Chapter 8

Elements (jenlisa)

Jennie's POV

"So what happened, Jennie?" The nurse, Joy, asks me, tying the final knot in the cast-like bandaid before pushing her thick, black hair to the side. She smiles but I wince in pain when the skin colored healing device squeezes my wounds tightly.

I lay on a surprisingly comfortable bed in the nurses office, my leg propped on a plain white pillow. I lean against the backboard on the twin sized bed. My head is threatening to explode, I can feel my leg throbbing from underneath the bandaid, and my eyesight becomes blurry when I focus too long on something.

"Well, um," I say, trying to come up with a believable story. If I say that a hand had grabbed me and dragged me under, she wouldn't believe me. My racing mind lands on the only explainable storyline. "A cabin mate and I were boating, well, my other cabin mates were also boating but not in the same boat, anyway, we tipped over and my leg got caught on a tree branch."

Joy shoots a doubtful glance but let's my answer pass. I relax slightly when she smiles softly again, telling me that my answer is fine for right now. She stands from her small stool and walks to the other side of the office. I take this chance to look around the room. There is a huge counter on the wall, taking up most of the space. One other bed reflections mine on the opposite wall, no one is laying on it. The room smells of clean, fresh laundry; the fumes are going to my head.

My nurse returns, she has a yellow blanket in her grip. I sit up but immediately regret it, I quickly become lightheaded, "I'm not staying here over night, right?" I ask. I can hear the panic in my voice, I fight the urge to cringe at myself. I really don't want to stay here, I want to have dinner with the girls.

Joy laughs softly, she shakes her head, "No, definitely not," she reassures me, I try to not let my facial expressions show too much relief. "But you do need to take a nap."

I sigh softly, leaning back on the backboard. I slide down the board and onto the actual bed, it's warmer than the one in my cabin; probably because this place has heating. Joy lays the blanket down on me, she sets a glass of water on the stool she once sat on. I feel the hands of tiredness wrapping around me, my lips curve into a smile. Blackness takes over as I drift to sleep.

...

Lisa's POV

"Time?" I ask my best friend, Rose. She gives me an annoyed glare, then rolls her eyes.

Rose, Jisoo, Yeri and I are sitting in our cabin, on the ground; which is actually really dusty. Since we had time after tree climbing before going to yoga, which sounds really boring, we decided to come back to our cabin. During tree climbing; I fell out of the tree.. four times. Jennie is constantly on my mind, I love the way her eyes sparkle, the way she holds me when I'm scared like at the boating lake, and definitely when she talks. Her voice reminds me of meadow where the wind is swaying the cattails gently while the moon is full and fireflies twinkle in the bright darkness. But I can't get too attached, last time that happened.. Well let's just say it didn't turn out too great.

"Lisa, you asked me what time it was two minutes ago!" Rose points out, scoffing. "So, let me ask you this; what's sixteen plus two?"

"Eighteen." I reluctantly reply under my breath, glaring at her. I just want to know when Jennie will back!

"What?" Rose asks me again, cupping her ear with her hand. 

"Didn't hear you." She says, making the 'you' sound more like 'ya'.

"I said, eighteen." I answer again, glancing up at her.

"And what was the hour two minutes ago?" She question, I roll my eyes playfully.

"Twelve." I say, Rose nods.

"So what time is it?" She asks slowly, pointing to her watch.

"Chaeyoung," I exclaim, throwing my arms in the air in distress. "I'm not in kindergarten!"

"I asked what time is it?" She says again, even though she knows I now know what time it is.

I sigh abruptly, causing Jisoo and Yeri to briefly cast me a weird look. I stick my tongue out at them, they smile then restart their conversation. 

"It's twelve-si—."

"Hold up!" Rose interrupts me, staring at the clock around his wrist. 

"Add one more minute to eighteen, what is it?"

I sigh again. "Nineteen." I answer, my voice drawling out the 'ee' in 'teen'.

"Okay, now what time is it?" She asks, putting her hands in her lap.

"Twelve-nineteen." I reply, blinking slowly at my crazy best friend.

Rose grins and claps for me, I roll my eyes. "See, it wasn't that hard, was it?" She asks me. Jeez, if I have a dime for every time Rose told me 'it wasn't that hard', I'd be rich.

"Time to go!" Yeri beams, shooting up to her feet. Jisoo follows suit. I lazily get to my feet.

"But the next activity isn't until 12:25, and its 12:19." I complain. I slump over; letting my arms hang low below my waist.

"Liz, just add six to ninete—!" Rose starts.

"Shut up!" I yell at her, interrupting her. She just shrugs and leans towards Jisoo.

"Feisty," I hear Rose whisper to Jisoo. "She just wants Jennie."

"That's not true!" I protest, pushing my hands into my pockets. "I-I just want to know if she's okay, that's all."

"Yeah, 'that's all'," Rose mocks, putting the words 'that's all' in air quotations. She starts to whisper to Jisoo again, "I bet that means when she sees her again, she going to—!"

"That's enough, Rose." Yeri saves me, again. I give her a grateful smile, she grins at me and nods.

Rose groans loudly, "Fine.." She obliges reluctantly. "But just wait, you'll see."

"Yeah, you'll see like a blind person." I retort to Rose, glaring at her.

"Anyway," Yeri interrupts our fighting abruptly. "It's time to go!"

I cross my arms, Yeri opens the door and we walk out. My friends and I walk down the trail to the great lawn. Our next activity is yoga, I'm not excited. I groan mentally as I walk beside Jisoo. We reach the great lawn. A tall man with a clipboard is standing in the middle of the lawn, his hair is very minimal, but he's not bald. He scratches his head, he looks up, he approaches me.

"Lisa," He asks, lifting his eyes off my face and onto his clipboard then back onto my face. "Lisa Manoban?"

"Um," I drawl out, glancing at Rose who shrugs. "Yeah?"

"I need to talk to you." The man says, he starts to walk away, then turns back around and gestures for me to follow him.

I can tell he is a camp helper, due to his blue shirt and gray slacks. He looks tired, I can understand. I start to follow him, slowly getting closer and closer until he stops and I run into his back. I stagger back slightly, trying to recollect my balance. I half expect Jennie's arm to wrap around me, just because she always is saving me from disaster. But, she doesn't, and I fall backwards into a rocky patch of dead grass. Unlike the great lawn, which the grass there is luscious and almost as green as green can be.

"My name is John, but you can call me Mr. Legend." The man tells me, picking a pen up from the top of his board.

"Why?" I ask, standing up and brushing myself off. "What kind of thing did you do to get the name 'Legend'?"

Mr. Legend rolls his eyes, he scribbles something down on the paper on his board. "I'm not a legend, I'm John Legend." He explains, I nod while mental scolding myself. I'm not good with people. "Anyway, I need to ask you a few questions."

I gasp, excitement running through my veins. "Does this mean I get to miss yoga?" I ask, grinning from ear to ear.

Mr. Legend glances behind him, my friends are gone, he says, "uh, yeah, sure." He shakes his head, I continue to grin. "Were you with Jennie Kim when the boating incident occurred?"

My smile drops when he mentions Jennie. I grab my forearm with my opposite hand, I nod. Mr. Legend scribbles something else down. "Okay, do you remember what happened?"

I nod again, I take a deep breath, "Yeah, I do." Mr. Legend stares at me while I collect all the memories from a few hours ago. I open my mouth to speak again. "So, Jennie and I were paddling down the lake when our boat flipped over. But before the boat abandoned us, the air seemed to die. T—."

"The air seemed to.. die?" Mr. Legend repeated, his eyebrow lifted as if he doesn't believe me.

I shake my head 'yes' quickly and continue, "Then, when the boat tipped over, both of us went underwater." My speaking slows down as I remember the events. I was so afraid, after what had happened at the Drown Hut, I didn't want Jennie anywhere in the water. But at the same time, I didn't want to drown.

"Jennie saved me." I continue, looking to Mr. Legend. He furrows his eyebrows but writes something down anyway. "She wrapped her arms around me and got us to safety. I knew I was safe when I met her cat eyes, they glowed with protection. But when we got to the top, I went to—" Well, in all reality, I went to kiss her, but Mr. Legend doesn't need to know that. I was about to kiss a girl I've only known for a day, yeah, I know, crazy. "—...hug her and she was gone! One of the girls in my cabin, Yeri, got me from the water before I could go after Jennie. I was really scared, but then Jennie came out of the water and this guy took her to the nurse."

"Are you done?" Mr. Legend asks, staring at me with his dark eyes. I nod, standing on my tip-toes trying to peer at his paper.

"What did you write down?" I question, curious.

Mr. Legend skids the pen over his paper one last time, then he lifts it up and shows it to me. Written in ink were big, capital letters was the word: 'WHIPPED'. I squint my eyes at him, he laughs heartily and turns his paper over. On the other side is rows of small, cursive sentences. I can't read them completely.

"Thank you for your time, Miss Manoban." Mr. Legend bids me goodbye and strides away without another word.

I stare at him, "Wait, where do I—!" I try to call to him, he doesn't answer or even turn around. "You know what? Forget it."

I walk out from under the trees, I glance around for my friends. They are no where in sight. I groan loudly to myself. I really wish I had Rose's watch right now, but I can guess that it's about lunch time due to my stomach growling and the sun bright in the sky. I shrug and start to walk towards the mess hall. I guess I'll just wait there then since after yoga is lunch. As I pass the nurse cabin, my eyes follow it as I walk away from it. I hope Jennie is comfortable.

...

 

A/N: Sorry this chapter is slightly shorter than normal.

Thanks for reading c: