Chapter XX

Hiraeth

"Huh.."

Lisa murmured to herself, eyebrows meeting into a frown as she scanned the data in front of her. She tapped the pencil against her lips, with her mind deep in thought.

"Your business is booming."

Somi looked over Lisa's shoulder, who was busy studying the stats of her new branch on her laptop.

"It's only one month old but the difference is quite noticeable..." Lisa mused as she scrolled down to see more details. Somi scoffed.

"Noticeable? It's very obvious there, bub." Lisa laughed softly. Somi moved over and sat beside the busy girl.

"I guess this was a good strategic place to put the second branch? It's a hit."

"It is. There was one time that I was in the branch to check and I found your staffs working under pressure because apparently, someone ordered twenty large boxes of wings and drumsticks. It was during peak hours too so it got pretty hectic."

"So that was true. I thought there was just some wrong input in here..." Lisa turned to see Somi with wide eyes. The girl nodded.

"And it was just an order from one person. Can you believe that?"

"That's quite unbelievable but it's reflecting the audit... Maybe they had a party or something." She shrugged.

"Ten also said it also happened a few times already. You might have to give that person a big discount next time or a membership card." Somi chuckled as she went on and grabbed two cans of soda from the fridge, tossing the other one to Lisa.

She opened the can and took a big gulp, face crunching at the sparkling feeling going down .

"That's crazy but I don't mind. Looks like I snatched a regular customer."

"Well, cheers to Freakin' Chicken for the great start of its second branch."

They both clinked their canned sodas together, spending the rest of the night chatting up about anything like they usually do and it's nice. 

Everything's nice. Just alright.

Until it got so routine-like that it felt a bit boring to her. It is fun and she's glad that her business is going well, but what now? What's next?

What is there for her to discover?

Should she start venturing on another business? Maybe.

Should she go on a vacation and spend a good time alone somewhere in a nice beach resort?

Sounds good, but maybe too early for her to lay off the monitoring of her new branch. Knowing Somi, she'll surely push her to go and leave it all to her.

And then it suddenly hits her out of nowhere.

Her friends.

It felt like forever since they talked. It almost feels like she abandoned them. Maybe they thought of that already, which she couldn't blame them. It makes her a bit hesitant to reach out now, ever since she started declining all the calls and ignoring the messages sent her way.

She shut them out until they stopped reaching out too, and it became ordinary for her to just focus on herself and her present as she left all those things behind her in the past.

Lisa doesn't know what got into her but the next thing she knew was absentmindedly sending a message to one of them, hoping it's still the phone number they're using.

And it didn't disappoint when she got a response just minutes after.

------

She scanned around the small coffee shop and it didn't take long before her eyes catch the figure of who she's looking for.

She was nervous as she walked up to her, clearing to get her attention.

All worries vanished when the girl looked up at her with her signature smile, eyes almost disappearing into thin lines.

"And the girl decides to show herself!"

Seulgi takes her in a crushing embrace, which she accepts gracefully with a soft chuckle. They settle themselves in their seats after a few more gentle squeezes, with smiles still plastered on their faces.

"I thought you were never gonna talk to me. I've been waiting for so long after all that's happened."

She watched Lisa as she rested in her chair, noting the small escape of breath the girl released while quickly avoiding her gaze for a moment.

"Of course not. I just had to do things on my own because I know you'll keep on worrying about me."

"I was still worried, alright. You don't even know how much I bugged Irene and the others to tell me about you. You didn't even call me when you got back here in Seoul!"

Seulgi pouted but Lisa could see the hint of disappointment in her eyes for shutting her out. She couldn't help the apologetic smile she sent her way.

She took a sip of the iced coffee that has been sitting on the table.

"It just got a little crazy back then, unnie. I didn't want to burden anyone with it."

There was something about the way Seulgi looked at her.

Was it pity? More like worry.

She mentally laughed at herself at how she knows her like a soul sister. She still hasn't changed.

"I don't mind it and you know that. I just don't want you getting all through that alone."

And with that, she smiled and nodded at the sincerity of her words. She was grateful that Seulgi still patiently waited on her, giving her the utmost understanding she could offer even though she practically forgot about all of them.

Maybe it was the growing insecurity of having to trust anyone, when all the walls came rising up around her, growing bigger and thicker that no one could even break through it.

But it was so easy for just one person to crash through them with just a simple letter. A paper full with words that she only listened to - making her open up to people again, even though it wasn't with her friends.

It helped her open up to new beginnings even though it wasn't with her. She was glad for all of it, but maybe a little voice inside her head still tells her she'd be happier if she went all through these ups and downs with her.

"It's been more than a year already. Hit me up with the updates, monkey. I cleared up my morning schedule for you."

She can't help the laugh escaping her lips as the older girl smirked and beamed at her like a cute bear that she is. They fall into comfortable conversation, talking about what happened for the past moments that they haven't been talking.

Ever since she moved to L.A., a lot of things changed for the both of them and they managed to update each other from time to time until things fell apart.

It was such a great feeling when it felt so easy for her to open up again to an old friend that she missed so much, lifting up the worries that she kept for months.

She was lucky she still got people like Seulgi around her even after all those that had happened. Maybe in another time, she'll have the courage to face the others as well after having ghosted on them for a year and a half.

Lisa was caught out of the conversation when she received a text message from Somi.

"I have to go to the new branch in Hongdae. Do you wanna come with me and take a look? Lunch is on Freakin' Chicken."

Seulgi giggled at the store's catchy name. It was indeed a name Lisa could've thought of.

"Maybe next time. I already have an appointment for lunch until later."

"Is this an appointment with the nation's model, Ms. Bae?"

Lisa at the creeping blush on Seulgi's cheeks, making the older girl more embarrassed and covered her face.

"Just get out of here already, you monkey!" She threw a crumpled napkin at her.

The younger girl stood up and made way to hug the older girl, staying like that for a moment before releasing the hug.

"Say my regards to Irene unnie. Perhaps I'll be able to reach out to her too some other time." Seulgi nodded and didn't push any further. She knows Lisa will get around it on her own as long as she was given the space she needed.

They parted ways with lighter hearts. Hours spent catching up wasn't enough to make up for the long time of absence around each other. Lisa's sure she'll make some more time to get all those lost time and make up for her friends.

One step at a time.

------ 

Somi was paying a visit to the chicken place so Lisa didn't think much of it. She does have her random visits and on site monitoring on her restaurants to see how they do during certain hours of the day without the staff's knowledge.

She thought it was better to see them on actual work than telling them beforehand that she's going to visit the stores. It's work hours so she expects them to be focusing on it rather than making a fuss of her doing rounds.

So when she entered the store in Hongdae from the other entrance, her crew continued their work, only paying her quick bows to greet her as the owner. It didn't take long before Somi goes out from the back to meet her in one of the reserved tables by the corner.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Nothing much. Dad just wants me to personally give you these files you asked for. He said it was for some study you've been doing for marketing and other stuff."

The younger girl tapped the thick bundle of file enveloped on the table. Lisa was surprised with the amount of stacked papers in front of her.

"Oh wow. Tell him I said thanks. These are a lot!"

"Also if you're free, he can discuss them with you. Just give him a call. Anyway, I just dropped by for these. I have to go do some other errands he told me to do."

"Wait. Did you have lunch already?"

"Yeah I did finish a few moments ago. Also paid for them." Somi winked at her smugly.

"Well I'm glad." She teased, but she didn't really mind if she treated her a few meals out of gratitude.

Lisa instructed one of her staffs to get the files and take it to the small office in the back while she and Somi bid good byes.

"Oh before I go! Someone was looking for you in there. I was told you know each other. She's waiting by one of the tables on the other side."

"Who?"

"I don't know. I didn't get to ask her name. You'll know when you meet her. "

Somi waved her good bye and Lisa sent her off before entering back in the store.

Time for lunch was almost over so people are slowly coming in and out of the restaurant.

She instantly thought of people who'd visit her. No one tried to give her a heads up so she doesn't have a clue. The only people she's been talking to lately are the same people and Seulgi.

So when she got back in the dining area of the store, she doesn't really know who she's looking for. Thankfully, it wasn't that crowded anymore so it's easier for her to scan the people in there to see who she's familiar with.

Waiting by one of the tables on the other side...

She hummed to herself, eyes darting to each table with a customer, walking by the aisle to get a better glimpse of their faces just in case she might miss the person she's been looking for.

But she can't seem to find the person Somi was talking about.

Maybe she already left?

As soon as she finishes scanning the whole area, she frowned to herself. Maybe the person couldn't wait for long and left. It might have bothered her a bit but she let it go and shrugged.

Lisa was about to go back to her office when she takes a whiff of a familiar scent that she hasn't encountered for a long while. 

It was so unique yet so familiar that it almost makes her disoriented for a second.

And maybe it made her hesitant to find out who wears that scent.

She felt her heart quicken at the thought.

Slowly, she turned around even though it felt like the hard beating of her heart seemed to be drumming in her ears too. It silenced out the noise surrounding her from the store.

It's like hearing everything and nothing at the same time.

Her eyes start checking out everyone from the time she turned her head to every person in that particular area.

An old couple, a small family, and a group of teenagers are what registered in her vision. In her peripheral vision, she could see another table occupied way back at the corner that she almost missed it if she wasn't careful enough observing.

Almost like on autopilot, her legs started moving towards that direction to get closer. Her mind was clouded, unsure of what to think or do even though her body was on its own will.

And it was at exact fifteen steps away from the spot, the image clears out - an image of a girl taking photos of the food laid out on her table, as if she's going to start an eating show at the amount of dishes in front of her.

It wasn't registering to her right away and the next thing she knew, she was eight steps closer to her.

Probably the closest she's ever been to her for the longest time.

The closest she's ever been at this very second of her life and it suddenly sinks in to her when she saw her smiling, seemingly satisfied of the photos she took on her phone.

That particular smile that mesmerized her from the very start.

Lisa freezes on her spot, carefully looking at the scene before her eyes. She closed her eyes twice, trying to see if she's seeing the right things or it's just her sleep deprived self doing tricks on her right now, because it's almost impossible to be witnessing this.

How?

Their eyes meet and she doesn't know what to do.

She stood there like a dumb fool, staring at the person looking back at her.

Slowly, she made small steps towards the table where she's at, making her way closer to the girl she kept longing for in her dreams every single night.

She smiled at Lisa and now she felt like crying at how everything is getting so overwhelming for her.

"Hi."

Hi? That's all she got to say after not meeting for almost two years? Is she crazy? I'm so close to tears and she says hi?

This is unbelievable!

She stayed silent and took a seat across of her, mind full of thoughts and not sure what to say back.

"You're here." 

She managed to say in a small voice. It might be rude to stare but she's doing it anyway to help her sanity at bay.

"Yes, I am," She said firmly as she stared back at Lisa with her lips still tugged in a warm smile, "I'm sure that was a promise I told you before we separated ways."

Of course she knew about that promise. How could she forget? It was a memory instilled in the deepest parts of her mind that she tried to ignore for months.

To be honest, she still doesn't know how to respond to that straightforward intention. So her eyes snap down to the variety of food in front of them as if they were the most interesting things she's ever seen.

"Are these all for you?"

The girl was switching to nodding and shrugging, realizing that it was all to much for a person to consume. Even more for a petite person like her.

"It won't be if you'd join me for lunch?"

And that takes Lisa off guard again by the everlasting charm of the great Kim Jisoo.

She studies her as if she'd been the most confusing puzzle when in fact, it might just be Lisa getting all messed up with her sudden appearance. It's like they never parted with the way Jisoo acts around her.

The other girl raises her brows at her, waiting for a response aside from the blatant staring.

"What do you think? Would you like to eat all these Freakin' Chicken with me?"

Lisa couldn't help the erratic beating of her heart at the sight of Jisoo scrunching her nose in the cutest way possible, paired up with her soft chuckles.

Jisoo offers her a plate with a few servings of drumsticks and maybe she knew she couldn't escape her persistence when she accepts it with a smile tugging on her lips.

Everything fell into place easily just like a normal day for lunch together. It might've been odd for some people, but to them it was like the other times that Jisoo came back for vacation from L.A.

They didn't talk about what happened while she was in rehab, nor talked about their current relationship status. Jisoo was too excited to hear everything about Lisa's business endeavors and present life in Seoul.

As usual, the bickering was still there, especially that Jisoo kept teasing Lisa about the name of her chicken place, which the older girl doesn't have any idea that it was inspired by her in the first place.

Freakin' Chicken - It's very obvious. Come on!

Despite all the teasing she got, Lisa could feel her heart swell at the sight of her muse enjoying the food she learned to cook and tastes she came up with. It finally felt more rewarding to her that one of the reasons she pursued this was also loving it.

They were interrupted when Jisoo's phone went ringing and took a quick break from their conversation to take the call.

When the call ended, the girl looked at her with an apologetic smile.

"I have to go. I enjoyed too much of my time here, I didn't notice it's already been three hours."

"Oh- it's fine. I wasn't aware of the time either."

"I only told them I'll only go out for a quick lunch. Sorry!" There was a small pout forming on her lips and Lisa could see the hesitation from the other girl to leave.

Jisoo hasn't changed- or maybe the Jisoo she knew was back.

"Don't mind it. Of course, it's alright. You don't have to apologize. I had a great time."

She was a bit surprised by the last bit but she couldn't take it back now. How could she take it back when Jisoo beams at her like a precious happy little kid?

It got a bit awkward when no one wanted to say good bye. Jisoo was about to say something but she decided not to, opting for a quick nod and her thumb pointing to the side instead, trying to tell her that she's off to go.

Perhaps, Lisa wanted her to continue what she was about to say. Maybe she wanted to hear what she was thinking before they part ways again. Because who knows when would be the next time they'll see each other once more?

But then she lets Jisoo go and she stayed glued to her seat, staring into nothing as she hears the faint footsteps of her walking away.

Is this how it should end?

She balled her fist, with her face turning into a frown. And the next thing she knows is she was standing hastily from her seat, not minding the few quick looks thrown at her when the sudden motion created noise and attracted attention.

She made use of her long strides to catch up with the girl who just left the restaurant. It felt like déjà vu once again when she thought of that memory of her running after Jisoo in the airport years back.

She finally caught up with the girl and gently grips on her arm. Jisoo was surprised at the sudden contact but eased down when she saw who it was.

Worry paints Jisoo's face while both of them stood there just trying to read each other. What was Lisa supposed to say? Her body reacted faster than her mind coming up with words to say.

"This is not the last time we'll be seeing each other right? We're going to meet again?"

It almost sounded like pleading but it was the only thing that came out of her. Her nerves were starting to get the best of her.

Jisoo got her arm out of Lisa's grip and went on to hold her hand instead.

"Of course, Lisa. I'd love that." She gave her hand a gentle squeeze, "As long as you want me to, I would see you every single day."

"Good." Lisa got flustered and immediately regretted letting go of Jisoo's hand. She missed the warmth that came from the contact. The other girl didn't seem to mind.

"Don't worry, I won't push myself to you nor I'd force anything that you don't want to do." Jisoo assured her with all sincerity, "All that matters to me now is that you still want me in your life."

Lisa was left speechless, nonetheless she understood what Jisoo meant and it was more than okay with her. She didn't think of rushing things anyway, now that they're finally back in each other's lives.

"So, I'll see you tomorrow lunch?"

"Yes. It's a daily lunch date, if you're up for it?"

Lisa wasn't holding back anymore. So much time has been wasted on being apart for too long, and this time she wanted to spend as much time as she could with the girl she missed most.

"Always up for it, Miss Manoban." Jisoo winked, and both of them fell into laughter. She didn't question it anymore. If anything, she's more than lucky that Lisa and her were on the same page.

"I won't hold you for long anymore. Take care on your way." She waved her to go but the girl stood still on her spot.

Jisoo took a two steps closer - real close that Lisa was unsure what was happening.

There was a strong force between them that pulls them together even more.

The older girl looked up at her shyly, with her eyes studying her face closer and back to meeting the hazel eyes that was staring back at her.

"Can I get a hug?"

It was soft but Lisa heard it clearly, and she didn't waste any second as soon as the words registered in her mind.

She pulled her close like she used to, almost instinctively. The funny thing is Jisoo didn't even have to ask. The girl could've come running to her in a bone-crushing hug and Lisa would've given it back without a second thought. That's how their bodies would automatically move around each other.

Jisoo's head rests just above Lisa's shoulder, and their hands found their way around each other's bodies like puzzle pieces that fit perfectly. The moment that their scents filled each other's senses, that's when it hit them.

They longed for this and now they're back in each other's arms. The way they'd pull each other closer - if that's even possible on how tight the embrace is - could attest to how they've been waiting for this very moment.

And if they're to describe what they're feeling, it's stronger than it has ever been.

With eyes closed, no one dared to talk and just stayed like that for a while, with tears escaping down to their cheeks without the other knowing, feeling like the weight kept for so long was lifted.

The words I missed you weren't enough. No words were enough to describe the feeling, the pain they went through and the joy they're experiencing.

The only language that both of them could understand right now is the comfort of being in each other's presence.

"I'm glad you're back home." Lisa whispered just for her to hear.

Jisoo couldn't agree more; but then to her, Lisa was home and she's right where she's supposed to be.

----------

A/N: This is probably the longest chapter out here lmao. Well, I hope you enjoyed it! I read it again before publishing and I felt nostalgic. Tell me what you think in the comments!