Chapter 12

1,2,3

Today is a busy day for Mina, fortunately because she will be in a series of meeting with the other staff in her project, without Momo, she asked Dahyun to assist the older in her tasks. She attended every meeting but she couldn’t help but to look for a certain someone among the cubicles whenever she went into her office room. She’s not around, maybe they went to the studio room.

Mina is right, Dahyun is with Momo at the studio room, she’s orienting the new music director on the equipment she would use more often to create music.

“So that’s all you need to know, if you have any question, feel free to approach me, or Mina”

“Thank you, Dahyun. I’ll review first the script” she smiled warmly to the girl.

“Well, work aside, how are you with Mina before? I mean you were friends right?”

Momo felt a slight squeeze in her heart upon the question about their past. She doesn’t want to talk about it.

“Well, we just used to hang out before and we were very close” Momo’s answer is short and Dahyun just nodded in acknowledgment.

“Ah I see, I just thought that there was something else, because I can feel you were a bit awkward with each other. But maybe I was wrong” she smiled and went out of the room.  “Bye Momo, this room is all yours, use it anytime you want”

++

Momo didn’t realize that it was already late at night when she finished reviewing one part of the script. She packed her things immediately and went outside the building. If only she knew she would witness the scene in front of her, she wouldn’t have hastily left the building. The sight that unfolds in front of her is unbearable. She was standing in front of the lobby and the image is very clear, she saw Jeongyeon kissed Mina in the lips, it was quick but the pain didn’t go away even after the act. She grasps the situation. Mina is already with Jeongyeon. The two entered the car and disappeared in her sight. She forgot to breathe and felt heaviness in her heart. She squeezed her chest. I wanted this right, this is what I deserve. I should be happy that Mina found her happiness. She tried to convince herself.   

++

Mina was surprised by the sudden contact with Jeongyeon, she couldn’t move and react as soon as it happened. But the kiss felt shallow for Mina, she couldn’t even absorb what just happened because her mind was occupied by thoughts of Momo. It still felt unreal that after these years, they met in an odd way. Inside the car, Jeongyeon is giddy, she seemed amused by what she just did. They dropped by a restaurant.

“I finally met her Jeongyeon” Mina started, earning the older’s attention. “Momo, she’s working in my team” she felt her own voice shaking by the mention of her beloved’s name. There was a pause and an unsettling silence.

“How was it? Working with her? Have you talked?”

“It was difficult… and we talked, but work related, nothing personal. I couldn’t bring myself asking her about that.” Mina admits.

“Guess I already lost” Jeongyeon chuckled.

“What do you mean?”

“I could never replace Momo, now that she’s here, my chances with you became slimmer” she faked her smile. “But I’ll always be here when you need me” she assured.

Mina knew what was Jeongyeon is talking about. Momo never really left her mind nor heart. Not in six years. She couldn’t believe it herself, the impact that the older left and how it’s taken a toll in her love life. She couldn’t even feel attracted to someone. She’s been surrounded with beautiful people but she’s just that focused on the void in her heart.

“I’m sorry Jeongyeon, and thank you for sticking with me” she held the older’s hands feeling grateful for being her friend all these years.

++

 

Momo woke up feeling unmotivated. The movie-like scene she witnessed last night took all of her determination to go to work. But she decided to face the truth and just do her job. She arrived at the office and she immediately went to the music studio, so she couldn’t see Mina. But it was hard to avoid your production director especially if you’re taking their directions. Mina called for a meeting with her team to discuss the schedule for the week, what needs to be done and the like.

Momo sat in one of the chair around the conference table. Mina was talking in the front presenting a neatly done presentation. Momo studied Mina. She’s become prettier, more matured and smart. She handles herself well and can make anyone follow her lead. She’s a great production director. Mina is living her dream now, while on the other hand, she’s trying to be associated in music, because she could no longer pursue her dream.

After the half day meeting, Momo excused herself and went directly to the music/studio room where she’s alone. She knew it was hard from the start, but it was harder knowing that Mina and Jeongyeon is now dating and she couldn’t risk seeing them together like the other day. It’s killing her.

++

It was already past the working hours of some employees and Momo decided to go to Mina’s office. Mina is busy with working on some profiles Dahyun gave her for review. She needed to finalize the casting and set the script reading date with the actors. With the slide of the glass door, Mina looked up, surprised by the familiar figure approaching her table. It was unusual for Momo to approach her at this hour.

Momo handed her a folded paper and she opened it, she felt a shortness of oxygen upon reading its content. Momo wanted to quit being her Music Director.

“Is it really your thing to quit easily? I thought you’re more than that” these words were like dagger. Mina felt the sharpness of her words. But she couldn’t help it, the words that she tried to bury inside her heart were spitting out uncontrollably.

“This project will be postponed if you suddenly quit and we don’t have that luxury of time to find another music director. I just hope that you’re professional enough to understand that” Mina continued

Momo finds it hard to respond, she just stood there in front of Mina clutching the hem of her shirt. “I’m sorry, I don’t think I could meet your expectations” Momo said, half meant.  

Mina folded her laptop and stood up, she tore the resignation letter in front of Momo.

“Your reason is unacceptable, and I won’t accept your resignation” Mina sternly said and grabbed her hand bag and walk past Momo towards the glass door.

“Make sure to submit your draft by the end of next week” and she left leaving Momo behind the office. It was like a wakeup call to Momo. What Mina said is all true, her work shouldn’t be affected with personal reasons.

 

++

The deadline she gave to Momo is quite short. She has to work overtime almost every day, and Mina noticed that, she suddenly felt guilty. She felt she went overboard on imposing the strict deadline on the older. It’s been days since Momo has been shutting herself in the Music room. Her feet led her to the front of the music room. I’ll just check about her progress, nothing else. She convinced herself.

She slowly opened the sound proof door and looked for the presence of Momo. She thought at first that Momo is not there until she noticed that Momo is sleeping. The older is sitting on the chair, sleeping on the messy table with her arms parallel each other supporting her head as pillow. Mina slowly walked towards her avoiding any sound of her footsteps to keep her from waking. Mina sat down at the vacant chair beside her and she stared carefully at Momo’s sleeping features. She felt her heart started to uncontrollably beat faster. This is vexing, Mina unconsciously reached for Momo’s face, her fingers gently the strands of hair that’s covering her pretty face. Her eyes became glued to the older’s lips and she felt her urges coming out. She’s almost at her limit when Momo’s eyes slowly opened and in a moment she quickly stood up and moved away.

“You’re here, I’m sorry I fell asleep” Momo uttered rubbing her eyes while sitting properly.

“It’s okay, I-I just want to check on your progress” Mina reasoned

“Oh right, I actually wanted you to hear this” Momo stood up and took one of the headphones, clicking the play button in her laptop. She positioned herself in front of Mina and gently put the headphones over her head. Mina can feel the breath of Momo against her with the distance between them. In a beat, she was immediately immersed with the music playing in her ears and she closed her eyes. Why does it sound familiar? I just heard it only today but the feeling is familiar, it’s comforting. Flashes of memories played in her head, those times when they used to listen to the same songs, the moments where they would cuddle in her couch watching dance performances, these memories feel like it was just yesterday. She didn’t notice a tear escaped her eyes upon opening them, and the sight of Momo in front of her makes it harder to suppress them. She wiped them immediately and removed the headphones.

“I-I’m sorry, it was just too good” she managed to say calming herself.

“Really? It wasn’t complete yet but I think I will be able to give you the draft by the deadline” Momo explained fixing some of the mess in the table.
 

“It’s getting late; you can continue that tomorrow” Mina suggested. Momo is hesitant at first until her stomach growled. The younger noticed that and clutched at Momo’s arm dragging her outside the room.

“Let’s grab something for dinner, my treat.” Momo couldn’t retort and allowed herself to be pulled by Mina.

++

The moment she realized it, they are both sitting at a fancy restaurant. Mina busied herself with her phone while waiting for their food. And Momo is keeping glances at the younger. Mina puts her phone down and decided to talk.

“I’m sorry for the things I’ve said last time, about your resignation” Mina started.

“No, it’s okay, you were right, you made me realize things” then there was silence. Momo decided to change the topic.

“I was surprised that you really became a Production Director at such a young age, I know you will do well in your career”

Mina couldn’t understand but she felt suffocated by those words. She hasn’t regarded herself as someone accomplished. It is true that the journey to be where she was now is hard but the hardest part is that she has to face it alone without Momo. It was not how she visualized it to be. She can hear her own heart breaking. The unspoken words suddenly came out from .

“So why did you decided to become a Music director?”

“Because it was the closest to my dream” what Momo said is true but Mina couldn’t understand what she meant. There are too much she wanted to know about the six years they haven’t seen each other. Why did broke up with me? Why did you disappear? Why did you go to Japan? And why are you stirring up my emotions now?

They walked outside the diner and Mina drove Momo to the nearest subway station.

“Thank you for dropping me here, see you tomorrow PD-nim” Momo quickly said and exits the car. She just stared at the older’s back slowly disappearing her sight. She let out a heavy sigh. You should give up Mina, you’re way too pathetic. Mina is taking a mental note to herself.

++

After a few days, Momo was able to submit to Mina the promised draft.

“This is great Momo, Good job! it really suits the scene. Also the BGM at Part 3 is perfect.” Mina praised Momo, and Momo felt happy with the reaction.

“Thank you Mina, I’ll work harder”

“By the way, we have an out of town shoot next week, you should be there so you can see firsthand on what we’re working for. Momo just agreed and went outside the office. Mina has mastered the art of pretending to be fine every time she’s with Momo. You’re doing great Mina.

++

Sana occasionally go to Momo’s apartment during weekend. It became a habit. She’s been working in one of the TV stations in Japan. Even with busy schedule, she made sure she has time for Momo.

“Momo I bought some lunch, have you eaten?” Sana asked upon entering Momo’s flat.

“Satang, thank you, I am hungry”

“Have you been drinking your medicines? You should never skip.” Sana said inspecting the medicine cabinet if the tablets have been reducing.

“Don’t worry, I always set an alarm for that” she assured her

They ate their lunch and settled at the couch watching TV. Sana would lean on Momo and the older will wrap her arms around her.

“Sana, I am working with Mina” she decided to confess. Sana gave her a surprised expression.

“But I couldn’t tell her the truth, especially now that she’s happy with Jeongyeon” Sana felt the pain in those words. If Momo would only look at her differently she would do everything she could to make her forget the pain. Look at me.

In a moment, Sana leaned forward, slowly brushing her lips against Momo’s. She crossed the “best friend” boundary, those years of concealed emotions suddenly revealed itself. Clutching Momo’s collar, she deepened the kiss, lips parted. Momo reacted and kissed her back, hands settled on her waist. It lasted long until they are breathless. The pulled away, foreheads touching.

“I know this isn’t the best time, but I thought you deserve to know… I love you … longer than I can remember”

Sana doesn’t know where the courage is coming from. Maybe it was the fear of losing her chance.

“I know it might sound foolish but, would you want to be more than friends?” she asked Momo who is still lost with what just happened. After a few seconds, Momo gently kissed her. Pulling herself from the kiss, Momo looked at her sincerely.

“I want to fall in love with you Sana”

 

++

A/N: Please don't hate me. And I'm sorry in advance.