Chapter 14 (final)

1,2,3

Ever since they started dating, Sana tried so hard to make Momo happy. She never failed to visit her every now and then, going to dinner together and staying at the older’s house every week end. It was a routine. One day she wanted to surprise Momo so she went to her office, almost time for dinner. She parked her car across the building and dialed Momo’s number.

“Hello Momoring, where are you? Are you free tonight?”

“Hi Sana, I am not in the office, I’m sorry… we’re working with outdoor scenes” Momo said. Sana shouldn’t be surprised when a familiar figure went outside the building. She saw Momo and beside her is Mina. Mina’s arms were linked into the older’s arms. Liar.

She felt a lump in that’s blocking whatever she wanted to say. “N-No worries, I’ll see you tomorrow then, I love you” she said feeling her hands shaking.

“I love you too”

Sana’s eyes were glued to the couple even after she ended the call. Liar. How can you say you love me in front of Mina? She gripped the steering wheel showing her white knuckles.

At that moment, Sana knew that Momo is cheating on her. She decided to play Momo’s game. She doesn’t have the gut to break up with her, she’s not ready to let go of Momo. She knew that Momo wanted to talk to her about something, and she’s not oblivious of the things Momo wanted to say that’s why she always avoids the topic. Let me be selfish for once. I’m sorry Momo. I cannot give your freedom yet.

 

++

Mina’s exhausted with the whole day meeting that has just finished. She went to her office to leave her laptop and sneakily went to music room, it became a habit. She didn’t believe it herself as well, that she’s having this secret rendezvous with Momo. It’s dangerous. But both of them couldn’t stop. She just blindly accepted the fact that Momo is with Sana and she’s been sticking with Momo until she broke off with her.

She felt the hair at the back of her neck rising while walking towards the music room. She suddenly felt nervous. She opened the door and her eyes widened at the sight of Momo looking lifeless lying on the floor. “Momo?!” She quickly called an emergency and shake the older’s shoulder trying to gain her consciousness.

“Momo? Please wake up.” She checked her pulse that’s getting slower and slower. She’s panicking and the tears couldn’t stop from falling. She’s afraid she’s too late. Her hands are trembling. Fortunately, the ambulance came quickly and they placed her in a stretcher, giving her the first aid she needed. She was equipped with oxygen inside the vehicle and she’s at the side watching while the person in white is trying to get a hold of Momo’s fainting heartbeat.

They ran inside the emergency room and she was pushed aside as the doctor is doing something into Momo’s body. She couldn’t grasp the situation. All she could do was look. Things were attached to her body and Momo is looking pale. The doctor cut the clothes and she noticed the long scar in Momo’s chest. She hasn’t noticed it before. Momo never showed that to her. She paved her way towards the doctor who is talking to the nurse.

“What’s happening? She’s safe right?” Mina pleaded. Wanting a positive response from the doctor.

“Are you a relative?” Mina just nodded.

“She had a heart surgery before, but the surgery isn’t hundred percent successful. She might have missed her medicines that’s why her heart couldn’t circulate enough blood properly, also her arteries are clogged. We need to transfer her to ICU for now, she needed enough supply of blood for another surgery.”

The information is too much too handle; she couldn’t really understand but Mina felt her knees weak. Hands are still trembling because of the situation. She hugged her knees while sitting in one of the chairs outside the hallway.

Not long enough, Sana went running towards her. Sana saw the miserable look in Mina’s face. She knew at that moment that Momo is not in good condition.

“Mina, what happened?” she shook Mina’s lifeless shoulder, shaking her off from staring into nothingness. Mina’s cheeks were stained with tears. Her eyes were red and wet, tears still threatening to fall.

“She’s… she’s” Mina couldn’t find the words to describe what’s happening either and she just cried. Sana went to the doctor to ask instead to get a clear explanation to what’s happening. After hearing from the doctor, Sana sat beside Mina, feeling the pain in her chest. She held her head in frustration. “Why does it need to happen again?” she blurted, earning Mina’s attention.

“Again? What do you mean?” Mina asked holding the older’s shoulder like her life depended on it.

“So Momo didn’t tell you yet. She broke up with you because she thought she’s dying, she left because she’s afraid she might ruin your future, that she could no longer take care of you” Sana started. Mina felt the stream of tears flowing in her face upon hearing those words. All this time, Momo has been battling with this illness.

“I told her, she could depend on me, I don’t need to be taken care of!” Mina said in frustration.

“You know Momo, she’s too nice to burden the people around her, if I didn’t insist on getting her a surgery, I don’t know what could happen” Sana started to cry, letting the tears escape her eyes. Mina finally put the puzzle pieces of their past together. The reason why Momo just dropped out and not pursue her dream, the full time work at the restaurant, the sudden disappearance.

“Thank you Sana, for sticking with her when I was not around. And I’m sorry…” Mina said in a pause feeling her heart tightened. She wanted to apologize to her, for stealing Momo, for playing unfairly.

“I knew… I knew all along that you’re secretly going out with Momo” Sana confessed. “I knew her very well that she couldn’t keep anything from me. And I knew that she wanted to break up with me soon, yet I avoided every chance she had. I’m selfish, aren’t I?”

Mina shook her head, disapproving Sana’s statement regarding selfishness. “You’ve done everything for her, you’re not even close to being selfish.” Mina said in shaky voice.

“I would set Momo free when she wakes up” Sana decided. “So she had to wake up soon to make you happy, you’ve suffered enough Mina, you both deserved to be happy”

Sana is too selfless; Mina could attest to that. She was more than happy that Momo has found a friend like her. If it weren’t for Momo’s condition, this could be a happy reunion.

“Thank you Sana, I promise I won’t leave her”

 

++

Mina didn’t leave Momo’s side, beside the demands with her work, she made sure to always visit Momo at the hospital. The doctor insists on doing the surgery as soon as possible if they could just find a blood donor for the rare blood type. It was a struggle for Mina to find one. She even inquired to other hospitals and to no avail, they couldn’t provide as well.

Mina knew it was not the best idea but she tried her luck this time. Now, she’s at the front of Hirai residences. She hated Momo’s father, but she has to beg for his cooperation this time. It’s just a matter of time and Momo needed the surgery. After pressing the door bell, a lady opened the door. She’s assuming it was the second wife of Mr. Hirai.

“I’m Myoui Mina, a friend of Momo, can I speak with Hirai-san?” she asked. The lady’s face turned sour upon hearing the name of Momo.

“Come in” the lady guided her to living room to sit down while waiting for Momo’s father. It wasn’t long when the man appeared. He looked like Momo so much, Mina thought, no wonder she’s a Hirai.

“What do you want?” he asked sternly. His voice was deep and authoritative.

“Momo is sick, and she needs your help” Mina said directly. She doesn’t have time to beat around the bush. His eyes don’t waver. He didn’t even flinch.

“If that’s all you have to say, you can go now.” He sat up preparing to leave the living room. Mina was too stubborn to just leave. She grabbed the edge of his shirt stopping his tracks.

“Can you please be a father to Momo for once?”  it sounded bitter but she means it. She was left with no choice. Mina is frustrated that her tears are threatening to fall.

This statement has woken up the string’s to Hirai-san’s heart. He knew how Momo despised her, and he didn’t even make a move to ask for her daughter’s forgiveness. But today, he wanted to do something for her daughter.

“Where is she?”

++

 

Mina and Hirai-san immediately went to the hospital to get the surgery done. Mina’s palms are sweating. She saw Momo was moved to the operating room accompanied by numbers of nurses. The scene unfolding in front of her is chaotic, she felt people are moving around but the noise is deafening. She stayed in one of the benches outside the OR.

Six hours, it was the duration of Momo’s operation. Mina felt that six hours is too long when you are waiting anxiously. She couldn’t sit still. Her brain is constantly searching for any sign that Momo will be fine, that she will keep holding on. Her hands are trembling and would constantly bit her nails. This is the most frightening six hours of her life.

 

++

Momo has a dream. Everything was white, and it’s peaceful, she couldn’t feel any pain. But she felt that something is missing. But she still walked forward, without looking back. There were no traces of anyone until an image appeared in front of her. It was blurry. The person’s image became clearer upon walking closer. She knew from the silhouette that it was a woman, wearing all white. Mom? She had never seen her ever since she was ten. She ran towards her and hugged her tight. She missed the warmth and presence of her mother. The woman pats her head lightly, comforting her.

Have you been well Momo? The woman asked. Momo pulled from the hug and faced her. She couldn’t talk but she managed to give her a nod. You’re still bad at lying. Her mom chuckled. Momo was confused. Her mother turned her back and started to walk away but Momo clutched her hand to her arms. Wait! I’ll go with you; I don’t want to be separated again from you. She appealed. Are you sure you want to come with me? This made Momo thought about the emptiness she felt. Am I forgetting something? But she shrugged it off. Yes, I’ll go with you.

 

++

The lights above the operating room turned off, signaling the end of the agonizing wait. Her hands still shaking. The glass door opened and the group of masked nurses went outside, along with the doctor. She desperately approached the doctor who performed Momo’s surgery. He looked tired and sweat is evident on his forehead. He removed his mask to speak. Mina couldn’t understand the words, it was deafening. All of a sudden she fell on her knees.

 

++

 

Months passed, Mina went out of her flat wearing a white dress. She took her car keys from her hand bag and unlocked her car that was parked. She entered and put her bag at the passenger seat. It’s getting chilly outside so she set the temperature high. Her slender fingers pressed the play button on her car’s sound system. The song Momo made for her self-directed film played in an instant. Memories of Momo kept flashing in her mind while driving the expanse of Tokyo. Mina, I’ll stay with you as long as you want me too. It was one of the many promises Momo made and she still clearly remembered how it made her feel that day at the Han River when she was feeling depressed. There are too much memories.

She stopped by a coffee shop and met with Sana. It was evident that the older has lost weight, maybe because of stress. And she couldn’t deny that she’s not looking great as well.

“Hi Sana, how are you? Mina asked as she sipped her cup of Americano.

“I should be the one asking you that.” Sana countered making the younger fall in silence. The answer should be simple but she couldn’t bring herself to tell exactly how she feels. It is difficult to put into words.

“I’ve been busy” Mina could only state the facts. They exchanged a few more conversations until Mina has to leave, remembering she had to go to an important event.

“Thank you for your time” Mina said giving a warm smile to Sana. The older pulled her for a hug. “You know you can count on me when things get hard” Sana whispered comforting the younger. It was ironic how they became friends after all the misunderstandings before.

It was getting darker and Mina made it on time for the event. The venue is packed with media and supporters. She slipped through the crowd and found Dahyun already inside the lobby.

“I thought you’re not gonna make it. People are looking for you; you shouldn’t disappoint them” Dahyun said

Today is the day of movie premiere. She attended to the media before the movie started. All of her team are present today except for one, Hirai Momo. She felt her heart sank at the thought that the movie will premiere without her. Our efforts have paid off Momo, I wish you were here.

Mina is seated at the center of the movie theater surrounded by her team, beside her is Kim Dahyun. It started. The opening BGM of the film reminded her of the moment where she saw Momo inside the music room sleeping soundly, it was the song Momo was making that time. Every scene of the movie, reminded her of the moments spent with her other half. Tears fell unconsciously. She felt a tight grip on her hand.

“Are you okay?” Dahyun worriedly asked, seeing Mina crying in silence.

“I’m fine, I’m sorry, I’m just getting emotional”

The movie ended and Mina felt drained with all the tears came out from her eyes. I wonder when will my tears run out. Her heart became heavy upon exiting the theater. Among the crowd, she could not fail to notice the familiar face at the back. The person is holding a bouquet of flowers, sitting on wheel chair, accompanied by a woman in a uniform. The person gave her a warm smile. The smile she missed for the past few months.

“Momo?”

The tears she just dried up began flowing again. She fought her way through the crowd to reach her. She ran towards her, kneeling in front of Momo throwing herself for a tight hug. The flowers fell on the floor as Momo reciprocated the hug. She couldn’t believe what she’s seeing. Is this real?

“Congratulations” Momo gently said, caressing the younger’s head who is lying below her chest. “I’m sorry if I didn’t make it from the start” she continued. Mina shook her head, still crying. Words were not enough to describe how Momo made her the happiest. She missed Momo’s voice, her warmth, everything. She stayed like that, clinging tightly, afraid that it was all a dream.

Mina pulled herself from the hug slowly. She stared at Momo’s brown orbs.

“When did you wake up?” Mina managed to ask despite her outburst of emotions.

“I gained my consciousness this morning, the nurse told me everything and I decided to surprise you” Momo explained while rubbing her thumb on Mina’s tear-stained cheek. “I’m sorry for not waking up soon” Mina shook her head. “You don’t have to apologize, what matters most is that you’re fine… I’m glad, you came back” she tried to smile despite her crying mess.

“I dreamed of you, I can hear your voice calling out for me”

Momo caressed Mina’s face, she couldn’t believe that months have already passed, yet the person in front of her is still the same, the beauty marks are still there, and she love everything about her. But the pain and longing is evident on the younger’s eyes. She wanted to erase her worries away. She leaned forward for a slow and soft kiss closing both of their eyes, it was comforting in ways that words couldn’t define. Her hand rests below the younger’s ears intermingling her fingers with her locks.

She pulled from the kiss, their foreheads touching. Looking closely at the most important person in her life, Momo thought of three things.

One, the girl in front of me is still astoundingly beautiful

Two, I’ve been hopelessly in love with you.

Three, I would never make you cry again.

 

++

END.

 

 

A/N: This is my first time finishing a fic. I was happy with all your feedback. I’m sorry to those who are disappointed. My mind is really messy with ideas that’s why I am updating every now and then. I actually had another prompt in mind but I will be focusing on my career first. I’ll be writing soon, probably this November.

You can follow me on twitter: @MoguriMyoui