Chapter 9

Elements (jenlisa)

Jennie's POV

I wake up to silence. I groan, the sound breaks through the quiet atmosphere; it shatters like a broken mirror. Sun streams in from a window near the door, it creates patterns of light on the ground. I blink my eyes open slowly, my vision contorts from the sleep in my eyes. I inhale loudly and roll to my side, luckily I didn't fall off the bed like I did this morning. I rub my eyes with balled fists and my eyes go into focus.

"Why are you here?" Says a soft voice from across the room. I turn my head, a girl with bright blonde hair that tumbles onto her white blanket lays on the once empty bed.

"Um," I say, my voice raspy from sleep. "Boating accident."

"Mmm," She says, her head facing the ceiling. "You okay?"

"Yeah?" I answer, my words come out more like a question. "What's your name?"

"Momo," the girl replies simply, her eyes not leaving the ceiling. "And yours?"

"Jennie." I say quietly, sitting up on the backboard of the bed. "Why are you here?"

"Fell off the climbing wall." the blonde answers, she chuckles lightly at herself. "Stupid guy below didn't catch me, he ran away when I lost my grip." She turns her gaze towards me, my breath catches in my throat. The side of her face is completely torn up, dried blood covers some parts of it. I can already see bruising under her almost black eyes, they weren't warm like Lisa's. Indents in her skin show where the scars would form, she smiles gently at me.

"Hey," she says, my attention snaps back to her. "You think that's bad, wait till you see my arm." She chuckles again, shaking her head lightly.

"D-did you break any bones?" I ask, completely shaken by the blonde's positive attitude.

"Nah," She shrugs it off, shooting me a smirk. "My bones are as hard as steel. It'll never happen."

Momo sits up, the blanket slightly curves down around her upper torso, the torn skin of her arms shows from beneath the covers. Her arm is completely ripped up, dirt smudges the only clear skin left. Deep cuts still glitter with fresh blood, my eyes scan her arm. My eyes land on her hand, her ring finger on her right hand is half gone. It looks like it happened a while ago but still, I can't help but gape at it.

"Y-your finger.." I stutter, Momo furrows her eyebrows and lifts her hand. Her eyebrows mold back into their regular shape and she smiles.

"Yeah, when I was twelve I got into a fight with a snake." She huffs, obviously still mad at the snake. "It was bugging me so I threw my shoe at it. When I went to grab my shoe, it bite half my finger off."

"Mmm," I reply, that sound being the only thing I'm able to say. I quickly become curious about her fall from the wall. "Do you— um, do you have any other scratches from your fall?"

Momo nods, a smile creeping onto her lips. "Yeah, I do, actually. But, not anywhere I'd show you. Take me out on a date first, jeez."

"Wait," I ask, running the words she just spoke through my mind. "Your gay?"

Momo laughs, she shakes her head. "No," she answers between chuckles. "I'm whatever."

"Whatever?" I question, my eyebrows furrowing.

"Yeah, I just am. You know?" She suggests, I shake my head but she doesn't add on. I sigh when she turns to face the ceiling again.

A few beats of silence pass in the small room, I begin to wonder if the blonde is still awake. My mind quickly jumps to Lisa, where is she? I sort of hope she will come and visit me, but I don't think Rose will let her. I don't know why I feel these.. things.. for Lisa, I've never, ever, liked any other girl like I like Lisa. But the way her hairs gently flows in the wind, the way her warm eyes fill my heart with warmth, it must mean I like her. Although I'm never telling her, never, ever telling her. It could or would ruin our friendship, if that's what you'd call it. Maybe, one day, I'll hold her hand. But that's it.

"There is something strange about this camp." Momo randomly comments, interrupting my thoughts and bring me back to earth.

"What?" I ask, slightly in a daze; my thoughts still swirling around me like flies.

"Something is wrong with this camp." She repeats, my eyes connect with hers. "I didn't 'fall' off the climbing wall, It felt like I was pushed. When I was falling backwards, I felt a thumb press again my belt; unbuckling my harness. The sky turned an ugly gray color, then the guy below ran away."

"Really?" I question, not believing that she had almost the same interactions with invisible people as I did in the lake.

I notice Momo's face fall, "Oh, you don't believe me. Do you?" She asks, pulling the blanket off her completely; she wads it up and throws it across the nurse cabin.

"No!" I yell, Momo's eyes met mine again. "I totally believe you, the same the happened to me in the lake. The atmosphere turned gray and my boat was flipped over by a force of nature. Then, once I reached the top of the lake, I was dragged back into the water. I kicked the figure and it subsided, I'm lucky I'm alive."

"Well," She answers, completely ignoring my story. She stands up. "Want to get out of here?"

The bondle looks at me, her eyes cold and troubled. She wears a simple leather jacket, it's white but it's outlined with black. She wears dark jeans, and blue converse. Her light hair tumbles down to under her , it has streaks of brown in it; all coming from her roots.

"Wait, we can leave whenever?" I ask, tossing my blanket off as well. My eyes connect with my ankle, it's heavily bandaged. I wince in pain when I go to move it to the ground.

"Nah," Momo says, popping her collar out. "But the nurse lady told me that I could leave whenever, I'm taking you hostage."

"Okay?" I reply, setting my foot on the ground. It actually doesn't feel that bad after all, I wiggle it slightly then grin. No pain.

"You ready to bust out of here?" Momo asks me, I nod and put my other foot on the ground. She smiles and opens the door quietly. Cold air hits me as the door swings open completely, I shiver.

"What time is it?" I question. She shrugs and runs out into the forest, I follow close behind; my ankle starts to throb.

We find the trail back to the great lawn, it's dusty; dustier than the path to my cabin, and that's saying something. The screeches of owls sound in the still air. The atmosphere turns cold, I shudder, I look to Momo for guidance. She stops dead in her tracks, she panting. Out of the corner of my eye, I see dark blobs of air. I whip my head towards them, they're gone.

"Last name?" She whispers to me.

"Kim." I reply, whispering in her ear.

"Mines Hirai," She adds, I nod and she starts to move slowly up the trail.

"What's wrong?" I ask, following behind her.

"Something is wrong, Kim." She tells me, I nod but continue to follow her mindlessly. She might be crazy but I trust her. She stops walking again, I follow suit. I feel her move her arm in front of my chest, I glance down at the ground; her leg muscles are flexed like they are getting ready to run.

"They're here." The blonde whispers, my heart starts to hammer against my rib cage. "Get ready to run."

"One problem," I whisper back, my ears prickle to the sounds of grunting; the same sounds I heard near the Drown Hut. "I can't run."

"Try your best." She instructs me, I just nod.

She bolts off the trail and into the brush of the dark forest. I follow quickly, my ankle stiffens in pain but I continue to chase after Momo. For a moment, all I can hear is the blood roaring in my ears like waves on the beach. Then the sound of eerie silence settles over everything for one brief second, the screaming sound of laughter echoes throughout the forest. I hear cracking behind me, sticks are being broken.

"Momo!" I yell, my ankle threatening to give out. "I can't run!"

"Jump on my back!" Momo shouts back, she slows slightly and I hop up onto her back. She wraps her arms around my legs, we move faster together.

Something whizzes past my head, I feel a sharp pain slice through my cheek. I tremble in agony, I can't bear how much pain I've been in the last day. It's unbelievable. I hold onto Momo tighter, trying to imagine being anywhere else except here. Another object speeds past us, this time the blonde grunts in pain but she just runs faster. We break into the clearing, and topple onto the great lawn; catching our breath. Even though I didn't really run, I still feel really tired.

"Kim," She says, sitting up from the grass. "You can't talk about that, about them."

"Why?" I ask, tracing my finger over the cut in my cheek. I remove my finger, blood drips off it.

"The more you talk about them, the more will come." Momo warns me, I sit up as well.

"What do you mean 'them'?" I question, not completely what just happened."

'They' run this camp. 'They' will own you. Stay away from the forest, it's not safe for you or anyone for that matter." She says, I shiver again; the word 'they' shoots right through me.

"But my cabin is in the forest," I explain, Momo's facial expressions turn horror filled.

"Cabin 13?" She asks, I nod. She let out a small scream, running her fingers into her hair. "No, it can't be.."

"What can't be?" I ask, now I'm just really confused.

"Kim," Momo says sternly, standing up and brushing her thighs off, I glance at her ring finger; it throws me off every time. "If you need anything, hit me up at Cabin 8." And with that, she sprints towards the forest.

"Crazy girl," I mutter to myself, standing up and shaking slightly. "She doesn't even follow her own instructions."

I glance up at the sky, it has grown a vibrant blue. Must be lunchtime. I shake my leg gently, my ankle is basically cursing at me. I glare at it. I start to hobble over to the mess hall, keeping my injured leg behind me at all times. I feel my hand float back up to my cheek, it traces over the now scabbed over cut. What if people ask about it? If they do, I'll tell them some cool story that never happened.

I push the doors open to lunch, the sound of chatter hits me. I feel my heart speeding up again, I don't know why. All eyes turn towards me, the whole room grows still and quiet. Then the whispering begins, I spot a sudden movement over near the kitchen. It's my table group, Rose waves to me. She then nudges a sleeping figure with her elbow. The figure jolts up, it glances around. I start to move closer, the figure's face comes into focus. It's Lisa, once her eyes met mine her face lights up.

"Jennie!" Lisa beams, jumping up from her seat wobbly; almost tripping over herself twice. She wraps her arms around me tightly, I smile and hug back. I can feel the hue rise to my cheeks again, turning them a crimson color. Rose chuckles, I glare at her.

"See," Rose says, flailing her spoon around. "What did I tell you?"

"Are you okay?" Lisa asks, letting go of me and looking at my face. Her eyes land on the scratch on my cheek, she gasps. "Jennie! Your cheek!"

"Yeah," I sigh, sitting down. She plops next to me. Everyone at my table leans in to look at my cut. "I know."

"What happened?" Jisoo questions, her hazel eyes shine with protection.

"I—," I stutter, catching my breath. "I'm not sure."

That's not completely a lie, at least, I don't think it is.

...

A/N:  mood

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f7572765a537a6556536f78664c773d3d2d3633373634383435362e313535393961653261663631323838363335333634393539353332302e6a7067