|| s i x t e e n

Boomerang

The library Aeri loved to spend her leisure time had become the most dreaded room to her. It was the same room her engagement with Jihoon were cut and it will be same room that will witness her punishment announcement. Aeri stood nervously in front of Chairwoman Kang who was watching her from head to toes. The older woman was observing her reaction on this matter. Aeri was looking at everywhere except her grandmother and it was very much understood on why she did so. She was scared of the punishment even though she tried to comfort herself that it might be nothing serious. Chairwoman Kang cleared after observing her only granddaughter for a good two minutes. Aeri’s shoulder jumped a bit at it but she recovered fast. Her attention was now on her grandmother.

“So I’ve decided what your punishment will be.” Chairwoman Kang started. Aeri gulped at that. She had her hands clasped in front of her abdomen. She made no comment as she was waiting for the stern lady in front of her to continue.

“I’m marrying you off to Daniel.” With a calm tone, Chairwoman Kang finally revealed the punishment to Aeri. The word ‘marry’ disappointed Aeri because it was the first thing she wished to not going to happen but after knowing the man she was going to marry, she was taken aback. Her heart skipped a beat due to the shock. She took a step back while shaking her head.

“No way! Grandma, do you hear yourself?” Aeri questioned in disbelief. Chairwoman Kang shook her head with a smirk on her face, making Aeri even more surprised. She could not believe her grandmother could make such decision.

“Both of you are not blood related so there will be no problem. Plus, Daniel has to get married to be officially announced as the chairman of The K’s. I’m planning on retiring.” Chairwoman Kang explained. Aeri could not disagree on the part where Daniel had to get married to be the chairman. In their world, getting married or we could say, being committed reflected one’s credibility in business as well. It was not just being smart, opportunist and rich. That was why there were a lot of arranged marriage among them. However, Aeri could not understand why it had to be her.

“I know but you can find another girl, grandma.”

“And I chose you.” Chairwoman Kang was unfazed by Aeri’s constant refusal.

“You know we are like siblings.”

“I can see both of you get along as husband and wife.”

“No! It’s just siblings love between us.” Chairwoman Kang started to frown at Aeri’s persistence. The old lady started to suspect something, thanks to her instinct.

“Why are you so against this?”

“Because this is wrong!” Aeri was getting frustrated and she could not help but to raise her voice unintentionally.

“Then who should I marry you off? You don’t think people want to be involved with you after everything, right? Not when you’re still with Ennoia.” Aeri wanted to argue on the first sentence that her grandmother could choose a different punishment for her other than marrying her off, but she frowned hard at the mention of the company.

“You are mentioning my job now?” Aeri could not believe her grandmother was threatening her now. She knew it was not a wise choice to remain at Ennoia after she broke up with Jihoon. She was supposed to leave her job since their family were not in good term. However, Aeri loved her job very much so Chairwoman Kang allowed her to stay. This made people confused of what was happening between Aeri and Jihoon. Most of them thought that Jihoon was cheating on her and she stayed because she loved him, still.

Chairwoman Kang shrugged her shoulder, unbothered by her own act towards her only granddaughter.

“It’s your choice. This is a punishment you have to abide to, nonetheless. And you are never against any arrangement I made for you.” Chairwoman Kang raised her suspicion by the last statement. Aeri caught it and fortunately, she thought of something to divert the topic.

“Did Daniel oppa agreed to this?”

“I told him about this, and he agreed.” Aeri felt attacked by the new information. She wished she was dreaming but too bad, Aeri was someone who had a strong hold on reality. She knew it was real and she had a problem trying to take it in.

“No way! What did you tell him?”

“Song Aeri, what are you suggesting? I am your grandma.” Chairwoman Kang was offended that Aeri assumed she threatened Daniel just like she did to Aeri. Even though she threatened Aeri about it but it was disrespectful of Aeri to accuse her.

“And I am your only granddaughter.” Aeri made a comeback. They looked at each other in fury. If it could be visualized, Aeri’s flame was bigger than Chairwoman Kang. One push and she was ready to explode. A silent filled the hot room for a few moments as the grandmother and granddaughter were fighting through stare. Aeri’s shoulders were moving up and down in a fast manner as she was controlling her emotion.

“Whatever. I’ll ask Daniel oppa.” Aeri bowed and left the room. She did not spare any glance at Chairwoman Kang. A loud thud fought the silent in the room as the door smashed close. Chairwoman Kang did not utter a single word after Aeri’s reply. She was in a deep thought on the reason Aeri was rebelling and was against her decision. She was reminded of the time when she told Aeri about her engagement with Jihoon. The Aeri back then was obedient and had a smile at the announcement, making Chairwoman Kang thought that Aeri liked Jihoon as her fiancé. She never uttered a word of refusal at her grandmother’s decision. This was the first time Aeri did so and it made Chairwoman Kang wondered. Scrunching her eyebrows, she reached for her phone to contact a private spy she hired to follow Aeri. She hired the spy for years already but never asked for anything from him because she trusted Aeri. Aeri had been a good girl all these years so why bother investigating her? Now that Aeri had caused trouble and was acting suspicious, she would like to know the underlying cause and little did she know, it was the perfect time to contact the spy.

Aeri always knocked on her cousin’s door whenever she wanted to see him but that was not the case today. She could not help to barge in the room where she saw Daniel was in front of his laptop, wearing a dark blue coloured pajama. Daniel who was previously focused turned his head to see the raging Aeri in front of his door. Both of them looked at each other before Daniel darted his eyes back to the laptop screen.

“You heard about it.” He said. Aeri felt like exploding right away at that statement. She dashed towards him and stopped right beside him, trying to control her anger. She needed an explanation, there was no way she would let her emotion took over before receiving it.

“Why did you agree on it?” Aeri wasted no time asking him the golden question. Daniel’s body went stiff upon the question. His control on the mouse he was holding was halted for a second, but he tried to cover it up by acting calm.

“It’s grandma’s wish.” He simply answered. His tone sounded calm, but his heart was thumping hard as he knew he had the actual reason in his head.

“So what? You should obey like a robot?”

“You did the same with Jihoon.” Daniel argued, acting as if he cared less about it. Aeri was getting frustrated from his act and reply. She was certain there was something behind his decision, but he refused to tell her the reason. Aeri wanted to at least understand why it must be her.

“You know it’s different.”

“There’s no difference between you and me.” Aeri was speechless at that. Her eyes were starting to lose focus. She finally calmed herself by taking in a deep breath. She suddenly felt tired from the raging she was having just now.

“Why are you doing this? Is the chairman position that important that you sacrifice your marriage life?” Her question this time eventually obtained a reaction from Daniel who let out a huff as he turned to face her. They met eyes this time and Aeri was getting uncomfortable from the look Daniel was giving her. His eyes were telling her that she was being unfair to presume such thing. Aeri was surrounded by guilt after that.

“It’s not about that.”

“Then what?”

“Why can’t you just go with it?” Daniel was evading the question by asking her another question which obviously successfully took her attention from her previous question. Aeri frowned as she took a step back, looking at Daniel who demanded something ridiculous to her.

“Are you crazy? Marrying you? This will only worsen the situation.”

“It’s not. Trust me.”

“Don’t say that. I know what I’m expecting with this plan.” Aeri said, refusing to believe the reassurance given.

This time, it was Daniel who was speechless. He knew so well that Aeri was right. Nothing good was certain to happen in the future. The marriage he was going for could only a few things but was not going to save the issue surrounding Aeri. Daniel did wonder what was going on his grandmother’s head too when she proposed the idea, but he chose to agree because he felt obliged, after thinking of the outcomes. Daniel allowed himself to sigh. Aeri shook her head at his lack of response.

“Are you not going to change your mind?” Aeri threw her last question for the day.

“I’m sorry, Aeri.” That was the only answer Daniel could utter. He wished he could explain to her, but he thought it was for the best. If he told her the reason, Aeri would surely try to suggest another way out and Daniel knew it would be hopeless no matter what. His heart ached when he saw Aeri shaking her head and she stepped back a few more steps.

“I can’t believe you.” Aeri said her last word before she stormed off the room. Daniel could only follow with his eyes. He looked down after the door slammed shut. He sighed again, regardless of how many times he did so that day. He really needed to pour out his heart content right now. As much as it was frustrating Aeri, it was frustrating him too. He knew he would be judged for marrying her, but he would risk it for her sake. If only she knows, Daniel said to himself. He cupped his face with his hands for a moment, trying to clear his mind from the previous argument he had with Aeri. Putting down his hands, he reached for his phone to contact the two closest persons to him.

“Are you sure about this?” Jisung observed Daniel’s face, making sure the younger one was definite with his decision. He had doubt about Daniel’s decision, but he knew Daniel since they were kids. He saw him grew up to be a wise man who lead The K’s. There was some time where Daniel made mistakes, but he learnt from it to improve himself. Jisung watched all that with his own eyes and to doubt Daniel’s decision made him worry. He was conflicted on whether to trust his decision or not. Daniel nodded his head quietly upon the question. He was looking forward, but his eyes darted to the side when he heard a heavy sigh from Seongwu. The three of them were currently in a lounge of an exclusive bar in Gangnam where their privacy was secured. It was attended by people of high status who seek for entertainment and relaxation without having to worry if the world was watching them.

“This is a mess.” Seongwu said as he combed his hair out of frustration. Jisung nodded as he thought the same too. He turned to look at Daniel who was swirling the glass in his hand.

“What cause you to agree on this?” Upon that question, Daniel was reminded of Aeri’s question. It was the same question even though the words arrangement were different. Before, he could not explain to Aeri but when he looked at Jisung who was watching him with concern in his eyes, Daniel’s heart softened. He was ready to open up about it, knowing that he can rely on him.

“I just want to protect her.”

“You know you can do it in another way.” Jisung stated the obvious. Even though Daniel was giving him the answer, he knew the man had something behind his words.

“Not when she’s not under my power.” Seongwu hummed and nodded his head.

“I can see where you’re going.” He commented before sipping his drink. Jisung let out a sigh. He thought the same too, but he was still worried over this matter.

“This is going to strain your relationship with her.” He warned beforehand but Daniel only shrugged his shoulder.

“It’s fine. She yelled at me today, anyway.” Seongwu chuckled. Of course, it was an expected reaction from Aeri.

“She did, huh?” Daniel nodded his head to confirm.

“She’s mad because I refuse to change my mind.” Upon remembering the scene from this evening, Daniel somehow felt sad. He wanted to tell them his perplexed feeling but decided to ignore it.

“She should have.” Jisung responded.

“I’m telling you both about this so that I know you two got my back in this matter.”

“We are, Niel. But you have to know that we will agree with Aeri too if anything.” Seongwu reminded him. After all, all of them were close since child. To take side was unfair of them, knowing that the soon-to-happen marriage has its pros and cons. Certainly, the wise Daniel was aware of this as well.

“I don’t mind as long as you two know the truth behind my decision.” Jisung pursed his lips into a straight line. Seemed like there was nothing he could do to alter Daniel’s decision.

“When is the wedding, then?” He asked to fill himself with the details of the arranged marriage. Knowing his grandmother, he was sure the wedding will be soon regardless of Aeri’s disagreement. Seongwu nodded his head and looked at Daniel with curiosity and interest in his eyes.

“Grandma told me it’s going to be in three-month time.” Jisung was taken aback by the information.

“That’s so soon!”

“Aye, it’s just nice, hyung. They need to prepare for the wedding. Of course, she wants the best for Daniel.” Seongwu grinned at his own comment. He meant to tease Daniel about it. It was a given that Daniel got the special treatment out of Chairwoman Kang’s grandchildren. He was the only one, aside from Dongho who fitted the qualification as the next heir of The K’s. As someone who was going to take over, he was showered with attention so their grandmother will make sure the public will define him as a perfection. However, Daniel did not take the teasing well. He was uncomfortable enough all these times to be treated differently from his other cousins.

“Don’t say that, hyung. Grandma loves us the same.” Daniel said while frowning which earned a chuckle from Seongwu.

“Whatever flow your boat, Niel.” He again, this time dismissing his stern belief. Jisung hit him on the shoulder for messing with Daniel. As the eldest, he understood what Daniel felt. Daniel mentioned to him before that he was guilty for being chosen as the heir because Jisung was the eldest, but he was not chosen to be one. It was a lie if Jisung told them he was not interested to inherit The K’s, but he knew his own potential. Plus, he was supposed to inherit his father’s sport equipment business even though concurrently he held the position as Marketing Director in The K’s. Seongwu and Sungwoon were the same as they held the position of Fashion Director and Advertising Director respectively. Both of them has their father’s business to inherit hence they were not keen on Daniel’s position.

Daniel shook his head as he watched Seongwu yelped in pain but continued to laugh at him. He sipped on his drink again while Jisung rolled his eyes at Seongwu. He wanted to continue their conversation just now but as he glanced at the still-troubled Daniel, he decided to put it on hold. Upon seeing Daniel’s empty glass, he poured some more drink in the younger’s glass making Seongwu whined because he was being biased. Jisung would like to kick Seongwu out of the room but looking at Daniel who was smirking at his hyung’s childish nonsense, Jisung saved the idea. Perhaps, all they could do was to support him.

What was the difference between Song Aeri and volcano? Volcano erupted and released lava which burns the surrounding but Song Aeri teared up which burns her cheeks. Even though she was in rage at Daniel’s room, she was the complete opposite of it in her room. At last, the hard-headed Aeri broke down on her bed after her punishment was announced and it reminded her of the time she was punished because she refused to get out of her room when a guest came when she was 15.

Song Aeri was adopted when she was a baby. She grew up thinking everyone was her real family, though she knew her parents were gone until she was 15, when she was told to behave accordingly because the family did not want to hide her identity from people in their world. The late Chairman Kang did not want people to use the hidden fact to go against them. It was the breaking and turning point of her life. Since then, she was expected to excel in everything she did. She was sent for many classes just to make sure she survived the world they were living. The world of the riches.

Being 15 and smart, she knew she could not disappoint the family, not when they did so much to give her a better life. She was grateful and for that, she obeyed to every single instruction and agreed to every decision made for her including being engaged to Park Jihoon, despite the fact that she was in love with Sungwoon at that time. Being in love with Sungwoon was an impulse, she thought it was enough to rebel like that because she had been a good girl. But as time passed, she realized she had fallen too deep that she wished the engagement did not happened. After almost two years being trapped in a hopeless engagement, she finally broke free from it. She was supposed to be happy after that, with Sungwoon but it seemed like God has another plan for her. And that was what makes her upset.

All she ever wanted in life was to love the man she chose to love with all her heart without much difficulties. If she ever lost the family, she only has him. That was why she was keen on the fact that all she had was Sungwoon even though the latter did not agree with it. However, she was now facing the most difficult time of her life, where she was lost in making decision. She could not stay true to the other side of her who obeyed everything her grandmother told her. She refused to, because she was at her limit. But she realized she was powerless too. That made her even more upset.

If only she has power on her life, if only she was not indebted to the family, if only Sungwoon was not married and many other ‘if only’ kept playing in her head. Therefore, her tear dam finally broke and she cried to her heart content on the bed. Her hand was clutching her phone. She was contemplating on whether to call Sungwoon or not. After a minute, she decided to dial his number and waited for him to answer while sobbing quietly.

“Hello, baby.” Sungwoon’s gentle and soft voice greeted her. Her silent sob was ringing right after she heard him, making Sungwoon worried when he heard it.

“Why are you crying? Grandma told you about the punishment already?” He asked in panic. Just like Aeri, Sungwoon was nervous for the punishment too because no one knew what was going on in their grandmother’s mind. That was why she was scary to everyone in the family. No one dare to go against her especially when she held so much power.

“Oppa, grandma… grandma… She wants me to marry Daniel oppa.” Aeri broke the news and Sungwoon did not take the news well.

“What?! Daniel as in Kang Daniel? Our Daniel?”

“Yes, oppa. Oh my God, help me, oppa. I really don’t want this. I don’t want to do this anymore.” Aeri continued to pour out her feeling to Sungwoon. Sungwoon understood her words right away. She did not want another arranged marriage and she certainly did not want it to be with Daniel.

“This is insane! What’s going on in her mind?” Sungwoon on the other line was starting to be consumed by fume. He was walking back and forth in his bedroom. His mind went haywire at the news.

“I don’t know, oppa. I don’t know what to do now.” Aeri sobbed again and it broke Sungwoon’s heart to hear that. The both of them remained silent for a moment, except that Aeri was crying while Sungwoon was regaining his calmness. He had to be calm to comfort Aeri even though he could not cope well with it.

“Alright, babe. Calm down first. Take a deep breath. Don’t cry anymore. My heart hurts from it. I need you to calm down, then we’ll talk. Take a deep breath.” Sungwoon guided Aeri to calm which she tried and after a few try, she was able to stop her sobbing. All she was doing now was sniffing.

“That’s it, love. Okay, now, I need you to calm first. Grandma is probably doing this without much thinking. I mean, what is the benefit from this marriage?”

“She wanted to pass the chairman position to Daniel oppa, so Daniel oppa have to get married. You know this is my punishment. This is a benefit to her and Daniel oppa.” Aeri explained to him with so much bitterness in her voice. It hurts to admit to a misery especially our own misery.

“That sounds ridiculous, okay? Will this make it alright with your recent scandal? They already removed any news about you as if they never exist. So, what’s the point?” Sungwoon mentioned the obvious. Aeri thought the same. She could not find any answer to that. Only her grandmother knows what was going to come and because of that, Aeri was afraid.

“Let’s have you to persuade grandma about her decision, okay? Is that alright with you? I am sure you can discuss about this with her again.” Sungwoon suggested a solution to salvage the situation. He could not imagine seeing Aeri getting married to his own cousin. It was more hurtful than seeing her with Jihoon.

“Do you think she will listen to me?” Aeri asked. She was having a little hope in Sungwoon’s suggestion.

“We’ll never know unless we try, sweetheart.” Listening to that, Aeri magically was comforted by his words.

“It’s sad that I can’t make a decision for my life. All I want is to marry the man I love and I only have you.” Aeri poured out her feeling. Sungwoon understood her feeling very well. Even though he was only watching her from the side, he knew how upsetting it was for her to have her life controlled without much choices. Sungwoon was in complex too. He could not think of a way to solve this. He knew both of them would unable to survive if they go against their grandmother’s order.

“It’s alright, dear. We’ll try this first and we’ll figure everything later, okay? I am sure that one day we will gain the happiness we wished for. For now, you need ask for forgiveness from grandma for your wrong-doing and insist on redeeming your mistake with any other way except for this arranged-marriage. Is that understood?” Sungwoon continued to comfort his beloved and suggested some ideas while he was at it. Even though he sounded like he was composed, he was in rage inside. He was mad that Daniel agreed to the idea. At that moment, the thought that Daniel might actually had a feeling for Aeri crossed his mind and it made him hissed to himself. Luckily, Aeri did not caught that. He did not want to give the idea to Aeri. It was enough she thought it was for Daniel’s own benefit.
Aeri hummed as a reply. Now that she had stopped crying and her heart was comforted by the little hope given by Sungwoon, she was calmed from her storm just now. She was grateful that she had him at a time like this. Sungwoon was indeed one in a million and she felt lucky to have him in her life.

“Thank you, oppa. For staying. It’s difficult but you’re still here. Thank you for holding on.”

“Aeri, we’re in this together. I chose you and I will take responsibility for it. Plus, you’re not a burden. You’re an adventure to me which I enjoy a lot. So don’t feel bad, okay? I will always be here for you, precious. I love you with all my heart and I won’t regret giving my heart to you.” Aeri smiled in bliss at his sweet words. Knowing that Sungwoon was ready to go through ups and downs with her warmed her heart to the core.

“I love you more, oppa.” Aeri replied, simply. Both of them were at different location but they were having a blessed smile on their face. Their heart was warm, thanks to each other’s words.

“It’s late already. I think you need to have a good sleep tonight. You cried just now. We know what happened to your face tomorrow if you cried tonight.” Aeri groaned at his remark. Now she regretted that she cried before calling Sungwoon. If only she call Sungwoon first and was comforted like he did just now, she would not cry and have a puffy eyes the next day. She hated that look on her face.

“Why did I cry in the first place? I’m so stupid. I’m going to be ugly tomorrow.” She whined to herself which made Sungwoon chuckled at that.

“Yes, ugly and I will still love you. Don’t think about it too much. I’m going to check on you tomorrow. Make sure to take care of yourself and inform me if there’s anything, okay? Good night, baby. Take care.” Aeri could only sigh upon his advice. Being a good girlfriend, she decided to listen to his words if that could comfort his heart. Aeri knew Sungwoon was bothered by her issue as much as she was worried about it as well. Hence, she wanted to say only good words to him. Without any objection, Aeri complied with his advice.

“Good night to you too, oppa. Sleep tight, sweet dream!” She replied cheerfully before both of them ended the call. Sungwoon was all smiley after he heard that from his girlfriend. Even though the call has ended, the smile lingered on his face. It was a usual sight of Sungwoon after he was done calling Aeri. She made him smile even at the slightest thing and that made him realized how deep she was in love with her.

Turning around to head to his bed, he was stunned when he saw a figure of his wife at the door. Jinhee was standing there in her night gown but that was not the thing that gained Sungwoon’s attention. It was the tears that was dribbling on her cheeks and her silent sobs that caught his attention. Sungwoon’s heart made a leap on its place. Watching Jinhee’s reaction, he knew she heard his conversation with Aeri and obviously, she knew their secret. Sungwoon was about to ask her when Jinhee stepped back and closed the door with a loud thud. It made Sungwoon closed his eyes in frustration as he combed his hair with both of his hands. He already had too much on his plate and now Jinhee was added onto it.