Chapter XIX

Hiraeth

It has been tough living alone again and going back to square one in establishing herself back up, but she's sure she's not the only one having it hard so she made sure to focus on herself to distract her mind from thinking of her.

Lisa was almost done with double checking the kitchen and the storage when she heard the front door open, with the chimes ringing.

"Sorry, we're still closed!" Lisa closed her inventory and walked out of the room to check who came in, feeling relieved it wasn't some burglar or any suspicious person. She smiled at the girl walking towards her.

"Hey bub." The girl gave her a quick hug and small peck on her cheeks. She returned the hug, giving her a small pat in the back.

"Hey, what are you doing here so late?"

"I was looking for you. What are you doing here so late?" The girl leaned back against the counter, watching the other girl fix her stuff from the table.

"I was just checking everything before tomorrow's launch. You know, taking care of my baby."

The girl walked towards the table and sat down, while Lisa did the same.

"Ah such a hardworking girl. You could've asked me to help so it would've been easier for you."

"Somi, you've already helped me a lot, from starting my business to putting up this second branch. Besides, it's just some inventory I needed to monitor. It's not that big of a task."

"I'm not counting the times I've helped you, you know? I don't mind it a bit."

"Well, I do. Just let me do things. You have your own stuff to manage, kid."

Lisa winked and stood up, slinging her bag on her shoulder and pointing Somi to the door to follow her. The younger girl huffed, but followed the older girl.

"I'm not a kid..." The tall girl heard her whisper but she chose to ignore it. They continued walking side by side, continuing their little chats.

But what she didn't notice was someone watching them from a distance inside a sedan, far enough not to be seen. 

The car's engine started and went on its way on the road, going to the same direction where Lisa and Somi walked off to.

It's been a usual thing for them to walk together at night. The younger one would sometimes come with her car but Lisa prefers walking. It makes her clear her mind for a while, or maybe it makes her think of certain things. It's not all the time that Somi comes and accompanies her to going home. Lisa wouldn't allow it even if the girl would insist. She became used to being alone that at some point she enjoyed it.

It makes her feel a sense of independence and solitude that lets her appreciate what she has at the moment. It makes her grateful of the present times. She enjoys the time when all noise silence down once it hits nine in the evening. It's like a reminder that all the busy things going on died down to rest and she's back to checking herself and what happened for the rest of the day.

"I guess this is all for tonight." Somi entered the black vehicle in front and opened the car window. "Good night, Lisa."

"Good night. Say hi to your dad from me. Also tell him, thank you."

"For the nth time, Miss Manoban? I told you it's no big deal. A businessman knows potential when he sees one." 

She waved her off, making Lisa laugh and shake her head. She waited for the car to leave before entering her own apartment.

It was silent as usual in her own little space but she liked it. It doesn't feel as empty as it used to before.

After taking a quick shower, she plopped down on her bed, staring at the pink bunny plushie sitting on her bedside table. She smiles.

"I'm not sure how long it has been, Kaji. I didn't notice that I've stopped counting. Is that bad?"

She softly chuckled to herself for talking to an inanimate object. Nonetheless, she continued it.

"I have no idea how all of them are right now. I haven't been checking messages for a long time. I guess I've been too busy."

Her eyes flickered to the drawer of the bedside table, remembering the last thing she placed in there. She hasn't opened it since then.

She was about to open the door when she noticed a bunch of mail by her doorstep. The bills came in and she couldn't help the sigh escaping her lips. She picked them all at once and entered her small apartment.

It's been rough for her in her first month back in Seoul since she left L.A. She knows she couldn't be miserable forever so she tried her best to get back up even if things still haunted her. She was here to fix herself too while Jisoo recovers.

It's been three months now. Three months and twenty one days...and two hours to be exact. She's been counting and she's not sure why. It helped her in some way, like it reminded her that she's still continuing her life alone, doing what she wants and looking for things she loves.

She arranged and checked the bills on her table, seeing if her savings are still meeting the bills. She declined any financial help from her friends even if they're willing to share huge amounts of money to help in paying the bills, telling her that she could pay them back anytime when she earns something but it still didn't settle well with her. Tempting, but she said no.

One envelope caught her attention. It was different from the others and there was no indication to where it came from. She cautiously opened it, seeing a folded letter in it.

It's different.

She opened it and the moment her eyes land on the content of the letter, she knew right away where it came from. She knew that handwriting so well.

Dearest Lisa,

How are you? I hope you're doing well back there in Seoul. Is it hot there now? I suddenly missed Seoul... Anyway, I've been doing alright here. You must be surprised about this letter. We had a sharing activity the other week and I realized that I should tell it about you. I want you to know.

I told Irene to go back there too. Korea's sweetheart shouldn't be away for too long, am I right? Jennie and Rosie have been visiting me every weekend. I told them they don't have to, but I guess a stubborn person like me has stubborn friends too. It's really sweet of them but really, I'm fine over here...compared to how I was.

I won't make this long. It dawned on me that you've been patient with me even though you were dying to know, dying for me to open up. Let me tell you.

Our mom left us when I was too young. I didn't understand why and nobody would tell me the reason either. They keep telling me she went to some place I won't be able to go to. They distracted me with things so I would stop asking about her but they didn't really succeed. I couldn't accept it.

One day, I saw her at an amusement park where I was with my family, and I knew that she saw me too. It was all too fast but I went running after her, screaming and calling her. She looked back at me like she didn't know me; like I was nothing to her and something in the glint of her eyes feels like disgust... It was the only thing I kept seeing in my dreams for a long time. I was haunted and my sisters saw the horrors of it.

I was the one affected most and dad couldn't just let me get worse. I went through therapy for a few years and my family were all supportive. It helped me get better but as I aged until my teen years, there's still a part of me longing for my mom, looking for answers. That's why when I finished my degree in Korea, I flew to L.A. to take up masters degree and also look for her after finding out that she moved there. But then it didn't go well as I hoped.

It wrecked me again...probably worse than before and I blame myself for being a fool that she'd be happy to see me years after. I worked so hard to be someone she'll be proud of but I didn't get that recognition. So it's time for me to let go of it and start working hard to be someone I'll be proud of. I'm doing all of these for myself, my friends and family, and you.

Don't wait for me, Lisa. As I work on my recovery, I wish you well on your endeavors. When we meet again, I'll be looking at you with a big smile because by then, I'm strong enough and you will be too. And we'll be both proud of ourselves.

 Live not just for the sake of living. I know you'll find out for yourself and you'll be happy you did.

Here ends my letter. I'll be seeing you.

Terribly missing you and greatly rooting for you,

-Jisoo

She stayed silent for the whole time recalling the memory. It was like a wake up call she needed to boost her drive. Since then, she's been working hard until she met Somi and her dad, who generously helped her in putting up the business she dreamed of. It wasn't easy but she made it.

She smiled softly, eyes slowly shutting to sleep.

Everything was in their place. She was right; she did find out and now she could say that she's happy and content.

----------

A/N: Maybe I'll prolong the agony a bit so I'm not gonna update on Wednesday ;) Countdown to 2 chapters left!