|| e l e v e n

Boomerang

Yena stepped hesitantly into the Park mansion. Her eyes wandered around as she was astonished by the spacious living room. The wall was painted antique white. There was a large window with white border on her right side, beige dark curtain covering it. Opposite of her, stood a white fireplace, five vases with different design and colour placed on it. On top of the fireplace was a large round mirror with dark brown border.

At the corner, on the right side of the fireplace, there was a tall dumb cane in a white pot. A huge floral white L-shaped sofa filled the space in front of the fireplace, separated from two modern single seater sofas by a rectangular wooden coffee table. On the sofa, there was a few brown throw pillows arranged neatly. The sofas and coffee table were placed on a dark grey cut-loop carpet with blue geometrical pattern. Above the coffee table, there was grey marble pot filled with white orchids to adorn it.

A pile of book was placed beside the plant. Yena skimmed the title of the books. It was a pile of motivational book by multiple famous author. Her eyes then travelled to the crystal raindrop chandelier with round base attached to the ceiling which was right above the coffee table. Her jaw dropped at the design as she was fascinated by it. It was the first time she entered a house with a big living room and luxurious interior design. Her eyes were then attracted to the wall on her left side where numerous photo frame were hang. The biggest one was located at the center of the wall, which was the Park family picture.

Yena walked closer to the family picture as she spotted an unfamiliar face beside Jihoon who was smiling dashingly. Yena never knew the Park had another son. The only known heir was Park Jihoon who took over Ennoia from his father. She was in wonder about the presence of another Park family member when she heard someone clearing his throat, making her jumped on her place. She turned around to see the man she was curious about just now.

“Hi, you’re Kim Yena, right? I’m Park Woojin. Jihoon’s twin brother.” Yena gaped at Woojin’s introduction. She had been following news about Jihoon, but she never knew about him having a twin. Being surprised by the fact, she bowed to greet and apologize to him for her reaction.

“I’m sorry. I did not know Mr. Park has a twin.” Woojin laughed at that, revealing his snaggletooth which Yena thought was attractive.

“It’s okay. I’m used to it. Not many people know about it anyway. I’ve been living in New York since I finished high school.” He answered and assured her.

“But still…”

“It’s okay. Have a sit, Miss Kim.” Woojin said while settling down at the end of the L-shaped sofa. Yena hesitated but she finally landed her on the single sofa to face him.

“How are you doing now? I mean, after the news.” Woojin asked in concern. Yena bit her lower lip, thinking of a proper answer as events from the past few days played in her mind.

“Well, my father was very much mad about it and I know he is still mad since he never come back after that. A very kind neighbour took me in when reporters started to swarm my house. My house is small and old so it’s going to be easy if people want to break in. She’s worried about it, so she took me in without questioning the reason the reporters came. I haven’t gone out since then. I only read the news and comments on the internet. A few friends and colleagues did ask about what happened, but I can’t reply them since I’m in hiding now. I’m pretty much in a ‘wait and see’ period.” Yena answered. Woojin sighed after he listened to that. He guessed it right. Yena suffered more damage than Jihoon, being a helpless girl with no one to back her up.

“I’m sorry on behalf of Jihoon for what happened between both of you. We all know what actually happened. Jihoon told us everything. We don’t blame you in this matter so don’t worry. We’re going to help you.” Yena nodded her head, trusting his words as she had been persuaded by Mrs. Park before she agreed to come and follow her to meet the Park family. Her eyes followed Woojin when he stood up suddenly. His eyes were looking at somewhere so Yena moved her eyes there only to see Jihoon standing in front of the doorway which Yena assumed will lead to a hallway. Yena gulped at Jihoon’s appearance. She expected this meeting but to finally face it made her nervous.

Jihoon walked towards them with a tensed face. Yena could see he was as nervous as she was. His shoulder was stiffed, and he looked different in casual attire. She was used to see him in office wear and flashy outfit for events. He was wearing a baby blue shirt inside his white long cardigan. He paired it with black sweatpants and a pair of pink slippers. While Jihoon was walking towards them, Woojin stood up. Yena followed suit as she did not know how to properly react to Jihoon who was approaching them. Woojin walked towards Jihoon and they met half-way.

“You’re so lucky. She’s as lovely as Aeri.” Woojin commented which caused Jihoon to hiss in annoyance.

“Don’t compare them.” He glared at his twin, but the latter just chuckled and patted his shoulder before leaving the living room. Woojin was not going anywhere far. He was going to stand behind the doorway where Jihoon came just now, to look after both of them. After being teased by Woojin, Jihoon continued walking towards Yena and finally stopped in front of her, exactly at Woojin’s spot a while ago. Yena dared to look up at him, her breath hitched, her heart thumping hard. Even though Jihoon was tensed, Yena could see how soft his expression was.

Jihoon took a look at Yena’s face. It was the first time he saw her face, given that he did not remember whatever happened between them. If Aeri did not caught his heart, Jihoon would agree to Woojin’s comment about Yena being a lovely woman. She had a pair of almond eyes, straight eyebrows on top of it. Her nose was slightly aquiline, and she had a pair of pink thin lips. She had a long black jet hair which parted slightly left from the middle and it reached her arms. She was wearing a peach sweatshirt and matched it with a denim jean. A string which attached to her handbag crossed her upper body. Her outfit simply showed how simple she was in dressing up.

Jihoon took a deep breath before braving himself to greet her.

“Hello, Miss Kim.” He bowed to her. Yena was in panic when he bowed to her first, so she quickly bowed to greet him too.

“Good evening, Mr. Park.”

“You can call me Jihoon. You’re going to call my father Mr. Park too, later.” Yena her lips as it suddenly felt dry while nodding her head to Jihoon’s word.

“Then, you can call me Yena.” It was Jihoon’s turn to nod his head. There was a silence after that. Both of them were looking everywhere except for the person in front of them. The silence was broken by Woojin who cleared his throat loudly from behind the doorway. Jihoon glared at the doorway, even though he could not see Woojin there.

“Have a seat, Yena.” Jihoon told her.

“Ah, thank you.” Yena thanked him and sat right away. Only then Jihoon sat in front of her, at the place Woojin was sitting just now.

“I was told that you’re a staff at Ennoia. Which department are you from?” Jihoon asked. He was surprised when he was told by Woojin about the woman’s identity which was revealed by the media. Her job was one of the things the reporters used to spice up their news report.

“I worked under advertising department.” Yena answered. Her eyes were still not meeting Jihoon’s even though Jihoon was looking directly at her. Jihoon nodded his head at the information. There were not many people under advertising department and he visited them for quite a few times. It made him wonder why he never remember seeing her before.

“You must not be able to go to work for now. Don’t worry, you can still keep your job.” He assured her. He did not know that it meant nothing to Yena now. How can she go back to her previous job when her colleagues already judged her wrongly? It was definitely not a good environment Yena wanted to join in. However, she did not express any of that thought.

“Thank you.” She thanked in a small voice. Jihoon observed Yena who was shrinking on her seat as time goes by. Jihoon meant to ask something when they finally met. He was overwhelmed by it but tried to calm himself by taking a deep breath. Yena could heard it but continued to stay quiet.

“I-I want to know…” Jihoon paused, unsure if he can complete his sentence. Just like Yena, his heart was pounding, and his lips were dry. He had to wet it to continue his sentence. If the silence went longer, he would probably be sweating. Jihoon cleared his throat in restlessness.

“I want to know what actually happened that night.” Right after he completed the sentence, Jihoon could hear her breath hitched. Yena looked away in panic, her hands were gripping her sweatshirt. Yena chanted in her head, that she would be okay. She knew she was going to be asked on this and he had the right to know but the burden was too heavy especially when she needed to admit that she was at fault.

“Yena…” Yena gulped when he called her name with a pleading voice. She dared herself to look up and see his pleading face which almost made her heart dropped. She never saw such emotion on his face before. Just by looking at it, Yena knew she had to give in.

“I have to know what actually happened. I have to know what mistake have I done. Because if not, it’s hard for me to let go of Aeri.” Upon the mention of his ex-fiancée, Yena bit her lips in guilt. She knew about their broken engagement and she blamed herself from separating those two whom in her eyes, suited each other so much.

“I’m sorry about Miss Aeri.” She apologized. Jihoon sighed at that.

“No, it’s okay. You can help me by telling me what happened. Please, Yena.” Yena took a deep breath and finally opened , granting his request. She looked at the wall behind Jihoon as she could not bear looking at his face while telling him the ugly truth.

“That night…” Upon the first two words from her, Jihoon’s heart was pounding hard. He was scared to know the truth, but he had to. Woojin who was eavesdropping was nervous as well to know the truth from Yena. Yena’s breath hitched a bit but she continued anyway.

It was the first time Yena entered an exclusive club, thanks to her colleague who bragged about her cousin being the owner of the club. They were not many of them that night. Usually the whole department would come to celebrate any occasion. Since that night was merely to enjoy themselves, Yena and five of her colleagues found themselves in a room, exclusively booked by the owner of the club for his cousin which happened to be Yena’s colleague. Initially, Yena did not want to follow them but thinking that she was stressed lately by work and financial, she agreed. She thought she might be able to forget her problems that one night.

After enjoying themselves in the room, they decided to go down and joined the dance floor. Yena was a bit tipsy but she managed to climb down the stairs. She looked around the first floor of the club. There was a bar on her right side. Numerous tall chairs aligned by the bar. There were a few people there, including a face that was familiar to her eyes. On one of the chairs at the bar, Park Jihoon, Yena’s crush was sitting there, wasting himself. By the number of the tall bottle in front of him, Yena’s cloudy mind could guess he was trying to get really drunk. She chuckled by herself as she realized his intention.

Her legs moved by its own towards him. Her hand stopped his hand from shoving more drink into his mouth. Jihoon looked up. His eyes were blurry, and his mind was cloudy. His eyes looked lost from Yena’s eyes.

“Aeri?” Jihoon called. Yena chuckled bitterly at the mention of his fiancée. Of course, an engaged man would search for his fiancée instead of other women’s name.

“Stop it, Mr. Park. You’re crazy to drink this much.” She said, ridiculing him.

Jihoon’s lips suddenly formed a smile. He pulled her hand which stopped his hand just now, pulling her body towards him.

“You did care for me after all.” He said in delight as he was thinking it was Aeri in front of him. Yena looked down to see his face. Just now, her eyes were a bit blurry but now she could see his face clearly. It was the first time she saw his face from a very close distance. Their breaths were touching each other’s face. Yena stared at his exceptional beautiful eyes. Her eyes travelled to his nose then his plump red lips. If watching him from far already made Yena thought he was handsome, the close-up look she was enjoying now made Yena thought he was not a human but an angel. Her heart was tempted to kiss his lips, but her conscience came after staring at him for a few minutes.

Yena wanted to move away but Jihoon held her by her waist, restricting her from walking away.

“Stay with me please. I need your love.” Jihoon said, slurring a bit in his speech. Yena shook her head while pushing herself off from him. However, Jihoon’s hold on her was strong. He then leaned his head on her shoulder, causing her shoulder to feel heavy. Yena sighed and sat on the chair beside him, his head remained on her shoulder and his hands were still around her waist. They stayed in that position for quite a long time as Jihoon was sleeping.  When Yena felt his hands were loose on her waist, she took the chance to turn to face the bar, carefully maintaining his head on her shoulder.

She sighed to herself, thinking what she was doing with the CEO of the company she worked for even though her mind was hazy. She grabbed the drink in front of Jihoon just now. Half of the bottle was left so she poured it into the glass used by Jihoon to sip for herself. She continued drinking, did not realizing that she almost emptied the bottle. At that time, she already lost her focus and conscience, thanked to the drink she drunk mindlessly. Her movement stopped when she felt a shower of kisses on her neck. Her blurred eyes looked at the culprit who happened to be the person who was sleeping on her shoulder just now.

Their body were glued to each other, Yena could feel the heat coming from his body. She leaned on the small back of her chair and sat still, sighing in bliss from his warm smooches on her neck. Slowly but sensually, his lips travelled to her jaw and finally near the corner of her lips. Yena’s hand unconsciously reached up to touch his face but his hand was faster as he held it in his hand and dragged her out of the club. Yena neither protest nor restrain herself from him. The alcohol in her system comforted her mind that it was okay to trail him. Yena did not remember the journey or the place they were heading. She only remembered seeing his handsome face which smiled sweetly as he looked at her face. She remembered smiling so brightly because her wish to be in his arm came true.

Yena had been crushing on Jihoon since he took over the company from his father. She was a new employee when he took over too. It was a joy for her if she ever bumped into him or saw him around the company. She fangirled a lot with her colleague who shared the same interest but probably not as much as her. She kept tab on every event, interview and photoshoot he did or attend. Even after the announcement of his engagement with Song Aeri, she still liked him. Sometimes she would daydream of making him hers even though she knew it would never happen. Nevertheless, she was happy with that imagination.

And her hidden desire was unleashed out of her control when the cause of it was holding her in his arm with so much love in his eyes. Yena did not know the reason behind the look. She only knew the butterflies in her stomach when he touched her and brought her closely to his body. Everything happened so fast. Yena neither have any memory of weighing her decision nor considering the consequences of that night. When the next morning she woke up and realized who was sleeping beside her, only then she regretted being swayed by her feeling and the alcohol despite the headache she had. Jihoon was sleeping soundly when Yena got out of the bed, dressed herself and walked away from the expensive hotel room in panic.

Her hands were trembling as she pushed the button of the lift. She was scared after realizing the place she was in. She was in the most luxurious hotel in Seoul, a place she could never imagine stepping into. However, she was there, drunk and with someone’s fiancé and ended up on bed with him. Her heart thumped harder at that thought. She bit her lips as the memories of last night flashed in her mind. She was close to tears as the lift reached the first floor. Yena could not believe herself. She had tainted herself, she had tainted someone’s fiancé and one certain thing was she had tainted her future.

Jihoon froze in his place. Too speechless to make a comment as his brain kept telling him it was his fault in the first place. Yena might sounded like she was the one to be blamed but Jihoon knew it all along that he was the one who initiated it. It was still a mistake on his behalf even if the paparazzi did not catch them.

“I’m sorry if this is a bit sensitive for you but… are you a before that night?” Jihoon sweat profusely at his own question. He really wished it was not the case. To his dismay, Yena indeed nodded her head, making Jihoon closed his eyes and sighed in frustration. He did not just mess up by sleeping with her but taking away her ity too. What a bad thing to do to a pure and innocent woman.

“I’m sorry, Yena. I’m sorry for everything. I know there’s nothing I can do to undo it, but I am really, really sorry.” He apologized repeatedly while bowing his head, making Yena’s eyes widened. She waved her hands in panic.

“It’s okay! It’s my fault too!” She exclaimed in the midst of it. Jihoon was looking at her with regret on his face as she put her hands down.

“No, I am the one to be blamed here.” Jihoon insisted. Yena sighed at the pointless argument.

“What is done is done anyway.” She muttered as she looked away. Jihoon sighed as well, admitting the truth behind her words.

“So, what do you plan to do now?” Jihoon asked, curious of her future plan while they were having this talk. Yena shrugged, obviously was not prepared for the question, let alone the thinking.

“I don’t know. I want to continue working but it’s difficult now. My father is not coming back home too.” She answered truthfully. Listening to that, Jihoon’s heart was encaged by guilt once again. Yena suffered a lot compared to him.

“I’m sorry for making your life miserable.” He apologized once again. Indeed, Aeri was right. Jihoon did not think of the consequences Yena received after the scandal. He was blind to see that the said girl suffered more than him because she had nothing to protect her while he was hiding behind his family business’ name all this while. It was not fair and was something cruel to do to someone innocent.

Yena dismissed his apology. She still insisted that it was partly her fault too so there was no point for Jihoon to apologize.

“What about you then? What is your plan?” Yena returned the question to him. Jihoon raised his eyebrows, certainly did not expect to be asked the same question. Just like Yena, he shrugged his shoulder.

“I don’t know too. Aeri only told me to save you.” He uttered an answer and explanation. Yena nodded her head with a straight smile.

“Miss Aeri has a big heart.” She made a short comment on it which Jihoon nodded as he agreed. There was a pregnant silent after the topic. The silence was almost torturing for both of them, but the moment was saved by Jihoon’s parents appearance.

The couple entered the living room together. Mrs. Park was having a motherly smile on her face meanwhile Mr. Park was having a serious face which made Yena nervous on meeting him. Despite that, she bowed to greet them. After she was invited to sit, where she changed her place to give way for the couple to seat on the sofa, Yena stared at the floor. Too scared to look up.

“I heard from my wife and Jihoon about you and what happened, Miss Kim.” Mr. Park started, his deep voice resonance in the room. Yena nodded her head quietly as she was intimidated by his presence.

“My biggest apologies on behalf of my son for what he did to you, Miss Kim.”

Yena swore she almost gasped as if she was going to die when Mr. Park apologized on behalf of Jihoon. She just rejected Jihoon’s apology just now because she thought she was at fault. Now she did not know what do to reject his father. Yena shook her head almost immediately as her heart hammered on her ribcages.

“No, it’s my fault too. I should apologize to you and your family too.” She said politely. Yena could feel her lips dried after she saw a frown on Mr. Park’s forehead. She did not know if he was angry, annoyed or was just wondering why she said it.

“I don’t agree with that. My son is the one to be blamed here.” Like father, like son. Yena had no further disagreement on this topic so she kept shut and just nodded her head submissively.

“If it is fine with you, I wish you to marry Jihoon, Miss Kim.” Mr. Park’s request caused Mrs. Park and Jihoon almost stand up from their sitting position. Even Woojin who was hiding went out to see and confirm if he heard it right. Yena’s eyes widened and her body froze. She looked at Mr. Park as if he grew a new head. She knew it was rude, but she could not believe he just asked that to her. Marrying Jihoon? It was her dream, but she did not wish it to be like this certainly.  Not for this reason too.

“Dad, please think about it again.” Woojin said as he rushed towards the center of the living room. Mr. Park let out a sigh.

“How do you want to salvage the situation now then? Miss Kim’s pride is involved. We have to be responsible on her.” Jihoon looked down. He was upset that his father had to come to this decision to solve the situation which was started because of him. Mrs. Park saw how terrified Yena was by the request, so she placed her hand on top of hers only to be surprised by how cold it was. Yena met eyes with Mrs. Park as the older woman flashed her a reassuring smile.

“Miss Kim, you keep claiming it was partly your fault too so what do you think you will do to take responsibility of this situation?” Mr. Park turned the question to Yena. All eyes fell on her, waiting for her response.

“I-I will… disappear if you want me to.”

“Impossible!” Yena’s shoulder jumped at that. She did not know what else she should do to escape the situation right now. She wanted to turn down the request and secretly was hoping she had enough support from everyone there, except for Mr. Park. However, when Mr. Park questioned everyone on how they should solve this problem, it made her stuck.

“That would be irresponsible of us, Miss Kim. We have a very limited choice right now, Miss Kim, so I hope you can think about it. For now, I want you to stay with us for the sake of your safety.” Yena was relieved when Mr. Park decided to rest the case there, but she knew she had to make a decision on it later.

Yena only nodded her head at Mr. Park’s word. She knew it already that she would be staying there after she was persuaded by Mrs. Park. Plus, she did not want to harm Mrs. Choi if someone ever discovered her. Well, that was thought by Mrs. Park and Yena agreed with it so that was why she followed Mrs. Park to their mansion. She was promised protection by the Park.

“I hope you enjoy your stay here, Miss Kim. I’ll let the maids to guide you and we’ll meet for dinner later.” Mr. Park said while standing up. Yena and Mrs. Park followed suit. Yena noticed Jihoon was not moving at all but did not make any comment on that. Yena bowed to the couple.

“Thank you for having me here, Mr. Park, Mrs. Park.” She expressed her gratitude which was received by Mrs. Park with a sweet smile on her face. Mr. Park’s face remained stoic but Yena had a feeling it was nothing scary or intimidating anymore after his warm welcome just now.

“Don’t mention it, Yena. We did what we need to do. I would like to keep your company today, but my husband is not really feeling well lately. I’m going to take care of him first. Make yourself comfortable, okay? There’s Woojin and Jihoon too.” Yena beamed a smile and nodded at that.

“I will.” She answered shortly. The couple then excused themselves from the living room to their own room, leaving Yena with Woojin and Jihoon.

Yena sighed after their figure disappeared from her view. She sat down on the sofa as she watched Woojin making his way towards his twin who was quiet since just now.

“Are you alright?” Woojin asked in concern as he sat beside Jihoon. Jihoon nodded his head without a word. He was staring into spaces for a while and made Woojin and Yena wondered when he suddenly stood up after his quietness.

“I need to call Aeri.”

“What?!” Woojin exclaimed and quickly chased after Jihoon who hurried to his room while calling his name.

Apparently, Jihoon was still prohibited from contacting Aeri and if he was ever allowed to do that, it would be under Woojin’s supervision. Now that Jihoon wanted to make a call on Aeri, thinking he might be calm and find the answer to his problem, Woojin had to stop him even though they will end up having a quarrel. Yena was left alone in the living room after watching Jihoon’s antic. There was no maid around to help her, so she just sat there thinking of Mr. Park suggestion. It was too soon but she knew she had to weigh the decision because a marriage will change her life completely just like the night she spent with Jihoon.