|| f i v e

Boomerang

The day Aeri waited for had come. It was Seoul Fashion Week. After a month of perfecting everything necessary, Aeri was finally smiling because the responses from the organizer and the brands participated were satisfactory. She was relieved when she received the praises the day before. Her team also successfully secured another collaboration with Seoul Fashion Week for the next show. Since she was the backbone of the Ennoia collaboration with Seoul Fashion Week, she was invited, along with Jihoon as the CEO, to the event on the first night. Their attendance to the event was spread nationwide, making people anticipating their appearance that night.

Aeri reached the event with Jihoon in Jihoon’s car, drove by his driver. She was dressed in a knee-length red jewel collar shift dress with long chiffon-sleeves. The dress had raised double circle pattern on it, except for its sleeves. The collar was filled with diamonds which shone brightly when it met the flashes from the reporters. She matched the dress with a pair of red socks that reached two inches above her ankle and a pair of red ankle strap wedges. The dress was a gift by her grandmother and it was designed specially for her. If people were to find out the brand of her dress, they would never find out where it was from. She was also wearing a set of pearl jewelries, given by Jihoon as a congratulatory gift.

Beside her, Jihoon was clad in maroon coloured two-piece leather suit with a black deep V-neck shirt inside. A loose black satin ribbon was used as a choker and he matched the outfit with a pair of black dress shoes. His hair was styled into comma hair that day, catching people’s attention. The event was no different than any other events. The reporters swarmed the entrance as if there were no guards in charge in the first place. The arrival of the couple was the most awaited one. Jihoon was relieved he had the thought to bring his own bodyguards to protect him and his fiancée, especially. He looked at Aeri who was worried alone about passing through the reporters. Jihoon took the chance to hold her hand, moving her eyes to his face.

“Don’t worry. My bodyguards are here. We’ll come out when they are ready.” He calmed her. Aeri nodded her head afterwards. She looked outside and saw the bodyguards were making way for her and Jihoon. After it was sure to be safe for them to walk down the aisle, one of the bodyguards opened the door for them. Jihoon went out of the car, followed by Aeri. The moment both of them were clear to the reporters’ eyes, flashes started to blind them.

Aeri and Jihoon managed a smile on their face. They raised and waved their hands to reporters who demanded a good picture of them. Of course, they could not miss the question threw by the reporters.

“When is the wedding?”

“How is the preparation for the wedding?”

“Are you really in love with each other?”

Aeri and Jihoon heard every single of the questions clearly but they chose to leave them hanging. They proceeded to walk inside the venue with a smile remained on their face.

Once they reached inside safely, they were greeted by an usherette. Aeri and Jihoon heaved a sigh of relief as they allowed themselves to be guided to their seat. Once they were seated, Jihoon immediately turned to Aeri, checking if she was alright.

“Are you alright?” He asked, in concern. His voice was so soft and gentle, it could melt people’s heart, but it was not the case for Aeri. She nodded her head with another sigh.

“I’m fine.” She answered, looking down to fix her dress. While doing so, her hair stuck to her cheek. Jihoon noticed it and quickly helped her to fix it. The intimate move surprised Aeri but she acted unaffected by his gesture. Deep inside, she knew Jihoon’s act was genuine.

Aeri and Jihoon did not have any chance to talk more as they were greeted by a few fashion designers involved in the events, thanking and congratulating them on their hard work and great contribution to Seoul Fashion Week. They even got invitation for dinner and featuring from them. Some of them even wanted them to model for their fashion line in the future. As the representatives for Ennoia, it was a must for them to welcome every offer and maintain good relationship with them. Hence, Aeri and Jihoon managed a nod at them while suggesting it was good to discuss about it later. After countless encounter and interaction with them, they were then left alone.

Aeri’s eyes wondered instantly, looking for two familiar figures. It was noticed by Jihoon who frowned upon wondering who she was searching for.

“Who are you looking for?” Jihoon wondered out loud. Aeri was distracted by his question so she looked at him for a moment to answer him.

“My team.” She answered, simply. She was looking for Daehwi and Jinyoung as they were in charge of the show that night. She was informed by Daehwi that they had reached the venue and they should meet once she arrived. Jihoon sulked at the mention of Aeri’s team. As the CEO, he was well aware of the one in charge for that night, so he knew exactly who she was looking for.

“Hey, you come as my date and you’re looking for your team?” He pouted a little, making Aeri cringed but she decided to let it pass. Her eyes continued to spot Daehwi and Jinyoung among the crowd.

“I don’t know many people here. They are the ones I know.” She reasoned out. Jihoon’s shoulder slumped at her ignorance towards his reaction.

“Then how about me?” Aeri swore she was about to roll her eyes at that childish question.

“My fiancé, of course.” She muttered, half-heartedly.

“That’s right and your future husband so you have to learn to rely on me at time like this. Not them.” Jihoon stated. Aeri stopped wandering her eyes around the hall. She faced Jihoon and made sure her annoyed face was enough to tell him that she was annoyed.

“I don’t want to talk about this here.” She warned him. It was frustrating her that Jihoon insisted on bringing up the topic of their relationship when she clearly told him that she does not feel the same. Jihoon chuckled at her respond, thinking it was adorable.

“I’ll win your heart, Aeri.” He vowed and winked at her. Upon that, Aeri was about to roll her eyes for real this time but it was stopped by Jihoon who placed his hand on hers.

“Don’t do that. You need to control your expression and feeling. People might catch us and speculate our engagement.” He stopped her with his gentle smile which brought more annoyance to Aeri. She had no choice but to hide her irritation. She ended up punching him on the shoulder playfully. It might look like they were joking with each other but Jihoon knew she was propagating her annoyance on him through her punch which was quite strong for Jihoon to understand it. He laughed upon realization. His laugh was cut short when a voice greeted them.

“Fancy to see you here, boss.” Daehwi said, jokingly. Aeri’s face brightened up when she saw the both of them. It was obvious to Jihoon’s eyes. He knew Aeri needed them because she did not want to spend time talking or entertaining him.

“Daehwi, Jinyoung!” Jinyoung’s face filled her eyes as he showed up next to Daehwi with a small smile.

“Looking fabulous, boss. You too, Mr. Park. You’re so hot! Look at the girls, they are all eyeing you. Luckily you have Miss Aeri beside you. Am I right, Jinyoung?” Daehwi did not miss to include Jinyoung in his chat. He nudged him by the elbow. Jinyoung who had his eyes entirely on Aeri nodded subconsciously. He was smiling alone even though it looked like he was exchanging smile with Aeri.

“Yes, you look stunning.” Jinyoung asked in dazed, completely ignoring Jihoon who was watching their interaction. Aeri smiled shyly as she touched her cheek.

“Thank you. You’re looking great too. I almost thought you’re one of the VIP.”

“I wish!” Daehwi joked and it made Aeri chuckled.

“I hope you can give your best for tonight’s show because as you see, Mr. CEO is here.” Aeri nodded at Jihoon. The latter giggled at the way she motivated her team. Aeri glared at him, making him stop. In Daehwi and Jinyoung’s eyes, it seemed that Jihoon was teasing her and Jinyoung envied him.

“Don’t worry, boss. You can trust Jinyoung.” Daehwi patted Jinyoung’s shoulder. It was obvious he was helping Jinyoung to join their conversation. Aeri glanced at Jinyoung with a smile.

“I know. I’ve always loved his works. It’s a masterpiece.” She agreed and beamed a sweet smile at Jinyoung after praising him. Jinyoung felt like he was about to explode from containing his smile and happiness at her praise for him. Plus, she did so while giving her the most beautiful smile he ever seen. Daehwi pursed his lips to prevent himself from laughing because Jinyoung’s reaction was hilarious.

“T-thanks.” He thanked her for the compliment but stuttered. It was obvious he was being awkward in front of her.

“Wow! I’m jealous that Aeri loved your works. It’s hard to please her.” Jihoon told Jinyoung whose smiley face started to turn sour when Jihoon opened his mouth. Meanwhile on Aeri side, she obviously knew Jihoon was throwing hidden meaning in his speech. Her eyebrows scrunched together, her forehead wrinkled as she looked at Jihoon.

“What are you talking about? You’re always spreading nonsense.” She laughed a little to cover her scolding for him in front of her team. Jihoon giggled at the claim, making Aeri to push him a little. The interaction between them did not even missed in Jinyoung’s eyes as he watched them in pure envy.

Daehwi noticed it and was worried his best friend was going to explode as it was known that Jinyoung could not hide his feeling very well. He cleared his throat, gaining the couple’s attention.

“I guess we’ll see each other after the show end. I am going to introduce Jinyoung to my acquaintance. See you later, boss, Mr. Park.” Daehwi excused themselves, politely. He bowed a little and pulled Jinyoung away after the latter half-heartedly bowed to them. Aeri nodded her head in agreement. She watched them walked away and let out a heavy sigh.

“What’s wrong?” Jihoon asked, referring to her heavy sigh. Aeri formed a bitter smile to answer him.

“I feel bad for acting like that in front of them.” She answered him. Inside, Aeri did not feel good about pretending in front of the two of them especially Daehwi who she considered a good friend to her. She hated it when people believed in her act when she was around Jihoon to begin with. To see them leaving after watching their interaction clearly told her that they thought it was some of their love quarrel and wished to not disturb their moment, Jihoon did not understand what she meant by that. He looked at Aeri in bewilderment.

“What do you mean by that?” Aeri wanted to tell him her answer but she chose to keep it. She did not want to hurt Jihoon more. It was enough she told him that she did not feel the same. It was the reason she did not want to talk about their relationship further. It was often stopped by her whenever Jihoon had the chance to bring it up. Aeri shook her head and looked ahead to see the show was about to start as the host was about to step on the stage. Jihoon’s question remained unanswered but he did not ask further. He was used to Aeri ignoring his questions or simply refused to answer it. He then followed Aeri to focus on the show. The room was dimmed, colourful lights came in different direction. Loud upbeat music was played, and the host grabbed his mic. Seoul Fashion Week officially started.

After the show, Aeri and Jihoon head off to have dinner at Aeri’s favourite restaurant. While eating, a question crossed Aeri’s mind as she watched Jihoon enjoying his food. She put down her cutlery to look at him and ask the question that came to her.

“Do you have any favourite restaurant, Jihoon?” She did not know why but she felt like she needed to ask. From the moment they were engaged, they had never been to a restaurant Jihoon suggested. It was all on Aeri and she decided very well. Jihoon was thrilled that she asked something related to him after so long. Usually it was him who asked her whatever he wanted to know. She was never interested in what he wanted or loved.

“I always enjoy western and Italian food.” He answered after he was done munching his food which was spicy cold noodles. Aeri was having her favourite jjamppong. They also ordered dumpling and spicy rice cake as the side dishes. Many people might expect them to have dinner at high class restaurant, but it was known to the public by now that the couple enjoyed going to fine restaurant with Korean cuisine as it was Aeri’s favourite. Her taste in food was unique that it brought amusement to Jihoon.

“Then, are you okay with the choice of restaurant we went before this?” Jihoon nodded his head.

“Yes. I don’t mind actually. We are going to get married so I have to get used to your favourite too.” He answered. If in front of him was not Aeri, his words would definitely loved and appreciated. However, it was Aeri who was sitting in front of him and receiving those words and effort. Her heart had a very tall and hard wall. It was almost impossible for Jihoon’s words and gesture to break it.

“Do you really love the idea of getting married to me?” Aeri could not help but bring up the topic when Jihoon brought it up in his answer just now. This time, Jihoon put down his cutlery. He was aware that they were going to have this talk.

“I know this is an arranged marriage, but I want it to be special to me and you, so I learn to love you. And you know, what? It’s easy to fall for you. I know you have a lot of admirer but I’m glad you’re mine. And I can’t wait until it is going to be official.” Aeri was speechless at his explanation. Her heart broke for him, knowing that she was going to destroy whatever rainbow feeling he had.

“Why it is hard for you to open your heart for me, Aeri? I promise I will fix my weakness if that’s bothering you. Because we’re going to live together eventually.” Jihoon continued. Aeri cringed at the thought of living together with him. She closed her eyes and shook her head. The burden in her heart was getting heavier as the talk lengthened.

“What’s wrong?” Jihoon asked when he saw her doing that. Aeri opened her eyes to see his concerned look. She breathed out heavily. How she wished her burden was lessened with every heavy sigh she released.

“I really could not imagine a life with you, Jihoon.” She confessed.

“I know it will take time and I’ll give you that as long as this marriage is not a loveless one.” Aeri groaned in frustration at his answer, leaving him in confusion.

“You don’t understand, Jihoon.”

“What is it that I don’t understand?” Jihoon started to frown.

“That I can’t love you.”

“Ever? How would you know that?”

“I just know.” Aeri’s answer was not received well by Jihoon. His brain was working to think of the reason Aeri insisted on saying that without even trying to love him. He came to one possibility and he braved himself to ask her that.

“Do you have someone you love?” Jihoon took the chance to look at her change in expression. He noticed it with his sharp eyes and he wanted to praise Aeri for managing to cover it up in a split second. Had he not prepared to see her reaction, he would not get the answer he wanted.

“I don’t mean that.” Aeri denied.

“You do.” Jihoon ignored her answer. He was sure that Aeri had someone she loved and that was the reason she could not love him or even try to love him. Aeri heaved a heavy sigh for the nth time that night. It was getting harder the further they talked about this.

“Jihoon, I don’t want to hurt you. That’s why we’re having this talk.”

“So, you want me to stop. Because it’s business after all and you’re going to live like that for your whole life.” Jihoon was now clear her intention on having this talk. She wanted him to stop having feeling for her because she was going to hurt him at the end of the day. Because she already had someone she loved. He also understood that Aeri did not want any feeling attached in the wedding because their marriage was for business matter and she did not want to live that way for her whole live. Aeri stayed quiet, contemplating on what to reply. After all, everything he said was true. Jihoon sighed at the lack of reaction. He picked up his cutlery, wanted to continue his meal.

“Finish up your food. I’ll send you home.” He told her, not looking at her anymore. Aeri complied but it was hard to finish her food after their argument. She felt bad and it was the first time Jihoon was upset at her. All these while the man had always been patient with whatever she did and said to him. Perhaps, she broke his heart already. Aeri sighed inwardly for failing to end the conversation in a good way. The journey back home was filled with silence. Jihoon had not spoken a word to Aeri after their argument. He dropped her in front of her house, did not miss to wait until she entered the gate and it made Aeri felt relieved. At least he still cared, she thought. Once Aeri disappeared behind the gate, he instructed his drive to drop him at an exclusive night club.

Jihoon was not a fan of night club. It was rare to see him there. The only time he would go there was when he had to drink with his business partner or when his friends were holding a party. But tonight, was an exception. He felt the need to be there. He felt like he needed the drinks there to think straight after the dinner with Aeri. He asked for a drink as soon as he sat by the bar. The drink appeared in no time and he gulped down a bit of it as he remembered his assumption on Aeri having someone she loved. Jihoon wondered who it was. He was jealous of that person because as what he told Jinyoung at the show, it was hard to please Aeri. He envied the man who was able to make Aeri fall for him.

His messed-up thought started to produce more questions. He wondered if Aeri smiled sweetly and sincerely in front of that person. He wondered if Aeri cared for whatever the man did. He wondered if they kissed because he never had the chance to. Jihoon gulped down his drink again. This time, he was thinking of all of his effort in winning her heart. He felt stupid, but he did not regret it that his effort was in vain. He only wanted to know what he was lacking that he could not win her heart, even from the man Aeri was in love with. The more the thought about that, the more he got frustrated. He continued to gulp down the drink. He did not even realize he was asking for more. All he knew was to finish up the drink, to have the drink washed away the thought he was having. That night, Jihoon was wasted. He did not realize that a consequence was coming the next day when a hand stopped his hand from drinking more.