Chapter 01

1,2,3

It was late in the afternoon; the wind breeze is getting cooler in the mid of September. Signs of the cold season is apparent, and people are getting busier in the streets of Seoul. Momo, in her bomber jacket and white inner shirt and black skinny jeans, is running and bumping every person in the stairs of the subway station catching the train. If it weren’t for the sudden text message she received a while ago, she would have been in her dance class until 8pm. But things aren’t the way she expected it to be now. She needs to be in Incheon Airport at this moment. It was a nerve-racking train ride. How she wished it could go faster than it was. She run as fast as she can while looking around the airport. She felt helpless. She stopped and grips her knees while catching her breath. Then she looked forward still in her position. Then her time stopped. All things blurred except for the person in line of her sight. She counts.

One, the girl in front of her is astoundingly beautiful

Two, she’s been hopelessly in love with her.

Three, she’s Myoui Mina. And she’s crying right now.

There’s a sudden tug in her heart upon the sight of Mina. Slow steps towards the girl seems heavy. The crying girl is sitting in one of the benches in the waiting area inside the airport. She looks broken. Momo could not understand the situation right now. But she managed to approach the girl and pulled her to a tight hug, wishing it could comfort the weeping beauty in her arms. But she feels her shoulder is soaked with tears, but she doesn’t care. She lifts her arm to Mina’s long black hair. She felt Mina’s arm clutching on her shirt gripping tightly. The she pushed Mina slowly to look into her face and placed her thumb on her cheeks to wipe her tears.

“Let’s go somewhere” Momo decided suddenly. Mina just stood weakly with Momo still clutching on Momo’s shirt.

They rode the cab but there is a fleeting silence. Mina is staring outside, her palms propped in her chin. Her wet eyes are sparkling and a hint of tears falling. Momo is just spectating the woman beside her. No words would come out from to break this comfortable silence.

They arrived at the Han River. They settled in the side and sit comfortable together. Mina’s still not talking. Momo went in the near convenience store to buy take out foods. And upon returning, Mina is still sitting there, with the same exact position before she left.

“Here, I bought some food, I’m sorry but this is the only thing available nearby. If you want – “

“It’s okay.. Thank you, Momo”

And she started to eat. There’s this momentary silence again, one which is not uncomfortable but more like accepting. Momo would take a few little glances at Mina occasionally. She wanted to ask if the younger is feeling better or if she wanted to go home. But Momo likes it better if they stayed like this longer for she wanted to be with her more. It is not like everyday she’s with Mina, actually, they haven’t seen each other almost a week. She’s been busy with studies and so is Mina. She’s been occupied with thoughts until Mina broke the silence.

“Thanks Momo for being here.. If it weren’t for you, I don’t know what to do..”

It was already dark and people were little by little gone, like they were the only ones that exists, it was a perfect scene for two people if only they are sharing mutual feelings. But Momo clearly knows that’s not the case. She shifts her hands and placed it at the top of Mina’s weak and trembling hands. She’s sure the younger is still feeling miserable which is evident in her puffy eyes. She gives them a light squeeze as if assuring something.

”I will stay with you as long as you want me to” Momo bravely conveys.

A weak smile manifest in the younger. Mina has a habit of contacting Momo when things were difficult for her. She knows Momo will come when she needs someone. She’s like the closest friend she has. And it was unfair to Momo if she wouldn’t tell her about what really happened, so she opened up even though it will be like reopening the wound that has devastated her a while ago. The wound in her heart that was caused by the departure of her beloved, Jeongyeon. Maybe it will feel better if she let it all out.

“Jeongyeon left me.. (a pause), she’s transferred to a University in London.. to pursue her parent’s dream and t-to eventually marry Nayeon, her fiancé”

Momo was listening sincerely, with furrowed brow, but she stays calm trying to absorb all these mess Jeongyeon left.

“I tried to stop her, but she just pushed me away.. she’s decided, maybe she’s just chosen what’s best for her.. maybe I don’t deserve her Momo”

Momo has heard it before from Jeongyeon that her parents are arranging this marriage thing with Nayeon but Jeongyeon said that she would never agree on that. She believed on what Jeongyeon said. She wouldn’t let Mina in this mess if she had known that Jeongyeon would betray Mina like that. She could have saved Mina from this heartbreak, in this emotional chaos. Mina’s too kind, pure, and innocent, this world doesn’t deserve her, Momo thinks. Momo has stayed strong, at this moment at least, so Mina can depend on her.

“It is not your fault Mina, it was never your fault. You deserve to be happy, I’m still here, I will never leave at least” Momo said with warm smile and her hands still holding into the frail Mina.

Mina rested her head onto the edge of Momo’s shoulders. A sign of gratitude, maybe. Mina’s first love didn’t last long but it hurts, it takes a toll on Mina because she trusted Jeongyeon. Jeongyeon is a fun and warm person. She makes sure that Mina’s always wearing that gummy smile when they are together. She’s been the source of Mina’s smiles for these past few months. Eight months to be exact. It’s been eight months since they shared this mutual feeling. It’s been also eight months of Momo’s hidden feelings for Mina and her quiet suffering.

++

The ride to Mina’s dorm is peaceful. Momo bid goodbye with a weak smile and worried eyes. Mina respond with slight bow and head inside.

Momo reaches for her mobile phone and texted Mina.

MM: Don’t think too much. Everything will be fine. Goodnight.

MN: I’ll try Momo. Thank you for today. Keep safe and text me when you get home. It’s late

Momo smiled with the simple message from the younger. It always warms her heart. She keeps her phone in her pocket. She went straight to her apartment which she shared with Sana, a childhood friend.

++