|| s e v e n t e e n

Boomerang

Chairwoman Kang threw the file she was reading just now with a huff. Her heart was on fire, her blood was boiling. Her fury sprang to life after she read the report sent by the spy whom she hired to keep Aeri in tab. She regretted her decision for not asking for it previously. It was all because she trusted her only granddaughter. Her personal assistant was standing quietly beside her with two hands clasped together in front of her. She was curious of the content of the file which made Chairwoman Kang to be in rage. To add to that, she was nervous of her next move too. It was the first time she saw her being angry and from what she heard, an angry Chairwoman Kang was never a good sign no matter who you are in her life.

“Call Aeri, right now.” Her stern voice broke the peace in the room. Her assistant’s shoulder jumped at that, thanks to her nerve but nodded her head, nevertheless. She left the room to call for Aeri. The door of the library was closed, and Chairwoman Kang stared at it, waiting for the face she was calling to appear as soon as possible. It was not a long wait for her as Aeri entered the room five minutes after. Her personal assistant followed suit.

“Leave us alone.” Chairwoman Kang spoke. Hearing that, her personal assistant disappeared in blink even though she was curious of what was happening. Aeri followed the assistant’s figure until she disappeared behind the closed door. Her act was observed by Chairwoman Kang sharply. The old woman noticed her granddaughter’s swollen eyes and bloated face which showed she cried before or a day before. Chairwoman Kang could guess the reason Aeri cried over the news she broke yesterday. After receiving the report today, she understood perfectly why Aeri refused to marry Daniel unlike when she was asked to marry Jihoon. The corner of her right lip quirked upon the thought.

“I assumed that you are aware that you’re marrying Daniel no matter what.” Chairwoman Kang started. Aeri looked up to meet her eyes. She was begging her through her eyes and Chairwoman Kang read it perfectly.

“Grandma, please consider this decision again.” Chairwoman Kang raised her eyebrows. She was curious of Aeri’s reaction which was different from yesterday. It was getting interesting to her.

“For what reason I have to consider my decision?”

“It’s wrong, grandma. Daniel oppa is like a brother to me.” Hearing Aeri’s answer, Chairwoman Kang clucked her tongue as she hit the right button. She was sure her next question for Aeri would send her to a panic state.

“Then, aren’t Sungwoon supposed to be a brother to you too?” Upon that question, Aeri’s face lose its colour. She was as pale as a ghost. Her eyes were dilated, was ajar. On top of that, her tongue was frozen, and she was having palpitation. Chairwoman Kang smirked at that. She leaned her back comfortably on the chair, her arms rested on the arm rest as she looked at Aeri.

“Aren’t you supposed to say ‘yes’ right away?” Aeri trembled at the question. Her eyes shook in panic. She could not open to answer. Her tongue was tied. Chairwoman Kang shook her head. Even though she expected this reaction, she was pretty mad about it now that the truth was revealed. She stood up to walk toward Aeri who was standing at the opposite site. Aeri stood still, controlling her breath. However, as her grandmother was getting close, she started to breath heavily because of her anxiety.

Aeri knew that the secret she kept for years was busted and she had no way to run from her grandmother. The moment her grandmother brought up Sungwoon’s name out of nowhere could only mean one thing. She knew about their relationship and Aeri was not in position to fool her.

“Tell me, Song Aeri. Are you dating Sungwoon behind my back?” Aeri heard the question clearly as her grandmother’s voice passed her back but had no courage to answer it. The question was left hanging. Aeri looked down on the floor and an unexpected slap came to her right cheek, making her head turned to left. Aeri was shocked despite the stinging pain on her cheek. She slowly faced her grandmother as her trembling hand covered her red cheek. Tears were threatening to fall from her eyes. She could see through her glassy eyes that the expression on her grandmother’s face completely changed. She was simmering with anger.

“I raised you not to sleep with someone’s husband!” Chairwoman Kang raised her voice this time. Aeri felt it was unfair when she said that, so she gained the courage to speak up.

“We’re in love even before he is married.” She said through her gritted teeth. Her hand was still holding her red cheek and her eyes made an effort to fight Chairwoman Kang’s.

“Then you should have known when to back off. Huh! No wonder Sungwoon and Jinhee are not conceiving yet. It must be because of you.”

“He doesn’t love her!”

“Shut up! After all these years, I raised you up. I gave you family, I gave you food, a place to stay, education and all you did is shamelessly lie to my face. I can’t believe you, Song Aeri.”

“I won’t do this if you are not controlling my life. I have the right to love the man I love.”

“And I have the right to pull away all the privileges I gave you. I did everything I could for your best, but you can’t even appreciate it.” Chairwoman Kang cut Aeri’s continuous attempt to fight her and it made the younger one to fall into silence. Aeri had always realized that she had nothing to go against her grandmother. If there was no God, her grandmother would be one for her. She lived because of her and if she took everything from her, she was left with nothing.

“You are marrying Daniel or…” Chairwoman continued after a long pause. She took a look at Aeri’s face to see her reaction and she was obviously nervous for the next sentence. Aeri knew there was a bad consequence to be told to her.

“I’ll make sure to remove his whole family from this family.” Aeri gasped and looked at Chairwoman Kang as she could not believe she had the heart to do that to her own grandson and child.

“You wouldn’t do that! Sungwoon oppa is your grandson!”

“And that’s what I’ll do to my grandson who lied to me and even commit adultery.” Hearing that, Aeri was scared to death. She felt small too, in front of her powerful grandmother.

“I can punish you more than this but no, I’m going to use you for Daniel’s benefit. If it is not for it, I’ll have you be the poorest woman on Earth.” Chairwoman Kang’s words went through Aeri’s heart that it hurt her, but she said nothing. Since there was no more response from Aeri who finally had the reality sank in her, Chairwoman Kang acknowledge her victory. She gave one last look at Aeri before muttering her next words.

“You decide and tell your decision, Aeri.” With that, Chairwoman Kang left the room. Right after the door was closed, Aeri fell on her knees. All her energy was gone. She wondered what made her stood on her ground just now. Staring at the floor, she was thinking of what she should do. Her mind was in mess. Her grandmother’s words kept playing in her head like a broken cassette. Helplessly, she cried on the floor, as the burden was taking a toll on her emotion.

Sungwoon’s stomach knotted up when he heard from his maid that his grandmother was paying him a visit. It was unusual for her to do that. It was always the grandchildren who came to visit her. He could not help but to assume that a disaster was coming, given that he was not able to contact Aeri since morning. Nevertheless, there was a tiny hope that it was not the case. Even though he appeared composed, his legs were shaking as he made his way to the living room, where Chairwoman Kang was waiting for him. His heart was beating harder against his ribs as he approached the room. Upon showing up his face, he tried to raise his lips up into a smile to greet the elder.

“Grandma, what brings you here? How are you?” Sungwoon asked, politely. Chairwoman Kang smiled at the sight of his grandson who took a sit in front of her. She put down a cup of tea in her hand on its saucer.

“I’m doing well nowadays. I’m just spending my time to visit my grandson. It’s been a while since I saw you. Where is Jinhee?” Chairwoman Kang eyes wandered around the house to find a trace of Jinhee. Upon that question, Sungwoon gulped, remembering the last time he saw his wife. It was the night she caught his and Aeri’s phone call. The next morning, she was gone. Sungwoon had to call her assistant to know where she was and as expected, she was at her parents’ house.

“She went to visit her parents this morning.” Sungwoon answered while trying to compose his expression so that it would not be suspicious in his grandmother’s eyes. Meanwhile Chairwoman Kang frowned at his answer. Knowing what was happening between the two of them, she had a feeling there was something off with Jinhee’s disappearance. She wondered if this had been going on for a long time.

“Why don’t you go together with your wife to visit your in-laws?”

“I came back late last night, and I was tired, so I slept in this morning. I’ll go after this when I pick her up.” Sungwoon answered to convince his grandmother into believing what he was saying.

Sungwoon observed his grandmother in a cautious manner. Even though they had exchanged a few sentences, he still did not know what was behind his grandmother’s appearance at his house. This was the second time she visited his house. The first time was four years ago when he just moved in with Jinhee. Chairwoman Kang sipped a drink from the cup again. The corner of her eyes was observing Sungwoon as he did as well. A silent filled the room while Chairwoman Kang took her time to gulp down the drink and put the cup down once again.

“I’m sending you to America and you will live there permanently.” As Sungwoon wished, Chairwoman Kang finally conveyed the meaning behind her visit. She was there to inform him this. Sungwoon was taken aback by that.

“I’m sorry, grandma. But for what?” Sungwoon understood if she was sending him there on behalf of The K’s but to live there permanently, it was as if she was chasing him out of the country forever. And he wanted to know the reason for it.

“Because you betrayed my trust.” The statement caught Sungwoon’s attention but at the same time, it made him confused. What kind of trust she had for him and what had he done to betray that trust? Is it related to him being in a relationship with Aeri? Are they busted and receiving the punishment now? These kind of thought filled up his mind in one go.

“What do you mean by that, grandma?”

“I’m marrying Aeri to Daniel and I am not going to see her choose you. You are going to leave this country and never come back, or I’ll remove your family from my family.” Hearing the shocking news, Sungwoon figured that her relationship with Aeri was revealed and his grandmother already had a punishment for him. This punishment was not only for him. It was for his family as well and he could not risk them for his mistake. Sungwoon quickly kneel down on the floor in front of Chairwoman Kang with his head lowered down.

“I’m sorry, grandma. I did wrong but please don’t do this to my family. I’m sorry for betraying your trust.”

“What are you apologizing for? There’s no need. I’m not forgiving the two of you. You’ll break it off with her and live there permanently. I’ll prepare a house and all documents for you and your wife. And I’ll expect a child from you within a year. Make up with your wife and be a husband you should be. Your parents married you off with a responsible on you, Sungwoon. Not for you to act as you like and ignore your role. What will your in-law say later?” Chairwoman Kang was someone who was firm on her decision and everybody in the family knew that. Sungwoon shrunk once he heard all the plan she had for him. He knew he messed up big time for her to plan this in detail. However, Sungwoon did not give up. He continued to apologize to Chairwoman Kang.

“I’m truly sorry, grandma. How do I make it up to you? Please, I’m sorry. Just punish me as you want but please don’t involve my parents for my wrong-doing.”

“Why not? They should know what their son had done to his wife and Aeri.” As if talking to a stone, Sungwoon’s plead did not go through Chairwoman Kang’s heart.

“Please! I’ll listen to you, grandma. Please don’t tell my parents about this.” At that, Chairwoman Kang’s lips formed a satisfied smile. She knew if she pushed a little bit he will abide to her words.

“Good. The wedding will be held in three months and you’ll be gone after the wedding. From today onward, you are not allowed to see or text Aeri. If I find out that you manage to see her, forget about going to America. I’ll make sure you are no longer in the family the next minute.” With that, Chairwoman Kang stood up and walked away, leaving Sungwoon defeated on the floor. The guy had nothing to say against the elder because he knew his life was done for. Chairwoman Kang had made it clear for him that there was no way for him to be with Aeri unless he was willing to drop his family and live in hell after that. Sungwoon’s breath became heavier after that thought. He cupped his face in frustration. A stream of tear slid out from between his fingers. On that day, a man in love was defeated by the power of the world he lived in.

A dinner in the Kang mansion was silent for the first time ever since the late Chairman Kang passed away. Only the sound of utensils clucking between each other could be heard. Sometimes, there was sound of water being poured by the maids could be heard. The silence was keeping everyone on toes including the people being served. Aeri was eating with a solemn expression. Daniel looked calm but he found it awkward to eat in this mood. Meanwhile Chairwoman Kang was having her meal as usual, not bothering what was going on in her grandchildren’s mind. She noticed the coldness during the dinner but decided not to talk on it. In the middle of the dinner, she finally spoke up, gaining attention from Aeri and Daniel.

“I’ll make an announcement regarding the wedding next week.” Chairwoman Kang said in resolute tone. Daniel was taken aback by the statement. His eyes darted to Aeri right away, but he could only manage to do it for a little time, seeing Aeri was uncomfortable by it. He never expected that the wedding will go through despite Aeri’s objection. Seeing Aeri being quiet at that was surprising as well. He wondered what was actually happening between Aeri and his grandmother that the wedding was concluded in a short time. Meanwhile on Aeri side, she stopped chewing her food at the announcement. She found it hard to continue eating after she heard that. She hated the fact that she had to surrender and accepted her life as it was because she had limited choices. She could feel Daniel’s gaze on her but chose to ignore it. She knew Daniel must be wondering how she could agree to it. Hah! If only she could tell what she had to go through just to marry him and secure him a reputation as a CEO. Her heart ached as she was reminded of Sungwoon, the love of her life whom she was unable to contact for the whole day. She was sure it had something to do with her grandma. She looked satisfied when she made the announcement.

“Sure, grandma.” Daniel answered after a moment of silence passed. Chairwoman Kang smiled at Daniel’s response. She knew Daniel will never disappoint her. She then turned to look at Aeri who hang her head low. She was now playing with her food which Chairwoman Kang dislike because it was impolite.

“What about you, Aeri?” Aeri stiffened for a moment but answered with a soft and weak voice after that. Her head was still hanging low. She refused to look at anyone.

“I understand.” Aeri’s answer shocked Daniel even more. To hear directly that Aeri finally agreed to the marriage made him even more curious. He set his eyes on Aeri once again, but she never looked up, so he turned to look at his grandmother who had a pleased smile on her face.

“Very well.” Chairwoman Kang made a short comment and continued to eat. Daniel followed suit even though he was astounded with current situation. The dinner was resumed with silence until Chairwoman Kang was done with her meal. She stood up from her seating to leave but not before she told Aeri.

“Come to the library after the dinner, Aeri.” Without waiting Aeri to reply, she went off to leave the dining room, leaving Daniel and Aeri alone in the room, despite the presence of maids waiting behind them. Aeri stopped eating once she heard that. She put down her utensils, finished off her drink and wiped before rising from her seat. Her act was watched by Daniel who was finally able to look at her expression. Even though he managed to see it, it was hard for him to decipher the expression she carried. Aeri made her steps to walk out of the room and Daniel eyes followed her but she stopped before reaching the exit, making Daniel nervous if she was about to turn around and caught him.

“I’ll marry you, oppa but I’ll never see you the same again. Everything change from the moment you agreed to marry me, and you don’t have any right to be upset over this.” Aeri voiced out and with that, she left the room. Daniel was taken aback by what Aeri said. A lot of things were going on in his mind after Aeri told him that. He leaned on the chair and released a deep sigh.

Aeri entered the library, a place she had been called frequently for the whole week. Her grandmother was waiting for her behind her desk, browsing a brochure in front of her. Aeri paid no attention to what brochure her grandmother was looking at with a smile on her face. She only wanted to know one thing.

“What did you do to Sungwoon oppa?” Aeri had no time to waste. She needed to know what was happening around her. She did not want to be in the dark because she wanted to fight, even if she knew she will fail at the end of the day. Chairwoman Kang smirked upon the question.

“I did what I need to do.”

“What did you do to Sungwoon oppa?” Aeri only wanted to hear the exact answer. To know that her grandmother did what she need to do sounded wicked to her and it wrenched her heart. The Aeri that day was not the same Aeri who led her department. She was emotionally exhausted and was physically weak. Even when she was asking the question for the second time, she was close to tear. She found herself shaking and her lips quivering.

“I’m sending him to America after your wedding and he will live there permanently with his wife. I’ve made it clear to him that there’s no way he’ll be with you or any other women other than his wife and the two of you are not going to contact each other from today onwards. You are going to prepare for the wedding, and I’ll handle the press. You may go to work after the news are out and you’re not going to answer any question asked. Anything regarding your marriage will come from me and Daniel until I tell you so. Do you understand, Aeri?” Chairwoman Kang explained her plan without no mercy, and it acted like multiple knifes stabbing Aeri over and over. A tear finally rolled down on her cheek even though she was containing her sorrow. Slowly, she took a step behind and kneel on the floor. Chairwoman Kang was alarmed by her action but stayed silent. She wanted to know what Aeri was up to.

“The only mistake I do in your eyes is to only love the man I treasure the most. Do I truly deserve all of this? You make me feel like a pet. You decide everything and expect me to follow everything you say. Don’t I have any choices in my life?” Aeri started.

“The last time I allow you to choose, you choose to be in love with someone’s husband. Seriously, Aeri? Don’t you feel guilty at all? How shameless.” Chairwoman Kang’s patience was about to snap when Aeri played victim. At some point, Chairwoman Kang knew she was being cruel, but she was doing it to protect the family, as claimed by her mind. At that, sobbing could be heard from Aeri despite her head hanging low.

“You think I’m that heartless, huh? I’m doing this to hide everything about your dirty scandal with Sungwoon from being known by the media and the whole family. Do you think you can survive if people learn about this? This is the best way I can do to protect our family’s name.” Chairwoman Kang was emotional as well. Truthfully, she was sad on what happened, but she had to protect the family first and she secretly believe there was a future for Aeri and Daniel. She trusted her instinct and decision. Aeri had no comeback to that. She kept crying and Chairwoman Kang could only stare at her in regret. She stood up and decided to leave Aeri alone but when she was about to reach the door, Aeri’s voice resounded.

“Just one last time, for one last time… please let me talk to Sungwoon oppa. Please, grandma. And I’ll do whatever you want.” Aeri pleaded in between her sobs. Chairwoman Kang looked down with a sigh upon the request.