Chapter 05

1,2,3

Sana and Jihyo were playing in the other side of the shore when Sana saw Momo rushed towards the direction of Mina. She couldn’t understand the situation but one thing is for sure, Momo cannot swim and Sana has to save her. She swiftly swims and dive into the deeper part where the two are located. She’s afraid if she will be able to save her. Momo lost her grip to Mina. JIhyo followed her and was able to save Mina, thanks to Momo’s quick reaction. Sana tried her very best to chase Momo down exerting all her effort to dive deeper. Once she found Momo’s arms, she pulled her upward desperately and gasp some air. She took Momo’s arms around her neck, tears evident to Sana’s eyes when she released Momo in to the shore. There was terror in Sana’s eyes. She slapped Momo’s face repeatedly. She noticed the pale color of the older’s skin. Momo’s heart already stopped.

“Momo! Wake up!” Sana shouted. She tries to calm herself and is now doing CPR to Momo, she put her palm onto Momo’s forehead and gently tilted the head back. She gently lift Momo’s chin forward to open the airway. She put her hands on Momo’s chest and performed chest compressions repeatedly. She’s desperate, it was almost 30 mins and she’s losing hope but she keeps on doing the maneuver.

Jihyo is keeping Mina away from the two. She’s comforting Mina and she knows that letting her go to Momo won’t help her. She believes Sana knows what to do in this situation. She also called the owner of the inn for help and the medics are on their way.

Mina’s eyes blurred from the tears she cannot contain anymore. Why is Momo in this situation? This is all my fault. Please, Momo wake up. I will never forgive myself if something bad happened. Mina was still being held by Jihyo. Then there’s a reaction. Momo coughed. And both of them run towards Sana and Momo.

++

Vision is still hazy and Momo was looking around and the first thing she saw was Sana who is hugging her tight and crying. Her thoughts disoriented and a sudden memory brings her back to reality.

Call her crazy but the first thing that Momo said was “Where’s Mina? is she okay?”

She sluggishly sat down and Sana released her arms that was wrapped around her. Momo roamed her eyes around and she saw Mina with Jihyo approaching. She was relieved to see the girl safe. The medics are coming towards the scene and attended on Momo to check on her condition. She was brought inside the inn.

Sana remained outside the inn, sitting on one of the reclining bench, her head leaning on her knees. Her hands still shaking. Jihyo sat beside her and covered her back with dry towel. She rubbed Sana’s back comforting her.

“Jihyo-ah, this is very painful” Sana said in between sobs.

“It’s alright now, she’s safe, you did everything” Jihyo assured, assuming that is what Sana meant.

Sana clearly knows that Momo loves Mina. What she doesn’t know is the extent of what Momo can do for Mina, even risking her own life, forgetting her fear just to save the girl. And this realization is now sinking on her. She doesn’t know what to feel. She’s relieved that Momo is fine now but at the same time she’s more upset when Momo is more concerned with Mina’s condition when she almost lost her own life. Sana used to be the most precious person to Momo. She recalled the moment when they were back in Japan, the 14-year-old Momo always protected her from the school bullies. Sana used to be the target of bullies because of her weird accent. Sana would never forget when the older was sent to detention office for skipping classes. Momo never skipped classes before. Sana went straight to her locker to get her PE uniform. After changing, she noticed that the uniform isn’t hers. It is Momo’s, she is sure. During her track and field class, she noticed that those who always bullies her are missing. She was relieved that they are not around but it doesn’t feel right. After the classes, she waited for Momo until the detention has ended. They walked together to Sana’s house where Momo is also staying.

“Momo, why did you skip your class? What happened?” Sana wanted to know the reason.

“Well, I lost my PE uniform so I have to skip, it is nothing serious actually” Momo said looking away from Sana.

“So why is your uniform in my locker? I know you Momo, you’re keeping something from me.” Sana read through Momo’s lies.

“Ah, so it was there, maybe I misplaced it to your locker”

Sana faced Momo to stop her from walking. Her eyes widen when she noticed the reddish bruise on the older’s face. She slowly held the bruised face. “What really happened, Momo? Please tell me.” Sana said in soft voice. Momo really can’t hide anything from Sana. Momo closed her fist remembering the encounter earlier.

“I beat them up, the bullies. They ripped your uniform and they threw it. I was mad, it was not the first time they did something bad to you. I lost my patience and this happened. I’m sorry for keeping this from you..” Momo finally said the truth.

The things the older do always had an impact on Sana. She hugged Momo tight that day. Tears rolled down her cheeks. She is touched, her heart is breaking, she promised herself that day that she will do everything for the other Japanese too, she will be fine as long as they have each other.

++

Everything’s calmed down. The dinner was prepared by Jihyo and they are sitting around the dining table outside the inn. The night is extra cold and they have changed to their sweaters and long sleeves. The whole dinner is silent. No one dared to interrupt the silence. Even Jihyo doesn’t know what to say.

Right after the dinner. Jihyo and Sana went straight to their rooms. Sana feels extra tired today because of the emotional exhaustion earlier.

Mina saw Momo alone at the chair in front of the shore. She approached her.

“Momo, can we take a walk?”

Momo just nodded and stood up. Both hands in her hoodies’ pocket, she walked beside Mina who is deep in her thoughts. She knew Mina would like to talk about the situation earlier. She hasn’t spoken to the younger after her near death experience. She hasn’t talked nor thanked Sana either. She’s staring down the fine sand leaving their footprints. Suddenly, she felt a warm hand wrapped on hers inside her pocket, she looked up. Mina is still looking forward with unreadable expression on her face. They continue walking holding hands inside her pocket. She felt the hold tighten and Mina started to talk.

“Why did you do that? Why did you save me? You know you can’t swim; you know you’re risking your life”

“I don’t know either” Momo honestly said. “When I saw you asking for help, my body just brought me to where you are, my mind stopped functioning” she quietly chuckled.

“I will never forgive myself if something bad happens to you…”

Momo stopped walking and faced Mina. She removed her hands inside her pocket, still holding the younger. Mina’s eyes are shining under the clear moonlight, a bit puffy, at the verge of tears.

“No Mina, it’s not your fault. It was my own choice. If I didn’t do anything, something might happen to you. I’m afraid I’m too late, I’m afraid to lose you” Momo held both of her hands. Mina can see the sincerity in Momo’s eyes. She’s melting under her gaze. She’s grateful for Momo for everything. She released her hands from Momo and give her tight hug. Breathing slowly, her body melting into the arms of the older. Momo’s lost for words suddenly. This moment is too precious no words can even describe. Her heart is beating loud and she’s afraid Mina can hear them. She felt soft lips gently landed on her cheek making her knees weak. Mina kissed her cheeks. It was warm. When Mina pulled herself from Momo slowly their eyes meet, her arms still around the older’s neck.

Mina looked at her with deep eyes like memorizing every detail of her face. Mina remembered what Jihyo told her about Momo’s circumstances. How can Momo be so kind when the world isn’t kind to her? How can she be so dependable when she doesn’t have anyone to depend on to? Momo needs someone to protect her too. These thoughts are running on Mina’s mind since the talked with JIhyo.

“Momo.. you can depend on me too.” She told Momo looking straight to her eyes. Those words mean a lot to Momo. Her tears are threatening to spill from her eyes. But she held it in, instead she gave her a smile. “Thank you, Mina”

++

Upon arriving to the inn, she went to Sana’s and Jihyo’s room. Jihyo is still awake, and Sana’s already lying in her bed. She sat in the bed beside Sana and Jihyo went outside to give them space.

“Sana..  are you sleeping?” Sana’s back is facing Momo. No answer.

“If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be here. And I am sorry, for making you worry, for almost breaking our promise” she continued even though the younger is sleeping. She leaned and kissed her head. “Goodnight, Satang”

Sana heard the door closed, and tears fell from her eyes. Her hand clutching the bed sheet and the other is cupped in to block the sound of her crying.

 

++

 It was a fine weather the next morning. Mina is feeling better today. They are going to try other activities as planned. Mina looked stunning in her white button up shirt and denim shorts while Momo is wearing a plain T-shirt and skinny jeans. The group went outside and head to their first destination, the tangerine farm.

Momo noticed her best friend is feeling under the weather.

“Satang? Are you okay? You looked pale.”

“I-I feel a bit ill. I just need some rest then I’ll be okay. You can go without me; I’ll just wait for you here” Sana said. Actually she hasn’t slept at all. She just cried all night.

Momo was worried. She couldn’t leave Sana alone like that. Jihyo saw the hesitation on Momo so she offered to look over Sana for the day and the two can proceed to their planned destination. She was relieved a bit and promised Jihyo that she’ll bring some souvenirs for them.

++

The two rode the bus seated next to each other. The ride to the tangerine farm is quite long. Momo felt Mina’s head leaned on her shoulders, the girl fell asleep. It feels right. She slid her hand on the younger’s head to support them from falling. She took a glimpse of the beautiful features of her face. Her eyes landed on the parted lips and she felt her cheeks burning remembering the sudden action of Mina last night.

An hour and a half has passed and they arrived at the massive and breathtaking scenery. An old lady approached them at the entrance and accompany them at the booth.

“You should try the couple’s package” the old lady said, pointing the brochure.

“N-no we’re not – “ Momo quickly denied.

“Yes, we’ll try that” Mina cut Momo and smiled to the old lady. She wrapped her arms around Momo’s arm.

She couldn’t move, she can’t breathe. She can feel her heart pounding in her chest. Mina is not helping at all.

The younger looked at Momo and gave her a warm smile like she’s pulling the strings of her heart and it’s beating uncontrollably.

 

++

They were given a basket and they head inside to pick tangerines. She can see the sparkle in Mina’s eyes while beholding the massive farm and the striking color of tangerines around them. The smell of tangerine is everywhere. Mina picked one and peeled it. She feeds Momo and the older opened .

“They are sweet.” Momo happily said, scrunching her nose. Mina giggled showing her gummy smile. She ate and feed again the older. Momo feels like she’s one step closer to Mina.

They managed to fill the basket full of tangerines. They packed the oranges as souvenir to Sana and Jihyo. They bid goodbye to the old lady and gave them a piece of advice.

“The secret of a strong and happy relationship is trust, I can see that you are really happy together, I wish you both happiness”

“Thank you, grandma” Mina bowed and Momo did the same. What the old lady said is true, except that they are a couple. They went to their next destination which is hot air balloon adventure. Momo has fear of heights but she has to be brave because of Mina, she couldn’t show she’s freaking out inside.

There were plenty of tourists in the venue. And large hot air balloons are lined up to be occupied. Mina is very excited to ride one. She’s afraid too but she’s more excited to try new things.

They entered one of the hot air balloon, there is a pilot on each of the balloon. Mina noticed that Momo became silent all of a sudden. She’s sweating and her hands are gripping hard on the balloon’s harness. She closed her eyes when she felt they are no longer at the ground.

“Momo, are you afraid of heights?” Mina asked

“I’m o-okay” Momo said. Mina can easily read Momo. She looked so nervous and pale.

“Open your eyes and look at me” Mina gently said. Momo complied and slowly open her eyes, she saw perfection. Mina’s face is beaming. Her dark brown hair is swaying perfectly, and Momo couldn’t help but to stare at the younger. She can hear her pounding chest, not because of the fear, but because of their closeness. Mina is leaning closer. Her mind suddenly went blank when the she saw the younger closed her eyes.

Mina felt the urge to do something at this moment, to comfort Momo, but also herself. In a moment she pressed her lips against the older. It lasted for a few seconds, the older returned the kiss gently, lips slightly parted. They pulled apart and take shaky shallow breaths.

“Am I allowed to do this?” Momo said almost sounded like a whisper. Mina doesn’t say a word. They just stared deep into each other’s eyes. Momo’s eyes are full of love and Mina’s full of curiosity, like wanting to confirm something. Momo tilted her head and leaned in for another kiss, this time, more passionate, Mina is surprised to find her own lips parted, their breaths mingled. Mina is not really sure what she and Momo have. This fluttering feeling inside her chest she could not describe. It feels right. It feels dangerous. Among these mix-ups inside her head, one thing is certain, she doesn’t want to lose Momo or she might lose herself.

 

++

 

A/N: I could not proof read this chapter because I am sleepy. Sorry if there are errors. I’ll try to fix them next time. For the meantime. Enjoy! And thank you for the support. I really appreciate your comments. It makes me want to work harder.