Chapter 3

Elements (jenlisa)

Jennie's POV

The girls and I are walking down the trail to the main grass field, my feet kicking up dust as we walk. Yeri seems nervous, she keep glancing around, like everything she sees is going to attack her. I wander over to her side, I place my hand on her shoulder, she jumps in fright. I laugh slightly, she frowns.

"That wasn't funny." Yeri says, crossing her arms. Rose and Lisa are talking in front of us and Jisoo is trying to memorize the pathway by staring intently at it with her hands folded in front of her.

"Hey," I take my hand off her shoulder and put both of them in the air in surrender. "I wasn't trying to be funny." I runs my fingers through my hair, I then set my arms at my side, loosely.

Rose leans back, looking at us. "Nobody tries to be funny, but you can't help it with that face." She comments. Jisoo looks up from the path and covers ; stifling a laugh. I roll my eyes and turn back towards Yeri.

"Anyway," I say abruptly, throwing a playful glare at Rose. She grins. "I noticed you were on edge. You okay?" I ask Yeri.

Yeri nods, she smiles slightly and took a breath. "Yeah, I'm good. I've just.." her voice trails off as she stares into space. But as soon as she started, she stops and continues talking. "I've just heard stories."

"Stories?" I ask, completely aware of the confusion plastered on my face.

"Yeah, but I'm sure it's nothing." Yeri brushes it off. She then notices Jisoo walking alone and hurries over to her.

I stroll alone for a few seconds before a dark blur rushes past me and to my side. I whip my head towards the thing that just rushed past me, my heart beating quickly. Relief floods through my veins when my eyes land on Lisa. She grins at me, I return the smile.

"Hi, Jennie." She says, lifting her eyes to met mine. Her orbs are so inviting, they remind me of autumn and winter combined. I want to stare into them forever; I quickly shake that thought from my mind and smile. I couldn't possibly want to stare at something my whole life, could I?

"Hey, Lisa." I respond, she smiles again.

"Have you ever been to this camp before?" She asks.

I shake my head. "No, I haven't. Have you?" I question, suddenly curious.

"No," Lisa admits, shrugging. "I haven't."

"Same." Rose comments.

I look over to her.  She shrugs and continues to walk like nothing happened. I chuckle to myself.

"Hey," Jisoo says, walking over to us. "Do you guys know where we're going?"

"Yeah," Rose adds, she scoffs, scratching her arm gently.  "Of course. We're going to the mess hall for dinner."

"But where is the mess hall?" Jisoo asks, Rose stops dead in her tracks.

Yeri pads up behind her.  "It's up the hill to the left then down the second trail to the right. Come on, I'll show you." She says.

I glance at Lisa who shrugs then at Rose who also shrugs. Jisoo is already following Yeri.

I sneak up to Yeri. I see out of the corner of my eye Lisa looking at me. I feel my cheeks start to burn. This is not a good sign. I place my hand on Yeri's shoulder to notify her that I'm next to her. 

"So, you've been here before?" I ask her.

"Yes, but I was very young. I still remember I was in cabin four." She admits, I nod; showing her that I'm paying attention.

"But, I had to leave early. The camp was kicking everyone out, no one really knows why. It was never announced to the public but everyone has their theories." She says.

"What kind of theories?" I ask, being interesting in the ominous things Yeri has been saying.

"Bad ones," She shudders. "I'd rather not say."

"Like," I implore, Yeri casts me a glance but allows me to continue. "Bad sprits?"

She quickly nods and starts to guide us up the hill, I fall behind and Jisoo takes my spot next to Yeri. She seems like a bundle of sunshine but she seems afraid of what could lurk here. It's probably nothing.

I walk alone for a while. My mind racing to keep up with my thoughts. When I got here, nothing seemed scary or spooky except the weird noises walking to my cabin. Why does everything feel like a threat now? I abandon the thought and continue to follow Yeri up the steep, grassy hill. It's beautiful day, not one cloud in the sky; but the air has that chill to it, the wind has that scream to it, the trees have a sway to them. Nothing seems friendly. I abandon this thought as well.

I suddenly feel hands grip my shoulders and pull me backwards into a surface. "Boo!" Someone yells. I jump in fright. Melodic laughter follows my jump. It's Lisa. I am quickly aware that the surface I bumped into was Lisa's torso; I pull away. When I pull away, she lets go of my shoulders and we walk at a normal pace together.

"Did I scare you?" She asks.

"What?" I say, playing it off. "Nah, you didn't."

Lisa starts to pout. She lets her arms fall to her sides and her lower lip turns down. I try not to stare for too long at it.

"Jennie!" She complains.

"What?" I ask, lifting my eyes and smiling slightly.

"Stop lying!"

"Fine!" I groan, my words breathy. She grins at my sarcasm.

I noticed a tall cabin-like building. It has posts in front of its double doors. The walls are made the same way the cabin walls are. It must be the mess hall. I then notice a sign stuck in the dirt that says 'Dining Cabin' in engraved letters. Yep, it's the mess hall. Jisoo pushes the doors open. Inside is rows and rows of wooden picnic tables. Each one has a number sticking up on it. I count the tables until my eyes reach 13. Our table is at the very back, near the kitchen windows.

My cabin mates and I move over to our table. I sit down next to Lisa who is sitting by Rose. Jisoo and Yeri sit on the other side of the table. A tall man with thinning gray hair walks out of the kitchen. He has wire glasses perched on the end of his nose. I really want to go up to him and push them up.

"Who's ready to feast?" The man yells. Everyone in the mess hall cheers.

The summer might not be so bad after all.

...