|| t e n

Boomerang

Yena stared outside the window of her neighbour’s house. It had been five days since the scandal news. It had been five days since her absence from work as well. Yena did not care if she was going to be fired for her absence at work. She was more worried for the numbers of reporters lingering in front of her house. She could see them from the place she was sitting which was on a bed in a small room prepared by Mrs. Choi, her 60 years old kind neighbour. She was the only one in the world who was kind enough to help her since her father did not return home after he went to make a police report. Yena could not stay at her house anymore because people can barge in her shabby house easily.

Mrs. Choi did not know what was happening that caused a lot of people swarming in front of Yena’s house. She was just worried for her because she knew Yena was always at home alone as her father went out for multiple work. Hence, she offered her to stay with her for the time being. After explaining the real situation to Mrs. Choi who wondered about her father’s absence, Yena was grateful that the old woman did not threw her away or looked down on her like other people. Instead, she hugged her while chanting how sorry she was for her. Yena cried like no tomorrow in her arms.

Yena sighed as she remembered her father. After leaving her that day, he never returned home. Yena thought he was going to come home to punish and scold her again, but he never came back which broke Yena’s heart. Yena thought, he must be ashamed of her. Who would not? Yena scoffed at herself. For the past four days she was trapped in Mrs. Choi’s house, she was scrolling the internet, looking for the progress of the scandal. Along the process, she saw the comments made for her too. People were cursing at her, for breaking up the hottest couple in the country. They accused her too, claiming that she seduced the Ennoia’s CEO and planned it all along.

Yena could not missed the text she received from her ex-classmates from school and college and her colleagues as well. Some asked her about the news and some even told her that they were disappointed at her. Yena broke down but she was grateful that at times like this, God was finally showing her who she could trust and who she should not. However, all of the comments and response she received made she realized the reason her father never returned home. She missed him a lot. It was the first time in her 24 years of life that she parted with her father. She was not used to be away from him, but the situation caused them to be like this. Yena was sure that even if her father wanted to return, he could not because of the people in front of their house right now.

Yena’s thought trailed to Jihoon this time. She knew the reporters were not able to trace him till today. All the response she read in the news was from his family’s representative. Her heart palpitated when she read that they were going to ask her about what happened. She wondered if they could find her. But the real question she would like to ask was will they believe in her? Yena knew they were trying to clean up their family name, so it feared Yena if they wanted to get rid of her when they found her. That was why Yena made a plan to leave Seoul and find a new job somewhere else when the issue subsided. She wanted to start a new life and forget everything.

Yena’s thought was interrupted when a there was a knock on the wide-opened door. Yena turned her head to see Mrs. Choi was standing at the door.

“Someone wanted to see you.” Mrs. Choi said which caused Yena to frown. No one knew where she was currently as she was in hiding at the least expected place. To have someone wanting to meet her made her nervous. She eyed Mrs. Choi.

“Who is it?”

“She said her name is No Wonhee.” Mrs. Choi answered. Yena frowned even harder. She never heard of that name.

“Who is that? I don’t know anyone with that name.” Yena asked as she tried again to recall if she really knows anyone with that name. The look on Mrs. Choi changed at her answer.

“Oh my God! I’m sorry, Yena. I thought you know her because she knows that you’re here. She was wearing a very nice outfit too. I thought she’s your colleague even though she looks a bit old to be one.” Mrs. Choi’s description caused Yena to stop thinking. She really could not detect who was this woman named No Wonhee. She stood up from the bed and approached Mrs. Choi with a reassuring smile as she held her wrinkled hands.

“It’s okay. I’ll go and check. She’s probably my acquaintance whom I don’t remember.” Yena said and walked out of the room. She stepped to the living room which was located downstairs, followed by Mrs. Choi who was worried for her. Yena’s heart dropped when she saw the woman. Her appearance did not look like someone she could call her acquaintance. The woman named No Wonhee was probably around 50’s as estimated by Yena. She had neat-combed short hair. She was wearing an off-shoulder black coatdress which was detailed with big buttons above the waist-line. She was wearing a belt to emphasize her petite figure. On her neck, she was wearing a pink-black polka dots scarf, tied comfortably. Her outfit was classy that it scared Yena.

Yena’s arrival was noticed by the woman who stood up immediately to greet her. She beamed her a warm smile, making Yena’s heart at ease a bit. Mrs. Choi was watching them carefully.

“You’re Kim Yena, right?” Yena nodded her head at the question threw by the woman. She was standing still from the place she stopped walking as she faced the older woman.

“I’m sorry for coming like this. It probably makes you uncomfortable. But I am here with good intention.” She started. Yena blinked her eyes in curiosity.

“Before that, let me introduce myself. I’m No Wonhee, Park Jihoon’s mother.” She continued. Listening to her introduction, Yena stopped breathing for a while. Her eyes widened in shock. She took a step back, startling Mrs. Choi who was standing behind her. They found her, Yena thought anxiously. Her eyes darted on Mrs. Park again and saw the woman smiled. Yena closed her eyes. She knew she was doomed.

Aeri closed the file in front of her. After five days, she finally finished all the file she was supposed to finish two days ago. She was distracted and was absence from work for one day which caused the delay of her work. Aeri looked at the clock to see it was showing 4.21 p.m. She stretched her body on the chair, realizing it had been four hours she was sitting after the lunch. That day, Jinyoung was the one who brought her lunch. She was thankful towards him and Daehwi who cared about her. Ever since the dinner they had together, Aeri liked being around them. They were her stress-reliever who always warmed her heart by how caring they were. They told funny and good stories too. It made Aeri thought that Jinyoung and Daehwi were meant to be best friend despite their position in the office.

A text came, notifying Aeri by its sound. Aeri grabbed her phone to see a text from Daniel.

Daniel oppa:

Aeri-ya, I’m sorry I can’t fetch you today. I have a dinner meeting today. Do you know anyone who can fetch you? Don’t take the taxi, it’s dangerous. If you can’t find one, I’ll ask my staff to fetch you.

Aeri bit her lips thinking who could help her since Daniel did not allow her to take the taxi. She did not mind taking taxi even though Daniel told her not to. As if Daniel did not know how stubborn she was. Aeri thought of Sungwoon so she texted him first to know if he can do so before answering Daniel.

Gongshil:

Oppa, can you fetch me today? Daniel oppa can’t fetch me because of a meeting.

Aeri looked at the phone, waiting for Sungwoon’s reply, knowing that he was going to reply fast when it came to her. As expected, a reply came a few moments later. Aeri pouted at the reply.

Dooly oppa:

I’m sorry, babe. But I have dinner with my in-laws today.

Aeri rolled her eyes while complaining.

“Everyone has plan tonight, except me.” She said bitterly. She left Sungwoon’s text without replying while thinking of a reply to Daniel. After Sungwoon’s reply, she did not have the mood to go straight back home. However, her answer must convince the protective Daniel. Aeri looked around her office, tapping her legs on the floor as she was thinking of a reply. An idea came which caused her to grin. Her fingers ran on the telephone on the office table.

“Lee Daehwi speaking.” Daehwi answered the call.

“Daehwi, this is your beloved creative director.”

"Yes, boss?”

“Are you free tonight? I don’t feel like going back home. My cousin is not fetching me today.”

“Oh, really? I actually don’t have plans but a friend of mine planned to meet tonight but she hadn’t confirmed it, so I can’t really give you absolute answer, boss. I’m sorry.” Aeri pouted again. Her shoulder slumped.

“A friend, huh? She, huh? You’re ditching your boss for a woman, now?” Daehwi on the other line laughed at her sulky tone.

“Boss, you’re not the only woman in this world. By the way, she’s my friend since high school. We’re not more than that. And I suggest you ask Jinyoung. That single and lonely guy is always free at night.”

“So, you’re not single and lonely guy like Jinyoung because you’re going to meet your so-called friend, right? I’m telling Jinyoung about this!” Daehwi laughed again which irritated Aeri.

“Go on. Go and tell your love Jinyoung. Now that you can talk to him, you’re going to his side, right?” Aeri rolled her eyes at his mocking tone.

“I regret asking you this in the first place.” She replied. Daehwi went hysteric this time. Aeri wondered if Daehwi was having too much fun teasing his boss.

“But I’m serious. Try asking Jinyoung. Why you don’t want to go back home though?”

“I need some fresh air and I want to enjoy myself. This past few days are suffocating me. The number of reporters is decreasing too. I’m sure it’s alright to walk around tonight.” Aeri sighed. What she told Daehwi was partly true. The other part was because she was upset Sungwoon could not fetch her because of his in-laws. Out of many days, she was finally free from Daniel, but he just had something to do which made her sulk. Sungwoon probably understood her reaction right now, explaining a lot of text on his name appearing on her phone screen.

“I understand you, boss. You’re right. You need fresh air and you need to talk to someone. I’m sure Jinyoung can help you with that.” Aeri might not noticed it but Daehwi was pushing Jinyoung’s name a little bit too much. Aeri was not aware that Daehwi was playing cupid for his best friend.

“Alright. I’ll ask him. Thank you, Daehwi and enjoy your date!”

“It’s not a date!” Aeri was lazy to entertain his denial so she ended the call. Aeri dialed Jinyoung’s office number afterward, knowing that he was at his table now that it was nearly 5 p.m. Aeri knew Jinyoung always go back on time. Daehwi was the one who told her about that when he meant to tease Jinyoung.

“Hello, Bae Jinyoung speaking.” Jinyoung’s deep voice greeted her, making Aeri amazed at how cool he sounded.

“Jinyoung, are you free tonight?” Aeri did not bother to introduce herself as she planned to . She wanted to know how he reacted since he sounded so cool when he answered the call.

“I’m sorry, but may I know who is speaking?” Jinyoung’s answer did not disappoint Aeri. He was a gentleman when he talked. Her lips formed a smirk.

“It’s me, Miss Aeri.” She decided to stop beating around the bush.

“Ah! Yes, Miss Aeri. What can I help you?” Jinyoung’s flustered reaction brought laughter to Aeri. She found his awkward personality funny even though they were talking more than before after the dinner.

“I asked you just now. Are you free tonight?”

“Yes, I am. Do you need anything?”

“Can you keep me company tonight? Daehwi have an unconfirm date tonight and my cousin can’t fetch me. I just want to walk around to relief some stress before going home.”

“I’m fine with it but is it okay? Won’t it cause trouble with the reporters and all?”

“I’ll wear my disguise as always. Don’t worry. So, it’s a yes?”

“Yes.” He breathed out. Aeri smiled in delight.

“Alright. See you at 5!” She ended the call almost immediately as she rushed to text Daniel who was probably waiting for her reply anxiously.

Jinyoung found himself in Hongdae, walking side by side with the woman of his dream. His eyes wandered around to see the shopping area which was packed with people, but it will end up on Aeri’s beaming face. Jinyoung was ecstatic when she asked him to keep her company today. He also received a text from Daehwi, wishing him good luck. Jinyoung guessed it was probably one of Daehwi’s idea to have Aeri with him that night. Jinyoung observed Aeri’s face again. Her eyes were looking everywhere in excitement, making him curious on how long had it been since she walked around like this. Jinyoung stretched his arm to grab her wrist when she was about to bump into a man. Aeri was startled by it that she had an eye contact with Jinyoung.

“Be careful.” Jinyoung smiled gently and let go of her wrist. Aeri pursed her lips shyly. A hand came up to cup her face as she was embarrassed by the incident.

“I’m sorry, I am too excited being here.” She explained. Jinyoung nodded his head in understanding.

“How long has it been since you’re here?” Jinyoung asked, curiously.

“I stop coming after my engagement is announced. The news blew up and I don’t really have freedom after that.” Jinyoung bobbed his head up and down.

“Is there anything you miss doing it here?” Jinyoung’s question caused Aeri to bite her lips as she was thinking. She already had in her mind on what she wanted to do once she came there but she was embarrassed to tell him because she might look childish in his eyes. Aeri did not know that when she bit her lips like that, it made Jinyoung lost his breath because she looked so cute doing that while wearing her spectacles.

“I actually have a list of things to do here. Please don’t laugh at me.” Aeri answered as if a child was persuading her mother to buy her something cute. Jinyoung found it adorable he wished her to stop making him go crazy with her little act. Controlling his feeling at its finest, Jinyoung assured her.

“No, it’s fine. It’s natural for you to have it. That’s why I asked just now. We can do everything you wanted to do.” Her eyes twinkled at his acceptance.

“Really? Then let’s get some food first! I remember a very famous hotteok stall around here.” Aeri excitedly replied and pointed at an area where she claimed a famous hotteok stall was located.

“Did you mean the stall which located beside the chocolate and ice-cream stall?” Jinyoung asked as he thought he knew the place Aeri mentioned earlier. Aeri nodded her head eagerly.

“You know that place too? The hotteok there is good, right? I always ask my best friend to buy me one, there. Come on, let’s get it!” Aeri held Jinyoung’s wrist, pulling him with her as she could not wait to start their food tour. Jinyoung felt butterflies in his stomach at her gesture. He did not say anything but followed her steps until they reached the stall. It was packed, given that it was well-known among the citizen, but it did not stop Aeri from trying the food. She willed to queue for it. Jinyoung was amused but complied anyway. He was standing beside her the whole time. The moment they had the food in their hands, Jinyoung could not miss the smile and sparkle in her eyes. She was enjoying it so much as they sat on a bench near the stall. Jinyoung enjoyed his part while watching her munching the hotteok. He smiled in bless, totally grateful that he was given this chance to look at the beautiful human being in front of him whom he loved with all his heart.

Jinyoung’s hand unconsciously raised up to Aeri’s hair which stuck to her cheek. The moment his warm hand touched her cold cheek, he was brought back to reality. Aeri was smiling shyly as she was caught eating clumsily in front of Jinyoung meanwhile Jinyoung cleared his throat, totally embarrassed that he moved like that. After they were done with the hotteok, Aeri insisted on trying ice-cream from an ice-cream pallor and finally naengmyeon from a stall she used to go. Jinyoung complied with her request without any hesitation which brought satisfaction to Aeri. She thought Daehwi picked the right person to keep her company that night. After the food tour, Aeri suggested them to wonder around the shopping street because she wished to buy some cheap and cute items for herself. Hence, they visited a few shops where Aeri ended up buying cute socks, hairpin and bracelet which caught her eyes.

It was 9 p.m. when they were done walking around the street. Aeri let out a satisfied sigh while grinning happily. She turned to see Jinyoung was looking down as they stopped in front of a tree.

“Jinyoung, are you tired? I’m sorry for making you walk with me.” Jinyoung was surprised hearing her apologizing to him. He quickly looked up and shook his head, denying her.

“No, no. I’m not tired at all.”

“Then why are you so quiet? You don’t even look at me.” She questioned, starting to feel distant.

“Urm, it’s just that… I have something for you.” Jinyoung confessed. He showed a small paper bag to her which she looked in curiosity.

“For me?” She asked dumbfoundedly. The shy Jinyoung cleared his throat but nodded nonetheless. He pushed it towards Aeri which she took it gladly. She wondered what did he bought for her. She did not see him paying for anything when they were walking and shopping just now. Or she was just oblivious of it because she was so into the cute items sold along the street. Aeri opened the paper bag to see a crystal crown-shaped hair clip. She took it out excitedly. It was one of the pieces she saw just now when they were in an accessory shop.

“I saw you eyeing and trying it just now. I know you like it, but I don’t know why you didn’t buy it.” Jinyoung explained. Aeri chortled upon that.

“I didn’t because it doesn’t suit me.” Jinyoung frowned as he disagreed.

“What are you saying? You look adorable with that.” Jinyoung did not regret being outspoken about that. He was ready to fight her about it because Song Aeri was the most adorable when she had the hair clip on her hair. Well, that was what he thought, and he did not want the view he had come to waste.

“Really? But doesn’t it look childish to have a crown on my hair?” Jinyoung firmly shook his head. He took the hair clip from her hand and clipped it right away on her hair. Aeri was flustered by his act but she let him do so. He took a step back to observe her appearance with the hair clip on. Aeri was anticipating his comment.

“You look lovely with that. I will buy you a real crown next time because I thought you deserved a bigger crown now.” His sincere comment made her night. She giggled in delight while hitting his chest lightly.

“You’re exaggerating, Jinyoung. Alright, I’ll accept it that I look adorable since you said so. Thank you for the gift.” She flashed him a sweet smile which he replied with a charming smile of his. Jinyoung might looked like he was calm and gentle but only God knows what kind of wave he was having inside of him when she did that. It pained Jinyoung so much to not being able to confess and kiss her right away. He feared he would scare her away when they were just starting to know each other.

“I think it’s time for us to go back. I don’t want your family to be worried.” Jinyoung said. A part of him did not want to end the date but a part of him forced him to be a gentleman to her and her family. Hence, he obeyed his other part, thinking it was for the best. Aeri nodded her head as she agreed with him. Plus, it was the first time she went home late after the scandal news, so her grandmother must be worried about her even though she already told Daniel that Jinyoung would send her back. Both of them walked towards the parking lot where Jinyoung parked his car to head back to their own house. The time they spent together made them feel contented that day. Aeri was contented because she was able to do everything, she wanted to do in Hongdae after a long time meanwhile Jinyoung was contented by just being with Aeri. Both of them will definitely not forget the night as it gave each of them a meaningful memory to remember to their heart content.