Chapter 5

Elements (jenlisa)

Jennie's POV

I sit on the cold, hard stone with my elbows propped on my knees, leaning forward so my head rests in my palms. I stare blankly at the women with blonde hair, she's talking loudly to the campers. I've never been more bored in my whole life, and it's only been 5 minutes. The sky above me is turning a beautiful, dark crimson, the clouds start to fade away; they gently dot the brilliant sky, creating highlights in the red. The air smells of rich pine trees, which oddly reminds me of Christmas time. The sounds of quiet, distant crickets fill the air.

"Let's get to the rules, shall we?" The lady yells, the crowd cheers. When I say 'the crowd cheers', I mean cabins one, two, three, four, and five cheer; which are filled with children ten and younger."

My name is Wendy!" The lady with blonde hair exclaims towards the crowd. Cabins one through five cheer again, I shoot daggers towards Wendy. "What's yours?" A bunch of random names come in a mix from the smaller cabins.

"Lisa Manoban!" Lisa yells from beside me, her hands are clamped around to make her voice louder. I glance at her, she notices my gazes and grins sheepishly at me. I swear I saw some hue rise to her cheeks but don't take my word for it.

I lift my head from my hands and to her ear, "Manoban?" I whisper to her, she smiles.

"Yeah, it's my last name." She admits, shrugging her shoulders gently."

I like it, it's pretty." I tell her, grinning. Again, I swear the hue is back.

I avert my gaze from her and back towards Wendy, she beaming towards the younger campers. I glare at the peppy camp leader, she meets my gaze and her grin drops. I throw her a smirk and place my head back into my palms.

"T-the first rule is no lights on past nine!" Wendy shouts, ripping her eyes off mine.

I lean my body towards Rose, "Too bad our cabin doesn't have any." I remark, Rose laughs softly; stifling most of her laughter with her fist. I smile and adjust my body back to my normal 'glaring at Wendy' pose.

"Second rule; everyone in bed by nine!" She yells, everyone seems fixed on her; I'd personally rather be fixed on the girl with peas in her jean pockets, sitting right next to me. I shake my head, trying to clear that thought from it. I feel and hand on my shoulder, I glance over towards it's direction.

"You okay?" Lisa asks me, I smile at her.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Just a—" I quickly rack my brain for any traces of believable stories, I land on one. "Mosquito. Just, it flew right past my face."

Lisa nods, she cups her hand over and whispers, "I have bug spray in my bag. Together, with your head shaking skills and my bug spray, we can defeat all of the mosquitos!"

I laugh loudly, not going to even bother stifling it; the sudden burst of happiness overtaking the amount of hate I'm feeling towards Wendy right now. In the midst of laughing, I place my hand on her knee; thinking it's mine. My eyes widen in horror when my finger pads feel the soft materiel of Lisa's jeans. I immediately pull my hand back, I glance up at Lisa's face; it doesn't look like she noticed anything. Good thing.

"Sounds like a plan." I whisper back, after collecting myself from the whole hand-to-knee incident. Lisa grins at me, then she turns her gaze back towards Wendy. The breathtaking sky reflects in her warm eyes, the flames of the fire tint the back of her eye color. I smile to myself, letting my gaze linger longer then it should.

I reluctantly rip my eyes from her's, I look back at Wendy. Something clicks in my brain. I can't hate peppy, camp Wendy because I have a sister named Wendy. If I think of my sister, I'll just immediately think of camp Wendy and the taste of bitterness will fill my mouth. I want to hate her, not my sister Wendy but the peppy Wendy.

"What's your last name?" I yell towards Wendy, her deep blue eyes met my piercing cat ones. I have to say, I think mine look better.

"Son." She replies, I nod; knowing I can now hate her because her name isn't Wendy Kim.

"Now, the last rule is," Wendy shouts, holding her finger up for emphasis; I scoff. "No going out after nine!"

"Jeez," I whisper to Rose, who leans towards me to hear better. "What's up with all the 'no anything after nine'? What is this? The Visit?"

Rose makes a choking sound, she quickly throws her hand up towards to stifle the laughter. I grin and chuckle a few times myself. I feel a warm object press onto my knee, my eyes widen and whip themselves towards the warmth. It's Lisa's hand. I guess she did notice the hand-to-knee incident. My body stiffens and panic surges through my veins, but it doesn't feel like pure fear; it feels more like embarrassment.

"What are you guys laughing about?" asks the blonde beauty, leaning over my leg; forcing her hand to hold more of her weight, pushing it onto my knee even more.

"The Visit." Rose replies, her laughter subsiding slowly.

Lisa's eyes widen in horror, her hand grips onto my knee cap. I inhale abruptly; people start casting me looks, like I'm crazy. "The Visit?" She asks, fear evident in her voice. "I hate that movie, those movies. Basically any horror film is a no for me." She lifts her hand off my knee, I allow myself to exhale and to let my body relax.

"Good to know." I say, breathlessly. Lisa lifts my eyebrow to my heavy breathing, but then Wendy yells and she gives her attention to her.

Man, I really hate Wendy.

"Have a good first night at camp!" Wendy shouts towards all the campers. One last cheer erupts from the crowd before she walks off the stage and out of the ring.

"I'm so happy that's over." I overhear Jisoo comment to Rose that smiles and nods her head.

"Even I have to admit it was boring." Yeri adds.

I stand up, stretching my arms as my legs unbend. Lisa walks out of the row, I follow her. Once all my cabin mates and I are out of our seats, we form a circle. I stand by Yeri and Rose. Jisoo is on the other side Rose and Lisa is opposite of me.

"What time is it?" Jisoo asks, looking at Rose.

"It's about 7:50," Rose replies, shrugging slightly. "Why? What do you want to do for about an hour?"

"I want to go see the fishing hut." Jisoo says, nodding her head while she talks.

"Why?" I question her, confusion clear on my face.

"I hear the fishing hooks make good earring," She answers, sheepishly. "And I forgot mine at home."

"Let me guess," Lisa adds, joining the conversation instead of just watching it. "You don't want your ears to close."

Jisoo look dumbfounded, she asks, "How did you know?"

Lisa smirks slightly, standing a bit taller. "I know everything." She explains, humor laced in her voice.

"Okay, Miss Know-It-All, let's go down to the fish shack for a few then come back and get into bed." Rose tells Lisa, Jisoo grins from relief that her ears won't close.

"I have no interest going down to the fish shack." Yeri admits, crinkling her nose in disgust. "I think I'll just go back to our cabin and shower."

"We have showers?" Lisa asks, rubbing her bare arm with her other hand.

"Yeah, we do, you dork." Rose bumps Lisa gently with her elbow, Lisa rolls her eyes playfully.

"Okay, we will be back soon." I tell Yeri who nods.

"See you soon," She says before she scurries towards our cabin trail.

I smile in her direction then turn back towards my friends. I clap my hands together, everyone turns their head towards me.

"Let's go get Jisoo some fishing earrings!"

...

I trudge through the long, muddy grass. Who knew the ground would be this soft in summer? The sky has lost is brilliant crimson shade and morphed into a dark, water-color shade of blue. I look up and smile, the stars dot the sky like tiny pearls, lost in the deep blue sea.

"Aren't you worried your ears are going to smell like fish?" Lisa asks Jisoo. I chuckle softly at her.

"Hmm," Jisoo considers Lisa's question, "not really. I'm just hoping for the best." She admits.

"I'm just hoping your ears won't make the whole cabin li—." Lisa's sentence is cut short by her screaming loudly. I jump when the sound breaks the warm sound of crickets.

Lisa runs towards me, she bumps into me and I wrap my arms around her waist. I feel her twist and wrap her arms around my torso and bury her head in my shoulder. I lose my footing and tumble over, she squeezes me tighter. I land face up in the slimy, muddy grass. I catch my breath, not knowing it escaped. Lisa lay on top of my body, completely still but I can feel her chest rise and fall against mine.

"You okay?" I ask, my tone so far away from angry at her. Any normal person would be angry at someone who knocked them into mud, but this girl has made my the opposite of normal; and I've only known her for less then a day. Oh God.

"Y-yeah," She stutters, lifting her body off of mine. "I'm fine. Are you okay?"

I nod, "Yeah, I'm good." I lift my torso up by placing my hands in the mud, they sink in slightly but stay above mud-level. My ears suddenly pick up the sound of laughter, it's close by. I roll my eyes when I see who is laughing, it's Rose and Jisoo. In the dark night, I can see shimmers of tears on their cheeks from laughter.

"You guys are so mean." I say to them.

"You're so dramatic!" Rose chokes out, grasping her stomach and breathing heavily.

"Yeah, yeah," Jisoo gasps for air, throwing her hand into the empty space around her. "You were like," she takes another huge inhale of air. "Are you okay?" Jisoo says, in a deeper voice; trying to imitate me. "And then," but she doesn't finish her sentence because laughter takes over completely. Rose and her laughter together, leaning on each other for support.

I scoff and slip out from underneath Lisa. I get onto my knees and help her up, she holds onto my shoulder and I stand. I trail my fingers over the backside of myself, mud covers all of my back. I groan under my breath, I'm still not mad at Lisa, I'm just covered in mud.

"Are you covered in mud?" I ask Lisa, she shakes her head no.

"No, are you?" She questions.

"Yeah, I am." I admit, Rose and Jisoo roar in laughter again. I glare in their direction.

"I'm so sorry!" Lisa exclaims, rubbing her hand over my arm; trying to wipe some of the mud off but really she's just smearing it in more. "I felt a mosquito fly into my ear and out and I freaked out."

"It's okay," I reassured her, smiling. "Some say mud is good for the pores. Now, thanks to you, I'll have flawless pores."

She smiles softly at me, her eyes dart to the ground then back up to me. My smile grows wider, I open my mouth to speak but Jisoo talks before I can.

"Hey, look!" She exclaims, pointing towards a tall, skinny shack near the edge of a river. "It's the fishing hut."

"Let's go!" Rose says, running towards the hut.

When we reach the hut, the sky grows darker. The trees no longer have their shadow, everything is one. I feel a hand brush against my arm, when it retracts almost immediately I know it belongs to Lisa. A swooshing sound comes from beside me, a figure is now standing in front of me.

"Your eyes look scary in this light." I hear the figure tell me, I smile. It's Lisa.

"So, you're saying my eyes always look scary?" I ask her, I see the air move swiftly around her head area.

"No! Definitely not!" Lisa reassures me, I smile.

"Do you guys hear that?" Rose asks me, I go quiet.

I strain my ears to hear better, the sound of footsteps floods my eardrums. Cracking and groaning follows the footsteps, tree rustle in the silence between my friends and I. My heartbeat quickens, I feel a hand grip onto my forearm, I let out a strangled scream while I thrash around; trying to free myself. I lose my step and fall into liquid, it splashes around me.

"Jennie!" I hear a familiar, melodic voice yell. Something pushes into me and my head goes underwater and the rest is mumbled out.

I open my eyes, everything is blurry due to the water. I suddenly feel panicked, what if I'm under too far? I start flailing my limbs in attempt to resurface. The water around me is murky, most likely due to the amount of mud on my backside. I hear a strained splash, my heart beats faster. My hair wraps around my face, I can no longer see around me. I can slowly feel my heart beat start to slow down, my eyes widen. My body starts to move sluggishly, my limbs stop flailing. I feel a strong hand grip around my wrist, bubbles hit my face but they feel like distant taps. My hair moves to the side and my eyes met with warm brown ones, then everything goes black.

...

I feel my chest start to rise and fall again. My body is soaked and covered in some sort of grainy substance. I hear chatter coming from beside me.

"Liz, stop blaming me!" I hear Rose yell, stress cracking her voice. "I only told Jisoo to grab her so we could go hide in the hut!"

"Yeah!" Lisa yells back, her voice sounds tried and worn out. "And when Jisoo grabbed her, she freaked out! But, it's your fault! You said, 'Hey, Jennie, do you hear that noise?', so she was all paranoid and stuff!"

"It wasn't my fault my ears are amazing!" Rose retorts, then her tone quits being defensive and becomes more soft. "Are you sure you couldn't find a pulse?"

"Positive." Lisa replies, her voice cracks.

I blink my eyes open, and groan slightly. I begin to cough, I move my arm to cover my mouth. I start to push my body up with my other arm until I'm sitting completely upright. My breath becomes shallow but steady. What happened?.

"Jennie!" I hear Lisa's voice yell, joyously.

I tumble over again, she hugging me tightly against her torso. Her face is pressed into the top of my head. I honestly probably smell really bad right now so I feel bad that she's smelling my hair.

"You're okay.." Rose says, sitting down by us. Jisoo sits next to her, glancing occasionally at Rose.

"Yeah, I guess I am." I reply, grinning slightly. "But, um, what happened?"

"You feel into the water after Jisoo grabbed your wrist. A wave came in right as you fell and carried you out to sea. Lisa dove in after you. She then continued to drag you the shore, she said she couldn't find a pulse. She's been torn up since.

"I wonder why she would be torn up over it. We don't even know each other that well, we're barely friends. But, I guess seeing someone almost die would tear a person up. That's it, right?"

I'm sorry I scared you, I scared myself, too." I admit, Lisa releases me from her grasp. The warmth in my heart fades away.

"Let's just go back to our cabin. Jisoo can get her earrings another time." Rose says, standing up.

"Speaking of time," I say, standing up as well. "What time is it?"

Rose pauses and glances at her watch. "It's 9:13."

My friends and I exchange glances and we all bolt back to our cabin without another word.

...

I stand near my bunk, slipping on a pair of sweats for bed. My hair is still sort of wet and I figured out that the grainy substance was sand. I take off my shirt and fling it under my bed and into my bag. I put my pajama shirt on before taking my bra off, I sling that under my bra as well. I slip under my blanket and onto my surprisingly soft bed, I exhale loudly.

"Rose." I say from my bunk, my voice small in the echoey cabin. "Did you really hear noises when we were at the drown hut?" The girls and I agreed to call the fishing shack the 'drown hut' instead because of what happened, I smile gently at the though of it again. Not the part where I almost die but the part where Lisa hugged me.

"Yeah," Rose admits. "I did."

I chuckle slightly, "So did I." I pause for a second before talking again, I add, "This place is less like Camp Hunt and more like Camp Haunt."

"More like Camp Haunted." I hear Lisa from above me. I smile at her voice.

"Can you guys just go to sleep?" I hear Yeri complain from across the room. When we got to our cabin, she was already asleep but she woke up the second Rose dropped her hair brush on the wood floor.

"Goodnight," I hear Lisa say from above me again.

"Night," Rose says from across the cabin.

"Sleep well," Yeri comments from above Rose.

"Sweet dreams," Jisoo wishes me.

"Goodnight." I reply, turning over and closing my eyes for the night.

...

A/N: Jennie already almost dies and it's her first day at camp! anyway, if you liked this chapter, please press that star! thanks for reading <3

(P. S. I just noticed that this chapter is really long! You should probably get use to it, most of the chapter here on out are going to be longer chapters! I currently working full time on the jenlisa angst so about the updates for Elements its up to my bff/author)