Semi-Final and The Possible Future

The Fool & The Dancing Bear

The semi-final looms over Bobby’s head like a dark cloud, memories of losing to Vasco earlier in the program fresh in his thoughts. It’s a constant distraction when he’s at work, to the point that his aunt notices. He feels sorry to her, but his whole life is hanging on this program, on whether or not he can jump the hurdle this time or if he’ll crash again.

He has a late-night Skype session with Robbie, and his fresh take on Bobby’s Korean raps are much needed. Robbie has always been his greatest hype man, and Bobby is too nervous to hype himself right now. Robbie asks him about friends he’s making, and Bobby contemplates telling him about Hanbin. Of course he’s told him that he’s become friends with him, but they’re not exactly just friends anymore, and that’s the part that Bobby’s keeping to himself.

Maybe Robbie can tell, though, because every time Bobby brings Hanbin up, his best friend gets that amused smirk on his face.

“What?” Bobby asks after seeing it appear again. It feels like Robbie’s laughing at him.

“Nothing,” Robbie replies, “I’m just not used to seeing you look like that when you talk about someone.”

“What do you mean?” Bobby asks, panicking a little.

“Like a huge in’ dork,” Robbie replies, “seriously bro, every time you say his name you get this dumb little grin, like you can’t believe that someone so amazing exists and talks to you.”

Bobby’s sure the comment makes him blush, because on one hand to be called out so openly is embarrassing. But on the other hand—it’s true.

“Does Hanbin know you think so highly of him?” Robbie asks with a grin, and Bobby’s sure then that Robbie knows. They’ve been friends for too long, Robbie would be able to spot the difference in him.

Still, it’s weird to admit it out loud. “Yeah, I’m pretty sure he knows.” That’s as close to a confession as Bobby’s willing to give right now. Robbie just grins and they go back to discussing his lyrics and his beats, and nothing more is said about Hanbin.
 



The semi-final comes and goes in a rush, and Bobby’s never felt more nervous than he feels standing there at the end, because of course they’ve left his battle til last. It’s because of Vasco, he knows that. He feels a weird sense of finality while they wait, but most surprising is that he thinks that he might actually beat him this time. His stage earlier was definitely his most popular yet, he could tell by the audience reaction. Of course it helped to have Dok2 and The Quiett performing with him, in all their Illionaire excess. He enjoyed the stage, and they had nothing but compliments for him after, and it was easy to get caught up in their expectations.

But as he stands on stage beside Vasco, his mentors flanking him, waiting, he keeps repeating a silent prayer in his head. He needs this victory, he needs the final. His eyes dart up to the top section, to the face he can barely make out behind the mask and low-slung snapback.

Hanbin surprised him by showing up in secret. If anyone asked, he was there to support Woosung taking his place. And as much as Hanbin did show up to support Woosung, he’d also come to support Bobby, and the gesture is appreciated. He looks up at Hanbin, who’s come out from the back area to watch the results.

Finally they reveal the numbers and Bobby looks up at the screen, expecting yet not expecting the result, his brain buzzing so hard he can barely comprehend what he’s seeing.

Victory. He made it to the final.

Full of pride and hope for the future he gives a tearful victory speech, saying as always that he’s doing this for his family. Even though he hasn’t spoken to them about it yet, he blurts out the thought that’s been on his mind lately. That when he wins he’s going to use his prize money to move his family back to Korea. Because he has a reason to stay, now. Not just the potential of a career in the industry, but something more. Something personal.

Someone.

The victory is bittersweet though, because Woosung doesn’t make it. It was a close battle but he lost out to C Jamm in the end, and when Bobby gets the chance to talk to him later Woosung’s all smiles, happy to have come back for one more stage. The three of them go for dinner after the taping, a late-night affair at his aunt’s restaurant.

With Woosung’s help they manage to surprise Hanbin by having s show up to join them, all seven of them, and they spend hours there, eating and talking and enjoying each other’s company. Bobby notices that even his aunt is in great spirits, and she hovers around them all night, happy to have so many grateful kids to take care of.

Bobby spends the night glued to Hanbin’s side, and he doesn’t know if Hanbin has told them yet, but he thinks that even if he hasn’t it must be obvious to them all what’s going on between the two of them. Hanbin is super touchy the entire night, always with his hands on some part of Bobby. But he notices that it’s not just himself—Hanbin’s touchy with everyone. Jinhwan, the eldest, sits on Hanbin’s other side, and Bobby notices that Hanbin seems to constantly have one hand on him, and one hand on Jinhwan.

It’s cute.

But when Hanbin goes to the bathroom Jinhwan is quick to scoot into his chair, getting close to Bobby.

“I didn’t want to say this in front of him,” Jinhwan starts, “and I don’t know if you know, but you’re actually Hanbin’s first friend outside of the company.”

Bobby hadn’t known that, though he could have guessed. “Yeah he told me he’s not really good with new people.”

“He’s not lying,” Jinhwan replies with a grin, “he’s probably the shyest person I know, despite his charismatic stage presence. So I just wanted to say thank you, for taking care of him so well and making him feel comfortable. You were there for him when he needed you, and I’ll always be grateful to you for that.”

Bobby feels exceptionally touched by the comment, and he can see the concern Jinhwan has for Hanbin in his expression. “I’m sorry things have been so rough for you guys,” Bobby replies, “and thank you for trusting me with Hanbin. I know the two of you are really close.”

Jinhwan nods, and he looks a little misty eyed. “We joined YG on the same day, you know, me and Hanbin and Seungjae. It’s been really tough after what happened, but we’re trying to get through it. Your timing has honestly been perfect, because I know if Hanbin didn’t have you, he’d be even more of a wreck than he’s been. So again, thank you for taking care of him. He deserves all the best things in the world, and the best people. I’m glad we’re getting to know you a bit more tonight, it makes me feel better about the two of you.”

There it is—Jinhwan must know about them. Their eyes fix on each other for a few seconds and Bobby wants to blurt out to Jinhwan just how much he cares about Hanbin, but he’s mindful that while Jinhwan must know, the others might not.

Jinhwan reaches out to take his hand, squeezing it tightly before sliding back to his own seat, and seconds later Hanbin is back, and Bobby feels a renewed sense of importance in their relationship. It’s funny what the approval of a stranger does sometimes.

They finally leave at three in the morning, and Bobby isn’t surprised when Jinhwan corrals the others out to the waiting van, telling Hanbin to take his time. They’re even dropping Woosung off, so suddenly Bobby’s alone with Hanbin, and Hanbin doesn’t waste any time before he’s got Bobby’s face in his hands and tongue in his mouth. It’s not desperate—just filled with a happy, content sort of longing. Bobby’s arms are tight around him and Hanbin wishes he could have longer, but he knows he’s lucky to even get this.

And it’s enough, really. It’s enough right now, just to get to see him, to get to spend hours together, not just alone but with everyone he’s close to. With his friends.

Bobby kisses him again and then kisses his forehead softly and walks him to the door. He stands in the doorway to watch as Hanbin climbs into the van, and it feels weird to watch all of them leave together. For a moment his brain feels confused, wondering why he’s not leaving with them too.

The thought is interrupted by a hand on his shoulder, and Bobby turns to look at his aunt, and for a second he wonders if she saw the kiss? He hasn’t told her, doesn’t know what she’d think. But she smiles at him and tells him that she’s happy for him, that she watched them throughout the night, he and Hanbin, and that she can see how happy they both make each other. He doesn’t even have to confess because she knows, and she’s happy, and Bobby hugs her tightly, unable to speak his gratitude out loud for her support. He takes it as a sign, though. Everything is going to work out.
 



“Hyung, I have a question and I want your honest answer.” Bobby’s been waiting for the right moment to ask all day, and he finally gets the sense that now is the time.

Dok2 turns away from the computer to face him. “Hit me.”

“Do you think I can make enough money to support my family moving back here? It’s my dream to move them back to Korea, but I want to have realistic expectations.” Even with the prize money going to them, Bobby knows it’s not really that much.

Dok2 shrugs, taking his time before answering. “Honestly, it’s kind of a gamble with you starting out. It’s a tough industry, it takes time to really make any serious money. You’ve really grown in popularity, which is important, but you need more than just fans. You gotta do a lot of shows, get advertising deals if you can. I’ll help you out if you’re serious, but you gotta put in a ton of work to make sure it keeps up. No one’s here to babysit you and do everything for you, you gotta hustle on your own.”

Bobby nods, and he’s glad to hear the truth and not just bull lip service. “I know if I win the money it’ll go a long way towards making their lives better, but I don’t want them to move back only to be in the exact same place they were in before they left, you know? I want them to live a good life, I don’t want ‘em to have to work. My dad works two jobs right now. I want him to retire so he can start painting again.”

Dok2 smiles at him, a proud sort of smile. “You’re a good son, Bobby. Family’s really important to me, and I was right where you are when I was your age. It’s hard, I went through a lot of , but it’s worth it in the end. My family wants for nothing, and it’s a good feeling to know that I can give it to them. But a lot of my money came from songwriting credits, which I don’t know if you’re at that stage to get yet. So it’ll be harder for you.”

Bobby nods, and that’s what he’s worried about. He wants to survive off music, but he just doesn’t know if it’s realistic. “You’re right, hyung, I’ve started working on stuff but I’m not at that level yet. That’s why I’m worried. Now that I started with music, I know there’s nothing else I want to do. So how do I get good enough to make a living at it? How do I support my family? It’s not just my parents, but my hyung, Jiun, I think he wants to propose to his girlfriend soon, and I want to give him money for a nice ring. But money only goes so far, and like, how do I prioritize what to do?”

Dok2’s silent for a moment, and Bobby’s quiet while he waits for an answer. It’s nice to just get it off his chest, though. Dok2 understands what he’s going through because he’s been there himself. He’s an ideal person to learn from.

“I can’t tell you what to do,” Dok2 says, “but I will say this. Sometimes, in order to get the things you want, you gotta do things that you don’t really wanna do. Sometimes you gotta look at places you wouldn’t normally think of looking. Maybe you’ll find what you’re looking for there.”

Bobby thinks he knows what Dok2’s talking about, but he doesn’t want to say it out loud. It’s something he’s been thinking about at times, occasional fantasies that might never happen.

But still. It’s a nice dream.
 



“How’s Bobby doing with his track?” Tablo opens two beers—one for himself, and one for Joonkyung.

“He’s doing good, hyung, the track’s fire. He’s really improved on his Korean a lot since we saw him back in LA.”

Tablo nods and takes a sip of his bottle. “He’s really been working hard, you can hear it in his performances. He’s got such a great voice, he really stands out among a lot of the new kids.”

Joonkyung smiles. “Yeah man does he ever! That’s what got me at first, you know? I remember hearing him back at the very first round, when San E was judging him. I had to know who that voice belonged to.”

“It’s definitely the sort you sit up and pay attention to.”

“I’m glad I pushed for him back in LA, I had a feeling he was worth it.”

Tablo laughs at the comment. “No , huh? You guys would have been the first to go if you hadn’t had him.”

Joonkyung grins back at him. “You know he’s got serious potential though if he won over Vasco. I honestly think he might take the final. The crowd’s really been feeling him lately.”

“Yeah that wouldn’t surprise me. I’d like to see him win, actually. He seems like a sweet kid.”

“He is, it’s not just for show. We were talking the other day about his family, he wanted my opinion about whether or not I think he could support them doing hip hop over here.”

Tablo pauses as he’s about to take another sip, because the conversation has suddenly taken an interesting turn. Even with their history, he knows there’s a reason why Joonkyung asked him to meet up today. “What did you tell him?”

“The truth,” Joonkyung replies, “that it depends on a lotta things, how many shows you do, if you get deals for , if he starts composing for other people. It’s tough to make any good money just starting out, you know that hyung. We can hook him up wit’ some , got some connections that could be good for him, but it only goes so far. He’s a good kid though, I wanna help him.”

Tablo sets his beer down and wonders how long it’s going to take until they get to the topic he’s sure they’re here to discuss. “Yeah, he definitely has that sort of personality, like you see him smile one time and suddenly you wanna adopt him into your family.”

Joonkyung laughs. “That’s accurate, hyung.” Things get silent for a moment, they both take sips of their beer, and after a moment Joonkyung speaks, like he’s finally reached a decision.

“You guys find a replacement for Hanbin’s team yet, or are you still looking?”

Bingo.

“Why, you think you know someone?” Tablo teases.

Joonkyung smiles back at him. “You know, Bobby talks about him a lot, I don’t think he realizes he does it.”

Tablo is happy to hear it. While Hanbin doesn’t talk about Bobby, Tablo still knows that they’ve gotten close. Hanbin’s just better at guarding his secrets. Tablo thinks it’s the ingrained leader instincts. “Yeah, it’s nice to see Hanbin actually making a friend outside of the company. I thought that little dork would never talk to anyone.”

Joonkyung smiles, because even though he hasn’t had that much interaction with Hanbin, he’s had enough to know that the charismatic attitude he has on stage isn’t what he’s really like off stage, and he’s always been shocked by how respectful and polite he is. “You think it’s weird if I suggest it to Bobby? You know my history, I’m always wary about getting involved with agencies. I know the YG has is on a different level, but still, agencies always come with problems. But if he wants good money, I can’t help but feel like that’s the direction I should point him in.”

“It’s not weird at all,” Tablo replies, “he’s already got that connection with Hanbin, so it’s not like you’re sending him in blind with no one to take care of him. Hanbin’s probably the most self-sacrificing trainee I’ve ever met, he lives for s. He’d do his best to protect Bobby.”

“That makes me feel better,” Joonkyung says, “I feel like Bobby doesn’t really know much about any of this.”

“No he definitely doesn’t,” Tablo says, “but even so, I think he’d have a good chance. Hyunsuk wants Hanbin’s group to be a touring group, since they’ve got such great stage presence already. Bobby’s got fantastic energy, so I know he’d easily fit in. If he manages to make music Hyunsuk likes as well, then he stands to make real money once they’re a year in.”

Joonkyung nods. “Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. I actually ran into Jiyong this weekend at the club, asked him if he thought it would be worth it for someone coming in fresh like Bobby. Jiyong had a really high opinion of Hanbin too, so hearing this from both of you makes me feel better about it.”

“So, do you think Bobby would go for it?”

Joonkyung shrugs. “I don’t know, hyung. I think he’d definitely considerate it, just because it’s Hanbin’s team, and the promise of good money. But it would be a huge life change for him. Then again, I know he goes hard on stage, but that kid’s soft underneath it all. So I don’t think he’d have a huge problem doing some of the idol stuff. Just the hard work and constant training.”

“So you want me to arrange a meeting for him?” Tablo asks, but Joonkyung shakes his head.

“Let me talk to him first, feel him out a bit. I just wanted to get your opinion.”

Tablo nods, but he’s going to talk to Hyunsuk anyway. Hanbin has confided in him that he’s concerned about finding a replacement that he’ll be able to work with, someone that will match him as well as Seungjae did.

In Tablo’s opinion, he thinks Bobby might match him even better.
 



There’s still two weeks before the final, and Bobby is at his aunt’s, waiting for his mother to come on-line so he can talk to her. He has something weighing on his mind that he needs to talk to her about, a very important decision to make that will drastically change his life, and he’s not sure what to do.

Three hours ago he had a meeting with Yang Hyunsuk, CEO of YG Entertainment’s music division. Dok2 had come with him, a buffer who understands the music industry and agency contracts. Bobby’s beyond grateful to him for coming, because everything went over his head. He still can’t believe he actually had a meeting with an agency. Hanbin’s agency.

Yang had offered him the opportunity for a contract. He’d explained that they were currently looking to sign a new rapper, one with amazing stage presence, who could write and self-produce.

A second rapper for Hanbin’s team.

Bobby’s not allowed to talk to Hanbin, though, because Yang hasn’t told him that he was making the offer. The CEO’s aware of their friendship and it was a big part of why Yang had brought him in for a talk. He stressed the importance of the second rapper needing to match Hanbin on-stage, someone whose charisma wouldn’t just get drowned out.

Bobby’s surprised when Yang tells him that he’s reviewed his performances and he’s actually a fan. Yang thinks his energy is a perfect match for Hanbin’s team, and he likes the way Bobby interacts with the crowd.

He promised that he’d still be able to work on solo music, but his priority would have to be on the team. It wasn’t just as simple as an offer, though—there were evaluations he’d have to pass. The one that worried Bobby the most was dancing. Hanbin’s group has amazing chemistry when they dance. He has no training whatsoever, but he has a pretty good sense of rhythm and he’s strong. Yang said they’d be willing to work on him if he’s willing to put in the effort.

It's an overwhelming decision, though, and the sheer magnitude of the change it would have on his life has him continually second guessing the possibility. He’s really just afraid of getting too interested only to fail the evaluations. But Yang gave him a time limit, because they’re on a crunch with Hanbin’s team. Bobby knows about the show they were filming, and he knows that Yang wants an answer for the fans (and the investors) as soon as possible.

So he’s given him a week to make up his mind. One week before the finale of Show Me The Money. He's already stressed enough with that, how can he possibly pile more on his own shoulders? But then he thinks about Hanbin, who’s been filming the show from the beginning, without anyone else knowing. Thinks about everything Hanbin has already given up, and he wonders why he can’t do the same?

He has nothing else waiting for him back in ia. He has no plans for university, no thoughts about what else he might do with his life. But if he goes for it that means giving up a big chunk of his life, giving up his freedom. Hadn’t he watched WIN and felt relief that he’d never had to go through any of it? So why is he seriously thinking about it now? Is it just the money, the security for his family?

Or is because of his own selfish interests? Is it because he’d get to be with Hanbin, twenty four hours a day?

But what happens if he isn’t good enough? What if he passes the evaluation, but he can never quite catch up with the others? Will it drive a wedge in between them? Will he become a burden to Hanbin instead of a comfort?

It's difficult when the person whose opinion he most wants is the only person he can’t talk to. He thinks back to that night at his aunt’s restaurant, with Hanbin and his whole team. They’re his potential team mates now. After only a few hours of meeting them he’d come to like them all, and Hanbin had told him that they’d all really liked him too. But meeting as a friend is different than working together, and living together. He’s used to cramped living quarters, at least. He and Jiun have been sharing a room for as long as he can remember. It won’t be that different.

Yang hadn’t really said anything about money, but Dok2 had told him that the potential was there to make a lot. It would be more than enough to move his family back and take care of them for life. They might have to work for a year or two until the group started touring, but his dad wouldn’t have to work two jobs, at least. The company would cover all of his expenses, so any money he made he could give to his parents.

It's tempting, but it’s still a lot to digest. Yang had told him that the group would have a hip hop concept, so it’s not like he’d have to do cheesy soft pop ballads. The opportunity would be there to do hype music, and he’d still be able to work on his solo stuff.

It almost seems like it’s too good to be true, and after the meeting ended he’d gone back to Dok2’s studio and they’d spent an hour discussing everything. He’d told him if he wanted to make money for his family, this was his best option, and the quickest.

All he has to do is make the decision. He’s pretty sure he’s going to go for the evaluations, at any rate, because if he doesn’t pass them then he’s freaking himself out over nothing.
 



It’s been a week since Hanbin has heard anything about his group, and they’ve settled themselves back into a daily schedule of training. It’s the only thing they can do right now, continue where they were before Seungjae’s dismissal.

He throws himself into it, directing performances and writing new songs. He’s stubbornly continued to write two rap verses into each song, not willing to give up on the idea of finding a replacement. He’s playing the demo version for Jinhwan and Donghyuk. The others have already gone home, but the three of them have remained behind to go over some ideas for choreography, and now Hanbin’s playing them a few songs.

“Have you heard anything about finding a replacement?” Jinhwan asks him after they finish listening, and Hanbin shakes his head.

“Have you asked Bobby if he’d be interested, hyung?” Donghyuk innocently asks the question, and Hanbin swallows nervously. He’s been wondering if any of them would ask. He tries not to contemplate it, but every night when he attempts to fall asleep he can’t help but think of filling the void of Seungjae’s absence with Bobby. He’s not sure if Junhoe would be keen on sharing a room with the pair of them, but the bed is already there, right next to Hanbin’s.

He looks at Donghyuk and shakes his head. “I don’t think Bobby would be interested in being an idol. He’s too used to the freedom, you know?”

Donghyuk shrugs and grins at Jinhwan before returning his attention to Hanbin. “Yeah, but it can’t hurt to ask, right? We all really liked him when we met him.”

Hanbin wishes he could tell Donghyuk to stop talking about it, because it hurts his heart so much to think that there’s a simple, easy way to have Bobby around all the time. But it’s just not realistic. Bobby isn’t used to life as a trainee, and he’d be so far behind them in terms of training. “I wish it could be that easy, Dong-ie.”

“You guys would make an amazing pair on stage together,” Jinhwan adds, and he wonders how often Hanbin thinks about the possibility.

Hanbin bites his lip. “Yeah, I know that. But he probably can’t dance. He’s never had training.”

“He could learn,” Donghyuk says, “Jinani hyung and I could take turns helping him so you don’t have to!”

“Might make it a little less awkward,” Jinhwan adds, watching Hanbin’s face.

Hanbin just nods. He wants it so bad, for Bobby to join his group. But he’s worried about what would happen if he did. Could Bobby take his direction and keep it impersonal? Or would he hurt his feelings, and fracture what they have?

“You could always ask Woosung instead,” Jinhwan jokes, and that at least makes Hanbin smile.