Our First Time

Come Back to You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Did you also hear what I was talking about on the phone yesterday?” she started to worry and scared that Eunbi also knew about that fact of her death.

Eunbi looked at Sojung. “I…” she took times before finishing her sentences. “…can’t believe it. Do you think I eavesdropped you? Plus, don’t you remember you clearly locked me inside?”

Sojung felt relieved after knowing that Eunbi didn’t know anything about her fate.

“No, that’s not it.” said Sojung trying to explain that she’s not accusing Eunbi of anything.

“But seriously, you still don’t want to tell me what happened? You looked so shocked. Do you need to go back to your time soon? I won’t hold you back if you have to.”

‘Oh, Eunbi. I do have to go back. But because of you, I don’t want to.’ Sojung thought.

"It's so weird." She added.

"What?" Asked Sojung.

"To say 'to go back to your time.' I never thought I would actually say it."

Sojung let out a long 'ah'. She wouldn’t either. She barely remembered she went back through time for 3 times already, so everything still felt new to her too.

"So?" Eunbi asking Sojung to answer her previous question.

“No, it was something shocking indeed but I can stay here for a few days. I still have work to do here anyway.” She said. She was hoping that Eunbi didn’t ask any more questions about her and her job because it was obvious that she wouldn’t know how to answer her. But she thought that Eunbi must’ve known that it was related with the pouch she still needed to give to Minsoo.

“Okay then. But what is the future like?” Eunbi asked while looking up. Sojung can see her curious gaze. As if she was imagining herself being in the future doing things she never imagined she could have done before.

Sojung felt like crying seeing Eunbi like that, but she decided not to think about what will happen to the smaller girl anymore while she was there until the day she needed to go back. So, she looked away and held her tears.

“Well…” she started. Sojung told Eunbi a lot of things about her life in 2023. The picture of her life on that year was not that good from her perspective but when she was focusing on the other side of it, she was fascinated on how everything was so different with what they had on 2006.

“But like you really don’t have anyone you like now? I mean in 2023. Ugh...the time context is making me confused.” asked Eunbi.

“I’m…too busy thinking of something else.” Sojung paused. “I never think about it before.”

She remembered herself being occupied with the thought of paying the debt. Meeting someone was something out of her concern. Not a single second it crossed her mind.

"And?" Eunbi asked.

“And what?”

“What else do you have there?”

"Well, that was pretty much of it I guess."

“Aha…”

They continued their conversation without mentioning anything about 2023 nor about Sojung’s job which was a relieve for her.

***

The weather the next day was not as expected. Rain poured since morning so they have to cancel their plan to go to the park. They replaced it with doing indoor activities. Sojung thought it was actually not that bad. Eunbi can get more rest.

The afternoon, the rain came again after a short pause. Sojung took a book from Eunbi’s shelves and read it in the living room. She’s not quite a reader but she read occasionally. That day was one of the days when she felt like reading. She didn’t know how much time has passed, but she was already on her 36th page of the book. Eunbi sat near her while holding a cup of tea in her hand.

“Do you like rain?” Asked Eunbi.

Sojung put down the book to look at Eunbi with one finger holding the page.

“Umm… I never thought of hating or liking it.” she said. “It’s just rain.”

Eunbi looked outside.

"I always love to hear the sound of it." She started. "It's somehow calming. The sound when the raindrops hit the leaves, the wooden deck and the glass. And it feels like it surrounds you."

Sowon looked outside trying to understand what Eunbi meant with her words. She was too immersed in her observation she took off the finger from her books.

"Ah ! What page was it?” She said when she finally realized that she took off her finger from the book.

Eunbi just observing her from a distance without saying anything.

“Ah by the way...” started Sojung when she decided to give up with the book. “We need to go to the hospital tomorrow for a checkup, right?”

“Oh, you’re right. I almost forgot.”

“How is it though? Does it hurt still?”

“Uhmm.. nope. I actually feel really okay since yesterday.”

“Thank god then.”

The next morning, they went to the hospital early to do a checkup. Eunbi was waiting in another room when the doctor called Sojung to tell the result.

“You see this? This is the x-ray picture from the day of the accident. You can clearly see the crack here, right?” said the doctor. Sojung nodded in answer. “It’s not that bad and considered as a small fracture, but even with medications and supplements, it takes days to be completely healed since she is an adult.”

“Okay. So, what are you trying to say?” ask Sojung being a little bit impatient. The doctor pulled out another x-ray picture.

“This is today.” He said short. Expecting Sojung to understand the difference without even telling her.

Sojung looked at the new one the doctor gave her. She thought she saw it wrong, so she took the other one and compare it with both hands.

“Nothing.” She said. “There’s nothing here.”

“Exactly.” Reciprocated the doctor. “I was really surprised. It healed completely. She can take off her gypsum now.” He explained with a slight of disbelieve tone.

Sojung was stunned. She kept looking at the picture with her mind running around. The doctor told her that he will take it off right away. They both went to the room where Eunbi was and told her about the result. Eunbi was happy that she can finally take it off. She did feel that she can walk just fine and was so happy she seemed to not questioning

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter