|| t w e l v e

Boomerang

A joyful laughter filled the dining room of the Kang family’s mansion. Chairwoman Kang heard the laughter since she walked out of her room and as she descended the stairs to head to the dining room to have breakfast with two of her grandchildren. She recognized the laughter. It was Aeri’s and Daniel’s laughter. It was not rare, but it was not usual either to listen to that. Aeri and Daniel had always been in a good relationship, like a brother and a sister. But as they grew up, they tended to act maturely in front of their grandmother. To hear such laughter from the two of them made her heart warmed. A smile inevitably formed on her face as she approached the two figures who were laughing at something.

“What are you laughing about early in the morning?” Both of them, as supposed by Chairwoman Kang, were going to stop laughing but it appeared that the thing they were talking about was hilarious that they continued laughing after looking at each other. Chairwoman Kang shook her head but the beam on her face remained.

“You can explain after you finish laughing.” She said as she eyed the food served by the maids on the table. Aeri took a deep breathe to control her laughter while wiping the tears that escaped from too much laughing while Daniel was having problem to control it. He was almost out of breathe for laughing so hard.

“Oppa, stop laughing. Grandma is here.” Aeri told Daniel. She was gaining her normal state and proceeded with drinking plain water to relief . Daniel nodded his head and tried to control his laughing reflex.

“Ahh, my stomach hurts.” He commented while leaning back on his seat. Aeri took a glass of plain water in front of him and pushed it near him so that he could drink and calm himself. Her act was noticed by Chairwoman Kang who had a knowing smile on her face. She did not mind at all that they were taking their time to explain.

“So, what is it about?” Chairwoman Kang eyed Aeri as she already calmed down. Aeri smiled sheepishly while eyeing Daniel.

“We are talking about the breakfast menu today and Daniel oppa just told me a joke he heard from his staff. What is it, oppa?” Aeri explained and later asked Daniel to tell the joke himself because the way he expressed the joke was way better than Aeri, anyway. Daniel let out a small laugh as he was reminded of the joke, but he controlled himself in order to tell it to Chairwoman Kang.

“So, my staff told me about taking his wife to dinner for their anniversary. He described how the food was made in front of them and my team was very fascinated about it. We asked him where he went to because we all know there were a few restaurants like that. And he answered ‘Subway’ and we laughed like no tomorrow. Aeri found it funny too when I told her.” Aeri chuckled at that and looked at the puzzled grandmother.

“It’s absurd, grandma. He brought his wife to Subway for their anniversary? It’s cute but the way he told them is so funny.” She explained but Chairwoman Kang was still having a confused expression on her face which was noticed by Daniel in seconds.

“I think grandma doesn’t know what is Subway, Aeri.” Aeri’s eyes widened in realization but she laughed it off when Chairwoman Kang nodded her head with a frown.

“Yes, what is Subway? They made food in front of their customers?”

“Subway is a fast-food restaurant and they served sandwich. The reason they made it in front of the customers is because the customers get to choose what they want to be in their sandwich, and they can choose the bread they preferred.” Aeri enlightened her. She was happy that her grandmother was enthralled by it.

“What a convenient restaurant.” Chairwoman Kang commented. Daniel nodded his head in agreement.

“Indeed.”

“Should we make a café like that in our building?” Chairwoman Kang suggested as she was thinking of it. Daniel and Aeri were taken aback by it. Daniel raised his eyebrows while looking at his grandmother.

“I don’t think Subway would appreciate us copying their style.”

“We can think of another style. I’ve been thinking of opening up a café of our own brand in our building.”

“So, we are going from fashion line to food line, is it?” Aeri kidded her but it did not mean she disagree with it. It was a good idea to have their own brand in everything they had in the building. Chairwoman Kang let out a chortle but did not miss the question as she nodded her head.

“I’m going to ask Jisung to come with a proposal later. We can collect ideas from everyone in the company.” Chairwoman Kang said. Daniel cupped his mouth in disbelief.

“You are serious about it, grandma? It started as a joke just now.”

“Yes and thank you for the joke that I couldn’t understand.” Aeri cackled at that while Daniel sent a glare at her for laughing at him.

“Now, let’s eat. You are going to be late later.” Chairwoman Kang said and they began to dig in their breakfast. While eating, they continued to discuss more about the café and Aeri expressed how jealous she was because it was going to happen in The K’s building while she was in Ennoia. Daniel took the chance to irritate her which Chairwoman Kang watched in amusement. When it was time for them to go for work, Chairwoman Kang sent them to the door, as usual. While getting their shoes, Chairwoman Kang noticed the crook of Daniel’s necktie. She was about to fix it for Daniel but Aeri beat her to it.

“Oppa, I’m tired of doing this everyday for you.” Aeri complained while fixing it for Daniel. Daniel could only grinned which Chairwoman Kang assumed, it was true Aeri did that every day for him. She wondered if she did that when they were in the car because she never saw their interaction like this. Silently, a knowing smile formed on her lips. After fixing Daniel’s necktie, Aeri hugged her, a habit she got after two weeks of going to office with Daniel. Chairwoman Kang bid goodbye to both of them and watched the car drove off before entering the mansion. For some reason, she was loving the sight she saw just now.

Ennoia was going to have another collaboration with The K’s despite the scandal that swept the country two weeks ago. Before this, they had a collaboration because of Kang Daniel’s latest release. This time, it was because of Song Aeri’s only friend, Song Nara, a well-known designer from The K’s who was back from Paris after finishing her research and design for this release.  For this collaboration, Ennoia was offering the job to Guanlin once again as requested by Nara. The hottest model was going to wear the upcoming release for autumn by The K’s.

Aeri decided to give the photographer position to Jinyoung for this release, thanks to his outstanding performance in the previous event. She was thinking to give the main photographer position to Jinyoung if he did well in this collaboration too.

“Is it okay for Guanlin to be the next model again after two issues?” Daehwi voiced out his worry as they were discussing about the collaboration. It seemed like he did not mind the idea of Jinyoung becoming the photographer for this session since the photographer for the last photoshoot with Guanlin was another person.

“Well, this photoshoot is meant to be released the month the design will be released which is the next two months. Guanlin is going to be busy after this so this is the only time we can make it happen. Plus, the outfit he’s going to wear later is the only piece made for him because apparently Nara designed it for this photoshoot right after the design is confirmed.” Aeri explained. Daehwi’s jaw dropped at the bomb.

“You mean, there is only one piece of the design currently? And it’s for Guanlin only? Heol! This is an exclusive photoshoot then. No wonder you chose Jinyoung for it.” He exclaimed. Aeri nodded her head, coolly.

“Yes. Nara is my best friend and this collaboration will help Ennoia and The K’s, if this will make it to the news.” Daehwi beamed in satisfaction. He loved the way Aeri was planning for Ennoia’s sake despite the issue she had with Jihoon. He was glad she was their creative director.

“Don’t sweat on it. I’ll make sure this will make it to the news.” He assured her which Aeri replied with a pleased smile. Aeri’s phone was ringing right at the pause of their conversation. She looked over her phone to see Nara was calling her. Daehwi excused himself, giving them privacy which Aeri nodded in gratitude. She answered the call and was immediately bombarded by questions.

“Where are you? Aren’t you coming to the photoshoot? You should take a look at my designs!” Nara was loud on the other side. Aeri could only rolled her eyes at that.

“Why should I? It’s going to be fine without me.”

“Unbelievable! You can’t come to support your friend, huh?” Aeri shook her head when Nara was using the ‘friend’ card.

“Geez! I’m a busy person, okay?” Actually, Aeri was tired to be in disguise that day. That was why she refused to go anywhere except for the office that week.

“Are you going to do this to me? I’ve been covering your love life for how many years, I can’t even count. I even…” Before Nara could nag her more, Aeri quickly interjected her.

“Alright, alright! Keep it to yourself, you calculative woman. I’m coming!” Aeri gave in and lazily sat straight on her seat. Nara cheered on the other side which annoyed her for a moment. It was not like she could go mad with Nara for a long time.

“I’ll wait for you then. Come faster!” Nara ended the call without giving a chance for Aeri to say anything. She did not want Aeri to change her mind. Aeri shook her head but she stood up to go and crash the photoshoot, nevertheless.

The photoshoot was halfway done when Aeri reached the studio. The moment she entered the studio, Nara noticed her right away. She poked Aeri on her waist which startled her, making Aeri frowned when she turned to look at her best friend.

“The single lady is finally here.” Nara . Aeri made a face and hit her by the shoulder. Nara laughed as a respond.

“So how was Sungwoon oppa’s reaction?” Nara asked since she did not have the chance to ask about it after she landed in Korea.

“As you expected, he is pleased, of course. I’m his only.” Nara scoffed at that but Aeri did not care about her reaction at all. She was used to it.

“Then how about Jihoon? Did you contact him? What happened actually? I thought he is so head over heels with you.” Aeri started to tell Nara everything that had been happening recently and as expected, Nara was giving all sort of reactions as she was telling her. After Aeri was done with her story-telling, Nara sighed in regret.

“I’ve told you many times, but I like Jihoon for you. You’re at loss for losing Jihoon.” Aeri rolled her eyes. What a nice saying from a best friend, she thought. Nara had always been the straight-forward type that it annoyed people around her but Aeri loved that trait of hers. Nara made Aeri felt secure because she knew Nara would never lie to her. Nara also knew what was good and what was bad for her even though Aeri had to admit, she was too obstinate to listen to Nara. Nonetheless, she appreciated having Nara by her side because she respected her as a person and not just a public figure.

“Well, thank you for not being there for me when the chaos happened.” Aeri made a comeback which Nara could care less. She felt bad for not being with Aeri when she needed her the most, but it was not entirely her fault that she had to work oversea.

“You can put the blame on your cousin for sending me there.” Nara replied. The cousin she mentioned, of course, was Kang Daniel. Nara worked under him as a designer. She was on another team but sometimes she was offered to join his team. Her trip to Paris last time was a solo project Daniel gave to her as he was impressed with her recent performance. Nara was glad to accept it because finally, she had the chance to has the spotlight for herself.

Aeri did not make any comment on that. She knew the reason behind Nara’s trip to Paris. Daniel told her when they were on their way back home. Aeri went closer to where the clothes Guanlin wore for the photoshoot which was hung beside the set. She took it out one by one to see the quality and design made by Nara. Nara followed her while explaining about her inspiration and what she gained from her trip to Paris. Aeri admitted, Nara was talented and did an excellent job for her collection this time. Since it was for autumn, people could tell that the clothes were going to be comfortable to wear based on the design itself.

“You did great this time, Nara. And I totally don’t expect that you used Guanlin’s size for your first piece.” Aeri said while eyeing and touching the clothes. She smirked after her last sentence and glanced at Nara who was glaring at her.

“As if you don’t know my crush for him.” Nara whispered in dissatisfaction which earned a laugh from Aeri. It was a big fat lie if Aeri said she did not know about Nara’s crush on Guanlin. She had been crushing on him since he made his debut. It had been a long time she was asking from Aeri to have Guanlin modeled for her design but Aeri wanted something better from Nara.

Previously, Nara had the chance to have one or two pieces of her design included in The K’s fashion line for every season and Aeri knew the possibility for Guanlin, the hottest model to wear her piece was little since her team will prioritize Daniel’s design, given that he was the CEO of The K’s. Hence, she made her vowed to work hard so that she was given the chance to has a solo project and Aeri will push for Guanlin to model for it. Nara was someone who was always up for a challenge thus she promised her and the seed of hard work she planted had finally grew into a big tree of success. Her dream to have Guanlin as the model of her piece had finally came true.

Aeri and Nara walked closer to the set to see Guanlin posing in front of the camera. Jinyoung was giving him instruction as he was made understood about the concept of the photoshoot, requested by Nara.

“This guy is a great photographer.” Nara praised Jinyoung. Aeri smiled proudly at that.

“I know, right? He was my photographer for Seoul Fashion Week and did a very excellent job. I’m in love with his work. That’s why I recommended him. I only want the best for this photoshoot.”

“That’s so sweet of you, Aeri. Thank you.” Nara smiled warmly. She was grateful to have Aeri as her best friend. As much as Aeri would tell people how annoying she was, she wanted to tell them how bratty Aeri was despite her having a good image in public’s eyes. However, to have Aeri making her dream came true, she was touched. They rarely said good things to each other but when they said it, they meant it.

As they were watching, the team decided to have a break in between. Jinyoung saw Aeri after he stepped back from the camera. He formed a smile when they met eyes. He left his previous position to walk towards Aeri and Nara who was anticipating his presence. Jinyoung bowed at the two of them.

“Good morning, Miss Aeri. It’s the first time I saw you in studio.” Aeri smiled upon his greeting.

“Miss Nara here is my best friend. I come to show my support.”

“Ah, I see.” Jinyoung nodded his head in understanding. He suddenly felt a huge presence beside him, and he could see the change on Nara’s face. Guanlin was standing beside him, to greet Aeri. The tall guy bowed with a smile.

“Good morning, Miss Aeri. It’s nice seeing you in studio.” Guanlin greeted her. Aeri was holding her smile for Nara whose tongue was frozen at the arrival of her crush. Aeri nodded her head.

“I’m here to support her. By the way, you look great in those clothes. And you did a very good job in your previous photoshoot. I didn’t have the chance to say this before.” Aeri sincerely praised him. Guanlin had never disappointed her team. She was glad that they found a golden talent like him to join the company. Ennoia was soaring higher thanks to him too. He was one of the reasons Ennoia was making profit and because of that, she would make sure he is well-managed and would never block any opportunity coming to him.

Guanlin looked delightful to hear her praise. He was proud of himself, but he wanted to be modest about it. Afterall, he learned that being full of himself would not help him survive the world of fame.

“Thank you. I only want the best for the company and I’m working hard to be better.” He thanked her with a dashing smile that it blinded Nara who was looking at him silently.

“Also, you’re so lucky that Nara chose you to model for her pieces. You’re the first one to wear her latest design.” It was time for Aeri to do her job as a match-maker. Nara was surprised to hear her name in their conversation. She had an eye contact with Guanlin, and she felt awkward immediately. She tried to form an acknowledging smile for him.

“I heard about it from the staff. Thank you for trusting and giving me this once-in-a-lifetime chance.” Guanlin thanked Nara, politely. Nara was a bit embarrassed because Guanlin got to know about him being the first one to wear her design and she only designed it by Guanlin’s size. She was worried that her feeling for him was that obvious, if he was not dense.

“Nah, a dinner will do to thanks her.” Aeri continued with the match-making while smiling knowingly at Nara. Jinyoung noticed what she was trying to do because he saw what Daehwi did previously for him and Aeri. Jinyoung was surprised Aeri never realized what Daehwi was doing all these while when she was becoming like Daehwi for Nara and Guanlin today.

Blood rushed immediately to Nara’s face, making it red for people to see. She shook her head in nervousness. Her heart was having palpitation at Aeri’s advance.

“No, no. It’s okay.” She refused, unable to reason it with him. But what Guanlin replied after that made her jaw dropped and Aeri smiled in satisfaction. Jinyoung could only chuckle silently at their antics.

“You’re right. We can have dinner together, if it’s okay with you, Miss Nara. Take it as a sign of gratitude from me. This is a rare opportunity for me, by the way.” Guanlin proposed but Nara continued to shake her head to refuse. She was not ready for a dinner with her crush.

“No, really. It’s okay. I chose you because you deserved it.” Nara was trying to escape but Guanlin still insisted.

“Please, Miss Nara. I will forever owe you this opportunity.” Nara opened to make him understand the reason she refused it but Aeri beat her chance to say anything.

“Aye, Nara. Just accept it. It’s only a dinner.” Nara wanted to strangle her best friend for making her stuck in the situation. She glanced at Guanlin and saw that he was anticipating her answer. Now, she was embarrassed that she rejected his offer just now. Sighing, Nara calmed herself.

“Alright. A dinner then.” Guanlin’s face lit up at her answer.

“Great! I’ll contact you later. I’m going to take my leave now, Miss Nara, Miss Aeri. I have to change my outfit.” Nara and Aeri nodded their head and allowed him to leave with a knowing smile on their face. Right after Guanlin disappeared into the changing room, Nara hit Aeri by her arm.

“You’re enjoying this, huh?” She gritted her teeth while Aeri was laughing. She was having a great time seeing her best friend being flabbergasted indeed. Jinyoung let out a chuckle and excused himself to take a look at his work.

Being a fan of his work, Aeri followed suit to see it together, leaving Nara who was calming herself. As usual, Aeri gaped at his work and looked at them with interest. Jinyoung loved the widening of her eyes and the sparkle in it. It made him proud and made him fell harder for her.

“You’re getting better at this, Jinyoung. This is crazy!” She praised him as she looked one after another of his work. Jinyoung smiled gently as he also took a look at his work. He was satisfied with it too if she loved it.

“Are you going to be done soon?” Aeri wondered out loud.

“They informed me there are two outfits left.”

“Alright. I will wait for you so we can go back to the office together.” Jinyoung nodded his head. If only Aeri was able to see his heart, she was going to be surprised because it was beating fast and hard for every warm things she said to him. Guanlin went out with a new outfit this time and Jinyoung was supposed to get ready for the photoshoot. Aeri left his side to sit with Nara. Nara leaned closer to her to whisper something.

“That guy is in love with you.” Aeri frowned in instant at that. She looked at Nara with an unbelievable expression on her face.

“No way!”

“Oh God, please save this girl!” Nara groaned which caused Aeri to frown harder. She really could not decipher what Nara was trying to tell her by acting like that.

“Aeri, that guy looked at you the same way Jihoon looked at you and you know what Jihoon feel for you, don’t you?” Aeri grew nervous at Nara’s statement.

“No way! Stop joking around, Nara.” Aeri denied it again. Nara could only shake her head.

“You always let the good men go. It’s a waste.” Aeri sighed.

“Look, I know you don’t like Sungwoon oppa, but I love him.” Aeri knew whatever Nara was trying to imply to her. She knew very well that Nara did not like Sungwoon even though she always covered her up whenever she went to date with Sungwoon. As mentioned above, Nara was a straight-forward woman. Every time she saw Aeri, she will always tell her how she liked Jihoon for her and how regretful it was for Aeri to reject his feeling. And she was doing the same except that it was Jinyoung she was talking about. Frankly, Aeri did not understand how Nara see a man. Even if Jinyoung loved her, Nara could not say that he was better than Sungwoon because in the end, both of them loved her. She was the one who is going to choose between them.

“Geez, are you confident that you two are going to end up marrying each other? How are you going to do that? It’s better if you don’t waste your time and find a better guy.” That was the point that Aeri forgot just now. She forgot that Sungwoon was someone’s husband and Nara made it clear there was no point waiting for him because apparently, their relationship was forbidden. Being the stubborn woman she was, Aeri refused to admit how right Nara was because to her, the years spent loving him was bigger than the undecided future. Aeri looked away, knowing that she was losing in this talk. Nara sighed upon Aeri’s reaction.

“I know you and Sungwoon oppa go way back but you need to face the reality, Aeri. It has been years and things are getting complicated as time goes by.”

“But we can’t give up each other when we’re in love with each other.” Nara shook her head at that.

“It’s you who need to give up in the first place. Sungwoon is married, Aeri. No one is going to understand the relationship you have with him.” Nara hated it every time they were having this talk because she hated the expression on Aeri’s face. She looked lost and broken but yet, she kept holding on to her feeling. Aeri remained quiet after that. Nara could not handle the silent between them, so she left her alone to monitor the photoshoot. Aeri took the chance to let out a deep breath.

As much as she hated it every time Nara trying to knock some sense into her brain, she admitted the flaw in her relationship with Sungwoon. However, because of Sungwoon she decided to hold onto it. The flaw was long forgotten whenever she was with him. Because as mentioned previously, Sungwoon was everything Aeri had and she was scared to let him go. Hence, she was going to defend whatever they had till they decided to end it which scared Aeri even more. Again, because she was scared, she chose to be stubborn and selfish. Song Nara was once again, failed to move Song Aeri’s heart.