Chapter 4

Elements (jenlisa)

Jennie's POV

I sit slumped over at the picnic table. I'm dreading the rule campfire, how boring does that sound? I bat at my peas with my plastic fork. I have already finished my chicken and all that's left is round, impatient peas. Why do they have to roll everywhere? Why can't they stay in one place for a while? Why aren't they square? I stab one and place it in my mouth, I grind it against my teeth. Apparently I'm very passionate about peas. I roll my peas over to the stain of grease on the side of my plate; rice once sat there but I gave the rice to Lisa. I poked my fork through another pea and brought it to my mouth.

I felt Lisa prod at my shoulder, and I immediately feel like one of the peas I just ate. I turned my head towards her, "Yeah?" I ask, setting my fork onto my almost clear plate.

"Why are you tormenting your peas?" Lisa questions, I frown at her.

"I'm not 'tormenting' them, technically, I'm just whacking them with my fork before I eat them." I say, but it doesn't really sound much better.

"I'll save them from you," She offers, grinning widely. I can't help but chuckle and pass my peas over. Something about her makes me want to give her everything I have. Okay, maybe not everything.. right? I watch her as she picked two peas out of the few I gave her. She sets them aside on her napkin, then she pokes the rest on her fork tongs and brings them to . Well, there go the rest of my peas.

"When is dinner over?" Jisoo asks, glancing at Rose expectantly.

Rose just shrugs and continues to drink the water she reluctantly got from the kitchen.

"Dinner is over whenever you want it to be." Yeri explains to Jisoo who nods in understanding.

"Is everyone done, then?" She asks, glancing at all of our plates; her eyes land on the two peas Lisa left out. "Um, Lisa, are you going to eat those?" She questions, pointing to the peas sitting on the napkin. I notice Lisa's eye widen in horror for a brief second, I'm positive no one else saw, she then recovered and quickly nodded.

"Yeah, I am." She stammers. Jisoo nods and Rose, Yeri, and her stand up. I stand up as well, as I'm standing I notice that Lisa doesn't eat the peas, but she scoops them into her hand and shoves her hand into her jean pocket. I let my gaze waver and it falls. She takes her hand out of her pocket and smiles like nothing strange just happened.

"You guys ready?" Rose asks, clapping her hands together.

"Yep," I say, grinning. "Let's go explore this camp!"

...

The girls and I are walking down the hill to the middle of camp. The middle of camp is a huge green, grassy field. Certain building connect off it, like the nurse and the shower area, but nothing else. All bathrooms are next to each cabin; I guess that's nice.

"We have about a half hour before its rule time." Rose complains, she throws her head back while groaning. "I hate rules!"

"Maybe the rules will be there's no rules?" Jisoo suggests. Rose scoffs, a smile evident on her face.

"That only happens in poorly written movies, not real life." Rose points out, but then she shrugs and adds, "But we can hope, can't we?"

Yeri chuckles slightly, she bumps Rose gently with the tip of her elbow. "You sound like me!" She exclaims, Rose looks over at her wearingly.

"Is that a good thing?" Rose asks, lifting both her eyebrows. I cover my mouth to stifle a laugh, Yeri shoots me a glare. I give her a smile, the corner of her lips twitch upwards.

"Yes, of course it's a good thing. Y'all need to appreciate!" She states, crossing her arms.

I cast a glance at Lisa, hoping she won't met it. My eyes land on the blonde beauty, I smile to myself. She's looking around, taking in all around her. I'm about to prod her shoulder when I notice she's in deep thought, I decide to let her be. Maybe her mind isn't as such a scary place as mine is. I give her another smile, she doesn't notice. I turn back to the conversation with Rose.

"Okay, okay!" Rose exclaims, her hands in the air. "I'm appreciating!"

Yeri nods at this comment and she walking forward in complete bliss. Rose leans over to me and whispers, "I like that one, she's small but feisty! Seems like she'd be useful in a smacked talk beat down."

I snort, covering my mouth with my hand. I look back towards Yeri then at Lisa, who is still tangled in her own thoughts. I bend over as I walk, trying to get a glance at her eyes. She must of noticed me or sensed my staring because she bounces slightly, our hands collide for a spilt second; they drift apart, each their own.

"Hey," She says, smiling at me.

"Hi." I reply, sheepishly. I note that her smile grows bigger, my heart fills with sudden warmth. What is happening?

"Are you excited for the campfire?" Lisa ask, placing her blended arm near her face and pumping it back and forth.

I chuckle slightly. "Not really." I admit.

She let's her arm fall to her side.

"Yeah, same. I'm just really pumped for the campfire, like, the actual fire." She rephrases, cracking a crooked grin. I smile, then glance down at my fingernails.

"Y'all ," Rose exclaims, furrowing her eyebrows. "W—!"

"You said 'y'all'! You are sounding like me!" Yeri beams, nudging Rose playfully with her elbow.

"Whatever," Rose says, abruptly. She continues with her scolding, "We spent our whole 30 minutes walking around because Yeri can't find her way around this place!"

"I was only seven when I came to this place!" Yeri retorts, flailing her arms in the air.

Rose laughs, she slaps her thigh while cracking up. She holds her stomach with one arm and covers with the other. I just stare at her, she looks crazy. I then glance at Lisa while running my fingers through my hair, she's grinning at Rose. Yeri just stands, her hands placed firmly on her hips.

"Y'all laugh too much." Yeri complains, then she cracks a sly smile. She starts to laugh along with Rose and now Jisoo.

Lisa elbows me gently, I turn back towards her. "Crazy, am I right?" She asks, I laugh.

"Yeah," I reply, smiling at her.

Rose glances at her watch, she opens to curse. "Sh—!"

"Language!" Yeri scolds, cutting her off.

Rose glares at the girl, she rolls her eyes. "Fine, dang." She corrects herself, Yeri nods in approval. "We really have to get to the fire. If not, we're gonna be late!"

"Yeah," I sigh, my body still dreading the campfire. "Let's go."

"Where is the campfire area?" Jisoo asks, concern laced in her tone.

"I know!" Lisa exclaims, she shoots her arm in the air. "It—!"

"We know." Rose cuts her off, pointing her finger at herself then at Lisa. "The lady that checked us in told us where it was. So, it—."

"I'm telling where it is." Lisa states, glaring at Rose who sticks her tongue out. I chuckle to myself.

"Fine." Rose says, stubbornly but I can still the small flash of a smirk on her lips.

Lisa smiles then raises her finger to show that she is going to speak. "Okay, so the campfire area is down near the lake, down the left trail."

"Okay," Jisoo says, nodding. "Let's go."

As a group, we start to swiftly walk over to the lake; which is just next to the cabin where I got my cabin number. I let my eyes skim over the clear water, lily pads scattered the crystal water. I noticed some wooden rowboats chained to a skinny deck.

"We will get a camp schedule tomorrow at breakfast." Rose tells me, basically reading my mind. "We might be boating tomorrow."

"Wait, is there camp counselors?" I ask, praying to the heavens that there isn't.

"No, there isn't." Rose says, I breath a sigh of relief.

"Thank God." I say, smiling at Rose.

"We are here!" Lisa exclaims, gesturing to a huge, rock campfire.

The campfire area is made of stone; the seats are made of stone, the ring around the fire is made of stone, the steps are made of stone. Most of the seats are already filled with summer campers. I notice a sign that says in bold print; 13.

"Guys," I say to my cabin mates. "I think we sit over there." I point to the empty row of stone seats, they follow my gaze.

"Good eye," Rose's voice trails off, her face is etched with confusion. "Um, hey, Jennie?"

"Yeah?" I reply, looking over to her.

"What's your last name?" She asks.

"Kim." I answer, shrugging as I speak.

She snaps her fingers and points them at me. "Good eye, Kim."

I smile. My friends and I walk over to the empty seats. We sit down. I sit by Lisa, she notices me and smiles. I return the grin. Rose sits next to Lisa. Yeri sits by Jisoo and Rose. I stare forward at the fire, the flame lighting my eyes up. Then a women with blonde hair walks into the ring, she grins.

"Are you guys ready?" She yells.

...