Chapter 7

Elements (jenlisa)

Jennie's POV

I stand near the edge of the lake, my eyes reflecting the crystal clear water. Sunshine beats on the surface of the liquid, glasslike water, creating lines of yellow in the lake. Wind whips at my hair, blowing it to one side of my head. I shake head slightly, running my fingers through it in attempt to calm it down. I feel a strong hand on my shoulder, I snap out of my trance and glance at the owner of the hand. It's Lisa.

"Yeri agreed to be lifeguard. Do you want to be partners?" She ask me, my face contorts into confusion.

"What?" I ask, not completely sure what she's talking about.

"There has to be one lifeguard and each person needs a partner. Yeri said she would be lifeguard because she says it too cold to get into the water, even in a boat." Lisa explains, I nod while rubbing my forearm with the pads of my fingertips; the breeze getting to me.

"So I was wondering if you wanted to be my partner?" She asks, her eyes slowly rising to mine. We connect gazes and I crack a grin unwillingly, her chocolate eyes warming my heart.

"Of course," I answer, smiling at her. She grins and her eyes dart to Rose talking to Jisoo.

Jisoo nods her head and Rose grins, Lisa smiles softly.

"I guess we had the same idea." the blonde beauty mutter softly, mostly to herself.

"What?" I question, not totally sure what she said.

She whips her head towards me, her eyes wide in panic. "Oh, nothing. I just... I just think Rose kind of likes Jisoo.

"My eyebrows furrow at her words, gears shifting in my head. "What?"

Lisa just shrugs, slipping her hands into her sweater pockets. Her hair sways gently in the wind, now that it has breeze has calmed down. "Rose normally gets these weird,— not that liking who you want is weird,— small crushes on people she thinks are nice. It will probably disappear within a few days." She tells me, her gaze still on mine.

"Are you and Rose, like.." I start to ask but my voice trails off when Lisa shakes her head and laughs softly.

"No," she reassures me, laughing. "Definitely not. No way. That's disgusting." There is a pause in conversation, her eyes widen. "Again, not that love is disgusting. I'm not one of those people." Her eyes widen even larger. "I mean, I'm not one of those people, I am but I'm not one of the other people." She shakes her head in anger, not being able to get her words out. She lets her gaze drop to her feet in self doubt.

I smile gently at her, showing her that everything is okay. I place my hand on her shoulder, she lifts her head to met my eyes. "Hey, don't hurt yourself." I say, my smile not wavering a bit. "Your not what? Take your time."

"Homophobic, I'm not homophobic." Lisa replies simply, taking her hands out of her pockets. My eyes widen slightly but then go back to their normal size.

"Okay, good," I reply, not wanting to make things awkward. "And you are..?"

"Human." She answers, grinning from cheek to cheek.

I laugh softly, shaking my head as I chuckle. "No, I mean—."

"Guys!" Yeri yells at us, she sits on a tall wooden structure with a chair perched on top. "Can't y'all pick a boat already?"

I glance towards the different colored boats, there's a green boat, a pink boat, a purple boat, a blue boat, which Rose and Jisoo are already sitting in, and a yellow boat.

"What color?" I ask Lisa, who takes her gaze off the boats and brings it back to me.

"Yellow." She replies, her face lighting up. I feel her hand slip into mine, my jaw goes slack from shock. I can feel the hue rise to my cheeks, I mentally curse myself. She pulls me towards the yellow boat, a grin plastered on her face. She basically pushes me into the boat, I fall onto my back, the boat rocks back and forth, creating waves in the water around us. Lisa unhooked the boat rope and gently slips into the seat in front of me. I smile at her and get into my seat across from her, she returns my grin.

"What is this boating activity for, Yeri?" I hear Rose yell at the  girl sitting on top the wooden structure.

"It's to build bonds between your camp mates!" Yeri shouts back, itching her neck.

"Isn't that what breakfast, lunch, and dinner is for?" Rose hollers back, I chuckle softly.

"Just boat already!" Yeri shrieks at Rose and Jisoo, Rose puts her hands up in surrender.

"Jeez," She says to me from across the lake, which isn't very big. "She sure is feisty for such a small thing."

"I heard that!" Yeri scolds Rose, crossing her arms. I smile at her and give a thumbs up. She sticks her tongue out at me, my smile grows larger.

"So," Lisa comments, my attention draws back to the beauty in front of me.

"Yeah?" I ask, glancing around the boat quickly.

We are in a simple, really small rowboat. Oars prude from each side, they are loosely held in place. My knees rub against Lisa's, each time I feel her knee on mine, my breath gets caught in my throat. I grab the oar ends, I start to turn them in circles. Lisa catches on and does the same thing I do. Soon we are gently gliding across the clear water like a bird in the clouds.

"Tell me about yourself." Lisa says, my eyes met her's for what seems like the millionth time today.

"Well," I start, tapping my chin gently with my index finger. "I'm seventeen. I have 2 siblings. Umm," my voice trails off, I'm not that interesting.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" She blurts out, as soon as she says it, her eyes widen in horror. "I—."

I chuckle softly, cutting her off. I place my hand on her knee, even though I've only known her a few days; I feel like she's my best friend. "No, I don't have a boyfriend, nor do I want one." Lisa raises an eyebrow at my phrase but continues to listen anyway. "Do you?"

"I use too," She admits, shrugging her shoulder gently; which I've noticed she does quiet often. "But I broke up with him. I learned something about myself and it was the end of me and him."

"What was his name?" I ask, curiosity building in my tone. Lisa met my gaze quickly but let it drop almost immediately.

"BamBam." She replies, loathing overpowering her sweet, loving tone. I make a mental note to beat anyone up named BamBam, or in that case, anyone who lays a finger on Lisa besides myself.

"He sounds like a jerk." I admit, she smiles slightly, a chuckle releases from her chest.

"He is." Lisa agrees, putting her hand on mine. I feel my breath catch in my throat, I feel the need to cough but I don't want to move my hand.

"I'm glad you broke up with him." I say, noticing my voice is deeper and raspier. Probably due to the fact that I need to clear my throat.

"Me too." Lisa nods, her eyes trail over to the distance. They lock into a trance, but she quickly snaps out of it. Her eyes lock on mine, we both smile. I can feel the tension in the air, like if I cough; the air around my face will shattered and fall onto my lap. I breath gently out of my parted lips, I feel the urge to kiss her. But why would I feel this way? I've only known her a day or so, I bet it's the food they serve here. I never trusted that Irene lady.

The air suddenly turns chilly, chillier than normal, I take my hand out from under Lisa's and wrap my arms around myself to provide warmth. The once bright sky morphs into a dark, grayish blue color. I look down into the water, it turns muddy and brown unlike the previous crystal clear water. I look back up to find Lisa staring at me, normally I would blush and look away but something was wrong. Everything felt wrong.

"Do you..?" I ask, my voice shaky with confusion and nervousness.

"Yeah," She nods quickly, her eyes seem to be pleading something but I can't figure out what. "I do." Lisa casts her gaze over to Rose and Yeri who are laughing like nothing is wrong. "They seem fine. Maybe it's ju—!"

Her words are cut off by our boat spinning quickly. Horror fills Lisa's eyes, she jumps over to me; wrapping her arms around my torso. I hold on to her tightly, my heart beating out of my chest; like a sledgehammer against my rib cage. Everything is silent, it's creepy. Then a loud scratching sound echoes on the side of our yellow boat, the floating device flips over and we fall into the freezing water. The lakes here really hate me.

The second my head goes underwater, my arms and legs search for Lisa. The evil sounds of the deadly river enter my ears, they laugh at me. I hear whispering, "You should of saved me.." It echoes to me from everywhere, all angles; different tones. I shiver and my fingertips hit something warm. It's Lisa. I swim over to her, wrapping my whole body around her. She feels me and we met eyes, her eyes scream fear. I want her to feel safe, to feel protected.

I cane my neck around her's, I whisper in her ear, "It's okay, you're okay." I reassure her, bubbles spewing from my mouth.

This lake isn't as deep as the one near the Drown Hut, I feel my feet hit the moss covered bottom. Once the contact spreads through my whole foot, I push up with my legs, Lisa still tight in my hold. We start to float up slowly, I won't allow my breath to leave me this time. Not with her. With my eyes widen open, I see blurry light above, Lisa must see it too. Her legs start kicking upwards, we swim faster. Finally our heads break through the water, I take a huge gulp of air. It fills my lungs as Lisa grins at me, her eyes now glazed with something I can't place. I suddenly feel a pain my ankle, I go under again.

"Jennie!" Lis yells from above, I shake my head rapidly. No, not today, river. I frantically kick my free leg into the figure pulling me under, I feel sharp fingernails dig into my leg; I I help in pain, bubbles exploding form my mouth. The pain starts to subside, the creature roars at me, "You should of saved me..". I shudder again, one last kick at the figure and the pain is completely gone. I break through the surface of the water once again, to find Lisa gone.

"Lisa!" I yell, so very close to crying from all the event of almost drowning. No response. "Lisa!" I shout again, desperate to hear her amazing voice.

"Jennie!" Lisa's voice calls from afar, my gaze follows the sound waves. Lisa sits on the dock with Rose, Jisoo, and Yeri, a towel is wrapped around her perfect body. I sigh a sigh of relief, Yeri must of saved her before she could dive back under. I start to swim towards the shore. I crawl onto the dock, not even caring about my poor yellow boat anymore, I roll onto my backside; my breath heavy and close together.

"I swear I didn't tip you guys over." Rose pleads guilty, her hands in the air.

"I never said you did." I reply, sitting up slightly. I glance at Lisa, she smiles and I grin. "Lili" I say to her, breathlessly. The nickname just rolls of my tongue, her smile grows wider. Then it disappears, she gapes at my leg. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion then look at my ankle. Blood is pouring out of five small holes in my leg, my jaw drops in shock.

"I got you, babe." Rose says, taking Lisa's towel off her and wrapping it around my ankle. I smile gratefully. My gaze floats naturally to Lisa's eyes, they are coated with jealousy; from what, I don't know.

"Thank you guys," I say, my smile wavers. I look over at Yeri, she is soaked to the bone. I met her hazel eyes. "Did you save Lisa?" I ask her.

Yeri nods. "Yeah, I did. I'm sorry I didn't get you, I couldn't find you." She says, bashfully.

"It's okay," I reassure her, patting her shoulder softly. "Thank you for getting Lisa."

She grins at me. A camp ranger comes over to us, stress evident on his young face. It's Ryan from this morning at breakfast.

"Is everything okay over here?" Ryan asks, crossing his arms.

"Yea—." I start but Jisoo cuts me off.

"No, you need to bring Jennie to the nurse immediately. She has several cuts in her leg, they just need to be tended to."

Ryan nods his head, he offers his hand. I take it and wobble to my feet. I wince when my feet hit the ground, I lift my hurt foot off the ground, it hovers in the air. Lisa start to stand up but Rose pulls her back down.

"It's okay, Liz, you can stay here." Rose reassures her, Lisa casts a worried glance at me.

"But—!"

"You're right, everyone has a but you don't need to tell me that. Just stay here, she will be fine." Rose says, lightly humor laces in her tone. Lisa hesitates but then sits back down. Rose smiles.

"Bye, Jennie." I hear Lisa whisper as Ryan and I hobble away; his arm around me, keeping me from tilting over.

"Bye, Lili." I whisper back.

My leg throbs, my bite my bottom lip in pain. I don't know what was in the lake, and I really don't want to find out.

...

AN: Jennie tops? okaaay anyway, have a fantastic day/night and beware of spooky camps and lakes lol 

xoxo.