|| f o u r t e e n

Boomerang

It was Monday already and Song Aeri woke up with a groan. Since the latest scandal involving her was spread nationwide and her cover blew up, she was unable to go to office in disguise anymore which means, she had to stay at home for the time being. Chairwoman Kang did not suggest her to do so but Aeri knew better. She did not want the same mistake repeats. Aeri blinked her eyes and reached for her phone. She looked at the time to see she woke up later than the usual. It was 9 o’clock in the morning. In her mind, she was thinking of her staffs who were able to go to the office to work. She envied them for that but she what choice she had at time like this? Aeri threw a raspberry while she tapped here and there on her phone to text Daehwi since he was the next one in charge of the department.

The Boss:
You know what’s going on. I’m on leave for the time being. If there is anything, please update to me.

Aeri smirked as she saw that Daehwi had read and was typing to reply her. She guessed it was still early for him to start focusing on his work.

Sassy Daehwi:
I know. You don’t have to worry about anything, boss. I got it under control.
Btw, I’m sorry for suggesting the dinner and the Hongdae outing.
Idk it can be misunderstood like this.

Aeri sighed at that. It was not Daehwi’s fault that she was caught with Jinyoung which lead to the scandal. To her, Daehwi and Jinyoung were kind enough to entertain her whims. The three of them were just victims to paparazzi’s selfish decision.

The Boss:
It’s okay, Daehwi. It’s not your fault.
I enjoyed Jinyoung and your company.
It’s just I hate it when the press twisted it to be that way.

Sassy Daehwi:
Ikr. I hope you’re okay.

The Boss:
I am. Don’t worry 😊
I think it’s time for you to focus on your work.
Will get to you if there’s anything.
And don’t forget to update me, okay?

Sassy Daehwi:
Noted, boss!

The chat ended like that. Aeri exit the chat room and scrolled down the many notifications she had on her phone. She ignored a lot of chat because she knew many of her acquaintances wanted to know about her well-being after the scandal. It was not like Aeri found it bothering her, it was just that she knew they were only being nosy. They never care about her in the first place. Aeri continued to scroll but her eyes widen at a notification she received. The sender’s name caught her interest which caused her to tap on it, ignoring the list she browsed just now.

Park Woojin:
Jihoon told the whole family he wants to come clean and marry Yena.

Aeri’s eyes were as big as saucer as she read the text for the second time in disbelief. Her heart skipped a beat at what she read over and over again. Her finger quickly tapped on the screen to call Woojin without delay. Fortunately, Woojin answered the call right after the first beat.

“What do you mean come clean?” Aeri skipped the greeting and rushed with her question, making Woojin flustered.

“Okay, but this is not really clean. He said he’ll admit that the two of you don’t have feeling for each other and are only good friend who are engaged to each other. He will announce that he’s going to marry Yena too.” Aeri was speechless for a moment. She did not expect that Jihoon will choose to do this.

“He will do that?” Truthfully, Aeri was not sure if it was a right decision to do so. Marrying Yena might protect the woman but she wondered how the Park will handle the press.

“I’m surprised too but I guess the latest news about you is hurting him.” Aeri sighed upon the information.

“Is there anything I can help with? When is he going to announce it?”

“As soon as possible. It will be good too if you can admit that you’re not in love with him and take the chance to deny you latest scandal.” Aeri bit her lips at Woojin’s suggestion.

“About the last part, I can’t do that. My grandma is handling it. What Jihoon is going to do is going to make it looks like I’m dating the guy.” Aeri stated her worry over Jihoon’s decision. Her concern was the misunderstanding the public would have over her news when Jihoon admitted that they had no feeling for each other. It was alright for Jihoon to admit his but not hers. Aeri started to wonder if Jihoon was counterattacking her.

“So, you’re not dating that guy?” Woojin took the chance to know the real story from Aeri.

“He’s just a colleague.” Well, Woojin was aware of the fact already. Jihoon told him about it.

“When is the picture taken?”

“After the news of the scandal and engagement.”

“So, it’s recently.” Woojin concluded.

“Yes. I really can’t understand how they can think that we’re cheating on each other.” Aeri expressed her unsatisfaction.

“Well, that’s how our world works, Aeri.” Aeri rolled her eyes at that answer. Of course she knew the perk of being one of the most influential family members in the country. They had the public’s attention because of their wealth, and it was their responsibility to prove the public how they were going to use their money to contribute to the country and not for fun or they would get in trouble. Now that she was in trouble, she had to bear the consequences.

“Whatever. Just tell me when he is going to announce it. I want to congratulate him.” Woojin burst out a laugh which made Aeri frowned.

“Wow, you’re so good at breaking heart, Song Aeri.” Aeri frowned even harder.

“What do you mean by that?” Woojin chuckled this time. Of course Aeri was oblivious about it. All she thought she was doing was to protect and care for Jihoon’s feeling without knowing that it was actually hurting him.

“Nothing. I’ll inform you later about it.” He answered. Aeri seemed did not bother by the fact that he refused to answer her. She hummed as a reply.

“Alright. I’m hanging up now.”

“Okay.” With that, the phone call ended. Aeri was welcomed by the list of chat she scrolled down just now. Her eyes squinted at a name which appeared in the middle of the screen. She was surprised she did not read the chat yet after two days. Aeri felt bad about it. Jinyoung must had been anxious waiting for her reply. She tapped on the chat to see his apologize about what happened recently. She shook her head at that. Just like Daehwi, Jinyoung did not have to apologize for what happened. It was not their fault at all. They were the victims. Aeri quickly typed in her reply, informing him that there was nothing to be sorry about and he had nothing to worry as his identity will be hidden. Right after she sent the text, she exited the apps and put down her phone on the bed with a sigh. She thought that breaking off the engagement will bring good things to her, but she was wrong. It attracted many problems to her that she wished to escape from it. Groaning again, Aeri tossed on her bed before getting out of the bed to start her boring day.

Aeri thought her day would be bored but she was entertained by Nara’s visit. She was grateful that her best friend came to visit, knowing that she could not escape her house for the time being. At least she was stress-free for the day. As expected, Aeri could not run away from Nara questioning her about Jinyoung. Aeri still remembered Nara’s assumption on Jinyoung’s feeling for her. She had a feeling that her best friend would bring it up again and she was right when Nara nudged her shoulder as soon as she entered her room and sat on the bed beside her.

“You never tell me you have something going on with him.” Nara said with a grin on her face. She was wriggling her eyebrows excitedly at her. Aeri shook her head while having an unamused expression on her face.

“I don’t. Please, Nara. My life has been miserable since the scandal. I thought I’ll be happy after the break up, but I can’t even see Sungwoon oppa at all. Now, another news came out and I still can’t meet him.” Aeri pouted as she expressed her frustration. Nara let out a scoff.

“It’s good then.” Nara blurted it out without hesitation. Aeri gave her a look which Nara pretended not to understand it.

“What?” She asked to annoy Aeri. As if Aeri did not know her stand when it came to her and Sungwoon. Aeri rolled her eyes, knowing that Nara could not be bothered on this matter.

“I guess I need a vacation.” Aeri sighed while hugging a small pillow which was placed under her chin which made it looks like she was pouting. Nara understood the hint Aeri was giving her, so she answered instantly.

“I’m busy.”

“I want to be with Sungwoon oppa.” Aeri finally revealed her original plan. With that, Nara immediately understood Aeri’s plan. She sent a look at Aeri.

“You want me to cover for you and Sungwoon again, isn’t it?” Nara made a guess, but she was very sure she was right. Aeri held Nara’s arm and shook it.

“Please, Nara. I am really at my limit now. I want to take a break from all of this stress.” Aeri begged her. Looking at Aeri’s face and thinking of the situation faced by Aeri, Nara was compelled to agree. She let out a sigh because she pitied her best friend.

“Alright. I’ll do it.” Nara gave in. Aeri formed a thankful smile at that.

“Thank you, Nara. I love you!” Nara laughed at it.

“Don’t mention it, okay?” Aeri flashed a grin at her. It was her turn to nudge Nara’s shoulder.

“So, what’s going on with you and Guanlin?” Nara blushed at the mention of the guy name which caused Aeri to giggle. Nara was too adorable in her eyes when she was shy. Nara cleared to answer Aeri.

“Well, we’re together now.” Aeri let out a dramatic gasp at the news. Nara expected this and she already had an explanation for it.

“You should have told me first. I’m your best friend!” Aeri said. She sounded like she was being betrayed. Nara sent an apologetic look at her.

“It’s only recently and you’re the first person I told about this.” At that, Aeri was satisfied. She would sulk if she knew someone else knew about this first. Aeri had been living the fact that she was Nara’s number one friend just like Nara was for her. She thought she deserved to be prioritized over anybody else when it came to this kind of issue.

“I wonder why you two are not caught instead of me so I can live peacefully.” Aeri muttered her complaint which earned a smack on her arm. Aeri winced at that dramatically but it was ignored by Nara.

“Yah, how can you wish for that?” Nara scolded her. Aeri stuck out her tongue. After calming down from their war of words, Aeri and Nara started to talk about another topic, mainly about Nara’s experience in Paris and Ennoia’s future plan. Thanks to Nara, Aeri’s day was filled with calmness as she managed to forget the anxiety that was coming for her since the day she had to wait for her punishment.

The next day, after careful consideration and planning with Nara, Aeri braved herself to ask for permission from her grandmother regarding the vacation. Aeri had a feeling that her grandmother was going to oppose the idea because she was being watched by people as she was the center of latest issue. However, she hoped that her grandmother would understand her struggle these days. Aeri truly needed a break. Her vacation was mainly for that. Being with Sungwoon was a bonus because it had been so long since she met him. She was missing him terribly and it added to her piled up stress.

Aeri entered the library where her grandmother would always spend her time. Chairwoman Kang glanced at Aeri’s approaching figure before averting her eyes to the book she was reading. It had been three days and she was giving her only granddaughter cold shoulder. She did not mean to do that, but she was upset that out of her grandchildren, Aeri was the one who caused the trouble. Not to forget, she was the one who brought up Aeri to be a fine and demure lady she was now. To have the one whom she loved and cared the whole life doing the thing she had the most was making her old sensitive self sad.

“Grandma, can I go for a vacation? I know it’s not really a good time, but I am so stressed right now. I feel so suffocated, it’s driving me crazy. I need a break from this overwhelming condition. I’ll be going with Nara if you allow me and I promise you, no funny business.” Aeri paused at that and there was silence for a few seconds before she saw a movement from her grandmother who put down her book on the table and was finally meeting her eyes. Chairwoman Kang observed her granddaughter for a while before opening .

“You may go but be careful on your way to and at the airport. Make sure Nara is the one who is going to drive you. We don’t want the public to know that you are out of Seoul. Where are you heading to?” As much as she was upset at Aeri, she sympathized with her too. Aeri had been working hard for Ennoia, to be the ideal granddaughter and heiress to this family. And for four weeks straight, she had been involved in scandals which was started by her ex-fiancé and later then affected her. It was cruel of her to ignore Aeri’s request when the workaholic lady confessed how stressful it was for her. Everyone had their limit.

“Thank you, grandma. I’ll make sure of it. By the way, we planned to head to Pattaya.” Aeri answered cheerfully as she received the green light from Chairwoman Kang. She could not hide her delight over it which induced a small smile from her grandmother but Aeri was being careful in front of her to notice it. Chairwoman Kang nodded her head at the answer. However, when she looked up, she was sending a warning look to Aeri.

“But don’t forget about your punishment. I’ll break it to you after your vacation.” Aeri grew nervous at the mention of the punishment. It seemed like Chairwoman Kang had a plan in her mind but Aeri wondered why she did not reveal it now that they were in the same room. Stiffly, Aeri nodded her head as she had nothing to go against her grandmother.

“I understand, grandma. Thank you for the permission. I’ll be going to my room to inform Nara.” Aeri said and left the room after a simple nod by Chairwoman Kang. Right after the door was closed by Aeri, a sigh escaped from Chairwoman Kang.

Back to her room, Aeri quickly grabbed her phone. Not to call Nara just what she told her grandmother but to call her lover, Sungwoon. It was working hour, but she knew Sungwoon would answer her call no matter where he was. She smiled in satisfaction when he answered after five tones.

“Yes, baby.” His sweet voice melted her ear. Aeri beamed in bliss upon that.

“Oppa, we’re going to Pattaya for our vacation this Thursday. I’ll handle the booking.” She informed him straight away, surprising Sungwoon on the other line.

“What? What’s up with the sudden plan? I had my schedule set for this week, Aeri.” Sungwoon told her, quite disagreed with her suddenness. Aeri pouted when he said that.

“Please, oppa. The stress is too much for me to handle and I don’t think I can wait any longer. Besides, I miss you terribly. Don’t you miss me too?” Sungwoon could not say no to it. He missed her like crazy too, but he had to held it in for her sake or they would mess up big time. Sungwoon allowed himself to sigh helplessly.

“Alright. I’m in. I’ll just fix my schedule later. How many days are we staying there?” Sungwoon finally gave in. Aeri cheered merrily. She knew Sungwoon would not decline it. He loved her too much to decline it.

“Is five days okay for you?”

“I think that’s fine.”

“Great! Five days then.” Aeri wished it to be longer but since the vacation was so sudden, even though they planned it before, she had to respect Sungwoon’s working hour or people might suspect something about his absence.

“Sweetheart…” Sungwoon called for his beloved. Aeri hummed as a reply. She was curious of the reason he was calling her like that.

“Everything is going to be okay. So, don’t stress yourself too much. I miss you as much as you miss me. Or if you want me to say that you miss me more, okay then. But I have to let you know that I’m missing you like crazy and I can’t wait to see you.” Sungwoon’s words melted Aeri’s heart. A blissful smile appeared on her lips. How she missed this comforting voice. She wished he was beside her right now so that she can soothe herself with his hugs and kisses.

“You’re right. I miss you more than you miss me. I can’t wait to see you too.”

“Well, worry not, my dear. We’re going on vacation soon. I’m all yours.” Aeri giggled gleefully.

“You made my day, oppa. Thank you.” She responded with a gentle voice which made Sungwoon swooned on the other line.

“Urgh! I miss you even more now. Thursday, please be fast.” Both of them laughed at that. Aeri was thankful for what he did for her. Just a few minutes ago she was fidgety because of the mention of punishment by Chairwoman Kang. But it was all forgotten after he comforted her. She felt safe and secured after listening to his voice.

“I guess you have to finish your work faster so you can have a peaceful vacation later. So, oppa, go and finish your work now. Let’s just text each other. I don’t want to take your time.” As someone who was workaholic, Aeri knew how to respect other’s time. She herself thought that a phone call was time-consuming because she had to focus on the call and not her work even though she wished to multitask. A phone call with Sungwoon was no exception. That was why she made sure they kept in touch with each other by texting. At least they still replied to each other and ended the chat properly even though the reply came a bit late.

“It’s your boyfriend you are calling, and you ask him to finish his work?” Aeri chortled.

“Oppa, do you want to have a peaceful holiday or not? If I caught you and your phone with work in your mind, I’m going to throw you into the sea.” She jokingly threatened him, causing Sungwoon to laugh as he was humoured by it.

“Alright, alright. Don’t want my girlfriend to be alone and taken away by other guy. I’m off to work. Take care, love. I love you.” Aeri smiled in gratification at his answer.

“Take care too and I love you more!” She replied and ended the call with a wide smile on her face.

Aeri could feel her heart jumping in excitement as she imagined the vacation she was going to have with her beloved. She could not wait for the day to come and realized that she had to book flight ticket and hotel room for both of them and also Nara to make it less suspicious since she told her grandmother about it. With a thrilled heart, she stepped towards the coffee table in her room for her iPad and started her surfing.