Round 1 - Meet the Americans

The Fool & The Dancing Bear

Note: Hanbin's freestyle rap is written by me.

You'll be meeting Seungjae in this chapter, the OC who has replaced Bobby as the other Team B rapper!

 



“Did you eat enough this morning, Jiwon-ie? Do you need me to stop and pick something up for you?”

Bobby groans over his aunt’s fussing. It’s sweet, and she’s been wonderful to him so far. But he’s already nervous enough and she’s not making it any easier on him.

“I’m fine, honestly, your cooking was perfect. I don’t need anything.” Except for you to stop fretting over me!

“Ah I know, you must be getting annoyed with your auntie, aren’t you?” She asks him teasingly, reaching across the seat to pat his cheek. “I know you’ll do well today, but I’m still worried for you.”

He smiles back at her and grabs her hand, squeezing her fingers. “I know you are, and I appreciate it. I’d be lost if I was here without you.” The comment makes her blush and that makes Bobby feel good. His aunt doesn’t have any kids of her own. She tried, but two miscarriages in had her giving up. Bobby can tell that she’s elated to have him for the summer, loves having someone around to spoil. It makes the separation from his mother a little easier.

“Well, here we are. Send me updates whenever you can, okay?”

“I will, I promise. I don’t know how long the taping will go, but you’ll probably still be working when I’m done. I’ll let you know, though.” She leans forward to give him a peck on the cheek and he feels grateful to her again for being so supportive of him. Then he’s out of the car and standing in the parking lot.

It's the day Bobby's both been looking forward to but dreading—the first round where he's going to meet his Korean competitors. He makes his way inside, meeting up with one of the producers, who ushers him into a room with the other four who made it through in LA. Everyone's looking pretty confident. Bobby's wearing a mask to hide the nerves beneath, and he wonders if the others are really as confident as they appear? Or are they all full of churning apprehension on the inside, just like he is?

The five of them sit around for a bit, chatting about their trips here, wondering how they're going to be introduced. The other contestants are already with the judges, and all they've been told is that they're going to be introduced separately.

The introduction is actually a bit awkward, and it makes Bobby rather self-conscious. The producers make a big deal out of the fact that they came from the US, as though they're supposed to be so much better than everyone else. That makes them targets right off the bat, and no one's giving them a smile.

Then the producers explain what this next stage is. They're splitting everyone up into groups based on their rankings from the judges. Bobby's face goes sour at that—he'd forgotten that he only passed with two group approvals, and after the way the producers hyped them all up, he's embarrassed at the fact that he's not appearing in the top ranked group. Everyone gives him a weird look when they see him placed in the second-to-last group, and for a second he feels intimidated by the whole process.

But then he remembers his family and Robbie's family, and he thinks about how excited his aunt is to have him for the summer, and he gets his worries under control. They're going to play each group a beat and let each of them freestyle over top of it. Bobby's feeling confident about it, he loves freestyling. He just needs to remember not to rely on English too much, but he's been brushing up on his Korean vocabulary ever since he got his plane ticket. He's ready for this. He's going to show everyone that he should have been in the top group.

Things are relaxed for the rappers with top rank badges on their chests, and Hanbin's feeling pretty good too. Or at least as good as he can hope to be, because his head is still reeling over the bombshell from two weeks ago.

When Yang had told him you'll be busy over the summer with something else Hanbin hadn't thought for one second that the mystery something had meant a new survival show. Mix & Match. Two new members now he's been having to think about, two new people who are so painfully far behind Team B that Hanbin wants to laugh (because laughing is better than crying, and he's been so frustrated with the additions that it's been a struggle to not break down).

Coming to this taping is a much needed breath of fresh air, it's a day for him to try and focus on himself, to find his balance and re-centre himself after being out of sorts for the past two weeks. He feels terrible about leaving the others, but he needed a break. Maybe leaving Chanwoo and Jinhyeong with Donghyuk and Jinhwan to practice dancing for a day without him breathing down their necks will be good for the new kids.

He hopes so, at least.

It feels good right now, though, to be standing with the elite group. He won't be cocky and say that this is where he should be because he knows for a fact that there are even people in the bottom-ranked group who probably could be in the top group had they not screwed up, or had they made a better beat choice.

He knows that he stands out from most of the others, but he doesn't delude himself into thinking it's because he's a better rapper. His advantage in the competition is on performance, on selling himself. He knows his strengths and he knows how to play to them in the best way possible because he has to do exactly that every single month. There are guys here who are better rappers than he is, but he doubts any of them are better performers.

Besides, it's hard to really focus on himself doing well when he's in a group performing with someone like Vasco. Just looking at him is giving Hanbin goosebumps. He still hasn't been able to greet him properly yet, though of course he's done a formal greeting. He wants to tell Vasco that he's a huge fan of his, but at the same time he doesn't want to look like a dumb kid freaking out over meeting his favourite. He’s always worried Vasco won’t take him seriously because he’s an idol, so the last thing he wants to do is look like he’s trying to kiss . Instead he'll say nothing. He'll get his opportunity.

The most interesting part of today is the appearance of the five Americans. Going on looks alone, no one really stands out to him, though he is curious about the guy who placed near the bottom. Were the American competitors so poor they took someone who half-failed? Or did he suffer from a lousy choice, but the producers recognized the underlying skill? Hanbin's most curious about him.

The production staff give them a few minutes to gather themselves in preparation for the impromptu freestyle session, and Hanbin surveys the groups, eyes flitting around to take everyone in. In particular he's looking for the guy who tried to diss him in the second round (Olltii was his name) and sees him over in the three pass group, and to Hanbin's surprise Olltii is staring hard at him. Hanbin just smiles politely at him and moves on, not wanting to give him the impression that he could be intimidated.

The producers select the one pass group to be the first ones up, and Hanbin feels a little bad for them because it is tough to go into something like this without much preparation. They don't even know what beat they'll be rapping over.

He hangs back with the rest of his group to watch, paying attention to each performer. After all, the whole point of this performance is to let them all see each other, because after this is over they'll be pairing up in groups of two in order to compete against each other for a spot in the top 26.

Most of the bottom group does as poorly as expected, though a few of them surprise him, but no one worries him. Next up the producers call for the three pass group, and everyone perks up a bit, because there are definitely competitors to watch out for here.

Hanbin pays attention to Olltii, and to no one's surprise he talks about Hanbin being here again. Hanbin can feel eyes on him at Olltii's lines and he does his best to keep himself composed. The slight felt personal in the last round, but after talking about it with Seungjae, Hanbin is convinced that Olltii's only doing it as a way to ensure he gets screen time. Hanbin can't blame him for it, really. It's a smart tactic.

What he doesn't expect, though, is that Olltii's not the only one. A total of four of the three star group rappers diss Hanbin (though none of them do quite as good as Olltii) but Hanbin's not bothered. It was inevitable, really. People will do anything to try and secure screen time.

Originally he wasn't planning on addressing anyone with his rap today, but he strings together a few lines in his head while they're waiting, and he wonders if he shouldn't diss back? They're probably not expecting him to, and it's such a risk, foregoing all the different verses he's got in his head already.

But it would make a statement. Maybe earn him a little unexpected respect? And it’s not like this stage matters that much in the long run. The judges aren’t judging them on this particular moment. This stage is for each other.

While Hanbin's contemplating his verse, Bobby is just contemplating the scene. He felt bad for everyone in the first group, many of whom looked nervous in general, and he understands all too well the shame of being ranked low. But then he watches the performances of the second tier group, and he's curious after he hears a few of them address one contestant in particular, some guy they call an idol who's in the top ranked group. Bobby doesn't know what they mean by idol. Whenever he hears the term he actually thinks about religious idols, and he knows that's not what they're talking about. Then he thinks about the American Idol tv program, and wonders if they have something similar in Korea. Did this guy win Korean Idol, or something?

Bobby doesn't even know which one he is, and he goes through each contestant in the top ranked group individually out of curiosity, but no one screams different to him in the way the disses imply. Bobby doesn't want to ask anyone, because he doesn't want to seem that interested. He'll probably find out when the top ranked group raps.

For now he just has to keep his wits about him and wait for his turn. He knows people probably aren’t expecting much, since he’s ranked near the bottom, and he can’t wait to show the others who he truly is.

The second tier group finishes, and to no one’s surprise the production staff picks his group to go next. Bobby had contemplated going first, but then he decided that maybe he’d be generous instead and let the others perform before him. He’s not usually so cocky, but after hearing the bottom group (and seeing how nervous some of the rappers in his group are) Bobby’s feeling out of place amongst them with his confidence.

So he elects to go last and he waits. His group is a mixed bag—half dismal, a few decent, and two really good rappers who quickly prove that they belonged in a higher ranking group. Bobby plans to outshine them, though.

Hanbin watches the two star group, taking mental notes about each rapper, but he’s waiting for the American, curious about him. All four other of the Americans are in the top group with him, so this one is going to be first one they hear. He calmly waits until the end of the group before taking the mic, and Hanbin knows he’s not the only one interested.

The first thing Hanbin notices is his voice. He’s got a great voice, great tone, deep and strong. It’s the kind of voice that Hanbin envies, because it’s so much easier to sound cool with that kind of tone. His own is higher, more nasal, and he always has to be conscious about how he raps because it’s so easy for his voice to come out sounding terrible.

On top of the good voice this guy’s got pretty decent flow, and while his lyrics could use some work, he does have exceptional lines buried in between just decent ones. But the thing that stands out about him the most is his presence. He’s got a fantastic presence when he raps, there’s an energy about him that makes you pay attention.

It’s a sort of natural charisma that could rival Hanbin’s own. That’s the main thing he wants to avoid in the upcoming battle. He’s not concerned about better rappers, he’s concerned about performance.

He adds Bobby’s name to the short list of competitors to avoid at all costs. He’s not sure how far he’ll make it, but he thinks that, given the right producer team, Bobby could go far on this show.

He’s the last for his group and Hanbin joins the others in their applause. He still has to decide quickly what he wants to do for his own verse. Go with what he’d prepared? Freestyle a response to the disses of today? He looks around the room a final time, makes eye contact with Olltii.

There’s a challenge in the gaze directed back at him, and Hanbin makes a split second decision.

Freestyle response it is.

The production staff tell his group they’re up and everyone looks at each other, a silent process of deciding who’s going to go first. Normally he’d secede to his training in the idol business, he’d step aside and let those senior to him have their go.

Not today.

He’s got to do this while the fire is fresh in his brain, while he can still feel the embers in Olltii’s glare on his skin.

the whole lot of them—this is Hanbin’s game right now.

While everyone’s still eyeing each other, Hanbin steps forward and approaches the mic and he can see the looks of surprise on some faces, doesn’t bother looking behind him at the others in his group.

Time to shine.

Now I know in your eyes I’m just an idol
Never thought of me as a potential rival
You think I’m here cause I feel entitled
You think I’m jealous of your bull beats recycled?
Go ahead talk with your weak rhyme
Keep my name on your lips if you want screen time
Wanna curse me out with three stars on your chest?
Go sit your down cause I ain’t impressed

Bobby’s feeling excellent after his performance and his expression is bright with everyone’s eyes on him. Definitely showed that he belonged in the top group. In a way maybe it was good that he’d placed a bit lower, because it ensured everyone paid him more attention when he rapped. If he’d been in the top group, he’d have been one more great rapper amongst all the others. This way he got to show off first.

He’s interested to hear the top group and stands back with the others to pay attention. He recognizes a few faces from his research (the main one being Vasco) but he doesn’t recognize the kid who reaches for the mic first.

It’s apparent though, from his rap, that this one must be the idol. Bobby still doesn’t know exactly what that means, but he has to say he’s impressed. The guy’s got stage presence for sure--in fact Bobby thinks he might even be the first one today who’s actually making a point of making eye contact with them all. His rhymes are entertaining and smart and his pronunciation is super crisp. All of this from a freestyle as well, because Bobby’s certain there’s no way he prepared this beforehand, not with the way the guy responds directly to comments made just now.

For the first time today, Bobby makes a note that this is someone he needs to avoid at the early stage of the competition.

Hanbin finishes his rap with a 90 degree bow (not out of honest respect, but to be sarcastic) before handing the mic off to whoever reaches for it next. He killed it, and he’s got a smile on his face that says exactly that. He looks for Olltii and is surprised at the expression on the other guy’s face. Despite his vitriolic rap about idols earlier, Olltii’s actually got a smile that looks impressed.

Hanbin gets the distinct feeling then that maybe this whole thing was twofold? A chance for Olltii to ensure he gets airtime, and a chance to actually test Hanbin and see what he’s really made of. He’s suddenly feeling grateful to him because had he not responded to the disses, his prepared verse might not have made the impact that his freestyle did.

Things just have a way of working out for him, it seems.

When everyone's done the show producers tell them that they’re going to begin selecting partners for their 1 vs 1 battle, and they’ll be doing it by lottery draw. Hanbin’s feeling pretty confident about his chances. A few rounds go and none of the match ups are too exciting (mostly really good rappers vs terrible ones, or terrible vs terrible) but then Olltii’s name is drawn and he struts up to the stage.

“Olltii, let’s have a quick chat before you make your choice,” the host says, beckons him closer, “you’re making a name for yourself as someone who’s very outspoken against idol rappers. Care to give your thoughts on that performance from earlier?”

Hanbin watches them, knows the show is probably asking him for a soundbite. Unlike the majority of the guys here, Hanbin is well-versed in show production. He made poor choices in front of the cameras on a few occasions during the production of WIN, choices that garnered him something of a negative reputation. That’s why he’s intent on being very careful in front of the cameras this time. He can’t afford to be hated on this show.

Olltii takes a second to look out over the group before he replies. “I still think idol rappers are . But I have to admit that I was a little surprised, earlier.” Olltii looks around for Hanbin, grins when he finds him. “I didn’t think YG taught classes in freestyling.”

Everyone laughs and Hanbin just smiles. He’s hyper aware of the cameras, knows they’re probably on him right now. Knows that he’s going to have to pay them mind for the rest of the taping because now that Olltii’s gone and addressed him directly, the producers could use any reaction he gives today as a response to Olltii’s comments, and viewers would never know.

“I will grudgingly admit that I am just a little impressed with our idol. Originally I was planning to select him for this round, but I think I’d rather give him a breather, hope he makes it to the show so he and I can battle each other in a more important round.”

Hanbin has to fight not to laugh at the sheer gall of Olltii’s comments. He’s grateful, though. Olltii’s exaggerated beef with him isn’t only good for himself—it’s equally as good for Hanbin. People live for drama on these sorts of shows. Hanbin is more than willing to deliver it to them. 

Olltii selects some no name opponent that he’ll destroy, and Hanbin isn’t surprised, and he knows Olltii isn’t dodging him now out of intimidation--he’s trying to build himself a storyline and a fan base to improve his chances of being selected for a team. Very intelligent, and Hanbin is impressed with the plan. Hanbin watches as Bobby, the American he’d been interested in, calls out his competitor. It’s someone that he should easily beat, in Hanbin’s opinion.

Two competitors later and finally Hanbin is challenged, and it’s one of the three star group rappers who dissed him. The guy says that unlike other opponents of idols, he’s not afraid to take Hanbin on now.

That’s perfectly fine in Hanbin’s opinion. He’ll destroy this guy no problem.


Destruction is exactly what happens later on. They decide on a beat choice and Hanbin is exceptionally polite to his competitor despite the frosty reception he gets. That’s fine, though, because Hanbin is used to having cameras rolling in his face during potential struggles, and he’s very careful in how he portrays himself in front of that camera. He makes pointed commentary that emphasizes his own professionalism versus his competitor’s obvious amateur behaviour. He almost can’t believe how well he’s able to use the situation to make himself look good.

They present themselves to the judges and Hanbin beams a smile at Tablo and Wu, who try not to smile too brightly back at him. They’re the only two on the producer team that know about his current struggles with Mix & Match, and he wants them to know he’s got this under control.

They start their battle and Hanbin has politely allowed his competitor to go first, and even though there’s supposed to be animosity between them, Hanbin remembers enough of the other guy’s rap to be able to offer him support, adlibing accent beats. The other guy gives him a look that’s clearly annoyed, and it only spurs Hanbin on even more.

Then it’s his turn, and unlike Hanbin (who showed a professional edge by treating it like a team thing) this guy ignores Hanbin’s verse and offers no support at all. Hanbin doesn’t need it, of course, and he focuses on the judges anyway, holding eye contact and endearing himself with his charisma.

It’s obvious they’re more into his verse, and his competitor knows it. They finish and Hanbin gives a full bow to the producers (and one to his opponent) before standing up straight again with an elated smile on his face.

They don’t take long to make their decision, and The Quiett is the one who gets up to give him his snapback for passing the round. Before he leaves, though, they ask him about his plans for which team he’d like to work with.

It’s something he’s put a lot of thought into ever since he passed the second round. YDG is decidedly too abstract for his personal tastes, and while he likes the Illionaire judges (and is still grateful to Dok2 for passing him in the first round despite his screw up) he doesn’t really think their trap beats are suited to his style.

He’d like to work with Swings simply from a fan perspective, and San E would be a great mentor as well in terms of lyricism. But the smart choice is to stay with YG, even though he knows everyone will just think he’s being safe.

But these are artists he shares a label with, and as much as he likes Swings, he doubts he’d ever have the chance to work with him again after the show ends. Tablo, though? He’s been dying to work with him already as it is. But he’s still a trainee with debut barely in sight, and he knows if he makes a good impression on the show, Tablo would be more willing to think about him when they get back to YG for future projects.

“Ah, to be honest I really want to work with Tablo hyung and Wu hyung.” He says it with a bashful smile (both for the producer’s sake and the camera’s) and he grins when Tablo reacts in surprise.

“Hanbin-ah, you can see me at work!” Tablo laughs a little as he replies, and Hanbin fixes him with a slight frown.

“But hyung, I don't see you at work.” That line makes the other producers burst into laughter, and Tablo grins back at him. Point made.

A little while later and Bobby’s up against his opponent, and he passes easily over a stumbling competitor. The producers ask him about who he wants to work with, and after giving a safe answer that he’d be honoured to work with all of them, they press him into being specific and he answers that as of now, he has a slight preference for team Illionaire. Dok2 and The Quiett share a look and Bobby hopes it’s a good sign when they both nod at one another.

They’re allowed to leave after they finish, and while Hanbin heads back to his team members for a long night of training for their upcoming assessment, Bobby finds himself with a free night and nothing to do. But he runs into a few of the other competitors who’ve passed, and Bobby is surprised when they ask him if he’d like to go out for a celebratory meal and drink with them. He agrees, glad for the invitation.

He recognizes Olltii, the one who’d called out the idol he was impressed by. There’s another guy who was also pretty well known, C Jamm, some underground rapper that everyone likes. He doesn’t know the names of the other guys, but he’ll learn them by the night’s end, he’s sure.


Hanbin is feeling completely recharged by the time he gets back to the training centre, eager to get back to s and share his good news. He’s also feeling re-energized to work on the newbies, certain his mind is fresh enough to help them out.

He stops on the way to pick up some snacks, though, because he hates showing up empty handed when he’s been away. When he arrives he waits outside before going in, silently watching as everyone’s working on the group dance routine.

Jinhwan is leading the practice, and Hanbin watches it with a critical eye, looking specifically at the new guys. But they’re doing decent, better than the day before to a noticeable degree. He wants to think that’s because he wasn't there, wants to hope it was due to Jinhwan and Donghyuk’s help. It’s not that he wants to think that his hawklike watching is a detriment to anyone. It’s more that he wants the others to prove themselves, wants them to show how much they’re all needed.

Despite this being another survival, Hanbin knows that he’s obviously safe. He’s the leader, the team can’t happen without him. But he wants s to have every chance to show how important they are, because they’re the ones who need to prove something still.

After they finish getting through it once he finally opens the door and enters, and it feels like coming home to a happy family with the way they’re all greeting him with smiles. Donghyuk actually rushes over to give him a hug and to say how much he missed him. It warms Hanbin’s heart because he knows that Donghyuk’s not talking him up. He probably did miss him.

“Ah, hyung missed you too!” He replies and pulls him in for a hug. “How about the rest of you?” Hanbin asks cheekily.

“I don’t know about everyone else but I really enjoyed you being gone for the day.” Junhoe greets him cheekily, and Hanbin laughs at him. Unlike Donghyuk, Junhoe is just talking him up.

“Junhoe is the one we all really need a break from!” Seungjae replies, and he comes over to stand in front of Hanbin, reaching out to tug on his snapback. “What’s this? You didn’t leave home wearing this. Is it a participation hat?” Seungjae’s teasing him, but he can tell by Hanbin’s good mood what is really means.

“Yeah hyung, you passed, right? You made it?” Donghyuk’s reaching out to touch the hat too, and Hanbin feels happier than he’s felt in a long time. This summer’s going to be tough, but as he looks around the room and sees the adoring eyes of s on him (even Junhoe, try as he might to maintain an aloof atmosphere) he knows it’s going to be worth it.

They make it worth it.

“Of course I passed!” He tells them, and they all sit together to share the snacks he brought back while he tells them about his day.

“Did Olltii try to diss you again?” Seungjae asks, and Hanbin grins at him.

“He did, but he wasn’t the only one. I think you were right, he’s using me for screen time.”

“Wow, whatever happened to just getting by on your own merit?” Jinhwan asks.

“Nah, he’s smart, I don’t blame him. There’s a lot of good guys there, and he’s not really known too much. You have to do whatever you can. Besides, he’s really good, and it actually helps me to have a rivalry too. I did an awesome freestyle today after a couple of them dissed me, and I think that’s what Olltii was actually looking for, to see if I had legit talent or not.”

“Oh, was he impressed with you after?” Seungjae asks, because he understands better than the others. Dissing isn’t always personal in the rap game.

“Looked it. We had to pick opponents after, and the host asked him about me, but he said he wants to wait and face me later on in the show.”

“Pretty much trying to guarantee he gets passed just for a good storyline!” Seungjae replies, and Hanbin grins back at him.

“That is pretty smart, actually. I’m sure the production staff will be hoping he makes it after that.” Junhoe seems to get it too, and Hanbin is just happy to be able to discuss everything with them. It helps to have them.

“How were the Americans, hyung?” Donghyuk asks, and Hanbin talks about them all, and even after seeing the others, he still thinks Bobby has the best chance on the show.

“I’m happy you’re doing well, Binnie!” Seungjae says, crumpling up the bag of chips he’d just polished off and throwing the resulting ball at Hanbin’s head.

“Thanks, Jae.” Hanbin throws it back at him, and they spend another ten minutes goofing around before Hanbin corrals them back to work.

But everyone’s got an extra spring in their step after their playful break, even the new guys, and Hanbin makes sure to compliment them on their much improved form from the day before. They both smile shyly and thank him for the compliments, and Jinhwan smiles at him in a proud sort of way. It just reinforces Hanbin’s positive feelings about everything.

It’s a heavy workload, but he can handle it.