongbin exclaims and I nod as soon as the crowd is far enough behind us. I heard it too, they talked about me. But I have to make sure that I stay hidden, because I don't want to be noticed again by the royals. I really hate it when vampires notice me. Hongbin grabs my hand and his eyes become more concerned.

''I don't want to lose you to those royals, Taekwoon. You are basically the only friend I have, so don't stay noticed towards them.'' Hongbin sighs and wraps his other arm around me. I place a hand on his back and I try to comfort him. I will do everything to stay hidden to those royals, I will do everything to stay unnoticed. I let go of Hongbin and he does the same, only his hand remains around my arm for a short while. The following few minutes home remain silent and I don't wanna know what is going on in Hongbin's mind, because the concerned look doesn't leave his face.

Though the crowd is far behind us, it doesn't let go of me that the royals noticed me. As much as I hate them, these conversations don't let go of me. Not that I start to worry for myself, but let's say this is once that they noticed me. I mean, there are many others they notice and I am no exception. And if I look at the many vampires that were in front of the palace, I am like everyone else here and I am just an ordinary vampire to them.

We then arrive at Hongbin's place and Hongbin lets go of me to unlock the door. It's been years since I visited Hongbin's place, so I wonder how it looks like now. Hongbin opens the door and tells me to go inside. I nod and I go in. I look around and I see that nothing has changed much compared to when I saw it the previous time. All the photos Hongbin used to have in his house are on the exact same place as back then when I saw it for the last time.

''Welcome home I guess.'' Hongbin says and closes the door behind me. I turn to look at him with a smile on my face. It's good to be back at this place, as if I came back home. I walk to the livingroom and I sit down on the couch. Even this still feels like I'm home at my second home. Hongbin lives on his own and his housemate was murdered 5 years ago when his housemate got into a fight with another vampire during a hunt. Hongbin sits down next to me and turns on the TV. Hongbin isn't in the mood to get something to drink right away, because we already drank something at the cafe. But I don't mind to be honest, I'm not in for a drink at this moment either.