|| f o u r

Boomerang

The family gathering continued. This time, Jisung, Sungwoon, Minhyun, Seongwu and Daniel joined the ladies in the living room. Upon seeing Daniel entered the living room, Daeun, Sungyeon and Hyorin rushed to hug his legs which Daniel greeted with pleased laugh. Aeri was left behind by the girls but she did not mind at all. She turned to join Ahra, Jiyeon and Harin chatting. Jinhee was there too but she was more on the listening side. She barely commented whenever they were talking. Sometimes their chat merged with the gentlemen, so she preferred to stay silent.

Daeun, Sungyeon and Hyorin’s laughter filled the room as Daniel was entertaining them. It was known to everyone in the family that the girls favoured their Aunty Aeri and Uncle Daniel. Simply because they were not a parent. Funny how whenever one of them complained about their parents, the other two would think the same and that was how they agreed that Aeri and Daniel were fun to play with compared to their parents.

“Why are you still single when you can be a father already, Daniel?” Jisung suddenly blurted out the question. It crossed his mind when he was watching Daniel playing with the girls. Jiyeon heard the question by her husband so she joined the topic.

“We talked about it with Aeri just now. She would be a great mother in the future by the way we saw her playing with the girls.”

Daniel laughed as a respond. He had been getting the same question lately. Probably because he was at the right age to get married.

“I want to focus on the company, hyung. I’ll think about it later.” He replied. His hands were moving, pretending to cook because the girls were playing house and he had to cook for them.

“Aigoo, I know a lot of idol who would like to date you, Daniel.” Minhyun said. Minhyun was the CEO of an entertainment company, Mantis. He inherited the company from his father, the heir of Hwang family. The company was noted as a successful entertainment company as it produced many A-class singer, dancer and actor without any scandal. Given that Daniel was the heir of The K’s, Minhyun heard a lot of female idol would wanted to date Daniel. Not to forget, some idol flirted with Minhyun himself too even though they knew he was married.

“Stop giving such excuse, Daniel. Even Aeri is going to get married soon. You will be the only one left out.” Seongwu added.

“Aye, how about Dongho hyung?” Daniel asked, wanted to defend himself by mentioning their missing cousin’s name.

“Dongho already has a girlfriend.” Seongwu answered. He was giving a disappointed look at Daniel because the latter did not know the latest news about Dongho.

Dongho was currently living in Los Angeles. He was there to train as a pilot, the one he wished to become. He was supposed to compete with Daniel to inherit The K’s because the late Chairman Kang wished for the next heir to have Kang in his name and apparently, he only had two sons who gave birth to a boy. Dongho was fine when he needed to be trained to prepare himself as a CEO but in midway, he lost interest in it and wanted to stop. It brought disappointment to Chairwoman Kang, but she could not force someone with no interest to continue their legacy. So, she was left with Kang Daniel as the heir and she thought he suited the position well. Kang Daniel had the potential to expand the business with his dedication and creativity thus he was given a position in the company as the creative director while Chairwoman Kang remained as the CEO.

“How did you know he has a girlfriend? We all know he won’t tell us that.” Daniel argued. Seongwu let out a chortle at the question. The question was not funny but the memory of the day he found out about it flooded his mind. The answer to Daniel’s question was funny.

“I called him one day and a woman answered. I thought it was just a fling, but I heard her call him oppa. So, I bugged him on how he met a Korean woman there. He was so flustered because he was busted and that’s when he admitted it. I ask him if he is serious with her and you won’t believe that he said he is planning to bring her to meet grandma and all of us.”

Jisung’s jaw dropped at the story told by Seongwu. Sungwoon giggled because he never thought Dongho would be soft-hearted for a woman finally. Minhyun let out his infamous laugh while Daniel’s eyes widened at the unexpected revelation. The ladies smiled because they were glad the tough Dongho finally found a girl to fill his heart.

“I can’t believe he left me behind.” Daniel said, acting as if he was betrayed.

“Now you better think of a plan to get married, Daniel.” Minhyun sang his name.

“Uncle Daniel can’t marry anyone. Daeun want to marry Uncle Daniel!” Daeun interrupted them which brought laughter to everyone in the living room by her cute antic. Daniel reached for Daeun and hugged the little girl. She wrapped her arms around Daniel’s neck instantly and remained in his hug.

“Aigoo, you want to marry me? But I have to ask your appa first.” Daniel told her. Daeun looked up to face Seongwu who was adoring his daughter.

“Appa, can I marry Uncle Daniel?” She asked. Her eyes shined brightly with hope her father would agree to it. Everyone was waiting for Seongwu’s answer because they all knew he was head over heels for his daughter.

“You can if you hug and kiss me and not Uncle Daniel.” He replied with a loving smile. His heart blossomed when Daeun ran towards him and throw herself on his body to hug and kiss her. This brought laughter to everyone. Ong Seongwu was indeed a fool for his daughter.

“I heard someone is going to marry Daniel? Who is that? Is it Daeunie?” Chairwoman Kang’s voice filled the living room as she reached there, followed by her children and their spouse. The younger ones made way to give their seat to the elders. Most of them moved from sitting on the chair to sitting on the floor. The three girls followed suit including Daeun who was still sitting on Seongwu’s lap while hugging him. She was shy in front of her great-grandmother.

“Aigoo, look at her being shy.” Daeun’s grandmother, Sowon who had always adored her granddaughter cooed. Kang Sowon was the fifth child and last daughter of Chairwoman Kang. If someone was going to ask Aeri to describe her, she would tell them that Sowon was young at heart. She did not look her age too. Instead, she looked younger. Because she was a happy-go-lucky woman, Aeri found her as an aunt she could relate the most.

Aeri looked around. She saw a smile on everyone’s face and she was blessed to see this happy big family. Her eyes met someone’s, and they exchanged a sweet meaningful smile between them.

“It feels good to be able to gather like this again. We should plan a family holiday the next time.” Mirae, Chairwoman Kang’s first child and daughter and Jisung’s mother voiced out her suggestion. She was present in a baby blue straight-cut long dress. Her hair was tied in a bun and she was showered by expensive jewelries.

“I agree! Maybe we can pay Dongho a visit. It seems like that guy can’t remember his way home.” This time, it was Byunghun, Dongho’s father who suggested a location. The old man was a bit fat, but he was tall. Dongho took after some of his feature, meaning that Kang Byunghun oozed off a manly and tough vibe. Some of them agreed with his suggestion. Seongwu snickered at that. It appeared that he was enjoying Dongho’s miserable future if the whole family came to visit him.

“Can’t we visit Italy instead? We’re going to have a lot of shopping there.” Yeri, Chairwoman Kang’s second daughter and Sungwoon’s mother added. Her husband, Minwoo nudged her for that.

Just like Sungwoon, both of his parents had a fair skin. Kang Yeri had a petite figure and she had a small voice meanwhile Ha Minwoo was tall and his voice was not deep like most of men. One thing everyone knew about Kang Yeri was the fact that she loved to shop to the point Chairwoman Kang had to use her power to stop her from spending too much money. Minwoo was always in panic every time Chairwoman Kang had to meddle in.

“It’s shopping for you ladies but what are we going to do then?”

“You should appreciate the art there, Minwoo hyung.” Wonpil, SeongWu’s father answered. He was giving a double meaning in his statement which was understood by everyone except for the little girls in the living room. It caused a big roar of laughter among them, making the girls confused meanwhile Wonpil was pinched by Sowon, his wife. Ong Wonpil was a jokester. Like his wife, Sowon, he was young at heart too. Chairwoman Kang shook her head after hearing and watching her children antics.

“I’m fine with family vacation but I would want it to be before Aeri’s wedding. It will be held in the next seven months, right?” Chairwoman Kang looked at Aeri dearly. Aeri felt everyone eyes on her. She was flabbergasted but nodded anyway.

“That would be her last vacation as a single lady with this family. I also do not want it to be held three months before the wedding. We have so much preparation to do.” To tell the truth, Aeri was touched by her grandmother’s words. She felt so loved when she mentioned it would be her last vacation a single lady. She was almost brought to tears because she knew when a woman gets married, it was like she was given to the man’s family to be taken care of.

“I’ll plan it!” Minhyun offered. Everyone turned their head to look at his eager face. Minhyun smiled brightly at all of them.

“Won’t you be busy?” His father, Sungjae asked. It was not that he was against it. He was worried for Minhyun because he knew how busy he was to handle an entertainment company with rumour being shoved to him left and right. The mustache he had gave off a fierce expression on his face. However, he was far than fierce. Hwang Sungjae was in charge as a father figure to all his niece and nephew because he always cared and fight for what was right for them. There was a time when he fought with Daniel’s father because he was too busy to spend his time with Daniel.

“Nah, I won’t do it alone. I’m asking Sungwoon hyung to join me too.” Minhyun smiled mischievously at Sungwoon who was surprised his name was called.

“Me? Wow! You’re dragging me now, Hwang Minhyun?” Sungwoon sounded like he was betrayed. He looked at Minhyun as if he could not believe Minhyun did that to him. Minhyun laughed at his reaction.

“You went to a lot of places before, hyung. You should now where would be a good location for our family holiday.” Minhyun reasoned and Sungwoon bought it. He had no problem at all to help Minhyun. He indeed was always away for his work since he was the advertising director of The K’s.

“Alright then.” He replied, coolly. Yeri clapped her hands once Sungwoon agreed.

“It’s settled then. Minhyun and Sungwoon will plan it. It will be better if Jisung, Seongwu and Daniel help them with it too if you have the time. Let’s take this as our gift for Aeri who is getting married soon.” She announced. Jisung, Seongwu and Daniel nodded their head. Even if she did not mention it, they would surely help them out. They had been doing so many things together since their childhood. Plus, it was supposed to be something meaningful to Aeri.

“I can see that I’ll cry a river on the vacation.” Aeri joked, making everyone laughed.

“Don’t be, Aeri. You’re going to get married soon and we’ll always be your family. That fact won’t change as long as we’re here together.” Chairwoman Kang replied. Everyone nodded their head. Even though they were not related to Aeri by blood, they still loved her as what a family should. Plus, Aeri completed the family.

“Okay, let’s stop before grandma is getting emotional. Let’s take a family picture and send it to Dongho to make him jealous.” Seongwu loud voice filled the room as he took out his phone and raised his hand. All attention was on him who was going for a selfie. Daniel laughed at him.

“Hyung, do you expect us to take a family picture with a selfie? How do we fit in?” Daniel belittled his hyung.

“I was about to ask the same question. Aigoo, this child. How can I an old woman like me take a selfie?” Chairwoman Kang scolded to . Seongwu pouted which caused Daeun, Hyorin and Sungyeon to giggle at his reaction.

“I want to try the front camera of my new phone.” He muttered which was heard by Ahra. She found it funny because sometimes her husband could be innocent and ridiculous at the same time.

“I remember Aeri has a camera. Why don’t you bring it here, Aeri?” Ahra said, trying to salvage the situation created by her husband. Aeri nodded and rushed to her room right away. The elders started to chat among them and prepare themselves to look presentable while waiting for the camera. Meanwhile Seongwu looked at his wife and raised his thumbs.

“You’re the best, honey!” He made a cute face which Ahra replied with a light slap on his face. Seongwu was taken aback by that. He could hear Minhyun and Jisung snickered behind him.

“You should reward me later.” Ahra said with a smile. Seongwu knew the type of smile Ahra was showing him. It was telling him that her help just now was nothing and she did it out of love. The slap was just a playful gesture. He immediately brightened up.

Aeri came back with a camera in her hand, along with its tripod. Seongwu helped her with the set up and five minutes after that, they were ready to take a family picture.

“Everyone, say kimchi!” Seongwu hollered before he pressed the button and ran for his position to be inside the frame. He reached just in time beside Ahra who had Daeun on her lap and Minhyun who made space for him and posed with a smile. A faint click was heard, and the indicator light flashed off. They all made a variety of pose. There were time candid pictures of them were taken because they were arguing on their decided pose. The process was boisterous but that night the Kang family had another set of family picture and it was joyful.

The night continued. The Kang family did not want to end their gathering yet. Thus, after the photo session, they started a topic to be discussed. The talk was mostly on their well-being after a long time of not meeting each other such as Jisung and Jiyeon’s plan for their wedding anniversary and Hyorin telling them about Daeun who was unexpectedly talented in drawing. Aeri listened to all of it but she grew tired, so she looked around to find a figure. The person she was looking for was missing in the midst on the talk. Aeri was curious on the person whereabout but her gut was telling her that she knew where he was.

Aeri excused herself from the living room and climbed the stair to get to her room. Her head was beating faster as she headed towards it. She did not miss to be aware if someone was watching them. It was fortunate that everyone was downstairs and there were no maids around on the second floor. Aeri rushed a bit when she was near the door. She pressed the doorknob and pushed the door, allowing her whole body to be engulfed into the room. Her heart jumped as the door was closed and locked right away and a pair of soft thick lips caught her lips. Aeri did not panicked over it. She knew whose lips was it. She chuckled in their kiss as his hands made it ways to her waist and her hands on his chest. She closed her eyes in bliss.

It had been awhile since he was in her room. The thought of spending time with him for a while in her own space caused butterflies in her stomach. Both of them pulled away with a heavy breathing. Aeri slowly opened her eyes to see the face she missed even though they met the day before.

“You know, it’s been awhile since you’re here. In my room.” Aeri told him with a soft voice which sounded heavenly to his ears.

“I know.” He sighed before he continued.

“I miss the time when everything was alright for us.” Aeri hummed as a response. A surge of flashbacks came to her.

It was the Kang family dinner. The sixteen years old Aeri was quiet the entire dinner. All she did was smiling, nodding and shaking her head. She was not feeling good that day as she watched the entire family. There was a tug in her heart when she watched them. Her expression was dull when she was sitting alone at the balcony beside the living room. The Kang family was talking among themselves. Aeri did not know if she wanted to join them. Out of many family dinners, that night she felt left out.

“Are you alright, Aeri? You don’t look good.” A voiced startled her. Aeri looked to her left where the source of voice came. A concerned smile greeted her but Aeri could not find any strength to reflect it. She did not expect that someone would come up to her and realized that she was not in the mood. However, she refused to let anybody know what she was feeling currently. As someone who was raised by Chairwoman Kang, she had to control her emotion.

“I’m not. I’m all okay.” She denied as her eyes looked away. Aeri hated the feeling in her gut right now because she was at the brink of getting caught by her cousin.

“Aye, don’t lie, Aeri. You know you can tell me the truth.” The way he spoke made Aeri wanted to tell him whatever she had in her mind but still, she decided to stand by her resolution. She would never tell people what was on her mind.

“I’m not lying. I’m just fine here.” She refuted. The cold night breeze hits her exposed skin. Aeri shivered and crossed her arms on her chest to warm herself. Her cousin saw it, so he offered his jacket and placed it on her shoulder while saying gently on her ear.

“You can tell me, Aeri. I promise I won’t judge you or tell grandma about it.” The proximity between them and the warmth he radiated from his body comforted Aeri. She wondered what magic he used to make her feel like this. Aeri sighed because her heart was telling her to give in to him.

“I was only thinking if only my parents were here, would we be a happy family who had dinner together like this family.” Aeri muttered the truth. Her head was lowered when she told him that because she felt small in front of him. To her, at that age, having a family was everything and she had none. Although she called the Kang family as hers, it did not change the fact that they were not related by blood. The person who kept pushing her on telling the truth felt bad afterwards. He gulped while thinking of what to say to comfort her heart and mind.

“Well, Aeri, I can’t give you what you wanted but I know I can make you feel it.” He said. Aeri tilted her head in curiosity at his words. She blinked her eyes, wanted the answer from him.

“How?” She wondered out loud. Her body was shifted forward, a gesture that showed she was anticipating the answer.

“What is a father’s role?” He asked her but did not wait for her answer as he proceeded.

“A father should provide for the family, be responsible to every family member, protect his family, love his children equally, spend time with his family, be a problem-solver in the family, lead a discussion and decision making in the family and whatever you are going to answer just now.” He paused because he was looking at Aeri’s face to see her reaction. She was confused so he continued.

“Grandpa had done that for you. Am I right? Now, what a mother should do? You answer this time.” He gave a chance to Aeri to answer this time. Aeri hesitated a bit to answer but she tried anyway.

“She should take care and love her children. Also provide for her children. Urm, she should listen to her children’s problem and guide them.”

“That’s right. A typical mother’s role is to cook, wash the dishes, do the laundry, clean the house, take care of us when we are sick, am I right? But it doesn’t work in our situation, yes? Because we have maids, but I need you to remember something. Grandma had done that for you, right? All the things you mentioned just now?”

Aeri wanted to yell at his face on how true he was. She mentioned all the mother role just now while thinking of her grandma, Chairwoman Kang. Even though they had maids, there were times when her grandma would cook for her personally. She was there to listen to all her girl’s problem too even though she was older than typical mother to a teen like Aeri. Aeri did not replied because she was holding something back.

“Okay. Next question is, do you want siblings?” Aeri did not answer with . She nodded instead.

“You know there are seven of us. Jisung, Dongho, Minhyun, Seongwu, Daniel, me and lastly you. Aren’t we like a sibling already and you being the youngest and the cutest? We love you like our own sister. We are all a single child in the family and we are all boys. Having you completed us. Don’t you think so?” Aeri sighed when she realized the flow of his point.

“I know all of that already.” She said, not totally pleased with his way of comforting her. He sighed at her response.

“I told you before that I can’t give what you wanted, Aeri because I’m not a God. You may not have everything you wanted but you have whatever you needed in this world, Aeri. You completed this family and we completed you. We don’t have to be blood related to be a family. We don’t have to be experienced to be a parent. We just need to love and that’s what matter the most. Love is everything and you have it.” He added a quote from a book he read recently and silently thanked the author for it because he was starting to see a change in expression on her face after he said it.

His words hit Aeri at the most unexpected place, her heart and her brain. Aeri suddenly thought herself as a foolish person. He was right. Aeri wondered why she never thought that love was the most important of one’s life. A family would be nothing without love. If she, who had no family lost the love she was supposed to have in her life, then her life would be meaningless. She smiled at the thought.

“Thank you so much, oppa. I feel much better now.” She expressed her gratitude. He smiled in satisfaction. His hand travelled up to caress her hair.

“You’re welcome. You know you can depend on me, right? Don’t keep it by yourself anymore. It would do more harm than good to you. Understand?” Aeri nodded with a smile. She was truly grateful he found her that night. Even though she was skeptical at first, he was being patient with her the entire time.

“Sungwoon, let’s get going.” He looked at his back when his name was called by his mother. He turned to look at her smiling face.

“I have to go now. Take care, okay?” Aeri nodded and bid him goodbye. They exchanged one last smile before Sungwoon disappeared behind the living room door.

Aeri chuckled by herself upon remembering how stubborn she was just now with him and now she was loving the warmth he radiated through his words, smile and action. She made a mental note to add Sungwoon into her favourite oppa list. Aeri giggled and was about to step into the house but halted as she felt his jacket slipped on her shoulder. She gasped because she did not remember to return it to him but smiled when it crossed her mind that she would be meeting him again for it. Aeri could not wait for the day to come.

It was autumn and it was cold too. The eighteen years old Aeri found warmth in her favourite café at her favourite spot which was located at the corner of the café. On her left was a glass barricade and on her right was a wide lane for customers and waiters to walk. Aeri was in her school uniform. In front of her was a mathematics practice book she bought the week before. She was aiming to score her the subject on the next examination. The book was left opened at a specific page where Aeri was working on the questions. Beside the book was a pencil case belonged to Aeri and a cup of hot chocolate she ordered five minutes before.

“What are you staring at?” Aeri looked up to see Sungwoon in his blue-black blazer. He was wearing a white shirt inside and it was paired with a plain dark blue necktie. He just came from his intern session at The K’s. That was the reason he came to meet him in that attire. Aeri pouted to answer his question just now.

“I can’t get the correct answer to this and I can’t figure out why my answer is wrong.” She said as she put down her pen and pushed the book towards him. Sungwoon leaned in to check the question and her answer. He took a pen and work on it. Aeri was observing him with a smile on her lips. After a moment, his forehead scrunched. Aeri giggled at the sight.

“What’s funny? By the way your answer is correct. How can it be wrong? What is the correct answer?” Sungwoon asked. He was thinking hard that Aeri found it adorable.

“It’s 47.” Sungwoon frowned even more at her answer. It was her answer too so why was it wrong? He was dumbfounded. Aeri burst out a laugh at his reaction.

“I was kidding, oppa. There’s nothing wrong with the question and the answer. I was staring at the book because I was thinking of you and suddenly you appeared. I’m just happy so I teased you.” She told him the truth. Sungwoon’s heart melted upon her explanation. He laughed then leaned in to kiss her cheek.

“You’re good at teasing and answering the question.” He praised her. Aeri was flustered by the kiss. Her right hand immediately went up to touch her right cheek as her face heated up. She looked away to hide her nervousness. Sungwoon chuckled lightly at the sight. Aeri was too adorable in his eyes.

“What are we, Aeri?” His tone suddenly changed to a serious tone. However, he was looking at her with loving eyes. Aeri’s eyes widened. She was confused by the unexpected question.

“What do you mean by that?”

“What stage are we in right now? Cousins don’t date and kiss each other like us, Aeri. You don’t do the same with Jisung, Dongho, Minhyun, Seongwu and Daniel, right?” Aeri was taken aback by his question. Nonetheless, she shook her head shyly to his question.

“Am I just an oppa to you?” Aeri shook her head right away.

“No, you’re more than that.” She muttered softly while looking down. She was getting nervous with the situation they were in. Her fingers started to fiddle with the hem of her skirt.

“Then what are we?” Sungwoon pressed the question again. Aeri kept silent because she did not know how to answer the question.

“Do you like me?” Aeri’s breath stopped for a moment as soon as he blurted out the question. She was too stunned to answer the unexpected question. Her eyes were wide as saucer, her heart was beating faster, and sweats started to form.

Sungwoon took it that she was flabbergasted by his straight forwardness questions. So, he decided to step up.

“I like you, Aeri and I happened to love you too.” He confessed. Aeri who was tilting her head downwards raised her head in shock upon his confession. She wanted to say that she felt the same way too, but her tongue was frozen. All she did was to observe his face which flashed sincerity.

“If you like me too, then we can make it official. But I apologized that we have to keep it as a secret.” He continued.

Aeri totally understood why they had to keep their relationship as a secret. In the future, Sungwoon was going to inherit his father’s family business. Even though he was interested in working with The K’s, by hook or by crook, he had to take over soon. Meanwhile Aeri realized that she was going to be betrothed to someone given that she was the only granddaughter in the family. Both of their situation would cause trouble if it was to be found out that they were together.

Aeri sighed after she thought about all of it. She sent a troubled look to Sungwoon, making him nervous this time.

“I’m sorry, oppa.” His expression changed after she apologized.

“Because I like you too.” She continued and smile afterwards. Sungwoon leapt from his seat in joy and kissed Aeri right away. Aeri was surprised but she laughed after he pulled away. Although it was risky, Aeri could feel that she was going to regret it if she let a man like Sungwoon go just like that. That guy was more than what she could ask for.

“I’m sorry I’m so happy. You don’t know how much I want to kiss you like that.” Sungwoon babbled out of happiness but Aeri was embarrassed by his last sentence.

“And now I got myself a naughty girlfriend.” He concluded, causing Aeri to laugh at that.

“I’m nice and sweet rather than naughty, for your information.” She promoted herself, jokingly.

“I know. Why do you think I like you?” He replied which caused Aeri to cringe.

“Oh my God! That was so cheesy!” She exclaimed. Both of them burst into laughter but as the laughter subsided, they looked at each other lovingly.

Sungwoon was so happy to finally claim Aeri as his. He was frustrated that he had to be brother figure to her when all he did was showering her with affections. There were times he noticed that Aeri felt the same way, but he was not confident if she wanted to have something more between them since it was risky. Now that she agreed to it, he promised himself to make her happy and showered her with love, so she would not doubt it like the night that connected their heart.

“We are delighted to announce that Sungwoon is getting married to Jinhee.” Kang Yeri, Sungwoon’s mother announced while clasping her hands. A wide smile was spread on her face. Her eyes formed a small slit, giving off how contented she was with her news just now. Aeri could feel her heart skipped a beat upon the revelation. She could guess it the moment she saw the woman named Ahn Jinhee greeted the whole family at their family dinner. Aunt Yeri was very fond of her too. Everyone in the dining room instantly smiled and congratulated Jinhee and Sungwoon.

Sungwoon faked a smile while receiving the wishes, his eyes avoiding Aeri’s. Meanwhile Jinhee nodded her head bashfully at them.

“Congrats, oppa. Congrats, Jinhee.” Aeri congratulated them. Her voice cracked at the end as she was holding back her tears. It was too hard for her to bear the heartbreak she was having right now. She looked at Jinhee’s brightened expression. Jinhee was just a plain girl in Aeri’s eyes. She had a pair of small thin almond eyes, that when she formed a smile, her eyes disappeared. She had a pair of straight eyebrows that was not affected when she smiled. Her lips were thin, and her nose was round, small and the tip was slightly turned up. Her wavy black hair fell until above her chest. She also had a petite figure. Overall, Jinhee exuded gentleness from her appearance. Nothing was special about her, Aeri thought.

“Oh? Are you alright, Aeri? You don’t feel well?” The oblivious Daniel asked as he heard Aeri’s voice cracked. Aeri immediately shook her head to avoid getting caught.

“I’m fine. Just a bit excited maybe.” She laughed dryly before taking a sip of water from her glass. Sungwoon was looking and observing her expression. He knew she did not mean that. However, Aeri was looking at everything except him. The congratulatory wishes continued, and the family started to discuss about the wedding. Aeri felt suffocated hearing all of it so she excused herself, telling them she received an email from her groupmate on a project and she had to check it. Sungwoon knew she was lying, and his heart yearned so much to comfort her, but he could not. So, he only watched her walked away with a dejected expression.

Later that night, after everyone went home and the maids were preparing to finish their job, Sungwoon appeared on the second floor. He actually came back after sending Jinhee home. Sungwoon was experienced in entering the mansion for many times in the past two years to meet Aeri. He knew very well at that time of the day, everyone in the mansion already went to bed except for the maids. Hence, he entered the house after he was greeted by a maid and paid her to keep quiet about his visit. Of course, the maid accepted it and went away to do her job while letting Sungwoon climbed the stairs to the second floor.

He was cautious in every step he took to reach Aeri’s room. Upon reaching her room, he took out a key, given by Aeri to unlock the door and stepped in quietly. Sungwoon closed the door, turned around and look ahead of him. Aeri was on the bed, sleeping soundly as she breathed softly. Because she was facing the door, Sungwoon could see from far, in the dim room, how swollen her eyes were. His heart ached upon the sight. He walked towards the bed and fill up the space beside her on the king-sized bed. He lied beside her and started to her head gently. His heart broke as he did it, so he embraced her from behind, whispering to her ear.

“I’m sorry I can’t do anything about it.” He released a heavy sigh.

“I tried to fight but it would cause more damage to the family. I’m sorry, I’m the one to blame for this. I am too weak in this world, I don’t even deserve you.” He went on. No words could express on how upset Sungwoon was to himself and how sorry he was for not being able to fight for them.

“Will you stop loving me after this?” Sungwoon was startled when he heard her voice. Aeri was awoke since Sungwoon hugged her just now. Like him, her heart broke to hear him blaming himself on their situation. Sungwoon proceeded to hug her tightly. His head buried in her neck, his hand intertwined with hers on her abdomen.

“I will always love you, Aeri.” He professed. No one could ever change the feeling he had for Aeri. He loved her with all her heart. To him, Aeri completed him who was still lacking, and she brought a brand-new happiness to his life. Every time he looked at her face and smile, he would just want to kiss her and showered her with his love.

“What should we do if you get married later? We won’t be able to date anymore.” Aeri asked as her voice cracked once again. Tears were forming in her eyes, but she was doing her best to hold it. It was not the end yet until he said so, she thought.

“We dated secretly just fine. I think we can still do so if only you want to continue what we have now. If you want to, I want it too.” He replied. Aeri turned her body around so that she faced him. Sungwoon was taken aback by the change of their position but he was surprised by the present of her lips on his. Her hands went up to his jaw, holding it in place while his hands travelled to her waist. She pulled away shortly after that, looking straight at his eyes.

“I’ll be crazy if I let you go, oppa.” She answered, lovingly. Sungwoon’s heart was relieved by her answer. He sighed in bliss as he pulled her into a more intense kiss. While doing so, he flipped her over, so she landed on her back and he was hovering her. Her head caged between his hands.

“I love you so much, Song Aeri. Remember that.” He breathed out, making sure to see her expression when he said that. Aeri smiled as her heart blossomed at his claim. It felt so good to be loved like that.

“I love you too, oppa.” With that, Sungwoon smiled and leaned down to capture her lips again. Her hands crossed behind his neck, her fingers gripping on his soft locks while his hands travelled around her body, caressing it. She did not resist it and he could not stop. The kiss between them became more desperate and it led them to another event. That night, they were in their own world. A world without everything except the two of them. Because Ha Sungwoon was Song Aeri’s everything and because Song Aeri was Ha Sungwoon’s everything.

Aeri landed her head on Sungwoon’s chest. They had moved from hugging at the door, to lying on her bed. They did not even bother about being missing from the family gathering downstairs. They had done this for so many times without a trace since Sungwoon was married to Jinhee.

“Would you mind if we have a vacation oversea? Just the two of us, of course.” Aeri asked. She had always wanted to have a vacation with Sungwoon because the last time they went to a vacation together was four months ago. She also did not want Sungwoon to misunderstand that she was talking about the family vacation.

“Of course, I don’t mind. Where do you want to go this time?” Sungwoon loved the idea. He was thinking that it would be a great escape from his current life. He was getting sick of people asking him about child lately. Jinhee kept bugging him about it too that it annoyed him to the core. Why would he want a child with a woman he did not love?

“Let’s go to Thailand. I don’t have any acquaintance there or anyone I know related to the country, so we don’t have to be cautious all the time. I had enough from our vacation last time.” Aeri reminisced the last vacation they had. It was at Brazil and there, they met one of The K’s partner who was also on vacation. Luckily, she knew how to get away with it, but it was not comfortable at all as they were staying in the same hotel and often bumped into each other.

Sungwoon looked up as he tried to remember if he knew someone who had any business or relation with the country they planned to visit. To his joy, he had none.

“I don’t have one too.”

“Great! I’ll pick the best date for it!” Aeri cheered with an excited grin plastered on her face. Sungwoon did the same. He was pleased whenever she was happy about something.

“Okay. I’ll arrange everything after that.”

“You’re the best, oppa!” He chuckled at her cute reaction. An excited Aeri made his heart warm because she would only show this side of her to people who were closed to her. Sungwoon also knew, Aeri smiled the brightest in front of him and he was proud of it.

They cuddled together on the bed for a few more minutes. They were only silence filling the room as they enjoyed each other’s presence. After a while, Aeri giggled and it brought curiosity to Sungwoon.

“What’s funny?” He asked while bringing her closer to him. Aeri complied with a smile.

“We just met each other yesterday. We even kissed just now but I still miss you.” She confessed. Sungwoon’s heart bloomed as she said that. He had always thought that he was the luckiest man in the world to have Song Aeri as his lover and today, he wanted to claim it again. Sungwoon pecked her lips as a respond.

“Me too. It’s too bad we have to cut it short tonight because Jinhee is here. She must be looking for me now.” Sungwoon said as he remembered his wife who always panicked whenever he was not in her radar. Not because she cannot live without him, it was because she feared getting approached and asked about children by herself. Aeri frowned upon the mention of Jinhee. Sungwoon realized it so he instantly apologized to her.

“Aigoo! I’m sorry, baby. I’ll not mention her name anymore.” Sungwoon pulled her into a hug while caressing her back. He pulled away when she did not respond to it only to see her pouting. His heart made a leap at the sight. She was too adorable in his eyes.

“Awe, baby. Don’t make that face. Aigoo, should I kiss you?” Aeri blinked her eyes so he took it as a sign that he should proceed. So, he leaned in and kiss her on the lips once again only to be pulled closer by her. Aeri loved it when she was spoiled like this by him, so she sighed in bliss in their kiss. While two souls were pouring their heart for each other into the kiss, a big family was happily chattering among themselves, totally clueless of what was happening behind their back.