|| e i g h t

Boomerang

The next morning, Aeri woke up to the sound of her alarm. She blinked her eyes a few times after opening it and rubbed it sleepily. She had a good sleep after dinner last night. It was probably because she had the chance to have dinner with her grandmother after she was woken up by the maid that evening. Daniel went back early too. The topic of Jihoon was clearly avoided during the dinner. Aeri was grateful Daniel could read the mood last night, so they continued the dinner by talking about the company and also their other cousins.

Aeri turned off her alarm and reached for her phone on the bedside table. She unlocked it to see a lot of notification, but she chose to ignore the others as soon as she saw Sungwoon’s text. It was a regular good morning greeting from him. As if it was a habit, Aeri’s lips curled into a smile before tapping on the call button to call him right away. As expected, Sungwoon did not take long to answer her call.

“Good morning, beautiful. How was your sleep?” Aeri laughed at his greeting.

“Oppa, that’s exactly what you wrote in the text.”

“I know, and I didn’t get the answer yet. Now answer me.” Sungwoon demanded. Aeri giggled but complied anyway.

“Good morning, my love. I had a good sleep last night thanks to the dinner I’ve been missing out this past few weeks. How about you?”

“I had a good sleep too. Have you read the news this morning?”

“What is it about? I haven’t read anything except for your text, oppa. You are more important than the news.” Aeri replied. Yet, she stood up and walked towards a coffee table in the middle of the room to grab her iPad. She was curious of the news following the scandal yesterday.

“It’s about the engagement.” Aeri’s shoulder slumped at the mention of the engagement. If it was about that, she obviously knew what kind of news it was. She put down the iPad as she no longer need it and sat down beside the coffee table.

“If it’s about that, then I know it already.”

“I’m happy for you, baby.” Aeri beamed at that. Of course, Sungwoon would be happy because he could worry less about Jihoon being around her. Sungwoon might not act like he trusted Aeri with Jihoon but Aeri knew very well that he was jealous so Aeri would say whatever to assure him that he was way better than Jihoon.

“I’m happy too, oppa. I can’t wait to see you, so we could celebrate this.” Aeri might be guilty yesterday but after a lot of thought, she preferred to be happy that she finally escaped an arranged marriage. She thought there was no use of any arranged marriage for her in the future as the arrangement for her and Jihoon was because of the collaboration between The K’s and Ennoia. Both were top company in fashion industry hence Aeri thought her grandmother had no one to find to match the heir of Ennoia. She was left assured by that thought.

“Me too but we have to wait until this issue resolved by its own. It’s dangerous for you to move around at time like this.”

“You’re right. After it’s settled, let’s go for a vacation, oppa.” Aeri suggested, suddenly reminded of the plan they made before this.

“That sounds perfect.” Sungwoon replied. Aeri frowned at the short reply but later she heard him talking to someone on the other side. His tone was cold so Aeri could figure out who he was talking to.

“I know. Just go first.” He told the other person, Aeri heard. Not long after that, Sungwoon was back on the conversation.

“Who was that?” Aeri did not wasted any time to ask that. She wanted to know if her guess was correct.

“It was my maid. She’s asking me to come for breakfast. So annoying.” Sungwoon answered. Aeri was flustered that her guess was wrong, but she felt relieved anyway. At least her mood was not affected with the mention of Jinhee’s name from Sungwoon.

“Oh, really? But you should have your breakfast by now. What time is it already? I have to get ready for my office too.”

“Hey, hold on. Is it okay for you to enter the office today?”

“Why not? I don’t have anything to do, oppa. I might get withdrawal symptoms if I don’t sit in my office and do my work by today.” She reasoned out. Sungwoon chuckled at her reply.

“Maybe it’s good if you have withdrawal symptoms. You’re such a workaholic, I wish you to stop.”

“You know you can’t, so stop trying.”

“One day I’ll stop you.”

“Oh really? How will you do it?”

“Maybe keeping you on the bed.”

“Oppa, go and eat your breakfast now.” Sungwoon went hysteric at her reply while Aeri shook her head with a smile. It was not usual for him to joke like that but when it happened, it left Aeri speechless by his boldness.

“Alright. I’ll listen to my baby unlike someone who doesn’t want to listen to his oppa.” Aeri did not have anything to answer to that because she was just as stubborn as Sungwoon thought of her and she knew Sungwoon did not mind it.

“Take care, oppa. Have a good day ahead. I love you!”

“Same goes to you. Take care and I love you more! Bye, love.” Aeri hummed and they ended the call. Aeri sighed in bliss as she stared at Sungwoon’s name on her phone. Now that she had a call with him, she missed him a lot. She wished time could be fast forward, so she could meet him sooner than she was supposed to. Aeri then looked at the time and quickly stood up to get ready as she was late by fifteen minutes from her usual morning routine.

Jinhee closed the door of her husband’s bedroom. It was a norm for her after getting married to knock on her husband’s bedroom every morning as they were sleeping in different room. She would knock for the first time of the day to wake him up and the next was to call him for breakfast. It was a norm for her too to receive cold reply from him. Sometimes he would chase her out because to him, she was annoying. Jinhee had nothing to say to that. She was only doing her duty as wife to a man who did not love her. He made it clear to her when they met for the first time, five years ago. That he would not love her, and he would not make any effort to love her as a wife.

Jinhee accepted it, thinking that she would do whatever to make him change his mind after their marriage. After all, he belonged to her. She understood when he wanted separate room for them, but she never thought it would last till now. Nobody knows about this arrangement except for the maids who were told to not interfere with their marriage. It never crossed Jinhee’s mind the possibility of him having another woman until she heard him talking on the phone with someone one night two years ago. His voice was so soft and warm unlike the way he talked to her. Jinhee peeked over and it was the first time she saw his dazzling smile, obviously delighted talking to the person.

Jinhee’s heart broke at that. She finally realized why her effort to be the best and most beautiful wife to him was disregarded. Jinhee never knew who the lucky woman was but she was envious of her. For that reason, Jinhee started to look down on herself. She forgot that she was the only heiress of Aloquent, a well-known cosmetic brand who was raised to be confident with her beauty and ability. Jinhee started to focus more on what she was lacking. People around her was not helping too. They kept asking when she was going to get pregnant, if she was eating and doing well or is there any problem that she could not conceive a child. It was not fair to her because she tried her best to catch the fancy of her husband. But what he did was ignoring her presence and treated her icily.

Jinhee never heard people around talk or ask her husband about child. It was all on her that she was starting to cower around people. It was suffocating. Nobody realized that marrying Ha Sungwoon had changed Ahn Jinhee that she could not remember how she was in the past who was a bright woman with beauty and brain.

“It was my maid. She’s asking me to come for breakfast. So annoying.” Jinhee’s ear perked at her husband sentences right after she closed the door. She could hear his voice as he was walking away from the door with a phone near his ear. He was referring her as a maid when it was his wife who was asking him to breakfast. Jinhee looked down and managed a smile. She told herself that she could not get upset over it, that she should learn to get use of it so that she could hurt less. Therefore, she walked down the stairs to wait for her husband.

It took Sungwoon a good ten minutes to get ready and reached the dining room. He looked at the food prepared that day and shrugged his shoulder as he convinced himself to eat. The menu suited his taste that day which were toast, scrambled egg, bacon and strawberry jam. It was simple but Sungwoon requested for it. It was a waste to have big breakfast since there was only the two of them. Jinhee was sitting silently in front of her, staring at the empty plate as she waited for Sungwoon. She was sitting still even though Sungwoon had started to drink coffee from his cup. Sungwoon frowned at her behaviour.

“What are you thinking of? You’re supposed to eat. Who is the one who call me for breakfast just now?” He asked with a harsh tone. Jinhee’s shoulder jumped at that. She quickly shook her head and reached for the toast in the middle of the table.

“What you would like to have?” She asked softly, ready to make his breakfast.

“Toast and scrambled egg.” He muttered after leering sharply at her. Jinhee proceeded with his order. She placed it on his plate and pushed it closer to him.

“Will you have lunch at home today? How about dinner?” Jinhee asked as she prepared her food this time. Sungwoon who was munching his food rolled his eyes at the routine question. He was bored of it. Jinhee had nothing to talk to him except for asking him and informing everything he needed to know. Jinhee noticed his reaction. She had always noticed his reaction at that question. But what else she could ask from him when he made in clear since day one that he was not interested with her and he wished her not to bother with his life.

“I’ll be home for dinner.” Sungwoon answered nevertheless. Jinhee smiled a bit at that. At least he never skipped dinner except when he had to attend a meeting. Jinhee never knew the night he was not having dinner at home was when he spent his time with Aeri. As for Sungwoon, he thought it was the least he could do to make their marriage looked genuine. He was already sleeping separately and treated her coldly. He thought he should not avoid her like that. After all, they were married for four years.

“I’ll cook your favourite dish today. So, I’ll be going to the supermarket later. Is it okay?” Jinhee asked. It was her habit to ask for his permission whenever she wanted to go somewhere because she did not want him to worry, if he worried, or be in trouble for not knowing her whereabout if their parents or any guests came to visit. Others did not need to know or wonder how their marriage worked.

“You can go wherever you want.” Sungwoon said carelessly. Jinhee took it as a yes. She responded with a smile and continued eating her breakfast. Jinhee admitted that she was a fool for her husband. A single respond from him was enough to make her day. If he let out a concerned tone, Jinhee would take it as a sign that he cared for her at the very least. For her, Sungwoon was not that cold and unbothered even though he hurt her from time to time with his words just like this morning. But Jinhee already forgot about it after knowing they were going to have dinner together.

Fifteen minutes passed, Sungwoon was done with his breakfast and was ready to go to the office. He walked out of the dining room without saying anything as he knew Jinhee would follow him like a puppy to send him off. As mentioned just now, it was a routine for them. It was routine too to see Sungwoon kept walking out of the door without saying good bye to Jinhee. Jinhee was the one who waved him good bye and asked him to drive safely which he obviously heard. Sungwoon thought it was bothersome at first but after some time, he got used to it as if it was a normal thing to hear like the announcement you hear in a mall.

Jinhee watched the car drove off, disappearing behind the main gate. She smiled to herself, remembering his respond for her today. Everyday might seemed the same to Sungwoon but he did not realize that his answer was variety. Only Jinhee noticed it and she kept it in her mind. It was one of the things that comforted her in this marriage, remembering the details so that it would never look the same, so that she would never be sad for the same reason. Giddily, she skipped inside and climbed the stairs to get ready for grocery shopping she planned to do.

Aeri’s lips formed a satisfied smile after she managed to convince her grandmother that she can enter her office that day. It was also thanks to Daniel who offered to drive her there, making the reporters less suspicious about her arrival if she was sent like any other staff in the building. Chairwoman Kang was still wary of the decision hence she set a condition in which Aeri had to head back quickly if the situation was out of control. Aeri agreed blindly to it and Chairwoman Kang agreed finally. Therefore, she was now sitting on the passenger seat beside Daniel who had his eyes on the road while driving. He was in his office wear so Aeri knew he was heading to his office instead of the boutique where he wore casual outfit.

“Thank you, oppa for driving me to the office.” Aeri stated. Daniel glanced at her while smiling.

“Nah, I know the boredom can kill you. I don’t want any homicide to happen in the house.” He joked which earned a light hit on his arm by Aeri who was laughing.

“Hey, it’s not that serious but yes, I can die because of that but not that soon.”

“It’s okay. I understand. So how do you do today? What did you feel about the news?” Daniel asked. He meant to ask the question after the dinner yesterday but considering Aeri’s feeling, he decided to keep it.

“I’m fine, don’t worry. It’s just a pity that it ends like this. Don’t you think so?” Daniel nodded his head while humming.

“So, you don’t have any feeling for Jihoon?” Daniel heard about it from Jisung actually and he was surprised to hear that. He thought Jisung was overreacting, but it sounded so true, Daniel wished to know the truth. Just like Jisung, he believed that Aeri and Jihoon were in love with each other. He even remembered the last time he about Jihoon.

“No, I just see him as a fiancé. I mean, as someone who is meant to marry me and that’s it. No romantic feeling involved. And I think it’s good that we broke it off. We can still continue with the collaboration between The K’s and Ennoia. Well, grandma said so. And I am confident you can fix it in the future, oppa.” Daniel chuckled at that.

“Grandma is the one who make the decision, Aeri.” He replied. Even though Daniel was sitting in the CEO position of The K’s it was as clear as crystal that the decision was on the hand of Chairwoman Kang. Daniel only had the position while Chairwoman Kang had the most share in the company which made her the most powerful one. Aeri shrugged her shoulder, did not mind who would be the one to set the deal and condition with Ennoia.

“And lastly, at least I’ll not involved in any arranged marriage now. I hope you won’t be in one too, oppa. You’re a nice guy. You deserved to marry a woman you love.” Daniel’s heart warmed upon her words. He was glad that Aeri thought of him like that. Moreover, she must never want him to be in her position.

“I hope so, Aeri.” He replied shortly. Daniel made a turn to enter the Ennoia’s building lobby. From the point he stopped the car, he could see the reporters swarming in front of the main entrance. There were a few guards and polices controlling the crowd.

“Are you sure you can make it safely, Aeri?” He asked and was surprised that Aeri was calm beside him. She already unbuckled the seatbelt and was ready to get off from the car.

“I’ll just pretend that I’m a staff here and entered naturally. Look at that woman, she walked in just like that since it’s not her they are searching for.” Aeri pointed at a female staff who casually walked into the building.

Daniel frowned as he thought it was not a really good idea. He was about to voice out but Aeri startled him by wearing a large spectacle, belonged to her. She usually wore it at home when she used the library to read books. Other than that, she would wear contact lens. She looked different with the spectacle and her formal outfit, convincing Daniel in one go that it would be okay to let Aeri off by herself.

“Thank you for driving me, oppa. Have a nice day at work. Bye!” Aeri said as she walked out and quickly closed the door before Daniel could even reply.

Daniel let out a sigh as he watched Aeri blending in with another staffs who were walking towards the main entrance to enter their office. He was ready to drive over if Aeri’s identity was busted. Fortunately, the reporters could not recognize her, so she entered the building safely. Daniel cackled to himself while shaking his head for underestimating Aeri. He then started driving, leaving the Ennoia building to his office.