Chapter XVIII

Hiraeth

Her door opened but she didn't bother to look. She was too drained to even move.

 

"Aren't you going to eat? You haven't eaten anything since last night."

Jisoo didn't answer. Why bother? She doesn't have the appetite nor the interest to do anything at all. She's just waiting for the day that she goes to rehab so things will be over soon.

"Didn't you promise Lisa you'd take care of yourself? Looking at you now, you're already breaking the promise."

That caught her attention and made her eyes move to see her sister leaning against the door frame with her arms crossed.

"Why do people keep on leaving me, unnie? Is there something wrong with me?" Her voice was hoarse from crying and staying up all night. It was starting to hurt since she's getting dehydrated too.

Irene left her post and sat by Jisoo's side of the bed, fixing her hair to see her face better.

"Lisa isn't leaving you and there's nothing wrong with you either. She's just flying back to keep herself occupied. The past weeks have been tough on her too, you know."

She was too tired to think of anything else. Her anxiety and insecurities were getting too hard to handle each day. It's a surprise that her head hasn't exploded yet.

"Besides, she wants you to focus on your recovery. While you do that, she'll do things for herself. Explore stuff and work. You know how she is."

It's true. Lisa wanted to establish something without getting any help from her or from her family, especially her father, even though the whole family is fond of her already. If it was her choice, she'd just give everything Lisa needed, wanted and more. But a part of her also stops herself from discrediting Lisa of her hard work. She didn't want to hold back Lisa from her aspirations. If anything, she wanted to be there while Lisa continues to grow to the strong and amazing woman that she is.

Jisoo sighed and tried getting up from bed. Irene just watched her slowly walking towards the door.

"Did you make anything good? I'm hungry."

She smiled, following the small girl. "Check the dining table. Your favorite is there."

If Jisoo knew who made the food, she knows the girl would eat them right away, regardless if the food was good or not.

----------

"Hey, it's time to leave. The car is ready and so are all of your stuff. We have to meet them up at the airport." Jennie smiled at her sadly. She slowly nodded and the girl left her for a moment to get everything all set.

She almost didn't want to move. This makes everything more real and if she doesn't step out of the room, she knew she'd go running to Jisoo and stay.

But she had to do this for the both of them. She doesn't have the leisure of time to think things all over again when she was the one who suggested and decided it in the first place. She had to own it up and face whatever happens.

In this case, she had to be the strong one for the both of them.

She put on her coat and went downstairs to follow Rosé and Jennie waiting at the car.

Nights before, she successfully sneaked out of Jennie's unit to go to her and Jisoo's shared unit upstairs. She could just tell the couple she visits her place but then she wanted no one to know. She wanted to be alone even just for a while. She wanted to savor the remaining days before she leaves for Seoul.

But it wasn't the same home she comes home to if Jisoo wasn't there. The place, even though was kept clean and maintained since she last saw it, felt emptier than it had ever been. Nonetheless, she spent her few nights laying on the side of her bed in Jisoo's room, staring into nothing.

The scent filled the room but Jisoo's warmth can't be found. It felt colder as she brushed her hand against the spot Jisoo usually sleeps in.

Every night that she visits, she leaves the unit taking something with her that is either special for them or is Jisoo's possession. It made her feel a bit comforted that she's taking something with her that has Jisoo's presence in it.

The ride to the airport felt too long. The agony of leaving the place where they thought they'd start something new together was there, together with the agony of facing Jisoo one last time before they part ways to face their lives on their own for a long while.

Every step she took inside the airport terminal felt heavier, making her feel like not wanting to leave anymore.

Her strong and composed facade must've faltered a bit when her eyes laid on the petite girl standing a few feet away from her, looking and feeling smaller when she looked back at her.

"We'll just be behind both of you. You've got time before your boarding time." Irene squeezed her arm and left them, making Lisa inch closer to Jisoo.

Their arms linked automatically once they were side by side. Maybe a body language they're used to doing ever since they got together.

"Let's walk?" She smiled softly at the girl and she smiled back, not saying a word while they walked slowly around the lobby.

No one knew what to say. What would you say to someone you didn't want to leave behind? What would you say to someone you want to stay so bad? Their minds were screaming questions left unsaid, and maybe it was the best thing to do; to leave them inside their troubled minds.

"You liked the fried chicken I cooked the other day?"

Jisoo perked up at the question, staring at Lisa like a child. She can't help the little pout forming on her lips. She knew the taste was too familiar.

"I loved it. I ate them all." 

Despite the big smile, Lisa noticed the quiver in her voice but she chose to ignore it. She beamed at the fact that she was still eating after all, even if it was becoming obvious that Jisoo has been losing weight. She must be having trouble sleeping too at the sight of dark circles on her eyes that have been covered up by make up.

"I'll practice more on cooking so I can prepare you better tasting meals. When you're all recovered, I'll cook you a feast. Deal?"

"I'll look forward to that. I can't wait already."

It was heartwarming to see the smiles they shared.

They were both excited at the thought of their future together even if it will take some time. Jisoo leaned closer to her, resting her head on her arm.

When they were closer to a restricted area, they paused and went by the corner, snapping them to the reality that they're minutes away until they're separated miles away from each other.

Lisa faced Jisoo, tucking strands of hair behind her ears, taking in every detail of her face so she'll remember her perfectly. 

"You remember what I told you right? All of them?" The girl nodded, staring back at her with the same longing eyes.

"I'll be fine. You should be the one taking care of yourself."

Lisa only smiled. Every word spoken is inching them closer to the bitter good bye. She noticed the tears forming from Jisoo's eyes.

Jisoo bit her lip for a second before speaking again.

"Let's break up, Lisa."

She froze. 

Was she hearing things or is she getting delusional? Is this a dream?

"What-" Jisoo shook her head, interrupting her from speaking.

"I can't hold you back from getting real happiness. I can't do that to you. I love you too much to take that away from you. As you leave everything in L.A., I'm setting you free."

Confused was an understatement. Jisoo was smiling genuinely at her through her tears and it was unknown to her that tears were also continuously flowing from her own eyes.

"But I love you, Jisoo. I don't- I can't..." The girl went in for a crushing embrace. This was their last moments after all, and she's not sure when she'll be getting to do this again.

"And I love you too, so much. You don't even know."

Lisa couldn't form sentences anymore as the two of them become a crying mess in front of each other. Rosé and Jennie were crying too as they stood a distance from them. Irene stood her ground, taking note of the time.

Jisoo broke from the embrace and studied her features one last time, caressing her soft tear-stained cheeks. She held her face and brought her closer to hers, capturing her lips in a kiss.

"I'll see you again after all this. I'll look for you wherever you may be." She took a breath in between sobs, trying to wipe away the tears from Lisa's cheeks.

"And if your heart still beats for me by then, I'll never let you go again. That's a lifetime promise."

They kissed and embraced longer one last time before they parted ways. It was bittersweet how airports are their thing, but this time, it closed to a sad ending chapter of their lives.

----------

A/N: Well...there's that. Tell me your thoughts in the comments!  There are 3 chapters left for Hiraeth :)

Thank you for the birthday greetings!