Where We Belong

Come Back to You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Night turned into day. It was already 9 am when they woke up. Eunbi was sitting on the side of the bed ready to go. While Sojung was just got out of the bathroom.

“Is it okay for you? I think I forgot to ask you this.” Eunbi asked.

“Okay about what?”

“I mean, your work. You’re here with me now.”

“It’s okay. I took a week off.”

Eunbi felt relieved. At least, she was not causing another trouble for Sojung. She then stood up clutching the strap of her bag tight ready to go. The overnight was not planned. They didn’t have many things to pack up anyway. Sojung quickly grabbed her bag and followed Eunbi to get out of the room.

Sojung remembered the mechanic told her that they could take a bus or walk to his garage. Considering they had quite an exhausting day before, Sojung offered Eunbi to take a bus. They waited at the bus stop. Sojung giving Eunbi a bar of ice cream that she bought from the convenience store just in front of the motel. Chocolate flavor. Eunbi’s favorite but Sojung hated chocolate. Sojung hated what most people liked. Like chocolate or tteokbokki. But Sojung never mentioned it, almost to anyone unless they asked. Because most of the time she didn’t want to make things difficult for anyone to adjust to her. So, she never told Eunbi too.

“Why did you buy two chocolate ice creams?” Eunbi asked.

Sojung puzzled. She didn’t really know what exactly Eunbi was trying to convey with that question.

“You could buy another one. You don’t like it, right?” She added. “You also dislike tteokbokki.”

“How do you…”

“How do I know? Every time we eat those together, you’ll look at me more than your food.” Eunbi looked straight up, biting her chocolate ice cream. “You didn’t seem to be interested to eat it. Just like now.”

Eunbi turned her head and looked at the melting ice cream in Sojung’s hand. Sojung then watched the melt dripping down on the pavement.

“You don’t have to match me all the time you know.” Eunbi said.

Sojung smiled.

“I can’t really fool you, huh?” Sojung turned her head towards Eunbi’s direction. “But still, I like how they taste when I eat them with you.” She finished the ice cream in one big bite. She gave Eunbi a big smile after that.

Eunbi was staring at her for a while before she smiled back.

“Oh, the bus.”

For some reason, the seat just before the very back seat always attracts Eunbi. She really liked sitting near the window and looking at the scenery outside. When she was a student, she would listen to music too.

“Being in this city feels like we’re going back in time.” Eunbi said.

“Yes. Everything looks classic.” Sojung agreed.

Just a few minutes later, they could see water, ocean. They passed through a beach. A beautiful white sand beach where the wave was not so high and the crystal blue-colored water glittered. Eunbi sat straight up to see the beach properly.

“It’s so pretty.”

Sojung once again agreed with Eunbi but this time she didn’t say it out loud. Her eyes fixed to the scenery. And just a few hundred meters after the beach could no longer be seen, they arrived at their destination.

The garage was located not far from the bus stop. They could see the mechanic still working on Sojung car. It was so noisy that the mechanic didn’t realize that his clients had arrived.

“It hasn’t finished, yet?” Sojung asked.

“Oh, you’re here?” He said when Sojung and Eunbi already stood pretty close to him. “Ah yes, it turns out there’s a little more problems. It’ll finish in 1 or 2 hours.”

Sojung and Eunbi didn’t say anything.

“Did you see the beach?” the mechanic asked while continued working on the car.

“Yes.” Eunbi answered.

“Pretty, right?”

“Very.”

“It’s prettier because there are not so many people there.”

“Why is that?” Sojung asked when she realized she saw only a couple of people back there.

“Well, no particular reason. The city is small to begin with and we don’t have many tourists here.”

Eunbi and Sojung were listening attentively.

“We want it that way though. We don’t hate tourists but we don’t promote this city’s beauty that much because we want it to stay beautiful as it is.”

“Is that why everything in here looks very classic?”

“Exactly.” He stopped and gave them a smile before he got back to the machine. “Why don’t you take a stroll on the beach while waiting? Or maybe get some lunch too. It will be finished when you got back.”

Sojung and Eunbi didn’t see why is that a bad idea so they walked outside the garage and headed to the beach.

The walk was pleasant. The air was very nice. The city sure has its own charm. Sojung final

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter