|| n i n e

Boomerang

Two days had passed since the scandal news. The Park had already responded and acted on the police report made against Jihoon. Their representative had told the public that an investigation was going on and they needed statement from both sides. They also warned the public to not make any speculation without any evidence as they were going to take action against malicious comment involving Jihoon, the Park family and Ennoia. Aeri still had not heard anything from Jihoon since two days ago. She was expecting him to bother her for the engagement, but he never did which made Aeri wondered. He was absent from work too. Even though Aeri did not love him, she was worried about his well-being. Furthermore, she knew he was innocent.

Aeri never tell anyone about the real situation, knowing that there would be possibility to mend the engagement between the two of them. She already had her fill being happy over the broken engagement, but the guilt came to her again. Her mind was bothered for the last two days because of it. She wanted to tell Nara, but she was informed by Nara’s assistant that she was currently in Paris for work. Aeri knew she could never talk about it to Sungwoon, given that he was already satisfied with the situation for the time-being. She could not turn to her cousins and their wives too because it was not something they need to worry. Aeri ended up being frustrated alone.

It was 3 pm. Aeri missed her lunch that day. Her work progress was a bit slow compared to the previous days as she kept pausing while thinking of a way to put the scandal to an end. She was in the middle of reviewing the Seoul Fashion Week report prepared by her team when there was a knock on the door. Aeri looked up with a frown on her forehead. She wondered about the person who knock on the door because usually, Hyemi will tell her if anyone wanted to see her. Nonetheless, Aeri allowed that person inside.

“Come in.” Jinyoung’s face appeared behind the door. He flashed his charming smile at her. In his hand, there was a black-coloured file.

“Good evening, Miss Aeri. I’m sorry I have to knock because Hyemi is not at her table. She’s probably went to the pantry or toilet.” Jinyoung said as he made his way inside, heading to Aeri’s office table. Aeri nodded her head at the information.

“Oh, it’s okay then. What brings you here?” Aeri asked as she eyed the file he was holding. Jinyoung opened the file and laid it in front of her. Aeri looked down to see it. Her eyes brightened at the collection of pictures captured by Jinyoung at Seoul Fashion Week three days ago.

“I would like to show you the result of the events. I hope you’re satisfied with it. I showed it to Mr. Lee just now and he told me to show it to you right away.” He said while clasping his hands in front, waiting for her comment.

“What did he say?” Aeri asked as she flipped the pages in amusement.

“He said I did a great job and he wants to hear your comment on it. If you’re satisfied with it, we’re going to use it for the article in next issue.” Jinyoung answered. He was nervous waiting for Aeri’s opinion on his work. Usually he would show it to Daehwi only and Daehwi will bring his work to Aeri but this time, Daehwi asked him to do it by himself. Jinyoung did not know why because Daehwi was actually not fond of the idea of leaving Jinyoung and Aeri alone. Little did he know, Daehwi wanted him to hear Aeri’s compliment for his hard work and talent because he deserved it.

Aeri closed the file with a loud sound, startling Jinyoung who was already on his nerve. She looked up to see Jinyoung who was standing stiffly in front of her with a proud smile. Her eyes were filled with admiration. Jinyoung noticed the look she gave but he could not look at it straight in her eyes because only God knows what was going to happen to his poor heart.

“To say that I’m satisfied with it is an understatement, Jinyoung. I really love your work this time. This is even better that the previous one. You did a very good job. This department is so lucky to have you, Jinyoung.” She complimented him sincerely. Jinyoung’s face and ears flushed red upon her compliment. His heart was jumping on its place. He was jovial to hear that from her.

“Ah, thank you, Miss Aeri.” He bowed, humbly. His smile reached his ears. He was pursing his lips too to hold back himself from getting too excited in front of her. Aeri nodded her head in acknowledgement. Their head turned to the door after a knock was heard. Daehwi’s face appeared with a grin on his face.

“I see that you’ve seen his work, boss.” He said and walked towards them. Jinyoung sighed silently. He knew it that Daehwi could not stand the fact that he was alone with Aeri. Daehwi glanced at Jinyoung to see his reaction at his arrival. He laughed mentally as he noticed Jinyoung’s lips went down into a straight line.

“Yes, Daehwi. I told him I love it. We can use it for next issue. Make sure to include a lot of it. I don’t mind if we need extra pages for it since it’s Seoul Fashion Week special.” Aeri replied. Daehwi nodded his head.

“Noted, boss!” Daehwi said as he reached the file from Aeri’s table.

“Boss, I know you haven’t had your lunch.” Daehwi spoke up, eyeing Aeri who was caught in the act. Aeri could only sigh meanwhile Jinyoung was observing them silently.

“I am not done with them, Daehwi.” She explained but it sounded like a whining to them as she showed Daehwi the file she had around her. Daehwi shook his head in disapproval.

“Still, you shouldn’t skip your lunch. What if you fall sick? You hate it so much, right? But you’re calling for it.” Daehwi started to nag so Aeri quickly raised her hands up to surrender.

“Alright, alright. Don’t give me headache anymore. I’ll eat.” Daehwi smirked in victory. He turned to look at the quiet Jinyoung beside him as he thought of an idea.

“What do you say if we treat Jinyoung for his great job? I know you know he deserved more than that but let’s give him this.” Daehwi suggested to Aeri which flustered Jinyoung. Aeri raised her eyebrows at that then shifted her eyes towards Jinyoung.

“Great idea. Ever since two days ago, your work is the one that make me the happiest. So, why not? Plus, someone told me to not skip lunch so let’s get done with it.” Aeri answered. Daehwi laughed because he knew Aeri was talking about him. Jinyoung’s eyes were widened in disbelief because the woman of his dream was asking him to eat together, even though it was suggested by his best friend.

“What do you say, Jinyoung?” Daehwi asked, hitting Jinyoung’s arm lightly along the process. Jinyoung was snapped back to reality. He looked at the two of them for a moment before clearing his throat to answer.

“Sure. It’s my pleasure.” Daehwi smiled in triumph.

“Perfect! Let’s go, boss. Just leave it here. It’s not going to run. If it runs, Jinyoung can chase it for you.” Daehwi joked around while earned a glare from Jinyoung and a giggle from Aeri which automatically melted Jinyoung’s heart and ears.

“Fine, fine. Let’s go.” Aeri said while grabbing her handbag. The three of them walked out of the office and headed towards the lift while discussing on where they wanted to eat, given that Aeri was still wanted by the reporters. In the end, they decided to dine in at Glossa, a café belonged to Jaehwan which was suggested by Aeri as she claimed she could book a room for them. Jinyoung and Daehwi agreed and they went there with Daehwi’s car. It was not that difficult to reach the parking lot with Aeri wearing her spectacle which mesmerized Jinyoung as he thought she looked cute in that. The number of reporters were decreasing as well but they could not miss the possibility of them lurking around the building.

Nevertheless, they reached the café without much attraction and enjoyed the food while sharing their thoughts on random things. Aeri and Jinyoung did not know that Daehwi planned it all for Jinyoung. Even though he did not approve Jinyoung’s reaction towards what happened to Jihoon, he knew Jinyoung meant well towards Aeri. Daehwi could see it through his behaviour which remained the same around Aeri. He was still the hopeless guy who watched his crush from far so Daehwi decided to push him a little bit. Beside that, Jinyoung worked hard and did a great job. As a friend and the fashion director of Ennoia, Daehwi thought Jinyoung deserved this as a reward. He knew Jinyoung did not mind getting treated for lunch if it was with Aeri.

Daehwi laughed mentally. If he was the one treating Jinyoung, that latter will probably complaint non-stop. He shook his head at that image as he saw that Jinyoung was starting to loosen up around Aeri. Aeri was listening attentively too. Daehwi smiled in satisfaction as he gifted one happiness for his best friend that day. Did not want to be left out, Daehwi joined the talk which was welcomed by Aeri and Jinyoung.

Two days passed. The scandal was slowly subsiding. The police had released a statement which concluded that the report against Jihoon was not valid. The Park family also mentioned that they will solve the matter confidentially. The reporters still could not locate Jihoon and Aeri to have their response upon this issue. There was rumour about Aeri’s presence in the Ennoia building but they still could not trace her. Hence a lot of them gave up on it, leaving others who were persistent in getting the scope they wanted. Aeri was aware of the situation. Ever since the scandal broke out, Daniel had been sending her to the office and picked her up as well. She was thankful that Daniel was willing to help her. She was starting to enjoy the drive back and forth with him too.

Sungwoon would check on her everyday through text and call. He was not worried that Aeri was being taken care by Daniel. Sometimes he wished to pick her up, but Aeri reminded him that it might raised suspicion from Chairwoman Kang especially when Sungwoon’s focus should be his wife instead of Aeri. Jisung, Dongho, Seongwu and Minhyun did check on her too when they had time. They were aware of Aeri’s feeling towards Jihoon, thanks to Jisung who did not want them to bother her about Jihoon. Ahra, Harin and Jiyeon showed their concerned too. Aeri was grateful for their attention. She felt bad too when she admitted for not having feeling for Jihoon to them. But they were so nice and did not blame her for acting so. Aeri swore she could never find a better family other than them. Chairwoman Kang was still not over the issue. Everyday she would criticize whatever decision taking by the Parks, thinking it was not effective. Aeri could only keep silent from the side.

Aeri was almost done editing the article submitted to her when she received a call. She refused to answer it because she wanted to finish her task in one go but the caller was persistent than her. Aeri turned her head to look at the caller. Her heart dropped upon seeing the name of the caller. She quickly reached for her phone and answered it, her heart hammered inside her chest. The first thing she heard through the phone was his heavy breath.

“Aeri…” He called her, making Aeri’s breath hitched. She was waiting for his call, but she did not know why she was nervous.

“How are you?” Aeri asked. She had been wondering about that for days and she needed the answer.

“I miss you. I can’t live without you.” His cracked voice accompanied his answer. Aeri knew he was going to break down.

“Don’t do this to yourself, Jihoon.” Aeri was sorry that Jihoon loved her that much. She was at the end of her wit, thinking of words to say to make Jihoon stop torturing himself.

“I tried, Aeri. This feeling is more than you imagine.” He continued. Aeri was left speechless.

“Hey, I leave you like for two minutes and you’re calling her already.” Aeri’s eyebrows scrunched at another voice she heard. The voice sounded familiar to Aeri.

“Go away.” She heard Jihoon said monotonously at the other person.

“No, Jihoon.” The other person refused. There was a silent after that, making Aeri curious of what happened between them.

“Hello? Aeri-ya, I’m sorry on his behalf. Did he disturb you? Are you busy?” Aeri was trying hard to put a finger on the voice. She knew that voice and the tone he used. After a few seconds, her mind was able to connect the voice and the owner. She smiled excitedly.

“Woojin, is that you?” The person whom Aeri claimed as Woojin chuckled deeply.

“Who else, Aeri? It’s me!”

“Oh my God! When did you return?” Aeri was delighted to hear from Woojin, Jihoon’s twin who was living in New York. It had been a long time since she heard from him. The last encounter they had was on her engagement day and the last news she heard about him was when she asked about him from Jihoon months ago.

“Am home as soon as my mom called and told me about Jihoon. It’s been three days if I’m not mistaken.”

“Ah, it’s good he has you with him at times like this.” Aeri replied. She was really grateful that Woojin was there to keep Jihoon in check. She was sure Jihoon was not emotionally stable yet.

“You’re right. Who else can knock some sense in this guy’s head?” Aeri smiled softly at his answer.

“Don’t be too full of yourself.” Aeri heard Jihoon spoke up.

“Shut up. I’m going to punish you for calling Aeri.” Aeri could not help but to cackle at their words exchange. She loved it that Woojin was the same person she knew since college. They were not close, but they interacted enough to know each other.

“How is he doing? Coping well?” Aeri asked, referring to Jihoon. She needed to know from another view to understand Jihoon’s condition.

“Not really. For starter, he is not over you. I’m going to punish you for making him crazy for you.” Woojin’s reply triggered Jihoon which surprised Aeri when his voice interrupted.

“Don’t you dare!”

“Oh, shut up, Jihoon!

“Don’t be too harsh on him, Woojin.” Aeri requested which caused Woojin on the other side to smirk and raised his eyebrows.

“Oh, you do care about him, huh? Don’t worry, Aeri. I’m doing what a brother should. Moreover, you know he’s stubborn like you.”

“Did he told you what I asked him to do?”

“Yeah, he did, while crying a river.” Aeri bit her lips as an image of crying Jihoon from four days ago came to her mind.

“Please persuade him to save that woman. I’ve been reading the news and comments. It’s not safe for her.”

“You know it’s not easy for him, Aeri but well, I’ll try. Maybe you can guide me later.”

“Anytime, Woojin.” Aeri answered without hesitation. It made Woojin curious.

“You care about him but why did you do this to him?” Aeri looked down while sighing upon the question.

“I can’t bear hurting him anymore, Woojin. I just don’t feel the same. I don’t want this engagement in the first place.” Aeri confessed. She might be contented with the outcome from the scandal in regard of the engagement, but she felt bad for what was coming to Jihoon. That was why she cared about him at time like this. Woojin sighed at her answer. He knew it too that it could not be helped that Aeri did not feel the same as Jihoon since their engagement was arranged by their family.

“I understand. Then I’ll keep in touch with you, is that okay?”

“And I can’t?” Jihoon’s voice appeared again. Aeri wondered what Jihoon was doing or thinking while she was talking with Woojin. Woojin hushed him which Aeri assumed he complied as he was not talking anymore.

“Alright, Woojin. Thank you.”

“No big deal. Take care.” Aeri hummed as a reply before ending the call. She allowed herself a sigh as she leaned her forehead on her crossed arms on the table. Her heart felt lighter after the call. She was so grateful that Jihoon was in Woojin’s care and Woojin was willing to comply to her suggestion. She hoped Jihoon will get his mind straight in the near future and made the right decision. Because with that, Aeri could finally be freed from the guilt that came to her like a virus.