Chapter 02

1,2,3

Jeongyeon and Momo have been friends since the start of their freshman year in college. They were classmates in one of the minor subjects they had to take. It was easy to be friends with Momo since she’s the approachable type and Jeongyeon’s a friendly one. Jeongyeon is pretty popular, she’s got the looks and her surname Yoo adds more to her popularity due to her family’s status as the leader in food industry. Momo is pretty average, but it is undeniable that she catches attention too, she’s a dance major after all, and probably because of her stage charisma that boys and girls are swooning over her though she keeps her profile low.

Their friendship easily clicked. If Momo could count the times she can describe Yoo Jeongyeon it would be like,

One, she’s easy going and confident.

Two, she’s a loud person but warm.

Three, she’s trustworthy.

It was in their second year when Momo was on her way into one of her dance classes that she happens to witness a goddess. Her time stopped and there was silence, but the sound of her beating heart is deafening to her ears. And she noticed the beautiful marks and she counts.

One, right beside of her nose line

Two, above the plump lips

Three, corner left of her lower lips.

At that very moment she knew, she was special. The girl walk passed Momo and she caught a whiff of jasmine. That scent has left a mark on Momo’s awareness. The remainder of the day felt like unreal to Momo and she couldn’t focus on her dance routine. But she was happy. This unsettling happiness is new to her. She called Sana right after her last class along while riding the train home.

Sana, I think I like someone..

There was silence. Sana would not know how to respond to this sudden confession. It was the first time Momo has liked someone. She knows this day will come but she was not prepared today.

Ahh…, good for you Momo.. So how about it, have you talked to her? What’s her name?

There’s something blocking Sana’s throat upon saying those words. Fortunately, Momo didn’t noticed.

Actually I didn’t even know her name or what department she’s in. I just saw her in College of Arts building.

You’re hopeless Momo. Anyways, just bring me dinner when you get home because we ran out of groceries. Bye

Sana briefly states and hang up on Momo. She wanted to be as casual as she can because she doesn’t want to linger on this one-sided infatuation to the dancer. They are childhood friends. They went to Korea when they started college. Sana’s family is so close to Momo like she’s also their daughter. Momo’s only family is her father who is now with another family and Momo’s left alone so the Minatozaki kind of adopted Momo. Her father just deposits money in Momo’s account for her daily needs but not really enough for her studies. Luckily Sana’s family is really kind and lets her stay with them and provides with her needs as well.

++

Jeongyeon and Momo is at the school cafeteria and Momo is spacing out, thinking of the girl she met at the Arts building. It’s as if she’s daydreaming when she saw the same girl entered and glances at them. She’s sure their eyes met in millisecond and she felt warm around her neck. Her thoughts a mess. Then she felt an elbow pushed her and shifted her attention to Jeongyeon.

“She’s pretty right? I think I like her.. “ Jeongyeon said  and the corners of slid upwards.

She saw the sparkle of Jeongyeon’s eyes. Momo stayed quiet and hid her admiration to the mysterious girl. She just nods as acknowledgement for her friend’s statement.

Days passed. And Jeongyeon made her move. While Momo is pathetically watching the scene unfold in front of her eyes. Yet she’s thankful to Jeongyeon that she now knows the one she’s crushing on, she’s Myoui Mina, a film major.

“Momo, this is Mina, maybe you already saw her in the Arts building since both of you are majoring in the same department. And Mina, this is Momo my first friend in college.”

Jeongyeon introduced during lunch. Mina sits with them. Jeongyeon easily befriended Mina, and Momo was not surprised. Mina bows a little and so did Momo as if acknowledging each other’s presence. The entire stay in cafeteria is comforting, she just observes Mina the entire time with casually nodding with Jeongyeon’s stories. The entire time it is only Jeongyeon whose talking and Mina’s just giggling with the older’s silly jokes. Momo noticed this. Mina likes Jeongyeon, and Jeongyeon too, likes Mina. Truth slapped her in the face. She suddenly felt suffocated in this large cafeteria. She excused herself.

“I-I’m sorry, I have to go to my dance class… Uhmm. Bye, see you!” Momo hastily blurted.

“Ah wait, Momo.. let us go together, I’ll be heading there too.” Mina said.

It’s as if she has no escape. With hesitation, she agreed. And now, she’s side by side with the goddess. Do you even know that you’ve turned my world upside down? Do you even know that deep inside I am a walking mess? Do you even know that right now, I want to touch you and tell you that I can make you happy too? . Momo’s mind is wandering with thoughts of Mina while giving her glimpses. Then Mina started a conversation.

“Why did you choose Dance?”

“It is the only thing I’m good at, I guess, and I want to be better at it” Momo honestly replied. And she earns a nod from Mina.

“How about you?” Momo adds

“I actually wanted to choose the contemporary dance but I think film is more practical and I like it too so that’s why” Mina said with a warm smile. Mina is a nice person. If you get to know her better, you would fall in love harder, Momo thought. They talked about their studies and everything in between until they arrived at the Arts building and parted ways.

Even though she knows her one sided love is hopeless, it still warms her heart with this kind of conversations with Mina, she still believes there’s a little space for her in the younger’s heart.

++

“So you’re telling me that the person you like is Myoui Mina? Who is apparently in love with Jeongyeon? And Jeongyeon loves her too?” Sana casually said while in the couch munching her favorite ice cream that Momo bought after classes.

“Yes for all.” Momo said while grabbing the other ice cream in the convenience store plastic bag.

“Hmmm.. So what are you planning to do? I think you should stop hanging around them? You’re torturing yourself Momo, you know that right?”

“It is not that easy Sana, I am friends with Jeongyeon and Mina also. I could not just cancel them in my life like that”

“Just admit that you’re still hoping that you and Myoui still has a chance.”

Momo sat in silence. Sana has always a thing or two to say to her. She never wins in any argument with Sana. It’s not like I have a chance to begin with.

++

It has been almost a month that she’s hanging out with Jeongyeon and Mina. She sometimes felt that she’s a third wheel whenever they are together. But Mina never fail to talk to her once in a while they are together, like she’s also a close friend. Momo appreciates that. Mina is always giving her that warm smile, the gummy smile she adores. And it eases the pain away everytime she sees the younger. But reality will strike again and the atmosphere will shift to the two happy souls in front of her emitting love signals. And something squeezed her heart. Everytime this happens, she will excuse herself to avoid any more damage.

++

Momo doesn’t know if it is the cold weather or her tired muscles due to non stop dancing that makes the surrounding extra gloomy. It’s as if sending her a signal of something unknown. BUZZ. A call. It was almost 8 in the evening, she doesn’t expect a call from anyone. But it was Jeongyeon. She answered.

“MOMO!!!! MINA AND I ARE NOW OFFICIAL! She’s now my girlfrieeeeend!! Oh my God Momo!! I am so happy!!” Jeongyeon said, more like shouted.

At that moment. Momo now understands the heavy feeling of her heart that night. So this is it. This is it. She doesn’t know what to say or more like what to feel. But she feels her nails sinks in to her palm deeper. She couldn’t contain her emotions, she’s extremely lonely that she’s unaware of the sea of tears running through her cheek while standing still in the middle of the walkway. She ended the call without saying anything to Jeongyeon for she might say things she doesn’t want to reveal. Now the wind became heavier and colder. She envelopes her arms around herself, she should be happy for her friend right? She should be happy for Mina as well.

++

Momo’s thoughts are a mess. It was the first time Momo tasted alcohol. Believing what the older folks say regarding alcohol that it can make people forget feelings. And her innocent self believed that, but now she’s proven them all wrong. It doesn’t help at all; it will just bring out those up emotions she tried to hide for months. Her subconscious lets her speed dial Sana’s number to drop her a call telling her she’s out here wasted. And the last thing she heard was Sana’s swearing.

++

 

 

To be continued...

A/N: Double update for today cause why not? Goodnight and Goodmorning! I am now going to sleep. The next chapter will focus on the present. Enough of the flashback. Just leave a comment if you want more flashbacks :) i might insert some in the next chapters. Thank you!