Chapter 12

Elements (jenlisa)

Jennie's POV

I look up at the dim sky, and I breath in deeply. The smell of grass and ferns rushes into my nostrils, I smile. After dinner, Rose and I grabbed our jackets from our cabin, everyone else claimed they were fine. I think they're crazy. I sit on the grass, I pull the jacket around my torso tighter. Lisa sits next to me, Rose next to Jisoo and Yeri by Jisoo. We form a circle. I glance around at everyone, they're all doing the same thing as us. Waiting. For what you may ask, they don't know. I don't know either. Tonight feels right, everything feels right. I can feel it in my heart.

"Jennie," Rose taps my knee, I snap out of my thoughts and look towards her. "Look what I made at the wood carver." She pulls a large wooden 'J' out of her jacket pocket. "It's for Jenlisa." I hear Lisa scoff from beside me, my heart drops slightly. Why did one scoff feel so painful?

"Hey," Jisoo pipes in, grabbing a tall wooden 'L' from her pants pocket. "It's for 'Lisanne'."

"Wait, hold up, Jennie, give me your heart." Rose tells me, putting her hand out flat in front of me. I chuckle at how it may sound to other people, they don't understand.

I roll my eyes and reluctantly give my wooden heart over, I set it in the middle of her palm. Rose grins then puts the heart in the middle of the 'J' and the 'L'. Jisoo grins and Yeri laughs softly.

"Wow," I comment, snatching my heart back. "Thanks."

"Anytime, Jen," Rose grins at me, tucking the wooden 'J' back into her pocket.

The nickname hits me, I smile fondly.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Lisa smile. I feel her hand fall onto my knee, she grips it tightly. My breath catches in my throat, I pass it off with a casual cough. I fight the urge to place my hand on her hand. Jisoo squeezes the 'L' back into her pants pocket.

"I still can't believe you guys ship us, we've only know each other for about two days." The blonde beauty suddenly says, laughing softly.

"It doesn't matter how long you've been with someone, Liz," Rose states, pounding her closed fist on her knee. "But how long that person will be with you." She casts a gaze towards Jisoo, who smiles. Lisa and I both glance knowing smiles at each other.

Maybe it was because of the moment, or maybe because of Rose's words; but I place my hand nimbly on Lisa's. Her hand is warm compared to my cold one, I let my hand relax and my fingers mold between her's. I don't care about the glances or sly smiles our friends are sharing, all that matters is her. Then it hits me, if we are only on day two, imagine day sixteen or even day nine! We connect eyes, mine dart to her lips; so pink and so pump. I shiver. I'm out of my mind, aren't I?

"Look!" I hear an unfamiliar voice exclaim from the distance. Everyone looks up at the sky; including me. Tiny dots of light speckle the dark sky, they make the whole atmosphere light up with happiness. I smile at them, they seem to smile back. I feel a spark between Lisa's hand and my hand, I glance down at them. She must of noticed my staring because she lifts my head with her thumb, like Momo did, we connect eyes. I grin, not being able to deny the raw emotion between us.

Her hand falls and I look in front of me, Jisoo has her head on Rose's shoulder. I smile at them, Yeri is also looking at them; we share smiles. I move my hand off Lisa's, I hear a faint sigh from the blonde. I continue to slide my fingers under her hand, she notices what I'm doing and lifts her palm. I place my hand under her's, we interlock fingers. I let our hands slide into my lap, pulling Lisa closer. She lays her head on my shoulder, the top of her head nuzzling against my neck. I relax my head against her's, I want to live in this moment forever.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Jisoo asks Yeri, who just nods; they stare at the sky with complex eyes.

"Yeah," I exhale under my breath, gazing at Lisa's calm face. I don't think anyone heard me, but I want the whole world to hear me.

After a while, I hear faint snoring. Lisa's head falls further into my neck, I laugh softly, not wanting to wake her. Jisoo and Rose are both laying down, pointing at the sky. They are cute together, what would their ship name be? Eh, I'll ask Yeri tomorrow. I start to peel Lisa off my shoulder when I hear my name being called, well, my last name. My head whips around, looking for Momo. She's the only one who really calls me 'Kim'. Momo is no where in sight, I shiver then shake my head slightly. I continue to move Lisa off me, she flops over and falls onto her back. I grimace, hoping I didn't wake her.

"Good going, Jennie," Yeri whispers to me, I roll my eyes at the shorter girl. She grins and then looks back it at the sky; her eyes reflecting the moonlight.

I get on my knees, slipping off my jacket. I then lift Lisa's torso up, I lean it against my chest. I wrap my jacket around her, her fingers move up to the zipper seams and curl around it. I smile to myself. I move her into my lap, with my legs criss-cross applesauce; whatever that means. Her whole body is now supported by my torso. I dangle my arms around her waist, I feel her head move inwards towards my neck. She smiles against my skin. My heartbeat quickens. I rest my chin on top of her head. Right now is perfect.

"These past two days have been the best summer days ever." Yeri shares with me, scooting closer.

"I know," I reply. Yeri's eyes dart to Lisa then back up to me.

"Do you have feelings for her?" She asks, leaning back against her extended arms.

"Promise you won't tell Rose?" I whisper to her, she nods.

"I won't tell a soul," She promises, I smile.

"Okay," I breath in deeply, I feel Lisa stir but then quickly relax again. "Yes, I like Lisa."

"I knew it," Yeri grins ear to ear, I shake my head while laughing at her.

I quickly remember Momo and her words. They echo fresh in my mind, like haunting memories. Was she kidding? She can't really get a weird vibe from Lisa, definitely not the Lisa I know. Lisa is so.. incredible. Her laugh sounds like angels singing, her smile is like a halo, and she radiates with joy. What's wrong with that? Another thought hammers itself into my head, what if it's because of what she sees while underwater? What if I took her to the lake and made her do it? What would she see? And would she even tell me what she saw? What if she really knows everything? I shake my head and lift my head to stare the stars.

"Campers," a cheery, familiar voice yells from a speaker. It's Wendy's voice, I groan with loathing. "It's 8:45, time to head to your cabin!"

The great lawn erupts with groans and bickering, I feel Lisa's soft fingers on my collar. She grasps at it, I feel as if she's having a nightmare. I stand up, Lisa still in my arms. I hold her. Yeri helps me. She's not as heavy as I thought she'd be.

"Jennie," I hear her murmur, I swallow thickly, trying to keep my heartbeat from exploding. "Stay.."

Stay? Why is she telling me to stay? What is she dreaming about? I shake to clear my head, apparently, I think my brain is an etch-o-sketch. I walk behind Rose and Jisoo, they are holding hands. I think something happened between them that I missed. I'm just glad Rose hasn't teased me about Lisa yet. But I can feel it coming.

My cabin mates and I walk down out trail. Tonight I hear no grunts or groaning. It's like the whole forest is sleeping. The sky is the darkest I've ever seen it, the stars stick out like a patch of dry grass in a rainstorm. The air smells sweetly of now; yes, of now. Now smells like forest, like the fish in the bay, like the owls at night. But most importantly, now smells like Lisa. Her amazing scent lingers in my nostrils, I inhale deeply.

Rose pushes the cabin door open, we walk in. The floorboard doesn't creak as we gently step on it. I hesitatingly glance at Lisa, she looks so peaceful. I don't want to wake her, but she needs her pajamas. I cast a gaze at Rose who just nods. She walks over and ruffles around in Lisa's bag, she pulls out sweatpants and a tank top.

"A tank top?" I whisper to Rose. "She'll freeze to death!

"Rose shrugs helplessly, "It's all I could find, and I don't want to destroy her bag completely either."

I groan quietly, I then plop Lisa in Rose's arms. I bend over to my bag, I pull out a black sweatshirt with the words 'stay weird' printed on it in bold, upside down, white letters. I turn around, Rose has Lisa sprawled out on the ground. She already has her pants changed into sweats. She is now trying to get the tank top on. I try not the stare at Lisa's almost top half as I walk to Rose.

"Jennie," Rose whispers to me. I can barely see her face now due to the darkness of the night, "Lift her up."

I grip under Lisa's shoulders, praying that my cold hands don't wake her. Imagine waking up and being half with your two friends in a summer camp cabin. Yikes. I lift her torso off the floorboard, Rose rushes over and slips the blue tank top on. Rose and I trade places, I then slip the sweatshirt over her tank top. I then get to my knees, Rose places Lisa on my back. She flops around when I stand up, Rose holds her in place. I have no idea how this girl is still sleeping.

I climb up the ladder to her bunk, Rose and I both lay her down. She curls into a ball and whispers into the silent air, "Jennie.." I can feel Rose smirk and the hue rush to my cheeks.

"Do you think she will be warm enough?" Rose asks me, I shake my head.

I climb back down and my suitcase again, I grab an extra yellow blanket from the depths of it. I glance around the cabin before climbing back up the ladder. Yeri and Jisoo are already in bed, they are probably sleeping. They're missing one hell of a show.

Rose sees me and we nod at each other agreement. She slides down the ladder and wanders to her bunk to get changed. I climb the ladder and drape the blanket over Lisa. A faint smile appears on her face, I kiss her forehead and whisper, "Goodnight, Lili." An idea pops into my head.

I sneak down the ladder and over to Rose's bunk, she left her jacket next to the bedside. I bend over and grab the wooden 'J' out of it. I then tip-toe over to Jisoo's bunk, the wooden 'L' is laying on one of the ladder steps. I take it and grab the heart out of my jacket. I slip over to the window closest to the door, the one we will all see. I stand the 'J' up first then the heart I carved and finally the 'L'. I step away, admiring my work. Now everyone will know that 'J' hearts 'L', but no one will know who put it there.

I creep back to my bed and slip my clothes off. I put my pajamas on from last night, I fall onto my bed. I nestle underneath my blankets, my fingers clasped together near my head. I breath slowly, my mind floats to thoughts of Lisa and tomorrow.

I'm starting to really like her.

...